Poll: Which device do you use to run the App?

• POLL: Which device do you use to run the App?

Which device do you use to run the App?

It would be interesting to see the Apple/Android split as well as the mobile/tablet one?

I only use the app once a month anyway to enter the meter reading. I access the Community section using a Windows 10 desktop.
  • Which device do you use to run the App?

It would be interesting to see the Apple/Android split as well as the mobile/tablet one?

I only use the app once a month anyway to enter the meter reading. I access the Community section using a Windows 10 desktop.
  • good poll Lenny
    There is one small benefit to using the iphone for the community (although I only do so when I have to) and that is the predictive text which is uncannily good (I hate to admit it but it does substantially speed up typing input with the odd catastrophic* error) but it's hell to search and find and paste links etc.)
    *I'm still laughing at the meter being in Cretin mode........
    I still prefer my ancient steam powered PC for the community.
    Last edited by woz; 09-03-19 at 01:29.
  • good poll Lenny
    There is one small benefit to using the iphone for the community (although I only do so when I have to) and that is the predictive text which is uncannily good (I hate to admit it but it does substantially speed up typing input with the odd catastrophic* error) but it's hell to search and find and paste links etc.)
    *I'm still laughing at the meter being in Cretin mode........
    I still prefer my ancient steam powered PC for the community.
  • Like the poll Lenny

And slightly deviating...in our house we have 2 aging iPads and 1 ageing macpro and prefer to use phones as phones by not having to treat the phone as some prize possession. Sim only fee £6.00 pm with limited data never used.

The Apple experience has been more slick since ditching PC back in 2011.
    Still use MS office for Mac.
    Probably will get another Mac LT but theres some great PC LT's to consider.

Tablet alternatives anyone used iPad v another?
    Last edited by Strutt G; 09-03-19 at 09:13.
  • Like the poll Lenny

And slightly deviating...in our house we have 2 aging iPads and 1 ageing macpro and prefer to use phones as phones by not having to treat the phone as some prize possession. Sim only fee £6.00 pm with limited data never used.

The Apple experience has been more slick since ditching PC back in 2011.
    Still use MS office for Mac.
    Probably will get another Mac LT but theres some great PC LT's to consider.

Tablet alternatives anyone used iPad v another?
  • Nice to see the poll outcome. I use a Samsung Smartphone for about 85% of all internet access. Then my laptop for studying and photography stuff.
    I don't think I would like to be without my phone now.
    I access the PP Community on my phone.
  • Nice to see the poll outcome. I use a Samsung Smartphone for about 85% of all internet access. Then my laptop for studying and photography stuff.
    I don't think I would like to be without my phone now.
    I access the PP Community on my phone.
  • I Stuck my heals in the ground re Mac v PC for years..doing the same again with the phone. I go out with the old phone (internet off) and cannot be tempted..even though I know the benefits when out and about, including getting lost and asking for directions.
    Last edited by Strutt G; 09-03-19 at 11:43.
  • I Stuck my heals in the ground re Mac v PC for years..doing the same again with the phone. I go out with the old phone (internet off) and cannot be tempted..even though I know the benefits when out and about, including getting lost and asking for directions.
  • Have to agree re phone Strutt, got such an antiquated brick, but it’s soooooo reliable 👍and does me for texts and calls, then keep all the Internet email stuff for home on iPad, which I’m totally addicted to now, couldn’t be without it, and the laptop firmly hidden away in a cupboard, just seems sooooo ancient now after iPad.

I am, though, seriously considering latest iphone sometime soon, can’t keep this brick all taped up (seriously 😂😂😂😂) for much longer, but envisage, despite all the new phone will do, I’ll still prob only use for texts and calls 👍. I’ll know tho, it does have everything I need, should I need it.
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Have to agree re phone Strutt, got such an antiquated brick, but it’s soooooo reliable 👍and does me for texts and calls, then keep all the Internet email stuff for home on iPad, which I’m totally addicted to now, couldn’t be without it, and the laptop firmly hidden away in a cupboard, just seems sooooo ancient now after iPad.

I am, though, seriously considering latest iphone sometime soon, can’t keep this brick all taped up (seriously 😂😂😂😂) for much longer, but envisage, despite all the new phone will do, I’ll still prob only use for texts and calls 👍. I’ll know tho, it does have everything I need, should I need it.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Yes Bev I also often consider getting a rinky dinky all singing and dancing phone, but I don't like the thought of having to look after it...and have my whole life on one device.
    Cheap phone works well enough.
    Prefer larger screens and the LP for spreadsheets which I can't live without!
    Stick with the Brick.
    Last edited by Strutt G; 09-03-19 at 22:51.
  • Yes Bev I also often consider getting a rinky dinky all singing and dancing phone, but I don't like the thought of having to look after it...and have my whole life on one device.
    Cheap phone works well enough.
    Prefer larger screens and the LP for spreadsheets which I can't live without!
    Stick with the Brick.
  • It’s such a dilemma, it really is Strutt. I’m soooo with you re wary of having such a valuable thing walking around, and having whole life on it, but it’s reaching the point of embarrassment now with this taped up brick, I’ve gotta get “down with the kids” again 😂😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
  • It’s such a dilemma, it really is Strutt. I’m soooo with you re wary of having such a valuable thing walking around, and having whole life on it, but it’s reaching the point of embarrassment now with this taped up brick, I’ve gotta get “down with the kids” again 😂😂😂😂😂

WALT WHITMAN
  • I use an iPhone 5s and an iPad mini, both getting on in years, to run the app. When on the forum I use my equally antiquated desktop, which I call Frankenstein as it's made up of bits of other computers.
  • I use an iPhone 5s and an iPad mini, both getting on in years, to run the app. When on the forum I use my equally antiquated desktop, which I call Frankenstein as it's made up of bits of other computers.
  • Your poll only allowed one choice of device.....I marked Android Tablet however I have downloaded the App on my android phone also, and I use the App on both. Both devices work well.
    Gray4276
  • Your poll only allowed one choice of device.....I marked Android Tablet however I have downloaded the App on my android phone also, and I use the App on both. Both devices work well.
    Gray4276
  • good point...but it would have to have 3 extra lines to work, or more if you used more than 2 devices
    ios/ios
    ios/android
    android/android
    and that doesn't even take into account whether it's a tablet or a phone...
    I think both the poll and Lenny would self destruct...

Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Your poll only allowed one choice of device.....I marked Android Tablet however I have downloaded the App on my android phone also, and I use the App on both. Both devices work well.
    Gray4276
  • good point...but it would have to have 3 extra lines to work, or more if you used more than 2 devices
    ios/ios
    ios/android
    android/android
    and that doesn't even take into account whether it's a tablet or a phone...
    I think both the poll and Lenny would self destruct...

Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Your poll only allowed one choice of device.....I marked Android Tablet however I have downloaded the App on my android phone also, and I use the App on both. Both devices work well.
    Gray4276
  • Don't get me started on Android v Apple.......get enough banter with some of my family LOL
    All I can say is it works really well on both my Android devices. After all it was only a "fun" poll anyway.
    Gray4276
  • Don't get me started on Android v Apple.......get enough banter with some of my family LOL
    All I can say is it works really well on both my Android devices. After all it was only a "fun" poll anyway.
    Gray4276
  • Android phone for the app and access communities in both it and the PC (If it's on)!
  • Android phone for the app and access communities in both it and the PC (If it's on)!
  • I have the app on my phone and use it to send my readings but to be honest I prefer to use the desktop for everything else. I only ever buy second hand or refurbished phones too as I refuse to buy brand new. (Boy did the guy on the end of the phone regret asking me why after a 10 minute lecture about the evils of the Coltan industry, mwahahahaha!!)
  • I have the app on my phone and use it to send my readings but to be honest I prefer to use the desktop for everything else. I only ever buy second hand or refurbished phones too as I refuse to buy brand new. (Boy did the guy on the end of the phone regret asking me why after a 10 minute lecture about the evils of the Coltan industry, mwahahahaha!!)
  • Quote Originally Posted by NannyOgg View Post
    I only ever buy second hand or refurbished phones too as I refuse to buy brand new.
    I like the sound of that
    The obsession with 'must having' the latest model is weird. What do people think will happen to them if their phone is a couple of years old?!
    Do you buy second hand iPhones or Android phones?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by NannyOgg View Post
    I only ever buy second hand or refurbished phones too as I refuse to buy brand new.
    I like the sound of that
    The obsession with 'must having' the latest model is weird. What do people think will happen to them if their phone is a couple of years old?!
    Do you buy second hand iPhones or Android phones?

• I'm the same with tablets and iPads too, just refuse to buy them new. I have a leaning towards iPhones but have had android in the past. A lot of my phones have been hubby's hand me downs but my recent iphone he bought me from https://www.theioutlet.com based in Plymouth, (ooo, another one for the ethical links). I would love a Fairphone (https://www.fairphone.com/en/) but they are quite expensive and I don't see the point until my current phone dies a death. If memory serves me correctly, Co-Op do phone contracts with the Fairphones. I'll add all those onto the other link.
  • I'm the same with tablets and iPads too, just refuse to buy them new. I have a leaning towards iPhones but have had android in the past. A lot of my phones have been hubby's hand me downs but my recent iphone he bought me from https://www.theioutlet.com based in Plymouth, (ooo, another one for the ethical links). I would love a Fairphone (https://www.fairphone.com/en/) but they are quite expensive and I don't see the point until my current phone dies a death. If memory serves me correctly, Co-Op do phone contracts with the Fairphones. I'll add all those onto the other link.
  • My sister-in-law recently bought a Fairphone outright so she could get her own SIM deal. Camera performance is pretty disappointing - it has trouble focussing so using it for a QR code scan job proved very troublesome.
  • My sister-in-law recently bought a Fairphone outright so she could get her own SIM deal. Camera performance is pretty disappointing - it has trouble focussing so using it for a QR code scan job proved very troublesome.
  • That's a real shame. Good to know these things though @Lenny
  • That's a real shame. Good to know these things though @Lenny
  • Nice one @Lenny for starting this poll and discussion. Interesting stuff.
    I'd love to see some app screens, if we're brave enough!
    So....... here goes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homescreen.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	1863

• Nice one @Lenny for starting this poll and discussion. Interesting stuff.
    I'd love to see some app screens, if we're brave enough!
    So....... here goes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homescreen.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	1863

• Cool idea, Marc. I think! Here’s mine........

Name:  A9CBB7B0-7F88-48A9-BA1C-25D8F5C134ED.png
Views: 57
Size:  3.25 MB Name:  A66D795F-D4F7-433E-8315-0A5A68AD9C66.png
Size:  3.44 MB Name:  F351E5EE-3842-4E12-A165-ED3C83790F36.png
Views: 56
Size:  3.41 MB

WALT WHITMAN
  • Cool idea, Marc. I think! Here’s mine........

Name:  A9CBB7B0-7F88-48A9-BA1C-25D8F5C134ED.png
Size:  3.25 MB Name:  A66D795F-D4F7-433E-8315-0A5A68AD9C66.png
Size:  3.44 MB Name:  F351E5EE-3842-4E12-A165-ED3C83790F36.png
Views: 56
Size:  3.41 MB

WALT WHITMAN