• Gas Central Heating Ban from 2025

Bet this will upset the boiler manufacturers!

Gas Central Heating Ban from 2025

It'll be interesting to see what the unintended consequences will be.

1) Replacement boilers will be considerably more expensive as fewer will be made.

2) There will be a blossoming of 'here today, gone tomorrow' firms offering sub-standard air-source and ground-source heat pumps that can utilise your existing radiators (Hah! Not a chance)
  • Bet this will upset the boiler manufacturers!

Gas Central Heating Ban from 2025

It'll be interesting to see what the unintended consequences will be.

1) Replacement boilers will be considerably more expensive as fewer will be made.

2) There will be a blossoming of 'here today, gone tomorrow' firms offering sub-standard air-source and ground-source heat pumps that can utilise your existing radiators (Hah! Not a chance)
  • Thanks for this Oakbank and I always enjoy the BBC topic comments
  • Thanks for this Oakbank and I always enjoy the BBC topic comments
  • Interesting post @Oakbank
    A friend of my cousin who works with this guy.... well his sister's aunt's neighbour might be thinking about getting a new bathroom in a couple of months.
    A question of radiators and towel rails will arise!
    Would you go electric with these?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Interesting post @Oakbank
    A friend of my cousin who works with this guy.... well his sister's aunt's neighbour might be thinking about getting a new bathroom in a couple of months.
    A question of radiators and towel rails will arise!
    Would you go electric with these?

• Marc

Bathrooms are often, perhaps most often, used at the beginning and end of the day when the central heating system is either winding up or winding down. For that reason we installed electric underfloor heating in the en-suite and guest bathrooms. Nice and toasty underfoot when you're padding around in your bare feet. The system is on it's own timer and has both a floor temperature and room temperature thermostat.

The towel rails are part of the central heating circuit, but unlike the radiators there are no TRVs (Thermostatic Radiator Valves). The reason being there must ALWAYS be a complete circuit for the hot water. If you were to fit TRVs on every radiator and towel rail there is, in theory, the possibility of you shutting off the flow. It is good practice not to have a TRV on the radiator in the same room as the thermostat.
  • Marc

Bathrooms are often, perhaps most often, used at the beginning and end of the day when the central heating system is either winding up or winding down. For that reason we installed electric underfloor heating in the en-suite and guest bathrooms. Nice and toasty underfoot when you're padding around in your bare feet. The system is on it's own timer and has both a floor temperature and room temperature thermostat.

The towel rails are part of the central heating circuit, but unlike the radiators there are no TRVs (Thermostatic Radiator Valves). The reason being there must ALWAYS be a complete circuit for the hot water. If you were to fit TRVs on every radiator and towel rail there is, in theory, the possibility of you shutting off the flow. It is good practice not to have a TRV on the radiator in the same room as the thermostat.
  • Perhaps I should have added your cousin's friend's sister's aunt could consider electric towel rails on a timer. They could come for an hour or two shortly before the central heating comes on in the morning and similarly before she goes to bed of an evening. If, like so many of us of a certain age who have to get up during the night for a pee, the towel rails could also be controlled by a thermostat keeping the bathroom at a pleasant temperature overnight.
  • Perhaps I should have added your cousin's friend's sister's aunt could consider electric towel rails on a timer. They could come for an hour or two shortly before the central heating comes on in the morning and similarly before she goes to bed of an evening. If, like so many of us of a certain age who have to get up during the night for a pee, the towel rails could also be controlled by a thermostat keeping the bathroom at a pleasant temperature overnight.
  • It feels a bit like a knee jerk, try and distract from Brexit type of policy to me. Similar to banning diesal cars - we need some infrastructure and proper plans in place first.

The idea of heat-pump based sounds great to me though in theory
  • It feels a bit like a knee jerk, try and distract from Brexit type of policy to me. Similar to banning diesal cars - we need some infrastructure and proper plans in place first.

• Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    It feels a bit like a knee jerk, try and distract from Brexit type of policy to me. Similar to banning diesal cars - we need some infrastructure and proper plans in place first.

i agree. I just think domestic central heating based around heat pumps is in its infancy.
    If you go the ground source route you either need a decent sized garden or a borehole. If you have to install an air source heat pump you need space on a wall or roof to hang something the size of a small fridge. Either way, the heat extracted is not enough to use in radiators. You need either a large surface area, such as underfloor heating coils or utilise warm air ducting. Fine for a new build if properly designed, but it does not lend itself to a retrofit in older properties.
    It’s worth pointing out the heat you can extract from such a system is limited and you have to take into account heat loss from the property. As things stand at the moment you can always ‘stick in a bigger boiler’ and, if you can afford the gas bills, keep your home as warm as you like. You just can’t do that with a heat pump system. You have to have really efficient insulation to minimise heat loss.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jowl View Post
    It feels a bit like a knee jerk, try and distract from Brexit type of policy to me. Similar to banning diesal cars - we need some infrastructure and proper plans in place first.

i agree. I just think domestic central heating based around heat pumps is in its infancy.
    If you go the ground source route you either need a decent sized garden or a borehole. If you have to install an air source heat pump you need space on a wall or roof to hang something the size of a small fridge. Either way, the heat extracted is not enough to use in radiators. You need either a large surface area, such as underfloor heating coils or utilise warm air ducting. Fine for a new build if properly designed, but it does not lend itself to a retrofit in older properties.
    It’s worth pointing out the heat you can extract from such a system is limited and you have to take into account heat loss from the property. As things stand at the moment you can always ‘stick in a bigger boiler’ and, if you can afford the gas bills, keep your home as warm as you like. You just can’t do that with a heat pump system. You have to have really efficient insulation to minimise heat loss.
  • Interesting info on Heat pumps. I guess as the initial push if for new builds, it helps with the installs of whichever heat pump you're going for. Presumably they'll be a push to use electric heating to suppliment and heat requirements.
    What I will say is that I live in a nearly 5 year old 'new build' and the insulation and low heat loss is very very good. We did come from a ~100 year old terrace but never the less, it's very noticable.
  • Interesting info on Heat pumps. I guess as the initial push if for new builds, it helps with the installs of whichever heat pump you're going for. Presumably they'll be a push to use electric heating to suppliment and heat requirements.
    What I will say is that I live in a nearly 5 year old 'new build' and the insulation and low heat loss is very very good. We did come from a ~100 year old terrace but never the less, it's very noticable.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    Perhaps I should have added your cousin's friend's sister's aunt could consider electric towel rails on a timer. They could come for an hour or two shortly before the central heating comes on in the morning and similarly before she goes to bed of an evening. If, like so many of us of a certain age who have to get up during the night for a pee, the towel rails could also be controlled by a thermostat keeping the bathroom at a pleasant temperature overnight.
    Thanks @Oakbank
    Very good tip!
    I'll tell her

• Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    Perhaps I should have added your cousin's friend's sister's aunt could consider electric towel rails on a timer. They could come for an hour or two shortly before the central heating comes on in the morning and similarly before she goes to bed of an evening. If, like so many of us of a certain age who have to get up during the night for a pee, the towel rails could also be controlled by a thermostat keeping the bathroom at a pleasant temperature overnight.
    Thanks @Oakbank
    Very good tip!
    I'll tell her

• 😂😂😂😂😂
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • 😂😂😂😂😂
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN