• Hey everyone

Today iiiiis... Book Lovers day!
    A day to take some time to find your fav reading spot, a good book, and chill out

Or a very good excuse to avoid housework and have a read instead...

Anyone have some good 'summer read' recommendations?
    On Waterstones one of the top holiday reads is apparently Greta Thunberg's 'No one is too small'.
  • Hey everyone

Today iiiiis... Book Lovers day!
    A day to take some time to find your fav reading spot, a good book, and chill out

Or a very good excuse to avoid housework and have a read instead...

Anyone have some good 'summer read' recommendations?
    On Waterstones one of the top holiday reads is apparently Greta Thunberg's 'No one is too small'.
  • Not been reading for a while, as too blurry, but now I’ve got my ready readers πŸ‘“πŸ€“πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚, I’m sorted, and purchased this little beauty πŸΎπŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•, nine notes Asda, sounds a lovely read πŸ“šπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Name:  D375C1CC-0DC0-4065-905B-F42AFDB9FDCB.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  1.56 MB
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Not been reading for a while, as too blurry, but now I’ve got my ready readers πŸ‘“πŸ€“πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚, I’m sorted, and purchased this little beauty πŸΎπŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•, nine notes Asda, sounds a lovely read πŸ“šπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Name:  D375C1CC-0DC0-4065-905B-F42AFDB9FDCB.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  1.56 MB

WALT WHITMAN
  • I'm having a book cull at the moment to make room on the shelves for some more. They'll be going off to raise money for a local church.

Meanwhile, I have just started Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers. I haven't read it for several years and I'd forgotten what a detailed, thoroughly engrossing book it is; the sort where your mug of coffee goes cold and you suddenly realise it's two in the morning. It is a sailor's book as a lot of the technical jargon will be lost on the majority of people.

Can I make another recommendation for those into deep, multi-layered, convoluted plots? Try the Millennium Trilogy by Steig Larsen, but read them in the correct order:- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's nest.
    Once finished I suggest you go back to the beginning and start all over again. I guarantee you'll get more out of it on the second, or even third, reading.

Going through my bookshelves is like meeting old friends I haven't seen for years. Two books sit side by side that should be essential, nay, mandatory reading for all 15/16 year olds. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque, and Covenant With Death by John Harris. Told from the opposite side of No Man's Land in the First World war they dispel any ideas of the glory of war.

James A. Michener was a prolific author who employed a huge team or researchers for his historical novels. They're all good, but my favourites are The Source, Caravans, Space, Mexico and Chesapeake.
  • I'm having a book cull at the moment to make room on the shelves for some more. They'll be going off to raise money for a local church.

Meanwhile, I have just started Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers. I haven't read it for several years and I'd forgotten what a detailed, thoroughly engrossing book it is; the sort where your mug of coffee goes cold and you suddenly realise it's two in the morning. It is a sailor's book as a lot of the technical jargon will be lost on the majority of people.

Can I make another recommendation for those into deep, multi-layered, convoluted plots? Try the Millennium Trilogy by Steig Larsen, but read them in the correct order:- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's nest.
    Once finished I suggest you go back to the beginning and start all over again. I guarantee you'll get more out of it on the second, or even third, reading.

Going through my bookshelves is like meeting old friends I haven't seen for years. Two books sit side by side that should be essential, nay, mandatory reading for all 15/16 year olds. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque, and Covenant With Death by John Harris. Told from the opposite side of No Man's Land in the First World war they dispel any ideas of the glory of war.

James A. Michener was a prolific author who employed a huge team or researchers for his historical novels. They're all good, but my favourites are The Source, Caravans, Space, Mexico and Chesapeake.
  • Good tip there re Millennium Trilogy @Oakbank
    I listened to all three books as audiobooks a few years ago. Each one was about 20 hours long (if I recall) but def worth it.
    Right now I've gone all non-fiction.
    Currently reading 'In Praise of Walking' by Shane O'Mara. A fantastic book if, like me, you're into walking.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Good tip there re Millennium Trilogy @Oakbank
    I listened to all three books as audiobooks a few years ago. Each one was about 20 hours long (if I recall) but def worth it.
    Right now I've gone all non-fiction.
    Currently reading 'In Praise of Walking' by Shane O'Mara. A fantastic book if, like me, you're into walking.

• Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    No, you’ve even got a thumbs up Wozeeta, cos I’m such a grammar stickler too, so well spotted and thank you!

My biggest biggest loathing right now, and sooooooo on the increase, is the inability to differentiate between YOUR and YOU’RE πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘Ž

Your so write.
    No, you’ve even got a thumbs up Wozeeta, cos I’m such a grammar stickler too, so well spotted and thank you!

My biggest biggest loathing right now, and sooooooo on the increase, is the inability to differentiate between YOUR and YOU’RE πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘Ž

Your so write.
  • Just to report, β€œBarrie” by Sean Laidlaw πŸΎπŸΆπŸ’•was one divine read! Absolutely adored it, finished it today. Smashing book πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    Last edited by Bev; 04-09-19 at 17:46. Reason: The Grange Hill sausage

WALT WHITMAN
  • Just to report, β€œBarrie” by Sean Laidlaw πŸΎπŸΆπŸ’•was one divine read! Absolutely adored it, finished it today. Smashing book πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Hey book lovers!

Can't say I'm that much of a reader but I have a couple of favourites that I read every couple of years and I try and read a bit when I'm travelling around on trains and stuff.

I've just this minute put down Song of Achilles which I have read about 4 times since it was published. Absolutely beautiful story and gripping from the start.

Name:  IMG_20190904_173705_096.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  70.7 KB

It's got something for everyone, history, mythology, LGBT, love, action, war - I would honestly recommend it to everyone. I love how the love isn't over the top, isn't gushing, they don't even tell each other that they do but the writing is so good you can just tell; the way they look at each other, speak of each other and follow each other. I might just re-read it again now!
  • Hey book lovers!

Can't say I'm that much of a reader but I have a couple of favourites that I read every couple of years and I try and read a bit when I'm travelling around on trains and stuff.

I've just this minute put down Song of Achilles which I have read about 4 times since it was published. Absolutely beautiful story and gripping from the start.

Name:  IMG_20190904_173705_096.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  70.7 KB

It's got something for everyone, history, mythology, LGBT, love, action, war - I would honestly recommend it to everyone. I love how the love isn't over the top, isn't gushing, they don't even tell each other that they do but the writing is so good you can just tell; the way they look at each other, speak of each other and follow each other. I might just re-read it again now!
  • Kelly Armstrongs are good. I used to pick them up from the library but have been kindling for a few months. Must go back and take a look

However went to a Literary Murder Books Festival at the beginning of the summer. Found some new authors - Nicki French, Mick something (does Slow Horses with Jackson Lamb a series with spies who made a big mistake so MI5 wants rid of them) and Ellie Griffis. And reconnected with some older ones - Aggie Christie, Dick and Felix Francis (my gateway books into murders) and Val McDermid. Have been binging on murder for weeks now but have finished two series (make the authors write faster!!!!!) so need to go back to the library and do a blind grab a book again
    Last edited by Erika123; 06-09-19 at 15:59.
  • Kelly Armstrongs are good. I used to pick them up from the library but have been kindling for a few months. Must go back and take a look

However went to a Literary Murder Books Festival at the beginning of the summer. Found some new authors - Nicki French, Mick something (does Slow Horses with Jackson Lamb a series with spies who made a big mistake so MI5 wants rid of them) and Ellie Griffis. And reconnected with some older ones - Aggie Christie, Dick and Felix Francis (my gateway books into murders) and Val McDermid. Have been binging on murder for weeks now but have finished two series (make the authors write faster!!!!!) so need to go back to the library and do a blind grab a book again
  • Quote Originally Posted by Erika123 View Post
    Kelly Armstrongs are good. I used to pick them up from the library but have been kindling for a few months. Must go back and take a look However went to a Literary Murder Books Festival at the beginning of the summer. Found some new authors - Nicki French, Mick something (does Slow Horses with Jackson Lamb a series with spies who made a big mistake so MI5 wants rid of them) and Ellie Griffis. And reconnected with some older ones - Aggie Christie, Dick and Felix Francis (my gateway books into murders) and Val McDermid. Have been binging on murder for weeks now but have finished two series (make the authors write faster!!!!!) so need to go back to the library and do a blind grab a book again
    I really like reading crime books too but find I can't read them just before bed

Any Felix Francis ones you particularly recommend?
    Going on holiday next week so could do with a few new reads
  • Quote Originally Posted by Erika123 View Post
    Kelly Armstrongs are good. I used to pick them up from the library but have been kindling for a few months. Must go back and take a look However went to a Literary Murder Books Festival at the beginning of the summer. Found some new authors - Nicki French, Mick something (does Slow Horses with Jackson Lamb a series with spies who made a big mistake so MI5 wants rid of them) and Ellie Griffis. And reconnected with some older ones - Aggie Christie, Dick and Felix Francis (my gateway books into murders) and Val McDermid. Have been binging on murder for weeks now but have finished two series (make the authors write faster!!!!!) so need to go back to the library and do a blind grab a book again
    I really like reading crime books too but find I can't read them just before bed

Any Felix Francis ones you particularly recommend?
    Going on holiday next week so could do with a few new reads
  • Two new little bad boys just arrived πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸŽ£πŸ‘©*🍳

Name:  3110B5FE-175A-4305-9254-000D5EA65F2D.jpeg
Views: 32
Size:  889.4 KB

WALT WHITMAN
  • Two new little bad boys just arrived πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸŽ£πŸ‘©*🍳

WALT WHITMAN
  • Are social services involved?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Two new little bad boys just arrived οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½*οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½ οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½
  • Are social services involved?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Two new little bad boys just arrived οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½*οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½ οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½
    Two new little bad boys just arrived
    What's the Jamie Oliver veg book like @Bev
    ​Would you recommend it?

Two new little bad boys just arrived
    What's the Jamie Oliver veg book like @Bev
    ​Would you recommend it?

• Can honestly truly say Marc, it’s sitting on arm of my armchair and remains unopened! I picked up the Mortimer 🎣 and on chapter seven! Can’t put it down! Adore it! I’m certain Jamie will be highly recommended by me, as adore his books soooo much. Think this one will be by far his best tho, for my dietary needs anyway πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Can honestly truly say Marc, it’s sitting on arm of my armchair and remains unopened! I picked up the Mortimer 🎣 and on chapter seven! Can’t put it down! Adore it! I’m certain Jamie will be highly recommended by me, as adore his books soooo much. Think this one will be by far his best tho, for my dietary needs anyway πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
    Can honestly truly say Marc, it’s sitting on arm of my armchair and remains unopened! I picked up the Mortimerand on chapter seven! Can’t put it down! Adore it!
    Love it when that happens @Bev

Can honestly truly say Marc, it’s sitting on arm of my armchair and remains unopened! I picked up the Mortimerand on chapter seven! Can’t put it down! Adore it!
    Love it when that happens @Bev

I’m certain Jamie will be highly recommended by me, as adore his books soooo much. Think this one will be by far his best tho, for my dietary needs anyway
    Looks like it'll be good inspiration for your future cookbook @Bev

I read a couple of books while on holiday last week, is there anything more relaxing than sitting in the sun with a fanta lemon (the classic summer holiday drink) and a book?
    ​
    One of them was a nice, easy, holiday read and really enjoyable - called 'EnchantΓ©e', set in France just before the revolution and all about a kind of magic - mostly used by people to cheat at cards and earn money in the Palace of Versailles.

I particularly liked that though the book was in English, most of the phrases and exclamations were written in French
    I’m certain Jamie will be highly recommended by me, as adore his books soooo much. Think this one will be by far his best tho, for my dietary needs anyway
    Looks like it'll be good inspiration for your future cookbook @Bev

I read a couple of books while on holiday last week, is there anything more relaxing than sitting in the sun with a fanta lemon (the classic summer holiday drink) and a book?
    ​
    One of them was a nice, easy, holiday read and really enjoyable - called 'EnchantΓ©e', set in France just before the revolution and all about a kind of magic - mostly used by people to cheat at cards and earn money in the Palace of Versailles.

I particularly liked that though the book was in English, most of the phrases and exclamations were written in French
  • HEY, welcome back Nat! Soooo glad you had a lovely relaxing holiday β˜€οΈπŸ˜ŽβœˆοΈπŸπŸ‘

Hee hee re cookbook!

​I was only thinking the other day how much I enjoyed learning French at school yet never used since! I don’t think they even teach it today! Great yours came in useful Nat πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸΈ
    Last edited by Bev; 16-09-19 at 19:46. Reason: It’s ok to run up and down your hallway like a mad woman sometimes πŸ‘πŸ˜‚

WALT WHITMAN
  • HEY, welcome back Nat! Soooo glad you had a lovely relaxing holiday β˜€οΈπŸ˜ŽβœˆοΈπŸπŸ‘

Hee hee re cookbook!

​I was only thinking the other day how much I enjoyed learning French at school yet never used since! I don’t think they even teach it today! Great yours came in useful Nat πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸΈ

WALT WHITMAN