• Desert Island Discs - what would you choose?

So, you find yourself stranded on a desert island...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	discs.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	1951

You've got the chance to bring 8 songs, 1 book and 1 luxury item with you.

The choice is yours... what would you bring??(and why!)

It's just you, the island, and these choices for the rest of time... No pressure
    • The first snow of winter arrives! β›„ Have you had snow yet?
    • Wondering how to keep Christmas eco-friendly? We're sharing our top tipsπŸ’šπŸŽ…β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹
    • Enter your photos in November's photo challenge - Illuminations βœ¨β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹
    • How much do you know about renewable energy?πŸ€”β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹ Find out in our quiz!
  • So, you find yourself stranded on a desert island...

Name:	discs.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	1951

You've got the chance to bring 8 songs, 1 book and 1 luxury item with you.

The choice is yours... what would you bring??(and why!)

It's just you, the island, and these choices for the rest of time... No pressure
    • Wondering how to keep Christmas eco-friendly? We're sharing our top tipsπŸ’šπŸŽ…β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹
    • Enter your photos in November's photo challenge - Illuminations βœ¨β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹
    • How much do you know about renewable energy?πŸ€”β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹ Find out in our quiz!
  • phwoooooooooarh, what an idyllic scenario Wowsa! Fab question Nat! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ I don’t think I’d need ANYTHING other than that gorgeous beach 🏝and my own company tbh πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ‘πŸ‘, truly heaven that’d be BUT maybe the sound of the gentle wavesπŸ– and the view of the gorgeous beach, would need a little bit of company just sometimes, so my answers are .......

luxury item........Lucozade (Brazilian of course)

book ........... original Railway Children, E. Nesbit πŸš‚cos it’s pure escapism (not that you’d need it here!) no matter how many times you read it.

8 Songs............American Trilogy - Elvis Presley
    .......................Music - John Miles
    .......................Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel
    .......................Tell Me Why I don’t like Monday’s - Boomtown Rats
    .......................Set Fire To The Rain - Adele
    .......................Heartbeat - Wham!
    .......................Born To Run - Springsteen
    .......................Sweet Remembrance - William Joseph

​god that’s tough to pick 8 πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€, but awesome thread πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • phwoooooooooarh, what an idyllic scenario Wowsa! Fab question Nat! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ I don’t think I’d need ANYTHING other than that gorgeous beach 🏝and my own company tbh πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ‘πŸ‘, truly heaven that’d be BUT maybe the sound of the gentle wavesπŸ– and the view of the gorgeous beach, would need a little bit of company just sometimes, so my answers are .......

book ........... original Railway Children, E. Nesbit πŸš‚cos it’s pure escapism (not that you’d need it here!) no matter how many times you read it.

8 Songs............American Trilogy - Elvis Presley
    .......................Music - John Miles
    .......................Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel
    .......................Tell Me Why I don’t like Monday’s - Boomtown Rats
    .......................Set Fire To The Rain - Adele
    .......................Heartbeat - Wham!
    .......................Born To Run - Springsteen
    .......................Sweet Remembrance - William Joseph

​god that’s tough to pick 8 πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€πŸ™€, but awesome thread πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Yep Bev your right Fab idea by Nat - gonna ponder
  • Yep Bev your right Fab idea by Nat - gonna ponder
  • I don't want to hijack the thread but may I make a suggestion?
    Why not a short section after each disc (if you wish) to explain why it was chosen?
    It could make for some interesting reading and help us get to know each other...
    ​or not...
    ​ooops..just noticed nataly, it does say "and why"...
  • I don't want to hijack the thread but may I make a suggestion?
    Why not a short section after each disc (if you wish) to explain why it was chosen?
    It could make for some interesting reading and help us get to know each other...
    ​or not...
    ​ooops..just noticed nataly, it does say "and why"...
  • Whoops, you’re right Wozeeta πŸ‘πŸ€­

So the book, I explained.

Lucozade, absolute Godsend with being Type 1 so wouldn’t be without it. Brazilian cos it’s obviously got the tropical flavour to go with the amazing location I’d be in 🏝😎

1. American Trilogy - Elvis Presley

Grew up listening to Elvis as a child as my parents adored him and his music. As the years have gone, his music has never really dated, and this particular track just has that goose bumps effect no matter how many times it’s played, and is just even more heart wrenching now he’s gone. I can’t imagine another artist ever living up to the king.

2. Music - John Miles

I got to know this piece of music when learning the electronic organ between the ages of ten and twenty. It was so long and so difficult, but I just absolutely loved it. The fact it went from a slow, moving piece, to such a fast section, then back, it just made it such a fantastic piece to learn for me. Still love it today. Another goose bumps track.

3. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel

I’ve chosen this version as original, but performed equally (dare I say, better?) by Presley, but another piece that moves me to tears. Again, grew up with it as a child, and I think endless plays of a track in the back seat of a Wolseley, stay with you for life. It’s not only the track, it’s the place and era it takes you to, the memories live on forever.

4. Tell Me Why I Don’t Like Monday’s - Boomtown Rats

Just makes the heart race. Has that impact to get you just there, and grew to love this track soooo much more following Bobs awesome, moving performance at Live Aid. That long pause.........beyond goose bumps.

5. Set fire to the rain - Adele

Between this and another Wolseley moment of Sweet Caroline Neil Diamond, so decided on this to bring some recent stuff with me to the desert island 🏝😎. Not that big an Adele fan, but this track is beyond stunning. Just has me singing loudly. Beautiful track.

6. Heartbeat - Wham!

Easy one. 5th form of secondary school. All massive massive Wham fans. The day the album came out, we all knew the lyrics by about day two, to every track! This was not a single, but it soon became my favourite track, and the words as we came out of school, seemed to fit so well. Vividly remeber us all singing as we skipped out of school on the last day before summer holiday six week break! About ten of us girls. Got goose bumps just typing this! As clear in my mind today over thirty years on. Magical. Of course even moreso now that the beautiful GM is no longer here.

7. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen

Think my first memory of this song was seeing him sing it live, possibly Live Aid again, from Phillidelphia, not certain, watching him on TV and just being in awe. The song never dates, and still has me covered in goose bumps. I’m noticing a pattern re terrific sones and goose bumps πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ‘ as I’m typing these reasons. Guess that’s the key for me.

8. Sweet Remembrance - William Joseph

Big lover of the piano 🎹, and received this track, or part of it, within an email by chance. Had never heard of William. Couldn’t believe the impact it had. Again, goose bumps and always tears. Beautiful crescendo, and the piece of music has now become, without sounding morbid cos it’s not, but the music for my funeral, where it’s played to allow memories and reflection halfway through. Stunning piece.

There are many more I could list, but for picking a strict eight, I think these would be my choices. I’ll say again Nataly, fantastic thread! Therapeutic, in fact πŸ™€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Whoops, you’re right Wozeeta πŸ‘πŸ€­

So the book, I explained.

Lucozade, absolute Godsend with being Type 1 so wouldn’t be without it. Brazilian cos it’s obviously got the tropical flavour to go with the amazing location I’d be in 🏝😎

1. American Trilogy - Elvis Presley

Grew up listening to Elvis as a child as my parents adored him and his music. As the years have gone, his music has never really dated, and this particular track just has that goose bumps effect no matter how many times it’s played, and is just even more heart wrenching now he’s gone. I can’t imagine another artist ever living up to the king.

2. Music - John Miles

I got to know this piece of music when learning the electronic organ between the ages of ten and twenty. It was so long and so difficult, but I just absolutely loved it. The fact it went from a slow, moving piece, to such a fast section, then back, it just made it such a fantastic piece to learn for me. Still love it today. Another goose bumps track.

3. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel

I’ve chosen this version as original, but performed equally (dare I say, better?) by Presley, but another piece that moves me to tears. Again, grew up with it as a child, and I think endless plays of a track in the back seat of a Wolseley, stay with you for life. It’s not only the track, it’s the place and era it takes you to, the memories live on forever.

4. Tell Me Why I Don’t Like Monday’s - Boomtown Rats

Just makes the heart race. Has that impact to get you just there, and grew to love this track soooo much more following Bobs awesome, moving performance at Live Aid. That long pause.........beyond goose bumps.

5. Set fire to the rain - Adele

Between this and another Wolseley moment of Sweet Caroline Neil Diamond, so decided on this to bring some recent stuff with me to the desert island 🏝😎. Not that big an Adele fan, but this track is beyond stunning. Just has me singing loudly. Beautiful track.

6. Heartbeat - Wham!

Easy one. 5th form of secondary school. All massive massive Wham fans. The day the album came out, we all knew the lyrics by about day two, to every track! This was not a single, but it soon became my favourite track, and the words as we came out of school, seemed to fit so well. Vividly remeber us all singing as we skipped out of school on the last day before summer holiday six week break! About ten of us girls. Got goose bumps just typing this! As clear in my mind today over thirty years on. Magical. Of course even moreso now that the beautiful GM is no longer here.

7. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen

Think my first memory of this song was seeing him sing it live, possibly Live Aid again, from Phillidelphia, not certain, watching him on TV and just being in awe. The song never dates, and still has me covered in goose bumps. I’m noticing a pattern re terrific sones and goose bumps πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ‘ as I’m typing these reasons. Guess that’s the key for me.

8. Sweet Remembrance - William Joseph

Big lover of the piano 🎹, and received this track, or part of it, within an email by chance. Had never heard of William. Couldn’t believe the impact it had. Again, goose bumps and always tears. Beautiful crescendo, and the piece of music has now become, without sounding morbid cos it’s not, but the music for my funeral, where it’s played to allow memories and reflection halfway through. Stunning piece.

There are many more I could list, but for picking a strict eight, I think these would be my choices. I’ll say again Nataly, fantastic thread! Therapeutic, in fact πŸ™€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    What's Brazilian Lucozade @Bev
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    What's Brazilian Lucozade @Bev

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • The best, Marc! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Name:  21DB5FCF-130D-4181-9C02-19C5936CEEB8.jpeg
Views: 94
Size:  1.02 MB

WALT WHITMAN
  • The best, Marc! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Name:  21DB5FCF-130D-4181-9C02-19C5936CEEB8.jpeg
Views: 94
Size:  1.02 MB

WALT WHITMAN
  • I thought you meant Lucozade that you fly in all the way from Brazil @Bev !

Great response - defo seeing a pattern of songs that bring back nice memories and that give you goosebumps..

Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post

2. Music - John Miles

Woah electronic organ!! That's really cool.. I'm guessing if it's electronic it doesn't have the millions of pedals that a normal organ has?
    Do you prefer that or piano (or any other instruments you can play?). I'm currently trying to nail the piano solo in Sweet Home Alabama SO hard!

Great choice of songs with a range of styles and emotions, hopefully would mean you'd never get bored of them

Great idea @woz - really good to see why each song/book's been chosen and what they mean to you!

Also to inspire everyone else to have a read of or listen to your fav pieces
  • I thought you meant Lucozade that you fly in all the way from Brazil @Bev !

Great response - defo seeing a pattern of songs that bring back nice memories and that give you goosebumps..

Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post

2. Music - John Miles

Woah electronic organ!! That's really cool.. I'm guessing if it's electronic it doesn't have the millions of pedals that a normal organ has?
    Do you prefer that or piano (or any other instruments you can play?). I'm currently trying to nail the piano solo in Sweet Home Alabama SO hard!

Great choice of songs with a range of styles and emotions, hopefully would mean you'd never get bored of them

Great idea @woz - really good to see why each song/book's been chosen and what they mean to you!

Also to inspire everyone else to have a read of or listen to your fav pieces
  • Hee hee re Brazil, Nat πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Oh INDEED re the beast with all the pedals. The electronic Tecnics had eight. My left leg had a right good workout πŸ˜‚ swinging side to side! Entered lots of festivals and took the exams. Loved playing it, but tbh if I hear the organ nowadays, I really don’t like it one bit! πŸ™‰Honestly sounds sooooooo dated to me, Nat, very old farts, whereas the gorgeous piano 🎹will never ever ever sound that way.

I soooo adore so many pieces played on the Joanna, one of my favourites of course being the William Joseph on my desert island list, but another true fave has to be Pachebels Canon in D wedding song πŸ’•. Just divine.

I played the violin 🎻from aged five to ten, but then parents said choose between fiddle or organ. I sooooo adored keyboards, it was the β€œin” thing then too, so opted for that. Again tho, the 🎻never ages.

I play nothing now, but think once you have that music bg, (I also danced from 3 to 17), it’s in you for life then. I believe that with a lot of things πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Hee hee re Brazil, Nat πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Oh INDEED re the beast with all the pedals. The electronic Tecnics had eight. My left leg had a right good workout πŸ˜‚ swinging side to side! Entered lots of festivals and took the exams. Loved playing it, but tbh if I hear the organ nowadays, I really don’t like it one bit! πŸ™‰Honestly sounds sooooooo dated to me, Nat, very old farts, whereas the gorgeous piano 🎹will never ever ever sound that way.

I soooo adore so many pieces played on the Joanna, one of my favourites of course being the William Joseph on my desert island list, but another true fave has to be Pachebels Canon in D wedding song πŸ’•. Just divine.

I played the violin 🎻from aged five to ten, but then parents said choose between fiddle or organ. I sooooo adored keyboards, it was the β€œin” thing then too, so opted for that. Again tho, the 🎻never ages.

I play nothing now, but think once you have that music bg, (I also danced from 3 to 17), it’s in you for life then. I believe that with a lot of things πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Oh so hard so I stopped pondering and just posted what came out first.
    Gone for 2 extra tracks, omitting the book and luxury item, soap would of been nice.

My Love is Free - Double Exposure
    - Brilliant soulful dance with subtle bass line that kicks up through the track

Expand your mind - Lonnie Liston Smith
    - Sublime fusion jazz

Fazo Riding High
    - When I heard this I was blown away back in the day

Leroy Hutson - Paradise
    - Hope the dessert island matches this track

Solar Flight - Mandre
    - Check out this cover from 1977 - artist with a space mask ahead of its time

War from the Platinum Jazz Album - La Sunshine
    - Always comes out when the sun arrives and the repetitiveness of the words and rhythm make me laugh

Willie Colon - Set Fire to me
    - Why oh why are the last few vocals so short.....

Eumir Deodato - Whistle bump
    - Classic Jazz Funk

Key-Matic - Break-in in Space
    - Electro
    Guess theres gonna be a lot of star looking on the island

Underground Source - Luv Dancin
    - Extended Vocal mix
    House Music and another ERA of dance
    Last edited by Strutt G; 10-04-19 at 17:21.
  • Oh so hard so I stopped pondering and just posted what came out first.
    Gone for 2 extra tracks, omitting the book and luxury item, soap would of been nice.

- Sublime fusion jazz

Fazo Riding High

Leroy Hutson - Paradise

Solar Flight - Mandre

- Always comes out when the sun arrives and the repetitiveness of the words and rhythm make me laugh

- Classic Jazz Funk

- Electro

- Extended Vocal mix
  • Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Oh so hard so I stopped pondering and just posted what came out first.

- Sublime fusion jazz

Fazo Riding High

Leroy Hutson - Paradise

Solar Flight - Mandre

- Classic Jazz Funk

- Electro

- Extended Vocal mix
    Wow that's quite a playlist @Strutt G
    I don't know a single one of these, feeling a bit like I've led a sheltered life now
    Looks like you really know and love your music!

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Oh so hard so I stopped pondering and just posted what came out first.

- Sublime fusion jazz

Fazo Riding High

Leroy Hutson - Paradise

Solar Flight - Mandre

- Classic Jazz Funk

- Electro

- Extended Vocal mix
    I don't know a single one of these, feeling a bit like I've led a sheltered life now

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Apple Music finds your musical tastes a little bit niche @Strutt G
    It's struggling to find all those tracks

Name:	File.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	1983

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Apple Music finds your musical tastes a little bit niche @Strutt G
    It's struggling to find all those tracks

Name:	File.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	1983

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Ha ha you tube and nothing remastered
  • Ha ha you tube and nothing remastered
  • I just don't believe there's a real Artist called Willie Colon....
    Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Ha ha you tube and nothing remastered
  • I just don't believe there's a real Artist called Willie Colon....
    Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Ha ha you tube and nothing remastered
  • Me too, or perhaps born in the wrong decade...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
  • Me too, or perhaps born in the wrong decade...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
  • Me too πŸ˜‚

WALT WHITMAN
  • Me too πŸ˜‚

WALT WHITMAN
  • I've been thinking about this one for a few days and am really struggling to whittle my choice of music down to just eight songs as I find that what I listen to depends very much on my mood. If you have the time and inclination try clicking on the links and listen to what rocks my boat.

I've been listening to Elton John since the '70s. So, without further ado here are two tracks for your delectation.

Madman Across the Water, and Have Mercy on the Criminal, both from his Live in Australia album. With full orchestral backing I think they are the best arrangements of two of Elton John and Bernie Taupin's collaborations.

Joaquin Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez for Guitar and Orchestra is a ten minute stress buster, not one of your 4 minute sound-bites. Try and stay awake at the back!

Sticking with a classical theme try MΓ­cheΓ‘l Γ“ SΓΊilleabhΓ‘in and his composition Woodbrook.

Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan playing Blues at Sunrise followed by Call it Stormy Monday. These two tracks add up to Forty Five minutes of some of the best blues guitar riffs you will ever here!

Or how about Santana and Black Magic Woman recorded live in Montrieux? Another long one at eleven minutes, but hey, I'm stuck on a desert island.

Ozzy Osbourne Diary of a Madman.

Sacrilege to Simon and Garfunkel fans, but listen to this version of The Sound of Silence by Disturbed

And in these troubled times I give you John Lennon and Imagine

As for the one and only book permitted it has to be A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I've read this several times and never tire of it. It's one of these books you have to read more than once before you can truly grasp the complexity and scope of it.

And my luxury item is YEAST. With yeast I can make bread (if I can find grains) and alcohol .

Last edited by Oakbank; 20-04-19 at 20:43.
  • I've been thinking about this one for a few days and am really struggling to whittle my choice of music down to just eight songs as I find that what I listen to depends very much on my mood. If you have the time and inclination try clicking on the links and listen to what rocks my boat.

I've been listening to Elton John since the '70s. So, without further ado here are two tracks for your delectation.

Madman Across the Water, and Have Mercy on the Criminal, both from his Live in Australia album. With full orchestral backing I think they are the best arrangements of two of Elton John and Bernie Taupin's collaborations.

Joaquin Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez for Guitar and Orchestra is a ten minute stress buster, not one of your 4 minute sound-bites. Try and stay awake at the back!

Sticking with a classical theme try MΓ­cheΓ‘l Γ“ SΓΊilleabhΓ‘in and his composition Woodbrook.

Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan playing Blues at Sunrise followed by Call it Stormy Monday. These two tracks add up to Forty Five minutes of some of the best blues guitar riffs you will ever here!

Or how about Santana and Black Magic Woman recorded live in Montrieux? Another long one at eleven minutes, but hey, I'm stuck on a desert island.

Ozzy Osbourne Diary of a Madman.

Sacrilege to Simon and Garfunkel fans, but listen to this version of The Sound of Silence by Disturbed

And in these troubled times I give you John Lennon and Imagine

As for the one and only book permitted it has to be A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I've read this several times and never tire of it. It's one of these books you have to read more than once before you can truly grasp the complexity and scope of it.

And my luxury item is YEAST. With yeast I can make bread (if I can find grains) and alcohol .

• Wow Oakbank a grand mix and well worth the wait!!
  • Wow Oakbank a grand mix and well worth the wait!!
  • What a great response!

Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post

Very nice thinking having the longer tracks in there, much better for staying entertained. Call It Stormy Monday is just incredible too & great shout linking to the songs, have been giving them a listen in the office

No idea what my 8 tracks would be like you, the music I listen to changes completely depending on my mood (we're talking going from classic blues to drum and bass to pop!)

Yeast is a fab idea, hadn't thought of an item like that before. Carbs and alcohol, what a good mix
  • What a great response!

Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post

Very nice thinking having the longer tracks in there, much better for staying entertained. Call It Stormy Monday is just incredible too & great shout linking to the songs, have been giving them a listen in the office

No idea what my 8 tracks would be like you, the music I listen to changes completely depending on my mood (we're talking going from classic blues to drum and bass to pop!)

Yeast is a fab idea, hadn't thought of an item like that before. Carbs and alcohol, what a good mix