• Home charging fire risk

Have run our BMW i3 BEV (heat pump version) mostly charging from 7kW home charge point since January 2018.

Was part of the Western Electricity #electricnation trial to see how ev charging affects the UK grid.

The charge point worked OK apart from an annoying habit of clearing charge screen information when car unlocked (EV on board guessometers don't tell you how many kWh you actually use to top up the battery just amount extracted from pack).

Just made it home on wet and windy Wednesday (about 10% more consumption cf warm dry days). 6.5% SOC and 3 miles range remaining. Plugged into charge point and locked car. Something smelled wrong - far worse than any old diesel - burning plastic!

The side of the casing was turning brown /black.

The front diagnostics on the unit all fine!

Quickly unlocked car, released cable rushed into house (thankfully others at home so no need to disarm the alarm), found the junction box and killed the power supply.

Now, if this had happened whilst asleep over night?

Reminds me of a recent Kona fire that took out a garage.

Back to the 3 kW OUC which is very slow and no preconditioning so less range.

Unlikely to get new unit for best part of a week.

Never worried about diesel car spontaneous combustion. Hope house insurers don't up premiums for EV owners....
  • Have run our BMW i3 BEV (heat pump version) mostly charging from 7kW home charge point since January 2018.

Was part of the Western Electricity #electricnation trial to see how ev charging affects the UK grid.

The charge point worked OK apart from an annoying habit of clearing charge screen information when car unlocked (EV on board guessometers don't tell you how many kWh you actually use to top up the battery just amount extracted from pack).

Just made it home on wet and windy Wednesday (about 10% more consumption cf warm dry days). 6.5% SOC and 3 miles range remaining. Plugged into charge point and locked car. Something smelled wrong - far worse than any old diesel - burning plastic!

Quickly unlocked car, released cable rushed into house (thankfully others at home so no need to disarm the alarm), found the junction box and killed the power supply.

Never worried about diesel car spontaneous combustion. Hope house insurers don't up premiums for EV owners....
  • Quote Originally Posted by ekranoplan View Post

Destroyed the car when it was only supposed to blow the bl***y doors off. ๐Ÿ˜

On a serious note the question would be is why the plastic caught fire?
    Had the plastics heat resistance broken down or was there a component failure that cause over heating?
    Has charging in an enclosed space made it worse?

Will be interesting to hear the results.

Like your name a very eco friendly machine.

X Driver
  • Quote Originally Posted by ekranoplan View Post

Destroyed the car when it was only supposed to blow the bl***y doors off. ๐Ÿ˜

On a serious note the question would be is why the plastic caught fire?
    Had the plastics heat resistance broken down or was there a component failure that cause over heating?
    Has charging in an enclosed space made it worse?

Will be interesting to hear the results.

Like your name a very eco friendly machine.

X Driver
  • hi ekranoplan

I'd make contact with your local fire brigade before it's removed and seek advice. Sh*t happens and it may be one in a million or maybe caused by a loose cable (not tightened properly inside the unit - the most common cause of heat) but what if there's a chance of others catching fire? It really should be investigated. Take photos.

Quote Originally Posted by ekranoplan View Post
    Have run our BMW i3 BEV (heat pump version) mostly charging from 7kW home charge point since January 2018.

• hi ekranoplan

I'd make contact with your local fire brigade before it's removed and seek advice. Sh*t happens and it may be one in a million or maybe caused by a loose cable (not tightened properly inside the unit - the most common cause of heat) but what if there's a chance of others catching fire? It really should be investigated. Take photos.

Quote Originally Posted by ekranoplan View Post