• New switch - confusion about 'forecast spending' and D/D payments

I've just recently switched to Pure Planet (going to be switched on 9th August) so finding my way around its way of doing things is a bit confusing. I wanted to report that there is a mistake in their 'Welcome Pack' (sent email attachment) to me.

Under 'YOUR FORECAST' (page 1) it says that my 'forecast 12 month energy spend' is £499.90

But below, on the same page, it lists my payment (D/D in advance) schedule as £31.33 a month from April to September, and £46.99 a month from October to March. This adds up to £469.92 for the 12 months. So why this disparity? I'm afraid that I may already be being set up to be charged a higher amount than the average £39.16 per month that the payment schedule listed comes to.

I based my switch on my actual usage (kWh) over a 12 month period (I used my usage figures from beginning December 2017 to end of November 2018 because I had these to hand, though I have up to date figures and figures stretching back over several years which are much the same.)

I based my switch to Pure Planet on payments of £39.00 a month, which is what their quote said. I can accept the 16p a month extra - I'm guessing this is just a case of 'rounding down'. What I wouldn't have accepted, what I won't accept, is average payments of £41.66 per month which the £499.90 annual figure would work out at. If the quote had come up with this/these figures I would have chosen an alternative, cheaper (and just as green) supplier.

Would love to know what to do about this (Pure Planet seems difficult to get in touch with directly), or what could have happened.

​Yan
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • I've just recently switched to Pure Planet (going to be switched on 9th August) so finding my way around its way of doing things is a bit confusing. I wanted to report that there is a mistake in their 'Welcome Pack' (sent email attachment) to me.

Under 'YOUR FORECAST' (page 1) it says that my 'forecast 12 month energy spend' is £499.90

But below, on the same page, it lists my payment (D/D in advance) schedule as £31.33 a month from April to September, and £46.99 a month from October to March. This adds up to £469.92 for the 12 months. So why this disparity? I'm afraid that I may already be being set up to be charged a higher amount than the average £39.16 per month that the payment schedule listed comes to.

I based my switch on my actual usage (kWh) over a 12 month period (I used my usage figures from beginning December 2017 to end of November 2018 because I had these to hand, though I have up to date figures and figures stretching back over several years which are much the same.)

I based my switch to Pure Planet on payments of £39.00 a month, which is what their quote said. I can accept the 16p a month extra - I'm guessing this is just a case of 'rounding down'. What I wouldn't have accepted, what I won't accept, is average payments of £41.66 per month which the £499.90 annual figure would work out at. If the quote had come up with this/these figures I would have chosen an alternative, cheaper (and just as green) supplier.

Would love to know what to do about this (Pure Planet seems difficult to get in touch with directly), or what could have happened.

​Yan
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hello yan.
    Welcome to PP community.
    First question is are you duel fuel as if you are you get a £30 discount which would explain the 469/499 variance. The 499 figure may also be the average figure that the regulators say has to be shown, apparently it makes it easier to compare differant companies but mainly messes with everyones head as its an irrelevant figure.

Your DD payments average out at £39.16 PER month as you say but with PP you pay a lower amount in the summer and higher in the winter. It is a bit weird and slightly differant but for most people it prevents a build up of debt/credit as you go through the year. The split is 60/40. Sadly most comparison sites dont show or explain this upfront so causes some anxiety and confusion.
    Hope this helps if not post back.
  • Hello yan.
    Welcome to PP community.
    First question is are you duel fuel as if you are you get a £30 discount which would explain the 469/499 variance. The 499 figure may also be the average figure that the regulators say has to be shown, apparently it makes it easier to compare differant companies but mainly messes with everyones head as its an irrelevant figure.

Your DD payments average out at £39.16 PER month as you say but with PP you pay a lower amount in the summer and higher in the winter. It is a bit weird and slightly differant but for most people it prevents a build up of debt/credit as you go through the year. The split is 60/40. Sadly most comparison sites dont show or explain this upfront so causes some anxiety and confusion.
    Hope this helps if not post back.

• Great, thanks Jon1!

Yes, if that's it, the £30 dual fuel discount would explain it. I'm happy with/understood the 60/40 split (£31.33 Apr-Sep, £46.99 Oct-Mar) so long as it comes to just over £39 p/month on average, which it does.

Cheers,
    Yan
  • Great, thanks Jon1!

Yes, if that's it, the £30 dual fuel discount would explain it. I'm happy with/understood the 60/40 split (£31.33 Apr-Sep, £46.99 Oct-Mar) so long as it comes to just over £39 p/month on average, which it does.

Cheers,
    Yan

• Just to add a handy tip, if you multiply the colder month payment by 10 it should equal your projected annual, £46.99x10=£469.90

Also just to add some ying to your thinking, PP don't add extra charges, you are only ever charged for the energy you use (plus mem. fee less dual fuel discount if applicable) so your direct debit amount is (within reason) irrelevant.
    You can't know the exact amount of energy you're going to use in a year and neither can PP, they can only guess.

If you build up excessive credit or debit it's easy to adjust, but don't forget if you get the statement just after the dd is paid it will always look as though you're more in credit than you are because it's paid at the start of the billing period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yan View Post
    Great, thanks Jon1!

Cheers,
    Yan
  • Just to add a handy tip, if you multiply the colder month payment by 10 it should equal your projected annual, £46.99x10=£469.90

Also just to add some ying to your thinking, PP don't add extra charges, you are only ever charged for the energy you use (plus mem. fee less dual fuel discount if applicable) so your direct debit amount is (within reason) irrelevant.
    You can't know the exact amount of energy you're going to use in a year and neither can PP, they can only guess.

If you build up excessive credit or debit it's easy to adjust, but don't forget if you get the statement just after the dd is paid it will always look as though you're more in credit than you are because it's paid at the start of the billing period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yan View Post
    Great, thanks Jon1!

Cheers,
    Yan