• Direct Debit changed

I've just noticed that my D/D payment schedule has increased by 1 penny per month (or a total of 12p for the year) This can't be the result of a payment/usage review as the change seems to be too small to be significant enough to warrant a change. Anyone else's D/D changed ?? This is not a result of the latest change in membership fees or rate increase. Confused slightly !!
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • I've just noticed that my D/D payment schedule has increased by 1 penny per month (or a total of 12p for the year) This can't be the result of a payment/usage review as the change seems to be too small to be significant enough to warrant a change. Anyone else's D/D changed ?? This is not a result of the latest change in membership fees or rate increase. Confused slightly !!
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hi Marc,
    Thanks to you and your team for looking into this for me.
    I joined PP on 30th Oct 18 which is 1 month into the "winter rate" for D/D payments.....so I have paid 5 of the higher winter payments and not the full 6. Also by PP's policy of reviewing the D/D payments every 6 months, my review should happen on 30th April. Or is the policy to review the payments at the end of each Summer/Winter period.......I can understand if that's actually the case.
    Currently my account is showing a significant credit balance, which would lead me to expect a likely reduction in my payments and not an increase (albeit only by 1p) (as I have said previously the amount of this rise is not the point).
    Hi @Gray4276
    No criticism taken, I know it's fair and honest feedback.
    I don't think I explained the situtation clearly enough in my earlier reply.
    This isn't anything to do with a review of your DD.
    It's a technical bug affecting the way that your DD payments are displayed in your app, triggered by the twice-yearly switch (from colder to warmer months, or warmer to colder months).
    Your actual DD will move from colder to summer payments as outlined in your quote and welcome back.
    The bug is how it is displayed in the app - 1p higher or lower than the actual DD.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hi Marc,
    I joined PP on 30th Oct 18 which is 1 month into the "winter rate" for D/D payments.....so I have paid 5 of the higher winter payments and not the full 6. Also by PP's policy of reviewing the D/D payments every 6 months, my review should happen on 30th April. Or is the policy to review the payments at the end of each Summer/Winter period.......I can understand if that's actually the case.
    Currently my account is showing a significant credit balance, which would lead me to expect a likely reduction in my payments and not an increase (albeit only by 1p) (as I have said previously the amount of this rise is not the point).
    Hi @Gray4276
    It's a technical bug affecting the way that your DD payments are displayed in your app, triggered by the twice-yearly switch (from colder to warmer months, or warmer to colder months).
    Your actual DD will move from colder to summer payments as outlined in your quote and welcome back.
    The bug is how it is displayed in the app - 1p higher or lower than the actual DD.

• Hi @Gray4276
    I've not come across that before.
    Where are you seeing this change - in your app or in your statement?

• Hi @Gray4276
    I've not come across that before.
    Where are you seeing this change - in your app or in your statement?

• Hi Marc,
    I noticed the change in the app... don't think it would appear in the monthly statement....at least I don't think so. It's only a 1p per month change....but it is a change nevertheless. Please explain.
    Gray4276
  • Hi Marc,
    I noticed the change in the app... don't think it would appear in the monthly statement....at least I don't think so. It's only a 1p per month change....but it is a change nevertheless. Please explain.
    Gray4276

• Thanks for that @Gray4276
    Our tech team are investigating this. I will update you when I get some more info!

• Thanks for that @Gray4276
    Our tech team are investigating this. I will update you when I get some more info!

• Ok Marc....thanks
  • Ok Marc....thanks

• Hi @Gray4276
    An update for you. Initial investigations from our tech team show that you're right, the amount has changed. It looks like it's rounded up to the next penny.
    This issue with your account has been escalated for further investigation.
    As soon as I get more info I will get back to you!

• Hi @Gray4276
    An update for you. Initial investigations from our tech team show that you're right, the amount has changed. It looks like it's rounded up to the next penny.
    This issue with your account has been escalated for further investigation.
    As soon as I get more info I will get back to you!

• Hi Marc..... it's not the amount of change made, it's the fact that a change was made at all which is concerning me. I am very fastidious with my account information....but maybe not everyone else is. I don't know if this will help, but it appears to have changed as we got to the point for the "lower" summer payments....it might be a "glitch" when gathering the"new" payment details....just a thought.
    Gray4276
    Last edited by Gray4276; 07-03-19 at 12:58. Reason: Spelling
  • Hi Marc..... it's not the amount of change made, it's the fact that a change was made at all which is concerning me. I am very fastidious with my account information....but maybe not everyone else is. I don't know if this will help, but it appears to have changed as we got to the point for the "lower" summer payments....it might be a "glitch" when gathering the"new" payment details....just a thought.
    Gray4276

• Hi Marc,
    Any more info about this ??
    Gray4276
  • Hi Marc,
    Any more info about this ??
    Gray4276

• Hi @Gray4276
    Not yet. Our tech team are still investigating. I'll keep you in the loop as soon as I get more info

• Hi @Gray4276
    Not yet. Our tech team are still investigating. I'll keep you in the loop as soon as I get more info

• Hi again @Gray4276
    Thanks for being patient with this!

We've found the issue.
    Firstly, the most important thing is that your actual DD payments won't increase by 1p a month. The app is showing an increase of 1p, but the actual amount being taken won't.

What's happening is that the way that our billing software presents info to the app means that if your DD payments have multiples of pence, when when we adjust as we approach the warmer or colder periods, they may round up by 1p or round down by 1p.

DDs are recalculated as we approach a warmer or colder period. If your 'base' DD amount (before the adjustment for either the warmer or colder months is applied) has some multiple of pence, it will round up or down. And your app fetches your next DD payment info and displays it to you. This is why you spotted it a month in advance.

If we were to leave this as it is, you'd see your DD payment drop by 1p in six months. We'll make sure this is fixed before then

I hope that explains it! I have to admit our tech team had to explain it to me several times.....

• Hi again @Gray4276
    Thanks for being patient with this!

We've found the issue.
    Firstly, the most important thing is that your actual DD payments won't increase by 1p a month. The app is showing an increase of 1p, but the actual amount being taken won't.

What's happening is that the way that our billing software presents info to the app means that if your DD payments have multiples of pence, when when we adjust as we approach the warmer or colder periods, they may round up by 1p or round down by 1p.

DDs are recalculated as we approach a warmer or colder period. If your 'base' DD amount (before the adjustment for either the warmer or colder months is applied) has some multiple of pence, it will round up or down. And your app fetches your next DD payment info and displays it to you. This is why you spotted it a month in advance.

If we were to leave this as it is, you'd see your DD payment drop by 1p in six months. We'll make sure this is fixed before then

I hope that explains it! I have to admit our tech team had to explain it to me several times.....

• Hi Marc,
    Can you clarify when my account should be reassessed, so that I can fully understand, for my own future reference.
    Just as a point of observation, possibly your level of assessing customers monthly D/D payments is too "in depth" and producing payments of (for example) £95.01 As the usage of customers is variable from week to week let alone annually, surely a payment schedule of (for example) £90.00 Summer and £120.00 Winter is a much more practical level of payment......after all, every customer will either be in credit or debit at the end of their 12 month period. This differential will be "amended" following the 6 month review. I always find that simpler is usually better.
    Please don't take these comments as a criticism of PP.....far from it.....I love what you guys are doing !!
    Gray4276
  • Hi Marc,
    Can you clarify when my account should be reassessed, so that I can fully understand, for my own future reference.
    Just as a point of observation, possibly your level of assessing customers monthly D/D payments is too "in depth" and producing payments of (for example) £95.01 As the usage of customers is variable from week to week let alone annually, surely a payment schedule of (for example) £90.00 Summer and £120.00 Winter is a much more practical level of payment......after all, every customer will either be in credit or debit at the end of their 12 month period. This differential will be "amended" following the 6 month review. I always find that simpler is usually better.
    Please don't take these comments as a criticism of PP.....far from it.....I love what you guys are doing !!
    Gray4276

• I think I can address this one although it's only a guess and I don't think it's too in depth, although I like nice rounded figures too.(I'm talking about money not body shapes...)

The level of direct debit depends on two things, your expected use over the next 12 months, and the amount of credit or debit in your account.
    The former can only really be assessed accurately after 12 months have passed, for obvious reasons, but at the 6 month point, roughly speaking, if the usage level is assumed to be as it was when you started, that leaves whatever excess credit or debit is left after subtracting an average payment once it's made (annual divided by 12 is my guess).

So for example if you were paying £120 a month in winter, your annual would be £1200

You've just made a payment up front and your statement balance is now, say, £220 in credit.

Subtract one average payment of £100 (winter 120, summer £80), leaving an excess of £120 for the coming 12 months.

So if you were to leave the account in credit by 120, but you could ask for a refund, with no refund that would give you 6 credits of £12 winter and 6 of £8 summer =£120 thus your DD would reduce by £12 in winter to £108 and £8 in summer to £72.
    At the 12 month renewal if the annual had changed you'd effectively start again, only taking a refund if it was a significant amount.

I could of course be completely wrong, like I said it's only a guess...
    Hi Marc,
  • I think I can address this one although it's only a guess and I don't think it's too in depth, although I like nice rounded figures too.(I'm talking about money not body shapes...)

The level of direct debit depends on two things, your expected use over the next 12 months, and the amount of credit or debit in your account.
    The former can only really be assessed accurately after 12 months have passed, for obvious reasons, but at the 6 month point, roughly speaking, if the usage level is assumed to be as it was when you started, that leaves whatever excess credit or debit is left after subtracting an average payment once it's made (annual divided by 12 is my guess).

So for example if you were paying £120 a month in winter, your annual would be £1200

You've just made a payment up front and your statement balance is now, say, £220 in credit.

Subtract one average payment of £100 (winter 120, summer £80), leaving an excess of £120 for the coming 12 months.

So if you were to leave the account in credit by 120, but you could ask for a refund, with no refund that would give you 6 credits of £12 winter and 6 of £8 summer =£120 thus your DD would reduce by £12 in winter to £108 and £8 in summer to £72.
    At the 12 month renewal if the annual had changed you'd effectively start again, only taking a refund if it was a significant amount.

I could of course be completely wrong, like I said it's only a guess...
    Hi Marc,

• Hi Woz,

Just in case you think I was complaining about the Direct Debit assessment.....or that I wanted a refund. I wasn't and I don't.

I was purely pointing out that for some (seemingly arbitrary) reason....my app (balance and payments) showed that both my Summer and Winter Direct Debit payments had "changed" by £0.01. As I have not yet been a member for 6 months, I would not expect that a "payment review" has been carried out. And even if a review had been done, I wouldn't imagine that an increase of £0.01 would be applied to an account. What would be the point £0.12p over the year !!!!
    I believe that this is some sort of glitch that has crept in when the PP software has switched to the 6 warmer months prediction. I will see which Direct Debit payment is taken on 1st April.....I suspect the "new" payment will be taken.

I'm really not concerned about the amount of the change, as I will only pay for what I actually use. I just wanted to point out that the details contained within my app had changed, and so I flagged it up in case there is a potential software issue.

I'm only trying to help/assist PP to identify a possible issue. Am I the only one that this has happened to ??
    Last edited by Gray4276; 16-03-19 at 17:36. Reason: Syntax
    Gray4276
  • Hi Woz,

Just in case you think I was complaining about the Direct Debit assessment.....or that I wanted a refund. I wasn't and I don't.

I was purely pointing out that for some (seemingly arbitrary) reason....my app (balance and payments) showed that both my Summer and Winter Direct Debit payments had "changed" by £0.01. As I have not yet been a member for 6 months, I would not expect that a "payment review" has been carried out. And even if a review had been done, I wouldn't imagine that an increase of £0.01 would be applied to an account. What would be the point £0.12p over the year !!!!
    I believe that this is some sort of glitch that has crept in when the PP software has switched to the 6 warmer months prediction. I will see which Direct Debit payment is taken on 1st April.....I suspect the "new" payment will be taken.

I'm really not concerned about the amount of the change, as I will only pay for what I actually use. I just wanted to point out that the details contained within my app had changed, and so I flagged it up in case there is a potential software issue.

I'm only trying to help/assist PP to identify a possible issue. Am I the only one that this has happened to ??
    Gray4276

• hi gray
    no I didn’t and I didn’t was just speculating..
    I’m absolutely sure that the 1p is the result of a rounding-up or perhaps in some cases down error. Surprised as i’d expect the app to take direct data from the account but perhaps it has 3 decimal places..
  • hi gray
    no I didn’t and I didn’t was just speculating..
    I’m absolutely sure that the 1p is the result of a rounding-up or perhaps in some cases down error. Surprised as i’d expect the app to take direct data from the account but perhaps it has 3 decimal places..

• Hi Woz,
    Yeah I'm sure it's something like that. I really don't think it's anything devious by PP. I'm sure the tech guys will sort it, if there is a glitch.
    No worries
    Last edited by Gray4276; 17-03-19 at 17:33. Reason: Spelling
    Gray4276
  • Hi Woz,
    Yeah I'm sure it's something like that. I really don't think it's anything devious by PP. I'm sure the tech guys will sort it, if there is a glitch.
    No worries
    Gray4276

• Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @Gray4276
    Hi Marc,
    With regards to my original postings on this and with special regard to your comments..... I must sadly state that my latest DD payment was the increased payment and not my "correct" DD payment.
    So, if as you stated that it was only a "bug", then how come the DD has actually changed.
    I know it's only a 1p increase....but there is a mistake that I would like to see rectified to enable me to have confidence in PP's software systems.
    Gray4276
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @Gray4276
    Hi Marc,
    With regards to my original postings on this and with special regard to your comments..... I must sadly state that my latest DD payment was the increased payment and not my "correct" DD payment.
    So, if as you stated that it was only a "bug", then how come the DD has actually changed.
    I know it's only a 1p increase....but there is a mistake that I would like to see rectified to enable me to have confidence in PP's software systems.
    Gray4276

• Direct debits have increased by 1p!

Has anyone else noticed their direct debits have increased by 1p in the past month (both winter and summer amounts)?

I know 1p is trivial but - aside from not being notified and therefore it being in contravention of the Direct Debit Guarantee - it's annoying when I transfer an exact amount to my bills account only for it to be wrong. Luckily I noticed before the last bill of the month came out otherwise I would have faced a charge from my bank for going overdrawn by 1p!
  • Has anyone else noticed their direct debits have increased by 1p in the past month (both winter and summer amounts)?

I know 1p is trivial but - aside from not being notified and therefore it being in contravention of the Direct Debit Guarantee - it's annoying when I transfer an exact amount to my bills account only for it to be wrong. Luckily I noticed before the last bill of the month came out otherwise I would have faced a charge from my bank for going overdrawn by 1p!

• Haven't noticed, will check
  • Haven't noticed, will check

• Hi Robbo P,

This has happened to me also......I have raised it in the Community and have also "Messaged the ream" via WattBot in the help section. Marc and the team are currently investigating this "glitch/issue" and have promised to answer me with the results. I'm actually glad to find out that I'm not the only one who is affected. I'm sure that even more people are affected but just haven't realised that this has happened.
    If people check the "Balance and Payments section in their App and then compare against their earlier payments, then the change will be noticed.
    I agree with you that it's not the amount of increase......it's the fact that there "is" an increase.
    Can other customers please add your comments into this thread ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo P View Post
    Has anyone else noticed their direct debits have increased by 1p in the past month (both winter and summer amounts)?

Gray4276
  • Hi Robbo P,

This has happened to me also......I have raised it in the Community and have also "Messaged the ream" via WattBot in the help section. Marc and the team are currently investigating this "glitch/issue" and have promised to answer me with the results. I'm actually glad to find out that I'm not the only one who is affected. I'm sure that even more people are affected but just haven't realised that this has happened.
    If people check the "Balance and Payments section in their App and then compare against their earlier payments, then the change will be noticed.
    I agree with you that it's not the amount of increase......it's the fact that there "is" an increase.
    Can other customers please add your comments into this thread ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo P View Post

Gray4276