• Too Confusing on How Much I am Paying A Year

Hi,

I am thinking to switching to British Gas fixed term for 12 months, this is because I know I will be paying £79 a month, where with Pure Planet it all seems up in the air.

I have been in credit for a while, currently I am £117 in credit, yet this month I will be paying £83 according to your app, yet on your website when I put in the energy usage I should only be paying £50.

I thought I would at least give you guys the chance to give me a decent reply before I switch.

Thanks

Hardeep
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Hi,

I am thinking to switching to British Gas fixed term for 12 months, this is because I know I will be paying £79 a month, where with Pure Planet it all seems up in the air.

I have been in credit for a while, currently I am £117 in credit, yet this month I will be paying £83 according to your app, yet on your website when I put in the energy usage I should only be paying £50.

I thought I would at least give you guys the chance to give me a decent reply before I switch.

Thanks

Hardeep
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hi Hardeep

This is one thing that really bugs me about how people compare energy suppliers. It should not be based on what your direct debit will be. DD is a way of spreading the total yearly cost across the months to account for lower summer usage and higher winter usage - it should not be the basis for comparison between suppliers.

The best way to do this is check the unit rates themselves. How much will BG charge you per unit of gas and electricity? How much discount is there? What's their standing charge? Compare those, not what the direct debit calculator has managed to spit out.

Plus, price isn't always the deciding factor. Can BG boast renewable energy? I don't think so.
  • Hi Hardeep

This is one thing that really bugs me about how people compare energy suppliers. It should not be based on what your direct debit will be. DD is a way of spreading the total yearly cost across the months to account for lower summer usage and higher winter usage - it should not be the basis for comparison between suppliers.

The best way to do this is check the unit rates themselves. How much will BG charge you per unit of gas and electricity? How much discount is there? What's their standing charge? Compare those, not what the direct debit calculator has managed to spit out.

Plus, price isn't always the deciding factor. Can BG boast renewable energy? I don't think so.

• Hi, you are talking to fellow customers on this forum.

If you want to get a message to PP- You need to send your message to the team directly via Wattbot.if you go to the app and click on the 3 lines at the top right, then click on help, then ask Wattbot, and type in 'message the team' then you can send them your message. Might take a couple of days to get back to you, but they will.
  • Hi, you are talking to fellow customers on this forum.

If you want to get a message to PP- You need to send your message to the team directly via Wattbot.if you go to the app and click on the 3 lines at the top right, then click on help, then ask Wattbot, and type in 'message the team' then you can send them your message. Might take a couple of days to get back to you, but they will.

• First of all Mr Smarty Pants, I don't appreciate the tone of your message. What I would like to know is how much I am actually spending over the course of the year, surely there is a a better way of figuring this out. Secondly, I don't care if British Gas are using renewable energy, I want my energy cheap. Lastly, the price I quoted was fixed, you might of missed that in my message.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I will try that, much appreciated
  • First of all Mr Smarty Pants, I don't appreciate the tone of your message. What I would like to know is how much I am actually spending over the course of the year, surely there is a a better way of figuring this out. Secondly, I don't care if British Gas are using renewable energy, I want my energy cheap. Lastly, the price I quoted was fixed, you might of missed that in my message.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I will try that, much appreciated

• Good afternoon Hardeep,

Welcome to the community: -

This forum is supported by PP.
    But the above communications are customer members like ourselves just providing some advice.
    I think the advice you have been given is sound; but I understand that the internation of messages can be interpreted differently from person to person, and to fair I have only ever seen great advice from the above customers.

As another customer:
    Just to add to the previous advice and feedback is that PP's welcome letter advises that your DD is split by the winter months paying 60% of your annual projection for 6 months from October reducing to 40% of your annual projection from April for the remaining 6 months.
    Your DD gets reviewed and could be adjusted dependant on your usage.
    I'm assuming you know your usage so you can proceed to a switch site and do a comparison.
    PP are really fair apart from the clean cost price energy (not your main consideration) there is only 1 tariff with no exit fee.

I think you should proceed to contact PP direct and get a team members response
    Re Open Help in the APP
    Open Ask wattBot - First Type "Message the Team"
    Post your question and a response from a team member will take approx 2 days and often sooner.
    Response back in the APP and text prompt if you forget to look.

Sorry in advance if any of my message upsets as that was not my objective and good luck going forward

NB: Don't leave for the sake of leaving your feed back counts
    Last edited by Strutt G; 11-04-19 at 16:10.
  • Good afternoon Hardeep,

Welcome to the community: -

This forum is supported by PP.
    But the above communications are customer members like ourselves just providing some advice.
    I think the advice you have been given is sound; but I understand that the internation of messages can be interpreted differently from person to person, and to fair I have only ever seen great advice from the above customers.

As another customer:
    Just to add to the previous advice and feedback is that PP's welcome letter advises that your DD is split by the winter months paying 60% of your annual projection for 6 months from October reducing to 40% of your annual projection from April for the remaining 6 months.
    Your DD gets reviewed and could be adjusted dependant on your usage.
    I'm assuming you know your usage so you can proceed to a switch site and do a comparison.
    PP are really fair apart from the clean cost price energy (not your main consideration) there is only 1 tariff with no exit fee.

I think you should proceed to contact PP direct and get a team members response
    Re Open Help in the APP
    Open Ask wattBot - First Type "Message the Team"
    Post your question and a response from a team member will take approx 2 days and often sooner.
    Response back in the APP and text prompt if you forget to look.

Sorry in advance if any of my message upsets as that was not my objective and good luck going forward

NB: Don't leave for the sake of leaving your feed back counts

• Quote Originally Posted by Hardeep View Post
    Hi,

Thanks

Hardeep
    Hi Hardeep

I thought I would add my comments in the hope that it might help...

If you opt for a fixed rate tariff, then it's the rate that is fixed, not your direct debit. The amount of your direct debit depends on how much energy you use - most people use roughly the same each year, but a cold spell in particular can push your usage up, and therefore BG would increase your direct debit to cover your increased usage. Or if we have a very mild winter your usage will go down, and your direct debit would be reduced.

Comparison sites work by taking your figures for your usage and working out what you would pay for that over a year.

I've just checked for my area and on my usage the BG one year fixed rate is estimated to be £29 cheaper than Pure Planet.

So is it automatically a better deal? In terms of price, the biggest factor is what happens to the wholesale market (and how companies react to any changes). If prices go up, then a fixed rate tariff protects you against increases, in this case for a year. But if prices go down, you are fixed at paying a higher rate, and there is a £60 fee if you leave early.

Pure Planet promises that if prices go down, then they will reduce their rates. So in one sense your decision on price is a gamble - you have to decide what you think is most likely to happen to prices, and the best you can do is make an educated guess!

The bit I can't comment on is why you are getting such a low predicted direct debit figure from the website. Your current direct debit payment was quoted to you based on your usage in the year before you joined.

In the end, your fellow customers are right - the absolutely accurate way to compare is to check the rates - how much will you pay for each unit of energy used, plus the standing charge/membership fee.

Hope that's some help, alongside the other answers.

Stephen
  • Quote Originally Posted by Hardeep View Post
    Hi,

Thanks

Hardeep
    Hi Hardeep

I thought I would add my comments in the hope that it might help...

If you opt for a fixed rate tariff, then it's the rate that is fixed, not your direct debit. The amount of your direct debit depends on how much energy you use - most people use roughly the same each year, but a cold spell in particular can push your usage up, and therefore BG would increase your direct debit to cover your increased usage. Or if we have a very mild winter your usage will go down, and your direct debit would be reduced.

Comparison sites work by taking your figures for your usage and working out what you would pay for that over a year.

I've just checked for my area and on my usage the BG one year fixed rate is estimated to be £29 cheaper than Pure Planet.

So is it automatically a better deal? In terms of price, the biggest factor is what happens to the wholesale market (and how companies react to any changes). If prices go up, then a fixed rate tariff protects you against increases, in this case for a year. But if prices go down, you are fixed at paying a higher rate, and there is a £60 fee if you leave early.

Pure Planet promises that if prices go down, then they will reduce their rates. So in one sense your decision on price is a gamble - you have to decide what you think is most likely to happen to prices, and the best you can do is make an educated guess!

The bit I can't comment on is why you are getting such a low predicted direct debit figure from the website. Your current direct debit payment was quoted to you based on your usage in the year before you joined.

In the end, your fellow customers are right - the absolutely accurate way to compare is to check the rates - how much will you pay for each unit of energy used, plus the standing charge/membership fee.

Hope that's some help, alongside the other answers.

Stephen

• Hi @Hardeep,

The best comparison is the actual price per unit, as mentioned by some other members above.

We all hope you find a supplier that suits you.
  • Hi @Hardeep,

The best comparison is the actual price per unit, as mentioned by some other members above.

We all hope you find a supplier that suits you.

• hi Hardeep
    this is easily fixable if it needs fixing...and it need not be at all confusing if you read what was sent to you.

Your quote should have detailed what your payments should be.

Can you go back to your original quote and see what it says your annual estimate is?
    If it's at variance with your known actual usage you'll need to ask PP to adjust the DD, which you can do by typing "message the team" in help in the app and ask for it to be changed with an explanation of why you think it's wrong.
    They will change it if it is but read on, because I suspect it isn't going to be £83, although i may be wrong.

Do you know that payments are lower in the warmer months?

If your October to March payments were £83 (I'm assuming that's the case sorry if I'm wrong) then that would change to £55.33 from April to Sept.
    That would give you an annual figure of £830, which were you to pay it in 12 equal payments (which is not an option with PP) equals £69.17 a month, which is less than BG's £79.
    What was your March payment?
    (If I'm incorrect and your Summer payments are £83 that would put winter payments at £124.50 which seems unlikely if BG was £79 as PP who are cheaper than BG would work out at an equivalent £103.75 so that can't be? if it is you need to get it changed asap as above)

If you fix the confusion rather than switching to BG it will cost you much less...

​I wonder if the app is showing the correct figure?
    Although checking unit prices and standing charges or membership fee is useful, that's what comparison websites are there for so I disagree that it should be necessary to drill into the detail to compare and in fact most people don't want to look at that amount of detail the caveat being as long as when you compare you do it for the same energy usage.

​Come back if you have any questions, but have a look at your original quote email if you still have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardeep View Post
    Hi,

Thanks

Hardeep
    Last edited by woz; 13-04-19 at 00:45.
  • hi Hardeep
    this is easily fixable if it needs fixing...and it need not be at all confusing if you read what was sent to you.

Your quote should have detailed what your payments should be.

Can you go back to your original quote and see what it says your annual estimate is?
    If it's at variance with your known actual usage you'll need to ask PP to adjust the DD, which you can do by typing "message the team" in help in the app and ask for it to be changed with an explanation of why you think it's wrong.
    They will change it if it is but read on, because I suspect it isn't going to be £83, although i may be wrong.

Do you know that payments are lower in the warmer months?

If your October to March payments were £83 (I'm assuming that's the case sorry if I'm wrong) then that would change to £55.33 from April to Sept.
    That would give you an annual figure of £830, which were you to pay it in 12 equal payments (which is not an option with PP) equals £69.17 a month, which is less than BG's £79.
    What was your March payment?
    (If I'm incorrect and your Summer payments are £83 that would put winter payments at £124.50 which seems unlikely if BG was £79 as PP who are cheaper than BG would work out at an equivalent £103.75 so that can't be? if it is you need to get it changed asap as above)

If you fix the confusion rather than switching to BG it will cost you much less...

​I wonder if the app is showing the correct figure?
    Although checking unit prices and standing charges or membership fee is useful, that's what comparison websites are there for so I disagree that it should be necessary to drill into the detail to compare and in fact most people don't want to look at that amount of detail the caveat being as long as when you compare you do it for the same energy usage.

​Come back if you have any questions, but have a look at your original quote email if you still have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardeep View Post
    Hi,

Thanks

Hardeep