• Yep I think the split payments are a good idea. I'd rather have my own money interest earning than in somebody else's bank - but that's my choice and PP fits the bill perfectly. I came from Ebico where I I paid on recipt of a bil quarterly. I perferred that as a way of keeping my money with me, but the PP way is the next best thing. And it does help prevent any "holy sh** how did I spend that much this winter" reaction
  • Yep I think the split payments are a good idea. I'd rather have my own money interest earning than in somebody else's bank - but that's my choice and PP fits the bill perfectly. I came from Ebico where I I paid on recipt of a bil quarterly. I perferred that as a way of keeping my money with me, but the PP way is the next best thing. And it does help prevent any "holy sh** how did I spend that much this winter" reaction
  • Stephen can I ask who you bank with 5% is very healthy return.

Giflos
    Can I ask why you chose to switch to PP? It is was for cost you've improved your situation, if it was for the carbon neutral sustainability angle you've got that too. Surely saving the planet is worth a few rearrangements on your paying behaviours?
    Ultimately it is your choice, as it is for the rest of us. For the record my main pt was carbon first, cost big bonus. Sorry to see you go.
  • Stephen can I ask who you bank with 5% is very healthy return.

Giflos
    Can I ask why you chose to switch to PP? It is was for cost you've improved your situation, if it was for the carbon neutral sustainability angle you've got that too. Surely saving the planet is worth a few rearrangements on your paying behaviours?
    Ultimately it is your choice, as it is for the rest of us. For the record my main pt was carbon first, cost big bonus. Sorry to see you go.
  • Hi everybody,

Is it just me..........Or am I noticing a regular theme within the Community posts that the people who seem to be "unhappy/displeased" with how PP operates, all seem to be either "new" to PP or certainly "new" to the community !
    ​This is evident by the extremely low number of posts that these people have made previous to their "complaint" post.
    I personally made sure that I fully understood the service that PP were providing and how the payments and review process would be applied to my account. It seems only common sense to me to ensure that "you" understand what you're signing up to.
    It also seems to me that these people don't want to spend a few minutes of their time to aquaint themselves with the App and community systems.
    I personally think that the App and other systems (Wattbot etc) are not perfect......but the PP team do seem to be diligently working away to achieve the best that they can be.

So if you haven't already "studied" the workability and content of the App and associated systems.....do yourself a favour and spend a bit of time, to understand how it all works for you and your account.
    Gray4276
  • Hi everybody,

Is it just me..........Or am I noticing a regular theme within the Community posts that the people who seem to be "unhappy/displeased" with how PP operates, all seem to be either "new" to PP or certainly "new" to the community !
    ​This is evident by the extremely low number of posts that these people have made previous to their "complaint" post.
    I personally made sure that I fully understood the service that PP were providing and how the payments and review process would be applied to my account. It seems only common sense to me to ensure that "you" understand what you're signing up to.
    It also seems to me that these people don't want to spend a few minutes of their time to aquaint themselves with the App and community systems.
    I personally think that the App and other systems (Wattbot etc) are not perfect......but the PP team do seem to be diligently working away to achieve the best that they can be.

So if you haven't already "studied" the workability and content of the App and associated systems.....do yourself a favour and spend a bit of time, to understand how it all works for you and your account.
    Gray4276
  • Hi Gray4276

No it's the usual theme, discussed many times, but there are ideas in the in pipeline I believe that MAY mitigate some peoples unnecessary posts. Most of these posts are just failing to do any research before joining, followed by not utalising all the information available and FAQ's.
    As another member previously posted you've got your cba..
    That's often apparent by the repetitive member questions-posts that can be self answered by just opening the post before or scrolling through, as in reading the recent answers and advice!

Not all customers use the community until they need to!
    And perhaps just using the phone screen for some is a bit prohibitive.

In my view this forum will always attrack a small % of dissatisfaction, lots are resolved easily and were not a problem in the first place. This is a great place if you have a concern or get frustrated.
    Its just that we get to see it, quite fascinating really, a worthy asset and valuable idea by PP.

I guess as PP progresses more tweaks will arise and the community will reflect this rolling programme.

PP's offer is not all things to all people, you did, I did, many did a little research and have not looked back. I'm really impressed that we get to discuss all this, PP get to hear including those in the community that are not members!

But peeps will be peeps and no doubt none of us are perfect.
    Last edited by Strutt G; 08-04-19 at 20:42.
  • Hi Gray4276

No it's the usual theme, discussed many times, but there are ideas in the in pipeline I believe that MAY mitigate some peoples unnecessary posts. Most of these posts are just failing to do any research before joining, followed by not utalising all the information available and FAQ's.
    As another member previously posted you've got your cba..
    That's often apparent by the repetitive member questions-posts that can be self answered by just opening the post before or scrolling through, as in reading the recent answers and advice!

Not all customers use the community until they need to!
    And perhaps just using the phone screen for some is a bit prohibitive.

In my view this forum will always attrack a small % of dissatisfaction, lots are resolved easily and were not a problem in the first place. This is a great place if you have a concern or get frustrated.
    Its just that we get to see it, quite fascinating really, a worthy asset and valuable idea by PP.

I guess as PP progresses more tweaks will arise and the community will reflect this rolling programme.

PP's offer is not all things to all people, you did, I did, many did a little research and have not looked back. I'm really impressed that we get to discuss all this, PP get to hear including those in the community that are not members!

But peeps will be peeps and no doubt none of us are perfect.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Daspy View Post
    Stephen can I ask who you bank with 5% is very healthy return.
    Hi Daspy
    You can! Nationwide give 5% for one year, up to £2500. TSB currently give 5% up to £1500 - so if you're married you can have two individual accounts and a joint account. It's possible, still, just, to make sure that rainy day funds get a much better return than any savings account. I will also confess to switching current accounts quite often to take advantage of incentive payments. It's a way of making money when retired and there's occasionally some spare time!!
  • Quote Originally Posted by Daspy View Post
    Stephen can I ask who you bank with 5% is very healthy return.
    Hi Daspy
    You can! Nationwide give 5% for one year, up to £2500. TSB currently give 5% up to £1500 - so if you're married you can have two individual accounts and a joint account. It's possible, still, just, to make sure that rainy day funds get a much better return than any savings account. I will also confess to switching current accounts quite often to take advantage of incentive payments. It's a way of making money when retired and there's occasionally some spare time!!
  • Quote Originally Posted by stephenrand View Post
    Hi Daspy
    Much appreciated stephenrand. This is advice that others in this thread might take advantage of. Thanks
  • Quote Originally Posted by stephenrand View Post
    Hi Daspy
    Much appreciated stephenrand. This is advice that others in this thread might take advantage of. Thanks
  • Also Nationwide, First Direct, HSBC and M&S all offer 5% regular savers (you need to have 2 active DD's for the M&S at the time of opening)
    HERES a link to lots of info
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenrand View Post
    Hi Daspy
  • Also Nationwide, First Direct, HSBC and M&S all offer 5% regular savers (you need to have 2 active DD's for the M&S at the time of opening)
    HERES a link to lots of info
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenrand View Post
    Hi Daspy
  • You have to remember not everyone has the time or wherewithal to investigate to the level that some of the posters on here do or wish to do.
    Also many see a cheaper price and that's the bottom line for them, It's going to get worse not better as PP grow which is why the community is important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hi everybody,

• You have to remember not everyone has the time or wherewithal to investigate to the level that some of the posters on here do or wish to do.
    Also many see a cheaper price and that's the bottom line for them, It's going to get worse not better as PP grow which is why the community is important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hi everybody,

• With regards to split payments I do not have a problem with them but I would prefer 1 regular payment or better still pay for what I use as I go. Maybe that last option could become a reality once smart meters are established estimated payments would then become a thing of the past.
  • With regards to split payments I do not have a problem with them but I would prefer 1 regular payment or better still pay for what I use as I go. Maybe that last option could become a reality once smart meters are established estimated payments would then become a thing of the past.
  • hi Johnxholland
    ​I hope not, personally I've only got a limited supply of shillings for the meter, when they run out it goes dark...(beware the law of unintended consequences)
    preference noted though..
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnxholland View Post
    With regards to split payments I do not have a problem with them but I would prefer 1 regular payment or better still pay for what I use as I go. Maybe that last option could become a reality once smart meters are established estimated payments would then become a thing of the past.
    Last edited by woz; 15-04-19 at 21:24.
  • hi Johnxholland
    ​I hope not, personally I've only got a limited supply of shillings for the meter, when they run out it goes dark...(beware the law of unintended consequences)
    preference noted though..
    With regards to split payments I do not have a problem with them but I would prefer 1 regular payment or better still pay for what I use as I go. Maybe that last option could become a reality once smart meters are established estimated payments would then become a thing of the past.
  • What’s a shilling?
  • What’s a shilling?
  • haha
    ​Ask your granddad or an elderly relative if you have any.
    If I said it was worth 12 old pence and there were 20 shillings in a £ you'd only ask me what an old pence was. (and for those who really don't know a shilling is now equivalent to 5p in new money).

Name:  shilling.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  6.0 KB
    Don't spend it all at once....

What’s a shilling?
  • haha
    ​Ask your granddad or an elderly relative if you have any.
    If I said it was worth 12 old pence and there were 20 shillings in a £ you'd only ask me what an old pence was. (and for those who really don't know a shilling is now equivalent to 5p in new money).

Name:  shilling.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  6.0 KB
    Don't spend it all at once....

What’s a shilling?
  • When are smart meters coming?? I had one with my last energy company but you don’t read from it. Also please can you remove the demand for both meter readings together, my electric is very easy to read and I can do on my way out the door but gas involves an awful trek around the building and across the grass.
  • When are smart meters coming?? I had one with my last energy company but you don’t read from it. Also please can you remove the demand for both meter readings together, my electric is very easy to read and I can do on my way out the door but gas involves an awful trek around the building and across the grass.
  • hi Jamesbrighton
    ​I've already suggested that you shouldn't have to go through E to do G.
    I think it's on the roadmap.

Cue music...The Hollies...He ain't heavy...
    (You'll have to look up the first line if you don't know it)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbrighton View Post
    When are smart meters coming?? I had one with my last energy company but you don’t read from it. Also please can you remove the demand for both meter readings together, my electric is very easy to read and I can do on my way out the door but gas involves an awful trek around the building and across the grass.
  • hi Jamesbrighton
    ​I've already suggested that you shouldn't have to go through E to do G.
    I think it's on the roadmap.

Cue music...The Hollies...He ain't heavy...
    (You'll have to look up the first line if you don't know it)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbrighton View Post
    When are smart meters coming?? I had one with my last energy company but you don’t read from it. Also please can you remove the demand for both meter readings together, my electric is very easy to read and I can do on my way out the door but gas involves an awful trek around the building and across the grass.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbrighton View Post
    Hi @Jamesbrighton
    Have a read of this post which is our most recent update on smart meters
    Please keep sending us readings for gas too. It'll keep your account on track.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbrighton View Post
    Hi @Jamesbrighton
    Have a read of this post which is our most recent update on smart meters
    Please keep sending us readings for gas too. It'll keep your account on track.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• @Marc/@Nataly While PPs stance on the split payments and not wanting customers to build up credit is admirable, it is also costing you customers.

I have tried to recommend PP to a few friends/family/colleagues but as soon as they hear the DD amount changes over the year they instantly rule PP out, and these are not people with tight budgets. Some people just want a set DD each month, end of.

So why not offer 2 options when you join up? The split DD for those that want it and the 12 month average DD for those that don't.

Then you can get all the customers on board who like the rest of your ethos and/or price.
  • @Marc/@Nataly While PPs stance on the split payments and not wanting customers to build up credit is admirable, it is also costing you customers.

I have tried to recommend PP to a few friends/family/colleagues but as soon as they hear the DD amount changes over the year they instantly rule PP out, and these are not people with tight budgets. Some people just want a set DD each month, end of.

So why not offer 2 options when you join up? The split DD for those that want it and the 12 month average DD for those that don't.

Then you can get all the customers on board who like the rest of your ethos and/or price.
  • Thanks for the great feedback @Jenam93

As you mentioned, we wouldn't want members to go into credit/debit at different times of year, or to be holding on to peoples' extra credit (most often in the summer months).
    Plus because at PP we don't have any contracts or exit fees, depending on the time of year someone joins the credit/debit build up could be quite high.

Totally appreciate that some people will want the same payments across the year so it's really interesting feedback for us to take on-board - thank you
  • Thanks for the great feedback @Jenam93

As you mentioned, we wouldn't want members to go into credit/debit at different times of year, or to be holding on to peoples' extra credit (most often in the summer months).
    Plus because at PP we don't have any contracts or exit fees, depending on the time of year someone joins the credit/debit build up could be quite high.

Totally appreciate that some people will want the same payments across the year so it's really interesting feedback for us to take on-board - thank you
  • Let’s be serious none of the silly jokes please.

What I was suggesting is maintaining a balance of say £60 which is about a twelfth of my annual bill. And each month I pay for what I’ve used by direct debit. Simple.

I’m having a smart meter fitted 16 July so then there should be no need for estimated bills.
  • Let’s be serious none of the silly jokes please.

What I was suggesting is maintaining a balance of say £60 which is about a twelfth of my annual bill. And each month I pay for what I’ve used by direct debit. Simple.

I’m having a smart meter fitted 16 July so then there should be no need for estimated bills.
  • hi johnxholland
    you have described exactly the way it's supposed to work now, but for the fact you would prefer a variable direct debit. (But then there would be no need to keep a credit balance?) Sadly I believe you'd be in a minority, most people as far as I can tell prefer a fixed amount every month albeit that it is less over the warmer months.
    Perhaps in the fullness of time (many years), once smart metering is fully established, will come a PAYC (consume) option.
    Do you know which energy companies offer a variable monthly direct debit?
    later edit..There is no need for estimated bills now, if you submit readings when you get the reminder your statements will be as near as makes no difference.
    (Silly jokes? Some mistake shirley? I can't find any in this thread).

Let’s be serious none of the silly jokes please.

Last edited by woz; 24-06-19 at 12:25.
  • hi johnxholland
    you have described exactly the way it's supposed to work now, but for the fact you would prefer a variable direct debit. (But then there would be no need to keep a credit balance?) Sadly I believe you'd be in a minority, most people as far as I can tell prefer a fixed amount every month albeit that it is less over the warmer months.
    Perhaps in the fullness of time (many years), once smart metering is fully established, will come a PAYC (consume) option.
    Do you know which energy companies offer a variable monthly direct debit?
    later edit..There is no need for estimated bills now, if you submit readings when you get the reminder your statements will be as near as makes no difference.
    (Silly jokes? Some mistake shirley? I can't find any in this thread).

Let’s be serious none of the silly jokes please.

• Hi there
    First of all I’d like to say I don’t expect it to happen. But it is the way I would prefer to pay and if no one expresses this view it certainly won’t happen.

You say no need to keep a credit balance but it’s my understanding that because pure planet buys electric in advance it likes it customers to pay in advance which I think is fair enough.

As for any company offering a system like the one I suggest I do not know of any.

When I first started paying my electric bills back in the 70’s there was no budget scheme just a quarterly bill to pay by cheque or cash. Then budget schemes came but because they were only standing orders rather than direct debits the amounts had to be set the same for each month. Later when direct debits came along the 2 tier system was adopted by all of the electric companies I know of. I believe it is only a matter of time before monthly payment plans are offered, whether I’ll live to see it is another thing.
    The point about estimated bill is that if member do not supply readings the company would have to estimate the usage but not with a smart meter fitted.

I supply a meter reading when PP send a reminder but that hasn’t stopped me running up a balance of over £100 on a DD of £50. I’m not really worried about this I’m sure it will workout in the end.

As for jokes, comments about running out of shillings if not a joke was a stupid comment And in that vein don’t call me Shirley.
  • Hi there
    First of all I’d like to say I don’t expect it to happen. But it is the way I would prefer to pay and if no one expresses this view it certainly won’t happen.

You say no need to keep a credit balance but it’s my understanding that because pure planet buys electric in advance it likes it customers to pay in advance which I think is fair enough.

As for any company offering a system like the one I suggest I do not know of any.

When I first started paying my electric bills back in the 70’s there was no budget scheme just a quarterly bill to pay by cheque or cash. Then budget schemes came but because they were only standing orders rather than direct debits the amounts had to be set the same for each month. Later when direct debits came along the 2 tier system was adopted by all of the electric companies I know of. I believe it is only a matter of time before monthly payment plans are offered, whether I’ll live to see it is another thing.
    The point about estimated bill is that if member do not supply readings the company would have to estimate the usage but not with a smart meter fitted.

I supply a meter reading when PP send a reminder but that hasn’t stopped me running up a balance of over £100 on a DD of £50. I’m not really worried about this I’m sure it will workout in the end.

As for jokes, comments about running out of shillings if not a joke was a stupid comment And in that vein don’t call me Shirley.