• Payments

So I’ve recently bought a house and took gas and electric out with pure planet, forecasted was the medium usage band however I’m not even living in the house at the minute, this month I was charged £140 when my forecasted was around the £97 mark within winter months. I should be in credit paying £97 never mind £140. what’s is going on? Chew
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • So I’ve recently bought a house and took gas and electric out with pure planet, forecasted was the medium usage band however I’m not even living in the house at the minute, this month I was charged £140 when my forecasted was around the £97 mark within winter months. I should be in credit paying £97 never mind £140. what’s is going on? Chew
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

hi Connor bone, welcome to the community
    edited- apologies for the original. in retrospect it sounded rude..and..I hadn't realised how far out the estimate was see post below

This is not a Pure Planet Issue, it would have happened to you with almost any provider unless you opted for PAYG - which not a good idea)
    You post answers your question in a way.
    PP will only charge you for what you use.
    When you joined you had to give an estimate of your annual use, and your annual cost is then divided into 60% of that for the winter months and 40% for summer months.(April is when the lower payments start)
    Your opening readings have to be verified by a 3rd party, once that is done and the readings are agreed by both old and new suppliers, your submitted readings will appear on the statement and the balance on the statement will be corrected (you can dispute the opening readings if they are out of accepted tolerance, but let's assume for the moment that won't happen).
    Direct debits are reviewed every 6 months, if your balance skews a lot either way your payment will be adjusted, or if you aren't happy either way you can request a review of your DD (through help in the app type "message the team")
    It's early days yet for you, you have little idea if your annual estimate is on track and you won't know until you've been in the house for a year, but you will be able to keep an eye on your balance - although don't forget the dd paid at the the start of the billing period so it's always going to look as though it's higher than it is.
    You should submit readings when you get the reminder and give it a chance to settle down so you can gauge your usage.
    If you aren't living there yet you'll just build up more credit, but I'd leave it a while after you've moved in and you can look at reducing the DD if you have a large credit.
    It's not a pay on demand situation, your statement balance will fluctuate, however your DD wont be changed when it does unless it goes a long way out of kilter.
    Not sure if I've answered your question?

Quote Originally Posted by Connor bone View Post
    So I’ve recently bought a house and took gas and electric out with pure planet, forecasted was the medium usage band however I’m not even living in the house at the minute, this month I was charged £140 when my forecasted was around the £97 mark within winter months. I should be in credit paying £97 never mind £140. what’s is going on? Chew
    Last edited by woz; 09-03-19 at 19:54.
  • hi Connor bone, welcome to the community
    edited- apologies for the original. in retrospect it sounded rude..and..I hadn't realised how far out the estimate was see post below

This is not a Pure Planet Issue, it would have happened to you with almost any provider unless you opted for PAYG - which not a good idea)
    You post answers your question in a way.
    PP will only charge you for what you use.
    When you joined you had to give an estimate of your annual use, and your annual cost is then divided into 60% of that for the winter months and 40% for summer months.(April is when the lower payments start)
    Your opening readings have to be verified by a 3rd party, once that is done and the readings are agreed by both old and new suppliers, your submitted readings will appear on the statement and the balance on the statement will be corrected (you can dispute the opening readings if they are out of accepted tolerance, but let's assume for the moment that won't happen).
    Direct debits are reviewed every 6 months, if your balance skews a lot either way your payment will be adjusted, or if you aren't happy either way you can request a review of your DD (through help in the app type "message the team")
    It's early days yet for you, you have little idea if your annual estimate is on track and you won't know until you've been in the house for a year, but you will be able to keep an eye on your balance - although don't forget the dd paid at the the start of the billing period so it's always going to look as though it's higher than it is.
    You should submit readings when you get the reminder and give it a chance to settle down so you can gauge your usage.
    If you aren't living there yet you'll just build up more credit, but I'd leave it a while after you've moved in and you can look at reducing the DD if you have a large credit.
    It's not a pay on demand situation, your statement balance will fluctuate, however your DD wont be changed when it does unless it goes a long way out of kilter.
    Not sure if I've answered your question?

• Best Answer

Hi Connor,

Welcome to the community and you will get lots of advice from many knowledgeable members like yourself supported by PP's community manager.

You would have a welcome pack explaining the DD arrangements as we all pay in advance for cost price clean energy with no mark up, so account starts day 1 in credit and in theory a months credit is normal, but it's not a perfect science for lots of reasons.
    As you know From April your DD will reduce and it should also be noted that PP carry out DD reviews and adjustments twice a year to make sure we are on track.

You can send in regular readings via the APP.
    Best time is when you are prompted by PP for accuracy.
    It will pan out.

If your credit continues to increase message the team via the APP.
    Re wattBott..first type "message the Team"
    Hope this assists
  • Hi Connor,

Welcome to the community and you will get lots of advice from many knowledgeable members like yourself supported by PP's community manager.

You would have a welcome pack explaining the DD arrangements as we all pay in advance for cost price clean energy with no mark up, so account starts day 1 in credit and in theory a months credit is normal, but it's not a perfect science for lots of reasons.
    As you know From April your DD will reduce and it should also be noted that PP carry out DD reviews and adjustments twice a year to make sure we are on track.

It will pan out.

Hope this assists

• I’ll just keep submitting my meter readings and just see how it goes. the last owner was with pp so I’m assuming you’re just going off last years usage as a forecast, obviously it’s going to be a lot higher than what mine will be. Gas from the 21st of December was showing 4183 and now it’s on 4264 and electric was on 63552 and now it’s on 64054. Just scary when it’s showing -228 pound on my pp statement when I’m hardly using anything, I’ll just let it sort itself out. Thanks for the reply though... new to all this..
  • I’ll just keep submitting my meter readings and just see how it goes. the last owner was with pp so I’m assuming you’re just going off last years usage as a forecast, obviously it’s going to be a lot higher than what mine will be. Gas from the 21st of December was showing 4183 and now it’s on 4264 and electric was on 63552 and now it’s on 64054. Just scary when it’s showing -228 pound on my pp statement when I’m hardly using anything, I’ll just let it sort itself out. Thanks for the reply though... new to all this..

• haha...I think I used too many words, your answer is better...
    Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Hi Connor,

It will pan out.

Hope this assists
  • haha...I think I used too many words, your answer is better...
    Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Hi Connor,

It will pan out.

Hope this assists

• Ha ha Woz..thanks Man

Not a perfect science...covers the grey bits you fully explain.
    Last edited by Strutt G; 09-03-19 at 18:57.
  • Ha ha Woz..thanks Man

Not a perfect science...covers the grey bits you fully explain.

• hi Connor
    I hadn't realised quite how far out it was, have a look at the readings used on the statement, that does sound a very long way out if you've been charged for £212 ish worth when you've only used about £80 worth.
    Keep a note of the readings from when you moved in and take photos of the meter just in case you need to dispute the opening readings later on - I would hope that the previous owner will have submitted closing readings, helpful that it was with PP, and presumably apart from background heating and security lights etc there should be very little use.
    My guess in this case is that the estimate used is as though the original owner was still in.
    Hopefully it will come right, but after you've looked at the readings and compared them with actual (they must be way ahead) it certainly won't do any harm at this point to send a message through help, ask wattbot type "message the team" and give the info you have, and keep a note of the message you've sent.
    It sounds like PP's systems haven't looked at their own data, but that's probably because they can't accept readings unless they have been through verification, even their own I guess?
    I’ll just keep submitting my meter readings and just see how it goes. the last owner was with pp so I’m assuming you’re just going off last years usage as a forecast, obviously it’s going to be a lot higher than what mine will be. Gas from the 21st of December was showing 4183 and now it’s on 4264 and electric was on 63552 and now it’s on 64054. Just scary when it’s showing -228 pound on my pp statement when I’m hardly using anything, I’ll just let it sort itself out. Thanks for the reply though... new to all this..
  • hi Connor
    I hadn't realised quite how far out it was, have a look at the readings used on the statement, that does sound a very long way out if you've been charged for £212 ish worth when you've only used about £80 worth.
    Keep a note of the readings from when you moved in and take photos of the meter just in case you need to dispute the opening readings later on - I would hope that the previous owner will have submitted closing readings, helpful that it was with PP, and presumably apart from background heating and security lights etc there should be very little use.
    My guess in this case is that the estimate used is as though the original owner was still in.
    Hopefully it will come right, but after you've looked at the readings and compared them with actual (they must be way ahead) it certainly won't do any harm at this point to send a message through help, ask wattbot type "message the team" and give the info you have, and keep a note of the message you've sent.
    It sounds like PP's systems haven't looked at their own data, but that's probably because they can't accept readings unless they have been through verification, even their own I guess?
    I’ll just keep submitting my meter readings and just see how it goes. the last owner was with pp so I’m assuming you’re just going off last years usage as a forecast, obviously it’s going to be a lot higher than what mine will be. Gas from the 21st of December was showing 4183 and now it’s on 4264 and electric was on 63552 and now it’s on 64054. Just scary when it’s showing -228 pound on my pp statement when I’m hardly using anything, I’ll just let it sort itself out. Thanks for the reply though... new to all this..

• Can I keep my DD payment of £96 all year round, as my winter usage is coming in over this?? I’d like to stay in credit, or there abouts. Thanks.
  • Can I keep my DD payment of £96 all year round, as my winter usage is coming in over this?? I’d like to stay in credit, or there abouts. Thanks.

• hi Skill
    you simply can't have the same payment winter summer because of the way PP work, but the way round your problem is to increase your DD slightly if your payments are on the edge of keeping you in credit.
    At the moment your annual estimate is £960 which is £96 winter and £64 summer
    If you paid £96 all year that would be £1152, quite a hike from where you are now.
    I'd suggest £102 and £68 which would be £1020 annual and see how it goes, or if you think that's not enough (and I think it is based on what you pay now unless your annual is very wrong) ) then £108 winter and £72 summer which would give you £1080 annual.
    either are nice round figures.
    You can request an increase through help in the app, ask wattbot, type "message the team" and ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skill View Post
    Can I keep my DD payment of £96 all year round, as my winter usage is coming in over this?? I’d like to stay in credit, or there abouts. Thanks.
  • hi Skill
    you simply can't have the same payment winter summer because of the way PP work, but the way round your problem is to increase your DD slightly if your payments are on the edge of keeping you in credit.
    If you paid £96 all year that would be £1152, quite a hike from where you are now.
    I'd suggest £102 and £68 which would be £1020 annual and see how it goes, or if you think that's not enough (and I think it is based on what you pay now unless your annual is very wrong) ) then £108 winter and £72 summer which would give you £1080 annual.
    You can request an increase through help in the app, ask wattbot, type "message the team" and ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skill View Post
    Can I keep my DD payment of £96 all year round, as my winter usage is coming in over this?? I’d like to stay in credit, or there abouts. Thanks.

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi Skill
    Thanks for your reply. That sounds good. I just don’t want to get behind, and start owning too much.
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi Skill
    Thanks for your reply. That sounds good. I just don’t want to get behind, and start owning too much.