• EV Charging capacity in the area?

Just bought an E-Golf and very happy. When arranging the charging point installation though, the installer had to notify the electrical service provider to check that there was sufficient local capacity. Are we heading for situations that is 'first come, first served' and if the local supply capacity hits a limit, then later consumers will be unable to install fast charge (typically7kW) charge points?
  • Just bought an E-Golf and very happy. When arranging the charging point installation though, the installer had to notify the electrical service provider to check that there was sufficient local capacity. Are we heading for situations that is 'first come, first served' and if the local supply capacity hits a limit, then later consumers will be unable to install fast charge (typically7kW) charge points?
  • Hello SteveEWS.

well i cant say ive heard that before.
    Yes its true that if the vast majority of the population take up EV ownership then the network will need upgrading but that is something they have already started to do in some areas.
    some people have had to get their supply upgraded as the DNO fuse capacity was too low to their supply. Maybe thats what he meant. And also have an isolation switch installed.
    i dont think it will ever get to a 1st come situation especially as supermarkets, petrol forecourts are starting to roll out installs of charge points. Myself i believe we will get to a point where a home charger point wont be needed.
  • Hello SteveEWS.

well i cant say ive heard that before.
    Yes its true that if the vast majority of the population take up EV ownership then the network will need upgrading but that is something they have already started to do in some areas.
    some people have had to get their supply upgraded as the DNO fuse capacity was too low to their supply. Maybe thats what he meant. And also have an isolation switch installed.
    i dont think it will ever get to a 1st come situation especially as supermarkets, petrol forecourts are starting to roll out installs of charge points. Myself i believe we will get to a point where a home charger point wont be needed.