• New Property with Pure Planet as the Supplier

I've just moved into a new property and Pure Planet are the supplier for gas and electricity. I've received a bill but no instructions to pay. I can't switch supplier until the bill is paid. Also, The bill is on estimated readings and as the property has been empty for some time I think the bill is much to high in comparison to what I have actually used.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • I've just moved into a new property and Pure Planet are the supplier for gas and electricity. I've received a bill but no instructions to pay. I can't switch supplier until the bill is paid. Also, The bill is on estimated readings and as the property has been empty for some time I think the bill is much to high in comparison to what I have actually used.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hi GillH

Welcome to the community.

Have you download the Pure Planet app yet?
    Takes about a minute to sign up.
    Did you take some photos when you moved in..best to do that now along with your reading records. Once you have the APP everything becomes clearer and you can always come back here for assistance.

Here's some info from PP's repertoire of FAQs!

Is your new home on Pure Planet’s energy supply?
    If you’ve recently moved into your home (congratulations!) and it's on Pure Planet’s energy supply, we can get you up and running in no time.

Moving house is a tricky time, so we want to help as much as we can.

Once you’re in your new home, you’ll receive a letter from us in the post telling you about us.
    All you’ll then need to do is download our app via the App Store or Google Play and join up.

The process will take less than a minute.

You’ll then be contacted by us via email. Then, you’re all done. You’re on cheaper, renewable energy.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Strutt G; 21-03-19 at 16:04.
  • Hi GillH

Welcome to the community.

Have you download the Pure Planet app yet?
    Takes about a minute to sign up.
    Did you take some photos when you moved in..best to do that now along with your reading records. Once you have the APP everything becomes clearer and you can always come back here for assistance.

Here's some info from PP's repertoire of FAQs!

Is your new home on Pure Planet’s energy supply?
    If you’ve recently moved into your home (congratulations!) and it's on Pure Planet’s energy supply, we can get you up and running in no time.

Moving house is a tricky time, so we want to help as much as we can.

Once you’re in your new home, you’ll receive a letter from us in the post telling you about us.
    All you’ll then need to do is download our app via the App Store or Google Play and join up.

The process will take less than a minute.

You’ll then be contacted by us via email. Then, you’re all done. You’re on cheaper, renewable energy.

Hope that helps

• and if you don't intend to use PP as your supplier?
  • and if you don't intend to use PP as your supplier?

• Hi Altright

See attached responses from other members which may provide some options including a link for a one off payment in woz's advice..

https://community.purepla.net/thread...6700#post26700

Revert back for more assistance
  • Hi Altright

See attached responses from other members which may provide some options including a link for a one off payment in woz's advice..

https://community.purepla.net/thread...6700#post26700

Revert back for more assistance

• hi altright
    you are not obliged or forced to use PP as your supplier, you merely have to switch away to another supplier, as you would do with any other supplier, but you are a "deemed customer" since the property was supplied by PP as you would be whoever the energy provider was in your new property.(you could have been supplied by BG or Big6energy (I made that one up) or A.N Other etc. No difference other than PP don't have call centres, communication is via help in the app or on here)

You are of course responsible for paying the energy from when you moved in until you switch away. The great news is you are unlikely to find a better deal, it's renewable energy (or in the case of gas offset with renewable credits) AND there is no penalty for switching out at any time, so as I see it you nothing to lose by joining...oh and we are a friendly lot here in the community.
    The deemed customer journey is work in progress, PP are aware it's not as smooth as it could be, but the intention isn't to hold you captive.

By far the easiest route is to use the app to sign up, and if you have the wherewithal (ios or android phone or tablet) that's what I'd recommend, but it's not mandatory.
    There is a facility to make one-off payments HERE, you'll obviously need to provide meter readings etc.
    If you need more help post back - nice provocative choice of username by the way...
    Quote Originally Posted by altright View Post
    and if you don't intend to use PP as your supplier?
  • hi altright
    you are not obliged or forced to use PP as your supplier, you merely have to switch away to another supplier, as you would do with any other supplier, but you are a "deemed customer" since the property was supplied by PP as you would be whoever the energy provider was in your new property.(you could have been supplied by BG or Big6energy (I made that one up) or A.N Other etc. No difference other than PP don't have call centres, communication is via help in the app or on here)

You are of course responsible for paying the energy from when you moved in until you switch away. The great news is you are unlikely to find a better deal, it's renewable energy (or in the case of gas offset with renewable credits) AND there is no penalty for switching out at any time, so as I see it you nothing to lose by joining...oh and we are a friendly lot here in the community.
    The deemed customer journey is work in progress, PP are aware it's not as smooth as it could be, but the intention isn't to hold you captive.

By far the easiest route is to use the app to sign up, and if you have the wherewithal (ios or android phone or tablet) that's what I'd recommend, but it's not mandatory.
    There is a facility to make one-off payments HERE, you'll obviously need to provide meter readings etc.
    If you need more help post back - nice provocative choice of username by the way...
    Quote Originally Posted by altright View Post
    and if you don't intend to use PP as your supplier?

• woz@PP, Your statement 'you merely have to switch away to another supplier' is not quite my experience since i tried to do that when i moved into the property, and E.ON (my preferred and intended supplier) sent me a lovely letter back saying that they would love to be my energy supplier, however PP has stopped the switch from going through. Your 'intention' might not have been to hold me 'captive', however that is exactly what you are doing.
    So (Energy Ombudsman notwithstanding) how are we going to solve this? You have sent me a bill, which i am more than willing to pay once you adjust it to remove the 'Membership Fee' that i am not legally bound by.
  • woz@PP, Your statement 'you merely have to switch away to another supplier' is not quite my experience since i tried to do that when i moved into the property, and E.ON (my preferred and intended supplier) sent me a lovely letter back saying that they would love to be my energy supplier, however PP has stopped the switch from going through. Your 'intention' might not have been to hold me 'captive', however that is exactly what you are doing.
    So (Energy Ombudsman notwithstanding) how are we going to solve this? You have sent me a bill, which i am more than willing to pay once you adjust it to remove the 'Membership Fee' that i am not legally bound by.

• Hello and welcome.altright.
    You have two options.
    1. Download the app and sign up, agree your opening and current readings. Then two weeks after the sign up process is complete if you still feel that the app based approach to cheap energy is not for you simply switch to your preferred supplier.
    2. Read up in the how to guide and pay the balance due and then switch to your preferred supplier, any over payment will get refunded once your new supplier has agreed the opening readings you supply them( can take 6 weeks ). The membership fee is payable as its the equivalent of the standing charge so forms part of the bill.
    Last edited by Jon1; 04-04-19 at 17:44.
  • Hello and welcome.altright.
    You have two options.
    1. Download the app and sign up, agree your opening and current readings. Then two weeks after the sign up process is complete if you still feel that the app based approach to cheap energy is not for you simply switch to your preferred supplier.
    2. Read up in the how to guide and pay the balance due and then switch to your preferred supplier, any over payment will get refunded once your new supplier has agreed the opening readings you supply them( can take 6 weeks ). The membership fee is payable as its the equivalent of the standing charge so forms part of the bill.

• hi altright and @Marc
    I don't work for PP, I pay them to supply my energy so with that out of the way...
    You're a deemed customer and I believe the "membership fee is part of the conditions of being a customer much like if you were to move into a property supplied by E.On you would be expected to pay the standing charge. I may be wrong, I'm not a lawyer.
    My thinking is that Ofgem would not have allowed such a model for an energy company (no mark-up on the fuel) if it was contractually unfair.
    I am curious though, what led you to the conclusion that the membership fee wasn't payable? Maybe you're correct?

It's clear from your posts that it would be in everyone's interests for you to settle the bill and move on; I suggest, since you don't want to use the app, (which incidentally would not bind you legally any more so than you are bound now) that you send a private message
    I might also suggest a compromise to speed things up, not sure if PP will agree to it but perhaps if you were to make an agreed part payment and ask if that will allow you to switch to E.On while the readings can be examined as that can take quite a while.
    If you do switch you'll give e.on opening readings which will be used to calculate your final final bill, you can't really avoid using energy between applying and switching as it takes approx. 17 days and would have done so had you switched instantly.

E.On are hugely more expensive than PP, but I genuinely (not being sarcastic) guess that's irrelevant to you.
  • hi altright and @Marc
    I don't work for PP, I pay them to supply my energy so with that out of the way...
    You're a deemed customer and I believe the "membership fee is part of the conditions of being a customer much like if you were to move into a property supplied by E.On you would be expected to pay the standing charge. I may be wrong, I'm not a lawyer.
    My thinking is that Ofgem would not have allowed such a model for an energy company (no mark-up on the fuel) if it was contractually unfair.
    I am curious though, what led you to the conclusion that the membership fee wasn't payable? Maybe you're correct?

It's clear from your posts that it would be in everyone's interests for you to settle the bill and move on; I suggest, since you don't want to use the app, (which incidentally would not bind you legally any more so than you are bound now) that you send a private message
    I might also suggest a compromise to speed things up, not sure if PP will agree to it but perhaps if you were to make an agreed part payment and ask if that will allow you to switch to E.On while the readings can be examined as that can take quite a while.
    If you do switch you'll give e.on opening readings which will be used to calculate your final final bill, you can't really avoid using energy between applying and switching as it takes approx. 17 days and would have done so had you switched instantly.

E.On are hugely more expensive than PP, but I genuinely (not being sarcastic) guess that's irrelevant to you.

• Quote Originally Posted by altright View Post
    woz@PP, Your statement 'you merely have to switch away to another supplier' is not quite my experience since i tried to do that when i moved into the property, and E.ON (my preferred and intended supplier) sent me a lovely letter back saying that they would love to be my energy supplier, however PP has stopped the switch from going through. Your 'intention' might not have been to hold me 'captive', however that is exactly what you are doing.
    Hi there

If we agree that the membership fee is another name for the standing charge, does this help
    "So, what is a standing charge? Energy bills work a bit like telephone bills. With phones, you pay line rental to have the line and then are billed for specific calls on top. With energy, the standing charge is the cost of having a gas and electricity supply – then you pay usage charges on top.

Therefore the standing charge is the fee you pay to your energy supplier simply because it gives you access to energy. It's paid at a flat rate – ranging from around 10p-80p/day for gas and 5p-60p/day for electricity."

The Pure Planet t and C's state
    "Deemed Contract The Contract that arises where we are already providing energy to an Address at the date you move in, which is governed by these terms and conditions whether or not you have accepted them."

Also "Our Charges are comprised as follows:
    6.2.1. Our Tariff (our regular monthly Charges):
    Type Description
    A) Membership Fee This is the standing charge. It’s the daily rate, calculated and collected monthly in 12 installments each year. It covers your Meter maintenance, our operating costs and profit margin plus VAT"

Does that help at all? I think it means you are legally bound to pay the standing charge...
    Stephen
  • Quote Originally Posted by altright View Post
    woz@PP, Your statement 'you merely have to switch away to another supplier' is not quite my experience since i tried to do that when i moved into the property, and E.ON (my preferred and intended supplier) sent me a lovely letter back saying that they would love to be my energy supplier, however PP has stopped the switch from going through. Your 'intention' might not have been to hold me 'captive', however that is exactly what you are doing.
    Hi there

If we agree that the membership fee is another name for the standing charge, does this help
    "So, what is a standing charge? Energy bills work a bit like telephone bills. With phones, you pay line rental to have the line and then are billed for specific calls on top. With energy, the standing charge is the cost of having a gas and electricity supply – then you pay usage charges on top.

Therefore the standing charge is the fee you pay to your energy supplier simply because it gives you access to energy. It's paid at a flat rate – ranging from around 10p-80p/day for gas and 5p-60p/day for electricity."

The Pure Planet t and C's state
    "Deemed Contract The Contract that arises where we are already providing energy to an Address at the date you move in, which is governed by these terms and conditions whether or not you have accepted them."

Also "Our Charges are comprised as follows:
    6.2.1. Our Tariff (our regular monthly Charges):
    Type Description
    A) Membership Fee This is the standing charge. It’s the daily rate, calculated and collected monthly in 12 installments each year. It covers your Meter maintenance, our operating costs and profit margin plus VAT"

Does that help at all? I think it means you are legally bound to pay the standing charge...
    Stephen