• Interesting feedback so far. I still haven't had e-mail confirmation either of my April appointment.
  • Interesting feedback so far. I still haven't had e-mail confirmation either of my April appointment.

• FIRST POST INSTALLATION UPDATE
    Quote Originally Posted by troosers View Post
    My smart meter was installed successfully this morning.
    The booking process was straightforward. I was called on 8/3/19 to make an appointment for 19/3/19. The caller was pleasant and clear and asked questions about meter locations, access for the engineer and whether we have a dog. I asked if I would get an email confirmation and was told I would and also that the engineer would call in advance of the appointment to confirm arrival.
    I was called again on 12/3/19 advising that the appointment would need to be changed to 20/3/19 and checking this would be convenient, which it was. Again a very pleasant and clear caller and again I asked and was told I would get a confirmation email.
    I’m still waiting for any email confirmation and the installation’s been done! It’s not a big problem but had I needed to contact the installation company I had no information to go on. The appointment calls were to my mobile and it happens I was out and about on each occasion so was relying on memory to update my calendar later. I note that others have also commented on lack of email confirmation.
    Two installation engineers attended. Both introduced themselves, were pleasant and tidy. After checking the meters to be updated and their locations they got on with the job. The actual installation of the meters took about an hour and we were without power (as expected) during this time. It took another hour or so to establish a data connection and we were kept informed of progress. Once connected the Trio II Energy Monitor was explained to us before the engineers packed up and departed.
    When the engineers left the gas data was showing on the monitor but the electricity data was still waiting to update. We were told this can take up to 24 hours and advised to contact Pure Planet in the first instance if the monitor still shows the electricity as “waiting for data “.
    All in all a straightforward and acceptably quick process with minimal disruption
    I'm only four days in from having a SMET2 meter installed and I'm not sure whether all is well
    On my Trio II device, the "waiting for data" message for electricity disappeared and the display updated after 24 hours or so, just as the installation engineers said it would. However sometime since then the gas display is now showing a "waiting for data" message.
    Going into the Trio II system status, I'm told that it is "connected to the meter network", that Cloud is "not connected" - Status 34, that Wi-Fi is "not connected" - Status 30, that electricity is "Connected to Electricity meter" and that gas is "Gas meter not connected" - Status 29-9.
    In the "Meter balance" section there are balances to date for both gas and electricity and in the "Meters" section there are meter readings for both gas and electricity. However when I go to the actual meters (which admittedly I haven't thought to look at since the installation, the electricity meter shows a reading that matches the reading on the Trio II but the gas meter was completely blank!
    I'm finding the information rather contradictory and confusing. Perhaps the system just needs more time to 'settle down'.
    Just in case there's a problem I've posted a "message the team" query with photos using WattBot
  • FIRST POST INSTALLATION UPDATE
    Quote Originally Posted by troosers View Post
    My smart meter was installed successfully this morning.
    The booking process was straightforward. I was called on 8/3/19 to make an appointment for 19/3/19. The caller was pleasant and clear and asked questions about meter locations, access for the engineer and whether we have a dog. I asked if I would get an email confirmation and was told I would and also that the engineer would call in advance of the appointment to confirm arrival.
    I was called again on 12/3/19 advising that the appointment would need to be changed to 20/3/19 and checking this would be convenient, which it was. Again a very pleasant and clear caller and again I asked and was told I would get a confirmation email.
    I’m still waiting for any email confirmation and the installation’s been done! It’s not a big problem but had I needed to contact the installation company I had no information to go on. The appointment calls were to my mobile and it happens I was out and about on each occasion so was relying on memory to update my calendar later. I note that others have also commented on lack of email confirmation.
    Two installation engineers attended. Both introduced themselves, were pleasant and tidy. After checking the meters to be updated and their locations they got on with the job. The actual installation of the meters took about an hour and we were without power (as expected) during this time. It took another hour or so to establish a data connection and we were kept informed of progress. Once connected the Trio II Energy Monitor was explained to us before the engineers packed up and departed.
    When the engineers left the gas data was showing on the monitor but the electricity data was still waiting to update. We were told this can take up to 24 hours and advised to contact Pure Planet in the first instance if the monitor still shows the electricity as “waiting for data “.
    All in all a straightforward and acceptably quick process with minimal disruption
    I'm only four days in from having a SMET2 meter installed and I'm not sure whether all is well
    On my Trio II device, the "waiting for data" message for electricity disappeared and the display updated after 24 hours or so, just as the installation engineers said it would. However sometime since then the gas display is now showing a "waiting for data" message.
    Going into the Trio II system status, I'm told that it is "connected to the meter network", that Cloud is "not connected" - Status 34, that Wi-Fi is "not connected" - Status 30, that electricity is "Connected to Electricity meter" and that gas is "Gas meter not connected" - Status 29-9.
    In the "Meter balance" section there are balances to date for both gas and electricity and in the "Meters" section there are meter readings for both gas and electricity. However when I go to the actual meters (which admittedly I haven't thought to look at since the installation, the electricity meter shows a reading that matches the reading on the Trio II but the gas meter was completely blank!
    I'm finding the information rather contradictory and confusing. Perhaps the system just needs more time to 'settle down'.
    Just in case there's a problem I've posted a "message the team" query with photos using WattBot

• Quote Originally Posted by Glynnmay View Post
    Hi,
    Worst scenario date for installation of Smart meters for PP customers please (ball park will do). It just seems that this is taking forever to sort out
    Regards
    Hi there
    As this is your first post, welcome to the Pure Planet community! If you post here you are talking to your fellow customers, not directly to Pure Planet.
    But you seem to have posted in a thread that answers your question? Marc from Pure Planet says "Once we’re ready to install smart meters to thousands of our Members’ homes later this year, we’ll be in touch." Or are you looking for something more specific than "later this year"?
    Stephen
    Hi,
    Worst scenario date for installation of Smart meters for PP customers please (ball park will do). It just seems that this is taking forever to sort out
    Regards
    Hi there
    As this is your first post, welcome to the Pure Planet community! If you post here you are talking to your fellow customers, not directly to Pure Planet.
    But you seem to have posted in a thread that answers your question? Marc from Pure Planet says "Once we’re ready to install smart meters to thousands of our Members’ homes later this year, we’ll be in touch." Or are you looking for something more specific than "later this year"?
    Stephen

• Yes more specific would be great. We will be out of the country later in the year for about 6 weeks, so more specific is a must please
  • Yes more specific would be great. We will be out of the country later in the year for about 6 weeks, so more specific is a must please

Yes more specific would be great. We will be out of the country later in the year for about 6 weeks, so more specific is a must please
    I can't see a 6 week window affecting you. The meter installers will get in touch with you to arrange a visit. To be honest it was a 5-6 week lead time for me anyway. Have you registered your interest in the trial in this thread?
    Yes more specific would be great. We will be out of the country later in the year for about 6 weeks, so more specific is a must please
    I can't see a 6 week window affecting you. The meter installers will get in touch with you to arrange a visit. To be honest it was a 5-6 week lead time for me anyway. Have you registered your interest in the trial in this thread?

• Hi Marc,

I would very much like to have Pure Planet smart meters installed as the current meters I have from previous installer are not compatible with Pure Planet.

I am in Peterborough. Would it be possible to indicate when I could have meters fitted please as I struggle to take readings from the existing meters.

Thanks and regards,

Andrew.
  • Hi Marc,

I would very much like to have Pure Planet smart meters installed as the current meters I have from previous installer are not compatible with Pure Planet.

I am in Peterborough. Would it be possible to indicate when I could have meters fitted please as I struggle to take readings from the existing meters.

Thanks and regards,

Andrew.

• Quote Originally Posted by troosers View Post
    FIRST POST INSTALLATION UPDATE

Thanks for the feedback @troosers
    I'm going to have to admit you've lost me a bit here.... But I'm sure our Member services team will be able to get to the bottom of it.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by troosers View Post
    FIRST POST INSTALLATION UPDATE

Thanks for the feedback @troosers
    I'm going to have to admit you've lost me a bit here.... But I'm sure our Member services team will be able to get to the bottom of it.

• Quote Originally Posted by Host 2012 View Post
    Can't believe how slow this testing has been. Communication has been poor. To be still nowhere being near having a smart meter fitted is very disappointing. At this rate it will be 2020 by the time you're ready to roll out.
    Hi @Host 2012
    We're keen to make sure that testing is thorough before the SMETS2 meters are offered to Members.
    There's a number of issues we've found in testing - around hardware, process, software, connectivity - which we've been able to spot and fix, are still fixing, or trying to fix, thanks to our testing.
    Sorry that you're disappointed.
    I'm also keeping Members up to date with regular posts here in the community. And as you can see inviting open and honest feedback from Members who are taking part in the pilot.
    Is there something else we can do that you have in mind?

• Quote Originally Posted by Host 2012 View Post
    Can't believe how slow this testing has been. Communication has been poor. To be still nowhere being near having a smart meter fitted is very disappointing. At this rate it will be 2020 by the time you're ready to roll out.
    Hi @Host 2012
    We're keen to make sure that testing is thorough before the SMETS2 meters are offered to Members.
    There's a number of issues we've found in testing - around hardware, process, software, connectivity - which we've been able to spot and fix, are still fixing, or trying to fix, thanks to our testing.
    Sorry that you're disappointed.
    I'm also keeping Members up to date with regular posts here in the community. And as you can see inviting open and honest feedback from Members who are taking part in the pilot.
    Is there something else we can do that you have in mind?

• Can I be added to the pilot list?

thanks
  • Can I be added to the pilot list?

thanks

• Hi,

I had an appointment booked for the 8th April at the beginning of March and then received a phone call on the 13th March from Magnum Utlities cancelling the appointment. They said some signal issues had been picked up with the meters that the Technical Team were investigating and that once they had a fix they would call again to reschedule the appointments. I’m not sure if this is related to the DCC issue that Marc mentioned earlier in the thread or if it was a software/firmware issue with the units.

I understand issues can be found late in the day and to be fair they left me a voicemail to let me know. It would have been nice to have been left a contact number and reference in case I had any questions. Hopefully they will resolve the issue soon.
  • Hi,

I had an appointment booked for the 8th April at the beginning of March and then received a phone call on the 13th March from Magnum Utlities cancelling the appointment. They said some signal issues had been picked up with the meters that the Technical Team were investigating and that once they had a fix they would call again to reschedule the appointments. I’m not sure if this is related to the DCC issue that Marc mentioned earlier in the thread or if it was a software/firmware issue with the units.

I understand issues can be found late in the day and to be fair they left me a voicemail to let me know. It would have been nice to have been left a contact number and reference in case I had any questions. Hopefully they will resolve the issue soon.

• Got an interesting update for you on my installation.

I got a call from Chris @Magnum at around 7:45am, said he is about 5-10 minutes away and sure enough 2 vans pulled up just before 8am. well, 1 van pulled into the drive, the other was turning around to park further away when I said they can put both in - the reason they didn't initially was in case I wanted to get out at any time - nice consideration by the guys.

Anyway, took them to see the meters and that is when things got interesting. I have solar panels and also a Zappi EV charger, so my electricity meter cabinet is quite full with wires all over the place and it took them a while to figure out what is what.

I had also read some concerns around SMETS2 and solar and so the guys said they would talk to PP to see if there are any issues. At the same time, I was exchanging messages with Marc on the forum here.

Chris kept me updated every 15-20 minutes and first it was we don't think it can be done, then they got a green light and I had received some more info from Marc which meant I felt I was not fully informed myself to give the installation the green light - I need to do some reading up.

In the end, I decided to abort at around 10am. The guys had been at mine for 2 hours and took me thru what they would have done. I think the uncertainty is around how the SMETS2 meter handles when the panels feed back into the grid. On my current meter is states "red" and I don't think anyone is too sure.

Had I just had solar then I may have just gone with it, but as my EV charger is linked to it, and we rely on that every day, I was not prepared to take a chance and will look to jump on the bandwagon once there are a few solar/EV installed under their belts and I have read up more.

This has not gone the way I wanted, but have to say both the guys from Magnum and Marc here were very helpful and all showed great customer care.
  • Got an interesting update for you on my installation.

I got a call from Chris @Magnum at around 7:45am, said he is about 5-10 minutes away and sure enough 2 vans pulled up just before 8am. well, 1 van pulled into the drive, the other was turning around to park further away when I said they can put both in - the reason they didn't initially was in case I wanted to get out at any time - nice consideration by the guys.

Anyway, took them to see the meters and that is when things got interesting. I have solar panels and also a Zappi EV charger, so my electricity meter cabinet is quite full with wires all over the place and it took them a while to figure out what is what.

I had also read some concerns around SMETS2 and solar and so the guys said they would talk to PP to see if there are any issues. At the same time, I was exchanging messages with Marc on the forum here.

Chris kept me updated every 15-20 minutes and first it was we don't think it can be done, then they got a green light and I had received some more info from Marc which meant I felt I was not fully informed myself to give the installation the green light - I need to do some reading up.

In the end, I decided to abort at around 10am. The guys had been at mine for 2 hours and took me thru what they would have done. I think the uncertainty is around how the SMETS2 meter handles when the panels feed back into the grid. On my current meter is states "red" and I don't think anyone is too sure.

Had I just had solar then I may have just gone with it, but as my EV charger is linked to it, and we rely on that every day, I was not prepared to take a chance and will look to jump on the bandwagon once there are a few solar/EV installed under their belts and I have read up more.

This has not gone the way I wanted, but have to say both the guys from Magnum and Marc here were very helpful and all showed great customer care.

• Interesting post re solar panels.
    I was booked in by Magnum to have my SMET2 meter installed at the beginning of April.
    Got a call from them today, asking further questions, one of which was if I had solar.
    I do. They apologised, saying they would not now be coming & cancelled my installation.
    All they said was they would have to liaise with PP and I would be contacted at some point. They couldn’t tell me when or who by.
  • Interesting post re solar panels.
    I was booked in by Magnum to have my SMET2 meter installed at the beginning of April.
    Got a call from them today, asking further questions, one of which was if I had solar.
    I do. They apologised, saying they would not now be coming & cancelled my installation.
    All they said was they would have to liaise with PP and I would be contacted at some point. They couldn’t tell me when or who by.

• Hi @android @sdlee
    Check out this post if you're keen to register an interest in SMETS2

• Hi @android @sdlee
    Check out this post if you're keen to register an interest in SMETS2

• Quote Originally Posted by T5Pilot View Post
    Interesting post re solar panels.
    Thanks for this @T5Pilot
    We're being cautious here, as there's some industry process to be worked out an agreed on what the impact will be on feed-in tariffs.

• Quote Originally Posted by T5Pilot View Post
    Interesting post re solar panels.
    Thanks for this @T5Pilot
    We're being cautious here, as there's some industry process to be worked out an agreed on what the impact will be on feed-in tariffs.

• Quote Originally Posted by VijayB View Post
    I have solar panels and also a Zappi EV charger, so my electricity meter cabinet is quite full with wires all over the place and it took them a while to figure out what is what.

I think the uncertainty is around how the SMETS2 meter handles when the panels feed back into the grid.

Great to hear it was well handled @VijayB
    Yep, there is uncertainty on how feed-in tariffs will be impacted by SMETS2.
    Best in hindsight to wait until we know more

• Quote Originally Posted by VijayB View Post
    I have solar panels and also a Zappi EV charger, so my electricity meter cabinet is quite full with wires all over the place and it took them a while to figure out what is what.

I think the uncertainty is around how the SMETS2 meter handles when the panels feed back into the grid.

Great to hear it was well handled @VijayB
    Yep, there is uncertainty on how feed-in tariffs will be impacted by SMETS2.
    Best in hindsight to wait until we know more

• Hi Marc,

Following initial confusion about smet1 the contact with Magnum was good. Only issue being the same as others in that no email confirmation received.
    I got a text message this morning at 7;45am confirming engineer on way and would be 30mins. He arrived exactly on time and was pleasant and just got on with job.
    No issues so far, all appears connected ok.
  • Hi Marc,

Following initial confusion about smet1 the contact with Magnum was good. Only issue being the same as others in that no email confirmation received.
    I got a text message this morning at 7;45am confirming engineer on way and would be 30mins. He arrived exactly on time and was pleasant and just got on with job.
    No issues so far, all appears connected ok.

• I’d hate that! I need more warning than half an hour 🙀😂😂😂😂😂😂
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • I’d hate that! I need more warning than half an hour 🙀😂😂😂😂😂😂
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN

• Why do we need smart meters installed?

I thought they were just plugged into the wall socket, so why an engineer?
  • Why do we need smart meters installed?

• hi Scrooge

It's the in-home-display which is plugged into a wall socket and that communicates with your ACTUAL electricity meter.
    The in-home-display is not the electricity meter.

The electricity meter is connected to a cable which comes into your house. Electricity is dangerous, the main fuse needs to be removed to change the meter and it has to be safely installed to a regulated standard which is why you need an engineer.

If you don't know where your electricity meter is or where it is that means you may not be able provide reliable meter readings as the in-home-display which you clearly think is the actual meter may not provide reliable readings and should not be used to give readings to PP.
    If you don't know where to find your electricity meter post back and someone will help - you need to know where it is so you can provide readings to PP if you're a PP customer.

The answer to the first question is you don't need a smart meter and it's not mandatory to have one , you can manage perfectly well with a non smart meter but that has to be read by a person.
    The smart meter should eventually automate that (although at the moment you do still have to read your smart meter until the automatic readings work properly) Some people prefer the convenience of (soon) not having to read the meter and to be able to look at the in-home display that comes with the meter which tells you how much energy you're using.
    Post back if you need help...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrooge View Post
    Why do we need smart meters installed?

• hi Scrooge

It's the in-home-display which is plugged into a wall socket and that communicates with your ACTUAL electricity meter.
    The in-home-display is not the electricity meter.

The electricity meter is connected to a cable which comes into your house. Electricity is dangerous, the main fuse needs to be removed to change the meter and it has to be safely installed to a regulated standard which is why you need an engineer.

If you don't know where your electricity meter is or where it is that means you may not be able provide reliable meter readings as the in-home-display which you clearly think is the actual meter may not provide reliable readings and should not be used to give readings to PP.
    If you don't know where to find your electricity meter post back and someone will help - you need to know where it is so you can provide readings to PP if you're a PP customer.

The answer to the first question is you don't need a smart meter and it's not mandatory to have one , you can manage perfectly well with a non smart meter but that has to be read by a person.
    The smart meter should eventually automate that (although at the moment you do still have to read your smart meter until the automatic readings work properly) Some people prefer the convenience of (soon) not having to read the meter and to be able to look at the in-home display that comes with the meter which tells you how much energy you're using.
    Post back if you need help...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrooge View Post
    Why do we need smart meters installed?

• Hi Marc,
    I haven’t heard anything about smart meters up here in Fife.
    Can I expect a date from you or any kind of indication when you start in Scotland?
    Thanks for your help with this.
  • Hi Marc,
    I haven’t heard anything about smart meters up here in Fife.
    Can I expect a date from you or any kind of indication when you start in Scotland?
    Thanks for your help with this.