Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  • Electric vehicles

I wouldn’t have an ev purely and simply because of where I live in West Yorkshire, I’m on the Pennines and our village is located on some serious hills and I don’t think an ev would cope.
  • I wouldn’t have an ev purely and simply because of where I live in West Yorkshire, I’m on the Pennines and our village is located on some serious hills and I don’t think an ev would cope.
  • Hi @Troopy

Not sure what your question is but I think we're a fair few years of us all having to get EVs. I wouldn't mind one for the supposed environmental benefits (although the electric has got to be generated somehow) but until they can give me a range of 400 miles without charging I don't think it would work for me (I sometimes have to drive fairly far for work and back again in the same day)
  • Hi @Troopy

Not sure what your question is but I think we're a fair few years of us all having to get EVs. I wouldn't mind one for the supposed environmental benefits (although the electric has got to be generated somehow) but until they can give me a range of 400 miles without charging I don't think it would work for me (I sometimes have to drive fairly far for work and back again in the same day)
  • @Troopy, I live in West Yorkshire too and we take our EV all over the dales and pennines without issue. In fact, EVs have more power available and instant torque from standstill which you don't get in a piston car. You can get the full power of the motor regardless of your road speed, so uphill is not a problem. It has an impact on range, for sure, but you also get the benefit of regeneration of electricity and charging the battery whilst going back down again.

@MrSmart, There are already 300 mile range EVs available, Hyundai Kona, Kia eNiro, soon to be released new Kia Soul EV etc. But nobody does, or should, drive 400 miles without a break. I don't think my bladder can manage more than 150-200 miles. A half hour / 1 hours break every two or three on the road is sensible anyway and you can recharge whilst you have a coffee and something to eat..
  • @Troopy, I live in West Yorkshire too and we take our EV all over the dales and pennines without issue. In fact, EVs have more power available and instant torque from standstill which you don't get in a piston car. You can get the full power of the motor regardless of your road speed, so uphill is not a problem. It has an impact on range, for sure, but you also get the benefit of regeneration of electricity and charging the battery whilst going back down again.

@MrSmart, There are already 300 mile range EVs available, Hyundai Kona, Kia eNiro, soon to be released new Kia Soul EV etc. But nobody does, or should, drive 400 miles without a break. I don't think my bladder can manage more than 150-200 miles. A half hour / 1 hours break every two or three on the road is sensible anyway and you can recharge whilst you have a coffee and something to eat..
  • Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post

Thanks Spike, very interesting.
    My thoughts were that it would take a while to recharge but are you saying you can get some good juice back into the EV in just 15-20 mins break at a service station?

I still think there are big things around the corner for EVs but at the moment they're still kind of in that 'fad' stage and unless they come down in price or are promoted more, easier to charge anywhere etc then it might still put people off (including myself)
  • Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post

My thoughts were that it would take a while to recharge but are you saying you can get some good juice back into the EV in just 15-20 mins break at a service station?

I still think there are big things around the corner for EVs but at the moment they're still kind of in that 'fad' stage and unless they come down in price or are promoted more, easier to charge anywhere etc then it might still put people off (including myself)
  • Quote Originally Posted by MrSmart View Post

The newly announced Tesla superchargers can put something daft like 75 miles on in 5 minutes and they reckon it will add a maximum 1000 miles range in an hour.

This means many of their cars can fully recharge in about 15 minutes!
  • Quote Originally Posted by MrSmart View Post

The newly announced Tesla superchargers can put something daft like 75 miles on in 5 minutes and they reckon it will add a maximum 1000 miles range in an hour.

This means many of their cars can fully recharge in about 15 minutes!
  • the two issues IMO are range and price. Range will improve IMO but I think we haven't made huge leaps in battery technology for a long time. Certainly nothing game changing. Price I'm sure will improve as production ramps up - and a 2nd hand market gets going.

I'm sure both ICE cars and electric cars drive around the Netherlands or somewhere to get their range/mpg. Driving in Sheffied around these hills is a different ball game
  • the two issues IMO are range and price. Range will improve IMO but I think we haven't made huge leaps in battery technology for a long time. Certainly nothing game changing. Price I'm sure will improve as production ramps up - and a 2nd hand market gets going.

I'm sure both ICE cars and electric cars drive around the Netherlands or somewhere to get their range/mpg. Driving in Sheffied around these hills is a different ball game