• Pure Planet app - usage graphs

The usage graph that shows both gas and electricity readings is not very helpful in understanding my electricity usage (one can see from the attached image that in terms of kWh on the same scale there’s a big seasonal variation with gas, but much less with electricity). Better would be separate graphs, with the vertical axes scaled appropriately to capture the high and low readings.
    Another possible feature (previously suggested by someone else) is to display separate chart series for each year, thus allowing comparisons between years.
    Name:  5BFBB529-478C-47DB-896A-385B7FBCB4C5.png
Views: 646
Size:  142.4 KB
  • The usage graph that shows both gas and electricity readings is not very helpful in understanding my electricity usage (one can see from the attached image that in terms of kWh on the same scale there’s a big seasonal variation with gas, but much less with electricity). Better would be separate graphs, with the vertical axes scaled appropriately to capture the high and low readings.
    Another possible feature (previously suggested by someone else) is to display separate chart series for each year, thus allowing comparisons between years.
    Name:  5BFBB529-478C-47DB-896A-385B7FBCB4C5.png
Views: 646
Size:  142.4 KB
  • Hi @schase
    Great shout and I completely agree
    Our team are working on this so that you can see more detail of electricity usage.
    When there's more news I'll update you guys here, but right now we're looking at sorting this in a release next month (April) - so good timing!
    Last edited by Marc; 21-03-19 at 11:30. Reason: New info
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Hi @schase
    Great shout and I completely agree
    Our team are working on this so that you can see more detail of electricity usage.
    When there's more news I'll update you guys here, but right now we're looking at sorting this in a release next month (April) - so good timing!

• Hi @schase
    I've got some designs to share.
    They show a view of the usage graphs where you can tap to choose whether to see both, or just electricity, or just gas.
    We're on track to make this live later this month.

Here's both:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pure Planet app gas and electricity.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	1939

Here's elec only:

Name:	Pure Planet electricity usage.PNG 
Views:	168 
Size:	645.9 KB 
ID:	1940

Here's gas only:

Name:	Pure Planet gas usage.PNG 
Views:	159 
Size:	631.6 KB 
ID:	1941

• Hi @schase
    I've got some designs to share.
    They show a view of the usage graphs where you can tap to choose whether to see both, or just electricity, or just gas.
    We're on track to make this live later this month.

Here's both:

Name:	Pure Planet app gas and electricity.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	1939

Here's elec only:

Name:	Pure Planet electricity usage.PNG 
Views:	168 
Size:	645.9 KB 
ID:	1940

Here's gas only:

Name:	Pure Planet gas usage.PNG 
Views:	159 
Size:	631.6 KB 
ID:	1941

• Looks good! That's more or less what I was suggesting. Any possibility of having a scale on the vertical axis (maybe just the max value)?
  • Looks good! That's more or less what I was suggesting. Any possibility of having a scale on the vertical axis (maybe just the max value)?
  • Hi Marc,
    These "new" charts look to be a real improvement on the current one ! Looking forward to receiving the new version in an upgrade to the App.
    Gray4276
  • Hi Marc,
    These "new" charts look to be a real improvement on the current one ! Looking forward to receiving the new version in an upgrade to the App.
    Gray4276
  • The new graph design looks much clearer. I would agree with @schase about a scale along the side.
  • The new graph design looks much clearer. I would agree with @schase about a scale along the side.
  • Quote Originally Posted by schase View Post
    Looks good! That's more or less what I was suggesting. Any possibility of having a scale on the vertical axis (maybe just the max value)?
    Excellent!
    Good call about scale.
    I'll mention this to our app team, though I'm sure they've thought of this already. It might be tricky given the big differences in Members' usage. This version of the new graphs may well be step one, with more to come in later updates.

• Quote Originally Posted by schase View Post
    Looks good! That's more or less what I was suggesting. Any possibility of having a scale on the vertical axis (maybe just the max value)?
    Excellent!
    Good call about scale.
    I'll mention this to our app team, though I'm sure they've thought of this already. It might be tricky given the big differences in Members' usage. This version of the new graphs may well be step one, with more to come in later updates.

• Graph scales are fascinating - Jus a random thought.
    Sorry to those who know this already....but I was watching something on the TV many years ago on how to manipulate graphs.
    I found it quite useful for work, when results are not going so well by slimming down the horizontal axis gaps etc so the peaks of loss and profit don't look so way off.
  • Graph scales are fascinating - Jus a random thought.
    Sorry to those who know this already....but I was watching something on the TV many years ago on how to manipulate graphs.
    I found it quite useful for work, when results are not going so well by slimming down the horizontal axis gaps etc so the peaks of loss and profit don't look so way off.
  • Only being with PP for about 6 months. Are you also able to see usage compared to previous years?
    Last edited by ChrisH; 05-04-19 at 17:28.
  • Only being with PP for about 6 months. Are you also able to see usage compared to previous years?
  • It would be good but I doubt that will be possible, PP would have to have access to all your previous data, and to provide a meaningful comparison the data would have to be overlaid and the previous readings would have to have been taken monthly etc. etc.
    I can see many reasons why it can't happen and very few why it might, but if PP are disciplined in the way they manage the data, and you stay with them.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Only being with PP for about 6 months. Are you also able to see usage compared to previous years?
  • It would be good but I doubt that will be possible, PP would have to have access to all your previous data, and to provide a meaningful comparison the data would have to be overlaid and the previous readings would have to have been taken monthly etc. etc.
    I can see many reasons why it can't happen and very few why it might, but if PP are disciplined in the way they manage the data, and you stay with them.....
    Only being with PP for about 6 months. Are you also able to see usage compared to previous years?
  • If you can't manage a scale because of the variation in magnitude would be compromised (and my first reaction was that without a scale the chart was meaningless because the blobs meant nothing other than their magnitude relative to each other) then I have a suggestion.
    The action of running your finger along the graph would cause the actual numbers to appear next to the dots one at a time.
    This would work particularly well if you were able to display one year laid over a previous year and showed both figures for the same month on different years.

It's not a perfect idea and some refinement is required...
  • If you can't manage a scale because of the variation in magnitude would be compromised (and my first reaction was that without a scale the chart was meaningless because the blobs meant nothing other than their magnitude relative to each other) then I have a suggestion.
    The action of running your finger along the graph would cause the actual numbers to appear next to the dots one at a time.
    This would work particularly well if you were able to display one year laid over a previous year and showed both figures for the same month on different years.

It's not a perfect idea and some refinement is required...
  • Thanks Woz. I agree that PP wouldn’t have access to previous supplier info but I don’t see why they couldn’t provide a comparison to previous years usage if it was all PP data. My previous ‘Big 6’ supplier was able to do this on their app, plus show how they had estimated usage through the year (updated as you supplied readings). My previous supplier could also show how my usage compared to similar households. I admit the latter might be more difficult to achieve as PP won’t have the scale of that supplier to compare but don’t see why the former cannot be done.
  • Thanks Woz. I agree that PP wouldn’t have access to previous supplier info but I don’t see why they couldn’t provide a comparison to previous years usage if it was all PP data. My previous ‘Big 6’ supplier was able to do this on their app, plus show how they had estimated usage through the year (updated as you supplied readings). My previous supplier could also show how my usage compared to similar households. I admit the latter might be more difficult to achieve as PP won’t have the scale of that supplier to compare but don’t see why the former cannot be done.
  • Agree it needs a scale. That should be able to auto adjust to each users usage. I know our devs have done that for an internet filter where each school will have a different amount of 'requests'

And should be possible to have previous (PP) years data and even projected data I would think.
  • Agree it needs a scale. That should be able to auto adjust to each users usage. I know our devs have done that for an internet filter where each school will have a different amount of 'requests'

And should be possible to have previous (PP) years data and even projected data I would think.
  • hi Chris
    since you said you'd only been with PP for 6 months and asked about previous years, I assumed you meant previous years...
    ​yes once PP have a history you ought to be able to see it all (is my opinion).
    Thanks Woz. I agree that PP wouldn’t have access to previous supplier info but I don’t see why they couldn’t provide a comparison to previous years usage if it was all PP data. My previous ‘Big 6’ supplier was able to do this on their app, plus show how they had estimated usage through the year (updated as you supplied readings). My previous supplier could also show how my usage compared to similar households. I admit the latter might be more difficult to achieve as PP won’t have the scale of that supplier to compare but don’t see why the former cannot be done.
  • hi Chris
    since you said you'd only been with PP for 6 months and asked about previous years, I assumed you meant previous years...
    ​yes once PP have a history you ought to be able to see it all (is my opinion).
    Thanks Woz. I agree that PP wouldn’t have access to previous supplier info but I don’t see why they couldn’t provide a comparison to previous years usage if it was all PP data. My previous ‘Big 6’ supplier was able to do this on their app, plus show how they had estimated usage through the year (updated as you supplied readings). My previous supplier could also show how my usage compared to similar households. I admit the latter might be more difficult to achieve as PP won’t have the scale of that supplier to compare but don’t see why the former cannot be done.
  • Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Hi @ChrisH
    Nice one for getting stuck in to the community.
    And nice idea!
    It's not something we've got right now, but what I'll do is feed this back to our tech team and get it on our roadmap.

• Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Hi @ChrisH
    Nice one for getting stuck in to the community.
    And nice idea!
    It's not something we've got right now, but what I'll do is feed this back to our tech team and get it on our roadmap.

• Why are the end blobs bigger?
  • Why are the end blobs bigger?
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Why are the end blobs bigger?
    Woz,
    The big "blobs" are an indication of the relevant month that you have selected in the "usage" monthly details above the graph.
    Gray4276
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Why are the end blobs bigger?
    Woz,
    The big "blobs" are an indication of the relevant month that you have selected in the "usage" monthly details above the graph.
    Gray4276
  • hi Gray, thanks, I'm not keen on the implementation for a few reasons.
    @marc
    The date on the top scrolls out of view, it would be better placed below the readings and above (the now) conventional sideways scrolling dots which denote that its sideways scrollable.
    clicking on compare usage should position the graph slightly higher on screen and use a bit of the wasted space above it and you shouldn't have to scroll up to see the bottom scale, which you do now.
    The J for January should be slightly bolder than the other letters and the year could appear below it?

I think the big blob looks clumsy, how about changing it to a smaller sized triangle- the colour can stay the same or be made a little darker than the original line colour.
    The scales could go at either side, Electric lhs in orange gas scale in blue on rhs.
  • hi Gray, thanks, I'm not keen on the implementation for a few reasons.
    @marc
    The date on the top scrolls out of view, it would be better placed below the readings and above (the now) conventional sideways scrolling dots which denote that its sideways scrollable.
    clicking on compare usage should position the graph slightly higher on screen and use a bit of the wasted space above it and you shouldn't have to scroll up to see the bottom scale, which you do now.
    The J for January should be slightly bolder than the other letters and the year could appear below it?

I think the big blob looks clumsy, how about changing it to a smaller sized triangle- the colour can stay the same or be made a little darker than the original line colour.
    The scales could go at either side, Electric lhs in orange gas scale in blue on rhs.
  • Hi Woz.......as always you're a deep thinker 📊 🖖
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi Gray, thanks, I'm not keen on the implementation for a few reasons.
    @marc

Gray4276
  • Hi Woz.......as always you're a deep thinker 📊 🖖
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi Gray, thanks, I'm not keen on the implementation for a few reasons.
    @marc

Gray4276
  • My thread in Ask The Community might be of interest:

https://community.purepla.net/thread...ll=1#post27561
  • My thread in Ask The Community might be of interest:

https://community.purepla.net/thread...ll=1#post27561