Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

• App usage graphs wrong?

I appreciate that the usage graphs in the app are indicative rather than precise mathematical tools, but I have 4 months of usage data and in the last month gas consumption rose. The graph, however, shows a clear downwards slope between the last two points on the graph.

I assumed the graph was simply representing the figures shown above it? It's certainly not for me. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • I appreciate that the usage graphs in the app are indicative rather than precise mathematical tools, but I have 4 months of usage data and in the last month gas consumption rose. The graph, however, shows a clear downwards slope between the last two points on the graph.

I assumed the graph was simply representing the figures shown above it? It's certainly not for me. Has anyone else noticed this?

• Hi Talldave.
    I haven't noticed this on my graphs? Strange one that. Might be worth messaging the pp team in wattbot to see if there's an error in formatting?
  • Hi Talldave.
    I haven't noticed this on my graphs? Strange one that. Might be worth messaging the pp team in wattbot to see if there's an error in formatting?

• Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    I appreciate that the usage graphs in the app are indicative rather than precise mathematical tools, but I have 4 months of usage data and in the last month gas consumption rose. The graph, however, shows a clear downwards slope between the last two points on the graph.

Hey @talldave
    Any chance you could post a screengrab?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post

Hey @talldave
    Any chance you could post a screengrab?

• I'll try! Last two months' show an increase in consumption but the graph clearly drops.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
  • I'll try! Last two months' show an increase in consumption but the graph clearly drops.

• I’ve got the same issue with my gas usage graph for last month only where my consumption increased but graph shows a reduction. My electricity usage shows correctly.
  • I’ve got the same issue with my gas usage graph for last month only where my consumption increased but graph shows a reduction. My electricity usage shows correctly.

• My gas usage looks fine.

My real world elec usage went up very slightly this month and the graph shows a slight decrease tho.
  • My gas usage looks fine.

My real world elec usage went up very slightly this month and the graph shows a slight decrease tho.

• Same here....graph up when reading is down and vice versa.
    Gray4276
  • Same here....graph up when reading is down and vice versa.
    Gray4276

• Great thanks for the screenshots @talldave - that's really helpful.

We released an app update yesterday (you can read a post about it here) which included improvements to the usage graphs.

It may be worth updating your app and then checking your graphs to see if it's helped?

If not, any screenshots you can send would be great to help us look into it further
  • Great thanks for the screenshots @talldave - that's really helpful.

We released an app update yesterday (you can read a post about it here) which included improvements to the usage graphs.

It may be worth updating your app and then checking your graphs to see if it's helped?

If not, any screenshots you can send would be great to help us look into it further

• Still the same in the new version:
  • Still the same in the new version:

• Thank you @talldave for the pics and @Chris H @Jowl and @Gray4276 for the feedback..

We've been looking at this today and have managed to replicate the issue internally.

SO this has now been passed to our Tech Team to look into I'll let you know when I get any updates

Really helpful spot and glad we can look into getting this sorted!
  • Thank you @talldave for the pics and @Chris H @Jowl and @Gray4276 for the feedback..

We've been looking at this today and have managed to replicate the issue internally.

SO this has now been passed to our Tech Team to look into I'll let you know when I get any updates

Really helpful spot and glad we can look into getting this sorted!

• This graph is meant to show values of 241.5, 330, 252 and 278.1.

So it's actually the third value of 252 that's plotted wrong, as it should almost be as low as the first value.

This may be the issue with my gas graph too.
  • This graph is meant to show values of 241.5, 330, 252 and 278.1.

So it's actually the third value of 252 that's plotted wrong, as it should almost be as low as the first value.

This may be the issue with my gas graph too.

• I have an explanation for you @talldave @Chris H @Jowl @Gray4276!

The graphs are calculated by taking your month's usage, dividing it by the number of the days in that month, and then plotting that month's average day usage on the graph.

That's also why there's no value on the y axis...

There's reasons we had to do it this way (sometimes people need statements that cover a larger period than one month, so we needed a way of being able to incorporate these into the graph too)

So that explains why even if your usage is higher overall, it may not show as an increase on the graph.

We've got some improvements coming for the graphs over the next few months which should make them a lot clearer so your opinions and feedback are really great as we look at how we best improve these

Hope that helps clear things up?
  • I have an explanation for you @talldave @Chris H @Jowl @Gray4276!

The graphs are calculated by taking your month's usage, dividing it by the number of the days in that month, and then plotting that month's average day usage on the graph.

There's reasons we had to do it this way (sometimes people need statements that cover a larger period than one month, so we needed a way of being able to incorporate these into the graph too)

So that explains why even if your usage is higher overall, it may not show as an increase on the graph.

We've got some improvements coming for the graphs over the next few months which should make them a lot clearer so your opinions and feedback are really great as we look at how we best improve these

• Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
    I have an explanation for you @talldave @Chris H @Jowl @Gray4276!

Hi Nataly,
    If the graph readings go down instead of up and vice versa.....then there is no point to them. Please keep them "simple" and don't over complicate the computations, if this then gives "spurious (at best) " readings.
    Gray4276
  • Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
    I have an explanation for you @talldave @Chris H @Jowl @Gray4276!

Hi Nataly,
    If the graph readings go down instead of up and vice versa.....then there is no point to them. Please keep them "simple" and don't over complicate the computations, if this then gives "spurious (at best) " readings.
    Gray4276

• Its making me yawn all this APP graph stuff.
    But saying that I have my Graphs based on what I want to see.
    I guess that most of the members who are constantly analysing the analysis have got there own too.
    Is it that the APP facility is not currently best suited to graphs..(I don't know...) and would not a bar chart be better suited.
    Is it a case of trying to be all things to all... it's never gonna satisfy.
  • Its making me yawn all this APP graph stuff.
    But saying that I have my Graphs based on what I want to see.
    I guess that most of the members who are constantly analysing the analysis have got there own too.
    Is it that the APP facility is not currently best suited to graphs..(I don't know...) and would not a bar chart be better suited.
    Is it a case of trying to be all things to all... it's never gonna satisfy.

• Hi Nataly,

Thanks for the reply. The fact that it's taken a week to get an answer to what shouldn't even be a problem tells you that the way this is being done.

It's irrational, in a section showing monthly usage data, to decide to plot a graph of daily usage when you click the compare button to get a graph. I thought I was comparing monthly figures.

If your design "experts" insist that this is really what they want, then the button needs to be renamed "compare daily usage" and "daily kWh" needs to appear on the graph!
  • Hi Nataly,

Thanks for the reply. The fact that it's taken a week to get an answer to what shouldn't even be a problem tells you that the way this is being done.

It's irrational, in a section showing monthly usage data, to decide to plot a graph of daily usage when you click the compare button to get a graph. I thought I was comparing monthly figures.

If your design "experts" insist that this is really what they want, then the button needs to be renamed "compare daily usage" and "daily kWh" needs to appear on the graph!

• All we need is a simple monthly usage graph..... Please don't overcomplicated what should be a simple process. Sometimes..... clever isn't clever.
    K. I. S. S
    Gray4276
  • All we need is a simple monthly usage graph..... Please don't overcomplicated what should be a simple process. Sometimes..... clever isn't clever.
    K. I. S. S
    Gray4276

• I'm at a loss for words here...not like me I know, why on earth would you want to plot average daily use over a variable period, a figure which can be skewed by all sorts of things?

If I use 500kWh in March (or on my March Statement) I want to see 500 on the chart, BUT if you insist on plotting the average (which might be skewed because I went on holiday, or Auntie Flo was staying (she suffers from selective hypothermia depending on who is paying for the heating) then you HAVE to make it an optional display and not the default. (and make the time period for averaging clear)
    The only other way is to fix the number of days to always be the same (more or less) over that plot period then it will reflect the same shape as the actual units used because the divisor will be constant
    The daily average is only meaningful over a year or a season anyway in my opinion.
    I think, if your developers have explained this properly, you need to have a word with them.
    Who thought this one up?
    (I won't quote Victor Meldrew's famous line but I'd like to)

​As ever opinions may differ...
    Last edited by woz; 24-04-19 at 14:01.
  • I'm at a loss for words here...not like me I know, why on earth would you want to plot average daily use over a variable period, a figure which can be skewed by all sorts of things?

If I use 500kWh in March (or on my March Statement) I want to see 500 on the chart, BUT if you insist on plotting the average (which might be skewed because I went on holiday, or Auntie Flo was staying (she suffers from selective hypothermia depending on who is paying for the heating) then you HAVE to make it an optional display and not the default. (and make the time period for averaging clear)
    The only other way is to fix the number of days to always be the same (more or less) over that plot period then it will reflect the same shape as the actual units used because the divisor will be constant
    The daily average is only meaningful over a year or a season anyway in my opinion.
    I think, if your developers have explained this properly, you need to have a word with them.
    Who thought this one up?
    (I won't quote Victor Meldrew's famous line but I'd like to)

​As ever opinions may differ...

• I totally agree with Woz..... Far too clever to be of any use to anyone.
    Gray4276
  • I totally agree with Woz..... Far too clever to be of any use to anyone.
    Gray4276

• I checked and having done the daily mathematical gymnastics, my graphs are correct. But the design concept must have come from someone who's never paid energy bills!! Please please change it.
  • I checked and having done the daily mathematical gymnastics, my graphs are correct. But the design concept must have come from someone who's never paid energy bills!! Please please change it.

• Hey @talldave @The Thinker @ChrisH @Jowl @woz @Gray4276

I'm sort of catching up on this having been away over Easter. As @Nataly posted above our tech and app team are looking at improving these graphs.
    I want to share my own account graph with you:
    I got a consolidated bill for the Oct to March period. Here's how my usage looks:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pure Planet consolidated bill.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	2037

If the graph included a y axis it wouldn't be readable in the app because the March reading would be 3079kWh for elec, compared to 606kWh in April. And 9111kWh for gas usage, compared with 946kWh in April. The graph would just look.... weird!

This is why we use a daily average. But of course this has created some confusion when Members see a fall in their graph for the month of Feb when they've actually used more energy! That's because Feb has fewer days, you see, which means the average is lower.....

Your feedback is spot on, and really useful. We def agree that we need some graphs that are much more accurate.
    My own feeling is that some Members are happy with how the graphs give them a general view of their energy usage and make them think a bit more about conserving energy and saving money. Others want all the detail.
    Check out this poll from @woz about this

So we're looking into different graphs for different views. Some which are general at-at-glance. Others which have all the detail.

• Hey @talldave @The Thinker @ChrisH @Jowl @woz @Gray4276

I'm sort of catching up on this having been away over Easter. As @Nataly posted above our tech and app team are looking at improving these graphs.
    I want to share my own account graph with you:
    I got a consolidated bill for the Oct to March period. Here's how my usage looks:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pure Planet consolidated bill.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	2037

If the graph included a y axis it wouldn't be readable in the app because the March reading would be 3079kWh for elec, compared to 606kWh in April. And 9111kWh for gas usage, compared with 946kWh in April. The graph would just look.... weird!

This is why we use a daily average. But of course this has created some confusion when Members see a fall in their graph for the month of Feb when they've actually used more energy! That's because Feb has fewer days, you see, which means the average is lower.....

Your feedback is spot on, and really useful. We def agree that we need some graphs that are much more accurate.
    My own feeling is that some Members are happy with how the graphs give them a general view of their energy usage and make them think a bit more about conserving energy and saving money. Others want all the detail.
    Check out this poll from @woz about this

So we're looking into different graphs for different views. Some which are general at-at-glance. Others which have all the detail.