• Pure Planet is not interested in keeping Members’ credit and the purpose of Direct Debit reviews

Hi everyone

We’re currently carrying out our Direct Debit reviews to make sure that our Members haven’t built up excessive debit or credit.

Our warmer / cooler payment schedule has been designed to prevent this happening, but there’s a few reasons why someone might be paying too much or too little, or have built up too much credit or debit:

• They may have over or under estimated their usage (commonly caused by selecting high, medium or low usage when getting a quote rather than entering actual usage).
    • Circumstances may have changed, for example getting an EV charger installed, or someone moving in or out of a property
    • Unseasonably cold or mild weather

Price comparison website MoneySuperMarket is reported to have carried out research showing that some energy companies are holding on to their customers’ credit.

It said more than eight million people were in credit for energy by an average £108 each after a mild winter, and claimed Co-Operative Energy kept the most credit, with its customers in credit by around £196 - a figure which has been disputed by the firm.

Our team at Pure Planet is currently in the middle of a Direct Debit review which we carry out on every Member’s account approximately once every six months.

We have no interest in our Members building up lots of credit. It's normal for there to be a little bit of debit or credit on your account. As we take payments in advance we would expect your account to always be about one month’s payment in credit.

Every member - apart from those who’ve joined us in the last three months - has already received (or will soon get) an email from us which explains that we’ve reviewed your DD payments.

The email explains that you’re either:

On track
    This means your DD payments already match your energy use. No action needs to be taken, and we’ll review your accounts again in about six months.

You've built up debit or credit
    If we haven't received a meter reading from you recently we'll ask you for one of these so we have an accurate record of your usage.

If you’re paying too much and built up too much credit then we’ll refund you and then adjust your payments down to stop you building up credit.

If you’re paying too little and built up a debit then we’ll arrange to take a one-off payment or put in place a debt repayment plan, and then adjust your payments up to stop you building up credit.

Don't forget you can view your Direct Debits payment info at any time in your Pure Planet app - go to Menu > Balance & payments.

​Please send us regular monthly meter readings so that your payments and energy use stay on track

We’ll always contact you before we make any changes. Check out our
    FAQs on payments and billing for more info.
    Last edited by Marc; 27-03-19 at 09:45. Reason: Adding reminder for more meter readings!
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Hi everyone

We’re currently carrying out our Direct Debit reviews to make sure that our Members haven’t built up excessive debit or credit.

Our warmer / cooler payment schedule has been designed to prevent this happening, but there’s a few reasons why someone might be paying too much or too little, or have built up too much credit or debit:

• They may have over or under estimated their usage (commonly caused by selecting high, medium or low usage when getting a quote rather than entering actual usage).
    • Circumstances may have changed, for example getting an EV charger installed, or someone moving in or out of a property
    • Unseasonably cold or mild weather

Price comparison website MoneySuperMarket is reported to have carried out research showing that some energy companies are holding on to their customers’ credit.

It said more than eight million people were in credit for energy by an average £108 each after a mild winter, and claimed Co-Operative Energy kept the most credit, with its customers in credit by around £196 - a figure which has been disputed by the firm.

Our team at Pure Planet is currently in the middle of a Direct Debit review which we carry out on every Member’s account approximately once every six months.

We have no interest in our Members building up lots of credit. It's normal for there to be a little bit of debit or credit on your account. As we take payments in advance we would expect your account to always be about one month’s payment in credit.

Every member - apart from those who’ve joined us in the last three months - has already received (or will soon get) an email from us which explains that we’ve reviewed your DD payments.

The email explains that you’re either:

On track
    This means your DD payments already match your energy use. No action needs to be taken, and we’ll review your accounts again in about six months.

You've built up debit or credit
    If we haven't received a meter reading from you recently we'll ask you for one of these so we have an accurate record of your usage.

If you’re paying too much and built up too much credit then we’ll refund you and then adjust your payments down to stop you building up credit.

If you’re paying too little and built up a debit then we’ll arrange to take a one-off payment or put in place a debt repayment plan, and then adjust your payments up to stop you building up credit.

Don't forget you can view your Direct Debits payment info at any time in your Pure Planet app - go to Menu > Balance & payments.

​Please send us regular monthly meter readings so that your payments and energy use stay on track

We’ll always contact you before we make any changes. Check out our
    FAQs on payments and billing for more info.

• Hi Marc,
    Having read your latest post regarding the DD 6 month review, and taking into account my recent thread "Direct Debit changed". I must admit to being really intrigued about my next DD payment , due on 1st April. I will post in my original thread which payment is taken.......will post again on about 2nd/3rd April.
    Gray4276
  • Hi Marc,
    Having read your latest post regarding the DD 6 month review, and taking into account my recent thread "Direct Debit changed". I must admit to being really intrigued about my next DD payment , due on 1st April. I will post in my original thread which payment is taken.......will post again on about 2nd/3rd April.
    Gray4276
  • I'm over £300 in credit from a £105 a month bill. Been waiting patiently for my DD review but not heard anything.
  • I'm over £300 in credit from a £105 a month bill. Been waiting patiently for my DD review but not heard anything.
  • Quote Originally Posted by adunn View Post
    I'm over £300 in credit from a £105 a month bill. Been waiting patiently for my DD review but not heard anything.
    Hi there
    Marc's post says "Every member - apart from those who’ve joined us in the last three months - has already received (or will soon get) an email from us which explains that we’ve reviewed your DD payments."
    I'd be tempted to give it to the end of next week, and if you have not heard anything, go to Help, click on Wattbot, put 'message the team' in the subject line and explain the situation and you will get a response within two working days.
    Hope you get it sorted
    Stephen
  • Quote Originally Posted by adunn View Post
    I'm over £300 in credit from a £105 a month bill. Been waiting patiently for my DD review but not heard anything.
    Hi there
    Marc's post says "Every member - apart from those who’ve joined us in the last three months - has already received (or will soon get) an email from us which explains that we’ve reviewed your DD payments."
    I'd be tempted to give it to the end of next week, and if you have not heard anything, go to Help, click on Wattbot, put 'message the team' in the subject line and explain the situation and you will get a response within two working days.
    Hope you get it sorted
    Stephen
  • Hi all, I have been on this site before but have not received a reply. pp have wrote to me saying they have been trying to contact me as i am in debt for 1,722.87. They want to discuss payments. I joined in august 2018. I have been paying the first 2 months was £54.00 then £81.00. I have just received a bill which i do not understand.they have my gas reading but not my electric, I do not know why they have not received the electric meter reading as i sent it with the gas reading via my phone app. I am regretting joining. pp have not even sent my old supplier my final reading. I do not know what to do for the best. Susan
  • Hi all, I have been on this site before but have not received a reply. pp have wrote to me saying they have been trying to contact me as i am in debt for 1,722.87. They want to discuss payments. I joined in august 2018. I have been paying the first 2 months was £54.00 then £81.00. I have just received a bill which i do not understand.they have my gas reading but not my electric, I do not know why they have not received the electric meter reading as i sent it with the gas reading via my phone app. I am regretting joining. pp have not even sent my old supplier my final reading. I do not know what to do for the best. Susan
  • Hi @susandixon17

I joined in august 2018. I have been paying the first 2 months was £54.00 then £81.00.
    We take a little less in the warmer months, and a little more in the cooler months, to match our Members' energy usage.
    As we don't have fixed term contracts or charge exit fees, averaging payments over 12 months could cause Members to build up very high credits or debits, depending on the time of year they join. Here's a bit more info from our FAQs section.
    The warmer months run from April to September, and the colder months from October to March. So your first two payments were August and September, in the warmer months, which is why they were lower.
    And of course we're about to go into the warmer months again!

I have just received a bill which i do not understand.they have my gas reading but not my electric
    Do you mean that there's an estimated reading for electricity? It may be that there's an actual reading followed by an estimate which is being used for part of your billing period?
    Hope this helps

• Hi @susandixon17

I joined in august 2018. I have been paying the first 2 months was £54.00 then £81.00.
    We take a little less in the warmer months, and a little more in the cooler months, to match our Members' energy usage.
    As we don't have fixed term contracts or charge exit fees, averaging payments over 12 months could cause Members to build up very high credits or debits, depending on the time of year they join. Here's a bit more info from our FAQs section.
    The warmer months run from April to September, and the colder months from October to March. So your first two payments were August and September, in the warmer months, which is why they were lower.
    And of course we're about to go into the warmer months again!

I have just received a bill which i do not understand.they have my gas reading but not my electric
    Do you mean that there's an estimated reading for electricity? It may be that there's an actual reading followed by an estimate which is being used for part of your billing period?
    Hope this helps

• Quote Originally Posted by susandixon17 View Post
    Hi all, I have been on this site before but have not received a reply.
    Hi Susan
    The fact is every post you have made on this site has received a reply, indeed several replies. So it would be worth checking that out.
    But it sounds that your current situation is confusing to say the least. Have you been to Wattbot and sent a message headed 'message the team'? They should get back to you within two working days.
    Stephen
  • Quote Originally Posted by susandixon17 View Post
    Hi all, I have been on this site before but have not received a reply.
    Hi Susan
    The fact is every post you have made on this site has received a reply, indeed several replies. So it would be worth checking that out.
    But it sounds that your current situation is confusing to say the least. Have you been to Wattbot and sent a message headed 'message the team'? They should get back to you within two working days.
    Stephen
  • I don't understand this system. Why can't i build up credit in the summer if I want to? I get paid the same amount every month all year round and like regular direct debit payments to match this. I want to build up credit in the summer to help pay for the winter - why won't you let me?
  • I don't understand this system. Why can't i build up credit in the summer if I want to? I get paid the same amount every month all year round and like regular direct debit payments to match this. I want to build up credit in the summer to help pay for the winter - why won't you let me?
  • Hi Giflos,

Welcome to the community.

If you have a look at your welcome email and attached welcome pack leading up to joining PP explained their DD Method.
    Seasonal DD's annual split from Oct - March = 60% reduced to 40% from April - Sept.

Heres a linked message thread.
    https://community.purepla.net/thread...-will-be-lower

Some of us find it quite neat and some don't but it does form part of the offer.

Sorry not the news you was expecting
  • Hi Giflos,

Welcome to the community.

If you have a look at your welcome email and attached welcome pack leading up to joining PP explained their DD Method.
    Seasonal DD's annual split from Oct - March = 60% reduced to 40% from April - Sept.

Heres a linked message thread.
    https://community.purepla.net/thread...-will-be-lower

Some of us find it quite neat and some don't but it does form part of the offer.

Sorry not the news you was expecting
  • I did see that when I signed up but this has now put me in a debit position. Other notes above show other people have built up credit. I just don't understand why there is no customer choice. I like the co. green ethos but will have to go to a different supplier as I can't afford the split payment system!
  • I did see that when I signed up but this has now put me in a debit position. Other notes above show other people have built up credit. I just don't understand why there is no customer choice. I like the co. green ethos but will have to go to a different supplier as I can't afford the split payment system!
  • Quote Originally Posted by giflos View Post
    I did see that when I signed up but this has now put me in a debit position. Other notes above show other people have built up credit. I just don't understand why there is no customer choice. I like the co. green ethos but will have to go to a different supplier as I can't afford the split payment system!
    Hi there

I'm just trying to understand how you can't afford the winter/summer split system. Over a year you'll pay the same as if you'd had 12 equal payments - and you are about to have the six lower payments, which surely makes it more affordable at this point? Or am I missing something?
    I did see that when I signed up but this has now put me in a debit position. Other notes above show other people have built up credit. I just don't understand why there is no customer choice. I like the co. green ethos but will have to go to a different supplier as I can't afford the split payment system!
    Hi there

I'm just trying to understand how you can't afford the winter/summer split system. Over a year you'll pay the same as if you'd had 12 equal payments - and you are about to have the six lower payments, which surely makes it more affordable at this point? Or am I missing something?
  • As Stephen says you are just moving into the 6 lower payments, but let me present it another way.
    The difference is smaller than it seems, in fact it's half what it seems at first, here is why
    If your annual cost was say £1200

with PP you'd pay
    £80 for 6 months
    £120 for 6 months

or if not split winter summer with a different company
    £100 a month in 12 equal instalments

The difference isn't £40 a month more when it's higher or £40 less when warmer , it's £20 because if the payments were split equally you'd pay £100.

If your cash flow is so tight you've hit lucky as you've joined at the most advantageous time: you'd simply put the £20 into a jar for 6 months and there are your winter payments sorted (assuming no price changes)!

May I also point out that your reply makes no sense, on the one hand you say you can't afford the split system but on the other hand you want to hand a supplier more of your money so you can build up credit.
    ​I suspect the real issue is you want to pay a predictable and constant amount because that's how you've always budgeted, but you can still do that.

Quote Originally Posted by giflos View Post
    Last edited by woz; 02-04-19 at 00:30.
  • As Stephen says you are just moving into the 6 lower payments, but let me present it another way.
    The difference is smaller than it seems, in fact it's half what it seems at first, here is why
    If your annual cost was say £1200

with PP you'd pay
    £80 for 6 months
    £120 for 6 months

or if not split winter summer with a different company
    £100 a month in 12 equal instalments

The difference isn't £40 a month more when it's higher or £40 less when warmer , it's £20 because if the payments were split equally you'd pay £100.

If your cash flow is so tight you've hit lucky as you've joined at the most advantageous time: you'd simply put the £20 into a jar for 6 months and there are your winter payments sorted (assuming no price changes)!

May I also point out that your reply makes no sense, on the one hand you say you can't afford the split system but on the other hand you want to hand a supplier more of your money so you can build up credit.
    ​I suspect the real issue is you want to pay a predictable and constant amount because that's how you've always budgeted, but you can still do that.

• hi giflos
    ​See my reply above..
    I don't understand this system. Why can't i build up credit in the summer if I want to? I get paid the same amount every month all year round and like regular direct debit payments to match this. I want to build up credit in the summer to help pay for the winter - why won't you let me?
  • hi giflos
    ​See my reply above..
    I don't understand this system. Why can't i build up credit in the summer if I want to? I get paid the same amount every month all year round and like regular direct debit payments to match this. I want to build up credit in the summer to help pay for the winter - why won't you let me?
  • I have always paid my bills by direct debit. I get paid the same salary every month winter and summer. I would like to pay the same amount for my energy bills all the year round. Paying less in the summer means I pay more in the winter - there is no saving over the year in cheaper summer bills - just the prospect of paying more next winter when I have Christmas to pay for. PP was happy enough for me to pay a month in advance at the beginning of the contract - that buffer has now gone. Why won't they let me build up the same buffer over the summer to offset the higher winter bills so I can pay the same amount all year round? Paying less in the summer is not a saving for me - it helps make winter less affordable. All I want is the option. I keep being told I can make additional payments but I can't work out how.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are missing my point - you are saying that this modern electronics system means I have to physically store money in a jar because the system doesn't want to allow me to pay regular amounts? That makes no sense to me. You are right - I do want regular, predictable payments but what is wrong with that? As I say, I get a regular, predictable salary. My fuel consumption is less regular but for us it snowed in June last year and was hot in September - I think you have convinced me that the PP system is too inflexible for me. Back to my previous supplier, I think. I'm sad but the pricing just doesn't suit my needs.
  • I have always paid my bills by direct debit. I get paid the same salary every month winter and summer. I would like to pay the same amount for my energy bills all the year round. Paying less in the summer means I pay more in the winter - there is no saving over the year in cheaper summer bills - just the prospect of paying more next winter when I have Christmas to pay for. PP was happy enough for me to pay a month in advance at the beginning of the contract - that buffer has now gone. Why won't they let me build up the same buffer over the summer to offset the higher winter bills so I can pay the same amount all year round? Paying less in the summer is not a saving for me - it helps make winter less affordable. All I want is the option. I keep being told I can make additional payments but I can't work out how.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are missing my point - you are saying that this modern electronics system means I have to physically store money in a jar because the system doesn't want to allow me to pay regular amounts? That makes no sense to me. You are right - I do want regular, predictable payments but what is wrong with that? As I say, I get a regular, predictable salary. My fuel consumption is less regular but for us it snowed in June last year and was hot in September - I think you have convinced me that the PP system is too inflexible for me. Back to my previous supplier, I think. I'm sad but the pricing just doesn't suit my needs.
    ? Paying less in the summer is not a saving for me - it helps make winter less affordable. All I want is the option. I keep being told I can make additional payments but I can't work out how.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are missing my point - you are saying that this modern electronics system means I have to physically store money in a jar because the system doesn't want to allow me to pay regular amounts? That makes no sense to me. You are right - I do want regular, predictable payments but what is wrong with that? I think you have convinced me that the PP system is too inflexible for me. Back to my previous supplier, I think. I'm sad but the pricing just doesn't suit my needs.
    Hi giflos

Personally, I don't put the money in a jar, I put it in a bank where it earns 5% interest... But if 12 regular payments is what you want, I guess you'll have to switch - just hope you don't pay more for the privilege.

The info about how to make a one-off payment is here:

https://community.purepla.net/conten...anet#ckb_start

Best of luck
    Stephen
    ? Paying less in the summer is not a saving for me - it helps make winter less affordable. All I want is the option. I keep being told I can make additional payments but I can't work out how.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are missing my point - you are saying that this modern electronics system means I have to physically store money in a jar because the system doesn't want to allow me to pay regular amounts? That makes no sense to me. You are right - I do want regular, predictable payments but what is wrong with that? I think you have convinced me that the PP system is too inflexible for me. Back to my previous supplier, I think. I'm sad but the pricing just doesn't suit my needs.
    Hi giflos

Personally, I don't put the money in a jar, I put it in a bank where it earns 5% interest... But if 12 regular payments is what you want, I guess you'll have to switch - just hope you don't pay more for the privilege.

The info about how to make a one-off payment is here:

https://community.purepla.net/conten...anet#ckb_start

Best of luck
    Stephen
  • Hi Marc
    I think the idea of DD reviews is really excellent but how do we request a refund for an excessive balance? I certainly have over twice my monthly DD as a positive balance and that after the cold months. I expect this to only grow month on month.
  • Hi Marc
    I think the idea of DD reviews is really excellent but how do we request a refund for an excessive balance? I certainly have over twice my monthly DD as a positive balance and that after the cold months. I expect this to only grow month on month.
  • hi savvyboy
    no problem to get a refund, head over to help in the app( menu drop down list) ask wattbot, type “message the team and ask for your account to be reviewed. If you expect the credit to keep on growing you might want to consider a minor adjustment of the dd, but beware it’s difficult to gauge over a short period, especially with global warming!
  • hi savvyboy
    no problem to get a refund, head over to help in the app( menu drop down list) ask wattbot, type “message the team and ask for your account to be reviewed. If you expect the credit to keep on growing you might want to consider a minor adjustment of the dd, but beware it’s difficult to gauge over a short period, especially with global warming!
  • I personally love the split payments. I know in advance how much is being taken and allows me to get a little interest on my "savings" during the summer. Great service all round. Thank you
  • I personally love the split payments. I know in advance how much is being taken and allows me to get a little interest on my "savings" during the summer. Great service all round. Thank you
  • hi Sadruth
    That's outrageously reasonable!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadruth View Post
    I personally love the split payments. I know in advance how much is being taken and allows me to get a little interest on my "savings" during the summer. Great service all round. Thank you
  • hi Sadruth
    That's outrageously reasonable!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadruth View Post
    I personally love the split payments. I know in advance how much is being taken and allows me to get a little interest on my "savings" during the summer. Great service all round. Thank you
  • Hi @Sadruth - So do I. 👍👍
  • Hi @Sadruth - So do I. 👍👍