• Large leaving bill.

I’ve had a large leaving bill from my previous supplier, I would like my meter checked to ensure it’s not faulty
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • I’ve had a large leaving bill from my previous supplier, I would like my meter checked to ensure it’s not faulty
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

hi Lindjan
    A few quick checks before you start any checking process could potentially save you a lot of money.
    Meter faults are relatively rare.
    The first thing to check is the readings used by your previous company are actual readings not estimated.
    Check whether your usage is looking reasonable by looking at actual readings (not estimated ones) from a few months ago and readings from now. You can then work out if your average usage over a few months looks reasonable.
    Finally it's easy to check your meter yourself.
    If you post some details of the above and tell us which meter (gas or leccy) we can talk you through checking it
    Finally start taking readings before you go to bed and first thig in the morning, do that over at least a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindjan View Post
    I’ve had a large leaving bill from my previous supplier, I would like my meter checked to ensure it’s not faulty
  • hi Lindjan
    A few quick checks before you start any checking process could potentially save you a lot of money.
    Meter faults are relatively rare.
    The first thing to check is the readings used by your previous company are actual readings not estimated.
    Check whether your usage is looking reasonable by looking at actual readings (not estimated ones) from a few months ago and readings from now. You can then work out if your average usage over a few months looks reasonable.
    Finally it's easy to check your meter yourself.
    If you post some details of the above and tell us which meter (gas or leccy) we can talk you through checking it
    Finally start taking readings before you go to bed and first thig in the morning, do that over at least a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindjan View Post

• hello,
    as far as I know, pp don't do call outs like this
    this would need to be arranged by your previous supplier
    I hope this helps
    __
  • hello,
    as far as I know, pp don't do call outs like this
    this would need to be arranged by your previous supplier
    I hope this helps
    __

• Quote Originally Posted by Lindjan View Post
    Hi there,
    Here's some advice from Which:
    If you’re worried your meter is running fast, you could try turning off all your appliances and watching the meter. It shouldn’t still be registering significant amounts of energy.

If you suspect your meter is faulty, you should record regular meter readings. These will help prove your case.

Get your meter tested
    Energy suppliers are required to investigate faulty meters. So if you suspect your meter is faulty, contact your supplier and ask them to carry out a test.

Electricity meters are initially tested on-site by your supplier, who will carry out a preliminary check.

If the test is inconclusive or if you're unhappy with the findings, you can request that an independent expert tests the meter at an independent laboratory.

Gas meters can’t easily be tested on-site so will be sent away to an independent laboratory.

You have the right to witness tests being carried out if you wish. The results will show if the meter was inaccurate and by how much.

If your meter is sent away to be tested, your supplier will fit a new meter beforehand so you won't be left without one for the duration of the test.

Paying for a test
    Testing of meters is free but suppliers can charge for the cost of removing and replacing your disputed meter.

Unfortunately there is no set rule on how much this should cost. Ask your supplier about cost up front so you're happy with how much you'll have to pay.

Be aware that any cost will only be refunded if your meter is actually inaccurate so try to gather as much evidence as possible before reaching the test stage.

Can I get a refund?
    If you have been overcharged, your supplier should refund you for the period that your meter was faulty.

If you have been undercharged, your supplier shouldn’t back-bill you for more than 12 months.

Hope that helps
    Stephen
  • Quote Originally Posted by Lindjan View Post
    Hi there,
    Here's some advice from Which:
    If you’re worried your meter is running fast, you could try turning off all your appliances and watching the meter. It shouldn’t still be registering significant amounts of energy.

If you suspect your meter is faulty, you should record regular meter readings. These will help prove your case.

Get your meter tested
    Energy suppliers are required to investigate faulty meters. So if you suspect your meter is faulty, contact your supplier and ask them to carry out a test.

Electricity meters are initially tested on-site by your supplier, who will carry out a preliminary check.

If the test is inconclusive or if you're unhappy with the findings, you can request that an independent expert tests the meter at an independent laboratory.

Gas meters can’t easily be tested on-site so will be sent away to an independent laboratory.

You have the right to witness tests being carried out if you wish. The results will show if the meter was inaccurate and by how much.

If your meter is sent away to be tested, your supplier will fit a new meter beforehand so you won't be left without one for the duration of the test.

Paying for a test
    Testing of meters is free but suppliers can charge for the cost of removing and replacing your disputed meter.

Unfortunately there is no set rule on how much this should cost. Ask your supplier about cost up front so you're happy with how much you'll have to pay.

Be aware that any cost will only be refunded if your meter is actually inaccurate so try to gather as much evidence as possible before reaching the test stage.

Can I get a refund?
    If you have been overcharged, your supplier should refund you for the period that your meter was faulty.

If you have been undercharged, your supplier shouldn’t back-bill you for more than 12 months.

Hope that helps
    Stephen