• Quote Originally Posted by Robbo P View Post
    Has anyone else noticed their direct debits have increased by 1p in the past month (both winter and summer amounts)?

I know 1p is trivial but - aside from not being notified and therefore it being in contravention of the Direct Debit Guarantee - it's annoying when I transfer an exact amount to my bills account only for it to be wrong. Luckily I noticed before the last bill of the month came out otherwise I would have faced a charge from my bank for going overdrawn by 1p!

Hi @Robbo P
    Yep, this has been flagged.
    I've moved your post to this existing thread.
    It's a bug which was spotted last month by @Gray4276
    You can see my reply earlier in this thread but basically:

The app is showing an increase of 1p, but the actual amount being taken won't increase by 1p.
    What's happening is that the way that our billing software presents info to the app means that if your DD payments have multiples of pence, when when we adjust as we approach the warmer or colder periods, they may round up by 1p or round down by 1p.
    DDs are recalculated as we approach a warmer or colder period. If your '' DD amount (before the adjustment for either the warmer or colder months is applied) has some multiple of pence, it will round up or down. And your app fetches your next DD payment info and displays it to you.
    If we were to leave this as it is, you'd see your DD payment drop by 1p in six months. We'll make sure this is fixed before then
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

Has anyone else noticed their direct debits have increased by 1p in the past month (both winter and summer amounts)?

I know 1p is trivial but - aside from not being notified and therefore it being in contravention of the Direct Debit Guarantee - it's annoying when I transfer an exact amount to my bills account only for it to be wrong. Luckily I noticed before the last bill of the month came out otherwise I would have faced a charge from my bank for going overdrawn by 1p!

Hi @Robbo P

The app is showing an increase of 1p, but the actual amount being taken won't increase by 1p.
    What's happening is that the way that our billing software presents info to the app means that if your DD payments have multiples of pence, when when we adjust as we approach the warmer or colder periods, they may round up by 1p or round down by 1p.
    DDs are recalculated as we approach a warmer or colder period. If your '' DD amount (before the adjustment for either the warmer or colder months is applied) has some multiple of pence, it will round up or down. And your app fetches your next DD payment info and displays it to you.
    If we were to leave this as it is, you'd see your DD payment drop by 1p in six months. We'll make sure this is fixed before then

• Hi Marc,
    I don't know if you've missed one of my replies but......the actual increased amount of DD was taken out of my account......so unfortunately the glitch is not confined to simply a misrepresentation of the DD amount, it has actually "changed" the DD.....Hope this helps a bit more ✔️
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @Robbo P

Last edited by Gray4276; 04-04-19 at 14:18. Reason: Spelling
    Gray4276
  • Hi Marc,
    I don't know if you've missed one of my replies but......the actual increased amount of DD was taken out of my account......so unfortunately the glitch is not confined to simply a misrepresentation of the DD amount, it has actually "changed" the DD.....Hope this helps a bit more ✔️
    Hi @Robbo P

Gray4276

• Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Your actual DD will move from colder to summer payments as outlined in your quote and welcome back.
    The bug is how it is displayed in the app - 1p higher or lower than the actual DD.
    I beg to differ with this assertion.

From my quote:

£78.05 / £117.08

From my Welcome Pack:

£78.06 / £117.08

In App before April '19:

£78.05 / £117.08

In App since April '19

£78.06 / £117.09

Actual DD payments:

4 Feb '19 - £117.08
    4 March '19 - £117.08
    4 April '19 - £78.06

Which ones are right?
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Your actual DD will move from colder to summer payments as outlined in your quote and welcome back.
    The bug is how it is displayed in the app - 1p higher or lower than the actual DD.
    I beg to differ with this assertion.

From my quote:

£78.05 / £117.08

From my Welcome Pack:

£78.06 / £117.08

In App before April '19:

£78.05 / £117.08

In App since April '19

£78.06 / £117.09

Actual DD payments:

4 Feb '19 - £117.08
    4 March '19 - £117.08
    4 April '19 - £78.06

Which ones are right?

• Hi @Gray4276 @Robbo P
    Oh, that's news to me. When we checked this out the other day it was believed that the 1p difference was being shown in the app but wasn't affecting actual DD payments.
    Sorry about that. I'm going to take this back to our Member services team to investigate

• Hi @Gray4276 @Robbo P
    Oh, that's news to me. When we checked this out the other day it was believed that the 1p difference was being shown in the app but wasn't affecting actual DD payments.
    Sorry about that. I'm going to take this back to our Member services team to investigate

• Oooooooh yes, just checked mine ya bugger and been paying 1p over each month! Hadn’t even noticed til checked “Balance and payment” How bizarre 🙀🙀🙀!
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Oooooooh yes, just checked mine ya bugger and been paying 1p over each month! Hadn’t even noticed til checked “Balance and payment” How bizarre 🙀🙀🙀!

WALT WHITMAN

• Not one to miss out but my actual payment is a penny lower than what the app payment says it will be.
    Think we need to call in scooby doo and the mystery machine.
  • Not one to miss out but my actual payment is a penny lower than what the app payment says it will be.
    Think we need to call in scooby doo and the mystery machine.

• 😂😂😂😂😂Trust you to be different! It did make me larf tho Jonny! 🙃🤣🙃🤣🙃

WALT WHITMAN
  • 😂😂😂😂😂Trust you to be different! It did make me larf tho Jonny! 🙃🤣🙃🤣🙃

WALT WHITMAN

• Its on the way.Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  165.8 KB
  • Its on the way.Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  165.8 KB

• I just read the above posts
    ​My understanding was that the actual DD was unaffected and it's just the app rounding up the figure when it shouldn't be doing that, in other words it's a displaying issue rather than a real issue.
    Clearly that is not the case...oh dear...
    Also mine is unaffected and that's almost certainly because I deliberately set my payments to be an exact round amount so no pence are involved.
    Last edited by woz; 04-04-19 at 22:56.
  • I just read the above posts
    ​My understanding was that the actual DD was unaffected and it's just the app rounding up the figure when it shouldn't be doing that, in other words it's a displaying issue rather than a real issue.
    Clearly that is not the case...oh dear...
    Also mine is unaffected and that's almost certainly because I deliberately set my payments to be an exact round amount so no pence are involved.

• hmmm, this is now a concern because it means whoever told you gave you the wrong information...
    I think cardboard down the back of their trousers is called for here...
    Hi again @Gray4276
    Thanks for being patient with this!

We've found the issue.
    Firstly, the most important thing is that your actual DD payments won't increase by 1p a month. The app is showing an increase of 1p, but the actual amount being taken won't.

DDs are recalculated as we approach a warmer or colder period. If your 'base' DD amount (before the adjustment for either the warmer or colder months is applied) has some multiple of pence, it will round up or down. And your app fetches your next DD payment info and displays it to you. This is why you spotted it a month in advance.

I hope that explains it! I have to admit our tech team had to explain it to me several times.....
  • hmmm, this is now a concern because it means whoever told you gave you the wrong information...
    I think cardboard down the back of their trousers is called for here...
    Hi again @Gray4276
    Thanks for being patient with this!

We've found the issue.
    Firstly, the most important thing is that your actual DD payments won't increase by 1p a month. The app is showing an increase of 1p, but the actual amount being taken won't.

DDs are recalculated as we approach a warmer or colder period. If your 'base' DD amount (before the adjustment for either the warmer or colder months is applied) has some multiple of pence, it will round up or down. And your app fetches your next DD payment info and displays it to you. This is why you spotted it a month in advance.

I hope that explains it! I have to admit our tech team had to explain it to me several times.....

• Here is a possible solution:
    Make all annual quotes and amounts for each fuel round up or down to the nearest whole number which is divisible by 1.5

totally random examples

Gas £800 nearest whole number divisible by 1.5 =£801
    Electric £645.20 nearest number divisible by 1.5 = £645
    Annual 645+801 =£1446 (was £1445.20)
    Winter £144.60 (was £144.52)
    Summer £96.40 (was £96.35)

Gas £700 nearest whole number divisible by 1.5 =£700.50
    Electric £300 nearest number divisible by 1.5 = £300
    Annual 700.50+300 =£1000.50 (was £1000)
    Winter £100.05 (was £100.00)
    Summer £66.70 (was £66.6666)

Gas £695 nearest whole number divisible by 1.5 =£694.50
    Electric £295 nearest number divisible by 1.5 = £295.50
    Annual 694.50+295.50 =£990 (was £990)
    Winter £99 (was £99.00)
    Summer £66 (was £66.00)

Gas £351.80 nearest whole number divisible by 1.5 = £352.50
    Electric £264.87 nearest number divisible by 1.5 = £265.50
    Annual £352.50+£265.50 =£618 (was £616.67)
    Winter £61.80 (was £61.67)
    Summer £41.20 (was £41.11...)

no rounding up or down on the DD and the impact is virtually non-existent on average
    Problem solved....
    Firing squad at the ready?
  • Here is a possible solution:
    Make all annual quotes and amounts for each fuel round up or down to the nearest whole number which is divisible by 1.5

totally random examples

Winter £99 (was £99.00)
    Summer £66 (was £66.00)

no rounding up or down on the DD and the impact is virtually non-existent on average
    Problem solved....

• Hi all
    Sorry for any confusion caused by my earlier reply that this was a bug in the app and wasn't affecting actual DD payments.
    Obviously it is affecting some Members' payments.
    The cause that our billing software is rounding amounts up or down.
    We need to investigate this further and fix it.
    For now if a Member spots this and flags it with us, we will be adjust your DD payments down by 1p.
    As we carry out DD reviews every six months anyway, we can also issue refunds and/or adjust DDs where the energy usage has been lower than what's been paid for.

Sorry again for this confusion, and thanks for flagging it here in the community.
    @woz I've passed on your suggestion about making annual amounts divisible by 1.5

• Hi all
    Sorry for any confusion caused by my earlier reply that this was a bug in the app and wasn't affecting actual DD payments.
    For now if a Member spots this and flags it with us, we will be adjust your DD payments down by 1p.
    As we carry out DD reviews every six months anyway, we can also issue refunds and/or adjust DDs where the energy usage has been lower than what's been paid for.

Sorry again for this confusion, and thanks for flagging it here in the community.
    @woz I've passed on your suggestion about making annual amounts divisible by 1.5

• Wow Woz.....you certainly have the ability to "think outside the box"......once again I'm very impressed 👍

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Here is a possible solution:

totally random examples

Winter £99 (was £99.00)
    Summer £66 (was £66.00)

Problem solved....
    - - - Updated - - -

Hi Marc........something has happened !!
    I've just checked "Balance and Payments" and my DD payment schedule has " corrected" back to my original payment details. Has one of the team sorted this element of the glitch/problem. I assume that the link to the next DD payment will now also be correct.....will have to wait until 1st May to be sure I suppose. Can you please confirm if this has been sorted to your expectations ??

Hi all

Gray4276
  • Wow Woz.....you certainly have the ability to "think outside the box"......once again I'm very impressed 👍

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Here is a possible solution:

totally random examples

Winter £99 (was £99.00)
    Summer £66 (was £66.00)

Problem solved....
    - - - Updated - - -

I've just checked "Balance and Payments" and my DD payment schedule has " corrected" back to my original payment details. Has one of the team sorted this element of the glitch/problem. I assume that the link to the next DD payment will now also be correct.....will have to wait until 1st May to be sure I suppose. Can you please confirm if this has been sorted to your expectations ??

Hi all

Gray4276

• Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hi @Gray4276
    Yes, one our Member services team has changed it back.
    Not quite sorted yet, as this has had to be done manually. The 'system' rounded it up, a human being put it right. Bring it on!

• Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hi @Gray4276
    Yes, one our Member services team has changed it back.
    Not quite sorted yet, as this has had to be done manually. The 'system' rounded it up, a human being put it right. Bring it on!

• That's definitely fixed my Summer payments. They're back to £78.05.

The odd thing is the Winter payments are now £117.07. That's now 1p lower than originally

This is by no means a criticism. Your swift manual intervention is a breath of fresh air. Just needs a little more tweaking. You've got 5 months. Go!
  • That's definitely fixed my Summer payments. They're back to £78.05.

The odd thing is the Winter payments are now £117.07. That's now 1p lower than originally

This is by no means a criticism. Your swift manual intervention is a breath of fresh air. Just needs a little more tweaking. You've got 5 months. Go!

• Ha Ha Brilliant Robbo P your post made me chuckle.. if everything was penny perfect there'd be no fun
  • Ha Ha Brilliant Robbo P your post made me chuckle.. if everything was penny perfect there'd be no fun

• Hi Marc and the team,

I can't help think that it would be much simpler for everybody if the "Annual usage" figure is adjusted to ensure that the DD payments are a full £ payment ie
    Summer £75.00 Winter £115.00 and not £ 75.06 and £115.71
    Even following the 6mth review the DD payment "should be maintained as a full £ payment" ie only increased or decreased by a full £ or multiple of a full pound ie increased or decreased by £5.00 and not £5.05 (for example). Simplification like this will help to clarify members payment schedule, and will naturally remove any form of "rounding" errors.......just a thought......K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) to quote an acronym.
    Gray4276
  • Hi Marc and the team,

I can't help think that it would be much simpler for everybody if the "Annual usage" figure is adjusted to ensure that the DD payments are a full £ payment ie
    Summer £75.00 Winter £115.00 and not £ 75.06 and £115.71
    Even following the 6mth review the DD payment "should be maintained as a full £ payment" ie only increased or decreased by a full £ or multiple of a full pound ie increased or decreased by £5.00 and not £5.05 (for example). Simplification like this will help to clarify members payment schedule, and will naturally remove any form of "rounding" errors.......just a thought......K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) to quote an acronym.
    Gray4276

That's definitely fixed my Summer payments. They're back to £78.05.

Thanks for that positive feedback @Robbo P
    It means a lot!

That's definitely fixed my Summer payments. They're back to £78.05.

Thanks for that positive feedback @Robbo P
    It means a lot!