• Direct debit

I would rather have the same direct debit all year round
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • I would rather have the same direct debit all year round
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hi, unfortunately PP's policy is that you pay more in the winter months , so you don't have a massive debit/credit through the year.
  • Hi, unfortunately PP's policy is that you pay more in the winter months , so you don't have a massive debit/credit through the year.

• Best Answer

Hi Lonely
    The difference isn't as large as many perceive it to be.
    If your annual was £1500 for example
    £125 = Same Payment every month
    £150 = PP Winter
    £100 = PP Summer
    So you'd pay £25 more in winter months £25 less in Summer months.
    The difference isn't £50 it's £25
    Does that help?
    I know it's obvious, it's not meant to be patronising..
    and think how happy you'll be when your payments reduce in April!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely View Post
  • Hi Lonely
    The difference isn't as large as many perceive it to be.
    If your annual was £1500 for example
    £125 = Same Payment every month
    £150 = PP Winter
    £100 = PP Summer
    So you'd pay £25 more in winter months £25 less in Summer months.
    The difference isn't £50 it's £25
    Does that help?
    I know it's obvious, it's not meant to be patronising..
    and think how happy you'll be when your payments reduce in April!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely View Post

• I think on reflection that PP's policy is reasonable.
    You pay 60% during the colder 6 months and 40% for the 6 warmer months.
    But no doubt that many members prefer equal month DD's.
    I envisage that once you have been a member approx 12 months the DD adjustment becomes softer which makes PP's policy more apparent.
    I guess PP would prefer that so that cash flow is fully understood and effectively managed...where many suppliers have failed.
  • I think on reflection that PP's policy is reasonable.
    You pay 60% during the colder 6 months and 40% for the 6 warmer months.
    But no doubt that many members prefer equal month DD's.
    I envisage that once you have been a member approx 12 months the DD adjustment becomes softer which makes PP's policy more apparent.
    I guess PP would prefer that so that cash flow is fully understood and effectively managed...where many suppliers have failed.

• Most people run a surplus to the energy companies favour and seem happy with that....but why?!? It is our money not theirs. It should be in our bank accounts not theirs.

So why not get a little creative?

During the summer months when your bills are lower, sweep the difference between the winter/summer DDs into the highest interest rate account you can find (with easy access). During the winter months, move that money back to your current account again, either monthly as required or at the beginning of the change to the winter DD.
  • Most people run a surplus to the energy companies favour and seem happy with that....but why?!? It is our money not theirs. It should be in our bank accounts not theirs.

During the summer months when your bills are lower, sweep the difference between the winter/summer DDs into the highest interest rate account you can find (with easy access). During the winter months, move that money back to your current account again, either monthly as required or at the beginning of the change to the winter DD.

• hi Jenam93

I agree with what you say but unfortunately not everyone has the wherewithal to be creative.
    I've said it before, the "problem" is not the way PP do this, it's a budgetary 'limited resource' problem and demographically an 'older person' problem. Those who are on limited incomes or have limited resources and some older people who are used to doing things in a certain way don't like this system.
    It doesn't seem to occur to them that they could have equal payments by going elsewhere but it would cost them more overall.
    I agree that your suggestion is good but by the way it only applies if you start your contract in the warmer months.
    I guess you'll see a speight of complaints next October despite the payments having been lower over the previous 6 months
    I wonder what would happen if PP were to say we'll have to apply a 1 or 2% surcharge for equal payments because it costs us more if we take less in winter? (oh and by the way if we do that overall we get to keep your money for longer...)
    It wouldn't go down well..oh and I'm not putting it forward as a suggestion..
    The answer is it (40/60) should be the default, and if anyone truly has difficulties because of it, they should talk to PP individually and make some sort of personal arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenam93 View Post
    Most people run a surplus to the energy companies favour and seem happy with that....but why?!? It is our money not theirs. It should be in our bank accounts not theirs.

• hi Jenam93

I agree with what you say but unfortunately not everyone has the wherewithal to be creative.
    I've said it before, the "problem" is not the way PP do this, it's a budgetary 'limited resource' problem and demographically an 'older person' problem. Those who are on limited incomes or have limited resources and some older people who are used to doing things in a certain way don't like this system.
    It doesn't seem to occur to them that they could have equal payments by going elsewhere but it would cost them more overall.
    I agree that your suggestion is good but by the way it only applies if you start your contract in the warmer months.
    I guess you'll see a speight of complaints next October despite the payments having been lower over the previous 6 months
    I wonder what would happen if PP were to say we'll have to apply a 1 or 2% surcharge for equal payments because it costs us more if we take less in winter? (oh and by the way if we do that overall we get to keep your money for longer...)
    It wouldn't go down well..oh and I'm not putting it forward as a suggestion..
    The answer is it (40/60) should be the default, and if anyone truly has difficulties because of it, they should talk to PP individually and make some sort of personal arrangement.

Most people run a surplus to the energy companies favour and seem happy with that....but why?!? It is our money not theirs. It should be in our bank accounts not theirs.

• Can't deny what you say @woz.

Having only just switched to PP, do they give advance notice that Winter is coming (i.e. the direct debit is changing next month/next week)?
  • Can't deny what you say @woz.

Having only just switched to PP, do they give advance notice that Winter is coming (i.e. the direct debit is changing next month/next week)?

• good point jenam93, I can't remember (short memory...) but if they don't then that's a great suggestion.
    It will have to be handled carefully because I can see an issue...the usual panic of people not reading things properly when they get an email in the last week of September saying don't forget as part of our colder/warmer payment system your Direct debit is going to increase for statements from October to March.
    I have another idea, put it on the front page of the app from the 2nd week in March for a month and 2nd week in September (until notifications are sorted)
    Can't deny what you say @woz.

Last edited by woz; 12-02-19 at 21:54.
  • good point jenam93, I can't remember (short memory...) but if they don't then that's a great suggestion.
    It will have to be handled carefully because I can see an issue...the usual panic of people not reading things properly when they get an email in the last week of September saying don't forget as part of our colder/warmer payment system your Direct debit is going to increase for statements from October to March.
    I have another idea, put it on the front page of the app from the 2nd week in March for a month and 2nd week in September (until notifications are sorted)
    Can't deny what you say @woz.

• It is advised clearly in the welcome email within the attached PDF welcome pack letter.
    This still gives you the option by a few days to cease your switch.
    Last edited by Strutt G; 12-02-19 at 19:53.
  • It is advised clearly in the welcome email within the attached PDF welcome pack letter.

• Hi Strutt G
    True, thanks for the reminder, but we were discussing whether it would be useful to remind existing customers that the dd amount was about to change..

not really looking to poke potential new customers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    It is advised clearly in the welcome email within the attached PDF welcome pack letter.
  • Hi Strutt G
    True, thanks for the reminder, but we were discussing whether it would be useful to remind existing customers that the dd amount was about to change..

not really looking to poke potential new customers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    It is advised clearly in the welcome email within the attached PDF welcome pack letter.

• A OK Woz
  • A OK Woz