• Price

Hi, I thought Pure Planet was supposed to be a low price. I'm paying 13.787p for a unit of electricity. Scottish Power have just offered me 12.728 and on Gas I'm paying 3.287 and Scottish Power have offered me 2.12 per unit. Is anyone else looking at other suppliers and if so, which companies have you found to be offering better deals? Tym.
  • Hi, I thought Pure Planet was supposed to be a low price. I'm paying 13.787p for a unit of electricity. Scottish Power have just offered me 12.728 and on Gas I'm paying 3.287 and Scottish Power have offered me 2.12 per unit. Is anyone else looking at other suppliers and if so, which companies have you found to be offering better deals? Tym.

• I checked around in November and there was no one cheaper the PP
  • I checked around in November and there was no one cheaper the PP

• Hi Tym,
    You need to look at the big picture......it's not all about the "cheapest" fuel unit price, the dual fuel discount and the standing charge (membership fee as PP call it) are all part of the overall package. Also your PP DD payments are worked out on the "proposed annual usage figures" that you "should have" supplied to PP when you were deciding to switch your supplier.
    I agree that there may be lower unit rates from a different supplier, but it's all up to you to ascertain which is the best deal for you, and whether you want to switch to a new supplier every time you think that you can get a better deal. PP don't lock you in to a specified timescale and PP also don't charge an exit fee, so you can leave any time that you want to. Please note tho' that it's your responsibility to contact your new proposed supplier, and supply an accurate final meter reading to PP to instigate the leaving process. Also dependant on suppliers, it can take up to 6 weeks to switch supplier.
    I hope this helps you to decide on which course of action you want to take.....switch or stay.....the choice is yours. Personally.....I'm a fan of PP and what they are trying to achieve in this business. Oh, and I'm a PP customer and do not work for PP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tym View Post
    Hi, I thought Pure Planet was supposed to be a low price. I'm paying 13.787p for a unit of electricity. Scottish Power have just offered me 12.728 and on Gas I'm paying 3.287 and Scottish Power have offered me 2.12 per unit. Is anyone else looking at other suppliers and if so, which companies have you found to be offering better deals? Tym.
    Gray4276
  • Hi Tym,
    You need to look at the big picture......it's not all about the "cheapest" fuel unit price, the dual fuel discount and the standing charge (membership fee as PP call it) are all part of the overall package. Also your PP DD payments are worked out on the "proposed annual usage figures" that you "should have" supplied to PP when you were deciding to switch your supplier.
    I agree that there may be lower unit rates from a different supplier, but it's all up to you to ascertain which is the best deal for you, and whether you want to switch to a new supplier every time you think that you can get a better deal. PP don't lock you in to a specified timescale and PP also don't charge an exit fee, so you can leave any time that you want to. Please note tho' that it's your responsibility to contact your new proposed supplier, and supply an accurate final meter reading to PP to instigate the leaving process. Also dependant on suppliers, it can take up to 6 weeks to switch supplier.
    I hope this helps you to decide on which course of action you want to take.....switch or stay.....the choice is yours. Personally.....I'm a fan of PP and what they are trying to achieve in this business. Oh, and I'm a PP customer and do not work for PP.

Gray4276

• As a user of 55-60,000 kWh of gas annually, unit gas price is the only influencer in my switching decisions. Whilst I'm more than happy with PP, I'm paying 3.381p and am gutted to see that SSE have a U switch tariff at 2.499p. That would save me £450 a year. Is there a PP price cut coming or am I going to have to depart only months after getting here?
  • As a user of 55-60,000 kWh of gas annually, unit gas price is the only influencer in my switching decisions. Whilst I'm more than happy with PP, I'm paying 3.381p and am gutted to see that SSE have a U switch tariff at 2.499p. That would save me £450 a year. Is there a PP price cut coming or am I going to have to depart only months after getting here?

• hi Tym
    did that deal come from a switching website, if so which and what were the conditions attached, like exit fees, one year fix, and having to have a smart meter installed for example?
    That deal hasn’t come up for me on 2 switch websites so far.
    2.12p/unit inc vat is very cheap, at the risk of sounding cynical it sounds too good to be true so what’s the snag?
  • hi Tym
    did that deal come from a switching website, if so which and what were the conditions attached, like exit fees, one year fix, and having to have a smart meter installed for example?
    That deal hasn’t come up for me on 2 switch websites so far.
    2.12p/unit inc vat is very cheap, at the risk of sounding cynical it sounds too good to be true so what’s the snag?

• hi talldave
    ​TheSSE deal is an outlier available through uswitch only, it’s a one year deal with £30/fuel exit penalties and you have to have a smart meter installed by SSE as part of the deal.
    After a year it reverts to a standard tariff.
    Daily standing charges are significantly higher than pp, which tells me it’s aimed at higher consumption users which you obviously are. I have no idea if the energy has any green credentials
    All that said energy prices have reduced and PP although quite competitive is creeping up slightly relative to a few cheaper providers most of whom I vulped not consider using.

Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    As a user of 55-60,000 kWh of gas annually, unit gas price is the only influencer in my switching decisions. Whilst I'm more than happy with PP, I'm paying 3.381p and am gutted to see that SSE have a U switch tariff at 2.499p. That would save me £450 a year. Is there a PP price cut coming or am I going to have to depart only months after getting here?
  • hi talldave
    ​TheSSE deal is an outlier available through uswitch only, it’s a one year deal with £30/fuel exit penalties and you have to have a smart meter installed by SSE as part of the deal.
    Daily standing charges are significantly higher than pp, which tells me it’s aimed at higher consumption users which you obviously are. I have no idea if the energy has any green credentials
    All that said energy prices have reduced and PP although quite competitive is creeping up slightly relative to a few cheaper providers most of whom I vulped not consider using.

As a user of 55-60,000 kWh of gas annually, unit gas price is the only influencer in my switching decisions. Whilst I'm more than happy with PP, I'm paying 3.381p and am gutted to see that SSE have a U switch tariff at 2.499p. That would save me £450 a year. Is there a PP price cut coming or am I going to have to depart only months after getting here?

• I've just been on the SP website, their cheapest quote was about 18% higher than PP's current prices overall.
    ...and you've been offered gas at 2.12p/unit ...?
    Maybe it's a typo and you meant 3.12? even so....still nowhere near the quote I just looked at
    Can you redact details and show us the offer please? Also what are the daily charges?
    Last edited by woz; 22-04-19 at 00:48.
  • I've just been on the SP website, their cheapest quote was about 18% higher than PP's current prices overall.
    Maybe it's a typo and you meant 3.12? even so....still nowhere near the quote I just looked at
    Can you redact details and show us the offer please? Also what are the daily charges?

• hi Angela
    ​There are now a few cheaper providers, but whether you'd want to switch to them is a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelabikerbabe View Post
    I checked around in November and there was no one cheaper the PP
  • hi Angela
    ​There are now a few cheaper providers, but whether you'd want to switch to them is a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelabikerbabe View Post
    I checked around in November and there was no one cheaper the PP

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi talldave
    Hi Woz, thanks for the detailed reply.

Smart meters - no problem with this if it's part of the deal, although would prefer SMETS2 to ease future switches. I don't care if letting agents/landlord don't like it as the service they've provided is disgustingly poor - you'll see from my first ever posts that my switch to PP was delayed by several weeks because the electricity meter was still listed as commercial in the national database.

As you appreciated, standing charges are lost in the noise, as are £30 penalties (if I need to switch again), of a £2k5+ annual bill.

Not sure about the green-ness but my conscience is clear when I can save my family budget getting on for £500! Whilst gas consumption is a lost cause here, I do my bit to minimise electricity consumption; I gave up using the downstairs toilet during winter because I refuse to run the electric heating it needs, for example.

I agree on some of the less heard of companies (although I've previously gambled on Zog & So without any regrets). SSE I can bear. But if PP want to react and lower the gas price, I'd love to stay!!
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi talldave

Smart meters - no problem with this if it's part of the deal, although would prefer SMETS2 to ease future switches. I don't care if letting agents/landlord don't like it as the service they've provided is disgustingly poor - you'll see from my first ever posts that my switch to PP was delayed by several weeks because the electricity meter was still listed as commercial in the national database.

As you appreciated, standing charges are lost in the noise, as are £30 penalties (if I need to switch again), of a £2k5+ annual bill.

Not sure about the green-ness but my conscience is clear when I can save my family budget getting on for £500! Whilst gas consumption is a lost cause here, I do my bit to minimise electricity consumption; I gave up using the downstairs toilet during winter because I refuse to run the electric heating it needs, for example.

I agree on some of the less heard of companies (although I've previously gambled on Zog & So without any regrets). SSE I can bear. But if PP want to react and lower the gas price, I'd love to stay!!

• As far as I know, where it is viable to upgrade 1st gen meters to smets2, that is the preferred option as it saves on more hardware.
    ​If not possible then a new smets2 meter is fitted.

Smart meters - no problem with this if it's part of the deal, although would prefer SMETS2 to ease future switches.
  • As far as I know, where it is viable to upgrade 1st gen meters to smets2, that is the preferred option as it saves on more hardware.
    ​If not possible then a new smets2 meter is fitted.

Smart meters - no problem with this if it's part of the deal, although would prefer SMETS2 to ease future switches.

• Just adding to my own post, I forgot to add that the SP website allows you to compare to your current supplier.
    ​PP are missing from the list of suppliers....
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    I've just been on the SP website, their cheapest quote was about 18% higher than PP's current prices overall.
  • Just adding to my own post, I forgot to add that the SP website allows you to compare to your current supplier.
    ​PP are missing from the list of suppliers....
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    I've just been on the SP website, their cheapest quote was about 18% higher than PP's current prices overall.

• Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post

Having thought about this a bit more, I think I will switch the gas but stick with PP for electricity for the moment - at least until the smart meters are installed. Then I've still got the option to jump ship if a better electricity deal comes along without paying an exit fee. SSE say they'll fit two SMETS2 meters.
    Last edited by talldave; 24-04-19 at 01:30.
  • Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post

Having thought about this a bit more, I think I will switch the gas but stick with PP for electricity for the moment - at least until the smart meters are installed. Then I've still got the option to jump ship if a better electricity deal comes along without paying an exit fee. SSE say they'll fit two SMETS2 meters.

• Any update on this Tym? (see lower reply)
  • Any update on this Tym? (see lower reply)