Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

• I was 2 days late submitting my meter reading, how can I override the estimated one?

Hi there,

I'm new to Pure Planet and still getting used to having no one to call for customer services... feeling a bit helpless and frustrated with the app right now :'-{

As I missed the date for submitting my reading the very first time I was asked, I submitted two days late - which was accepted and the reading stored, but it does not seem to have been used for the usage figures shown for that month. The estimated reading was wildly out as the previous owners of my home used so much more electricity than I do (even the following month I have not yet caught up with it!). This is giving a misleading picture on my usage statistics.

Can anyone advise how this can be rectified?

Also what is the conversion rate from leccie meter reading to kWh? It would really useful to have this displayed in the app.

Many thanks!

Danni
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Hi there,

I'm new to Pure Planet and still getting used to having no one to call for customer services... feeling a bit helpless and frustrated with the app right now :'-{

As I missed the date for submitting my reading the very first time I was asked, I submitted two days late - which was accepted and the reading stored, but it does not seem to have been used for the usage figures shown for that month. The estimated reading was wildly out as the previous owners of my home used so much more electricity than I do (even the following month I have not yet caught up with it!). This is giving a misleading picture on my usage statistics.

Also what is the conversion rate from leccie meter reading to kWh? It would really useful to have this displayed in the app.

Many thanks!

Danni
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Quote Originally Posted by puddleshark View Post
    Hi there,

Many thanks!

Danni
    Hi Danni
    I'm afraid I can't help with overriding the estimate, you're best asking Wattbot in the app "message the team" and see if they can reconcile the bill.

As for conversion on an electricity meter there is none - the display on the meter is already in kWh for elec. Gas however is converted from m3 (unless you have an old imperial meter) to kWh.
  • Quote Originally Posted by puddleshark View Post
    Hi there,

Many thanks!

Danni
    Hi Danni
    I'm afraid I can't help with overriding the estimate, you're best asking Wattbot in the app "message the team" and see if they can reconcile the bill.

As for conversion on an electricity meter there is none - the display on the meter is already in kWh for elec. Gas however is converted from m3 (unless you have an old imperial meter) to kWh.

• Best Answer

To add to MrSmart's reply, the conversion formula for gas usage is shown on your bill (p. 2, second column):

Your energy usage is calculated from your gas consumption using a standard industry formula:
    Units Consumed (Cubic Metres)
    x Volume Correction (for temperature & pressure)
    x Calorific Value (energy in each m³ of gas)
    ÷ 3.6 (convert from joules)
    = Usage (in kWh)

= For example:
    175 x 1.02264 x 39.2 ÷ 3.6 = 1948.7

(the numbers in the example come from your actual usage)
    Units consumed (cubic metres) is shown in the left column on your bill
    Volume correction is the constant 1.02264, never changes
    Calorific value might vary from month to month, with the figure in the calculation being the one used for the current month
  • To add to MrSmart's reply, the conversion formula for gas usage is shown on your bill (p. 2, second column):

Your energy usage is calculated from your gas consumption using a standard industry formula:
    Units Consumed (Cubic Metres)
    x Volume Correction (for temperature & pressure)
    x Calorific Value (energy in each m³ of gas)
    ÷ 3.6 (convert from joules)
    = Usage (in kWh)

= For example:
    175 x 1.02264 x 39.2 ÷ 3.6 = 1948.7

(the numbers in the example come from your actual usage)
    Units consumed (cubic metres) is shown in the left column on your bill
    Volume correction is the constant 1.02264, never changes
    Calorific value might vary from month to month, with the figure in the calculation being the one used for the current month

• Just to add to the advice already given..it should assist if you send more frequent readings via the app..say weekly so that if you ever miss the PP prompt...the pattern of the current usage will be estimated by more current reads..
  • Just to add to the advice already given..it should assist if you send more frequent readings via the app..say weekly so that if you ever miss the PP prompt...the pattern of the current usage will be estimated by more current reads..

• Best Answer

hi puddleshark
    first of all don't worry about the higher estimated reading being used on the statement, as you've already sent lower readings in this will correct itself on the next statement, and your DD won't be affected, just the statement balance will be less than it should be but that will correct itself.
    I appreciate that the 'paperwork' won't be reconciled until the next statement, but it's not really worth the hassle of asking for a reconciled bill because you'll get one next month anyway (and tbh I'm not even sure if you could get one in these circumstances).
    Your usage will correct itself once the new readings are statemented, it really isn't worth worrying.
    You only need to send readings once a month but you can submit more often if you like.
    The best time to send readings in is a day or 2 after you get the email, that way the statement will be most accurate.

I'm a bit confused about why you would think the electricity figures would need any conversion, they are or should already be in kWh, directly from your meter, however your gas reading (if you have gas) is probably in cubic metres (some old ones are in cu feet), and you can get a rough conversion by going HERE if you need it (it will be accurate enough but depends on the calorific value which varies so it isn't exact)
    The app shows the gas (and electric) usage in kWh already.
  • hi puddleshark
    first of all don't worry about the higher estimated reading being used on the statement, as you've already sent lower readings in this will correct itself on the next statement, and your DD won't be affected, just the statement balance will be less than it should be but that will correct itself.
    I appreciate that the 'paperwork' won't be reconciled until the next statement, but it's not really worth the hassle of asking for a reconciled bill because you'll get one next month anyway (and tbh I'm not even sure if you could get one in these circumstances).
    Your usage will correct itself once the new readings are statemented, it really isn't worth worrying.
    You only need to send readings once a month but you can submit more often if you like.
    The best time to send readings in is a day or 2 after you get the email, that way the statement will be most accurate.

I'm a bit confused about why you would think the electricity figures would need any conversion, they are or should already be in kWh, directly from your meter, however your gas reading (if you have gas) is probably in cubic metres (some old ones are in cu feet), and you can get a rough conversion by going HERE if you need it (it will be accurate enough but depends on the calorific value which varies so it isn't exact)
    The app shows the gas (and electric) usage in kWh already.

• Many thanks for the replies, very helpful!

I was hoping to be able to see an ongoing record of my monthly usage figures, to see whether I'm using less or more etc, and I was worried that this would distort this, if the reading isn't replaced by a correct one, especially as it is so significantly out.

If as 'woz' says, the more correct if slightly late reading will replace the estimated one in those past months stats, then all is well!

Thank you also for clarifying about the units - I had just got mixed up about which ones need converting, I knew only one of the two needed converting, but forgot which.

Warm wishes,

Danni

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Woz,

Can I also ask - how often does the direct debit amount get adjusted if it proves to be far out, and can you ask for it to be adjusted if it seems too much?

And when does the difference . any over or under payment get settled, is that just once a year or more frequently?

Many thanks!

Danni
  • Many thanks for the replies, very helpful!

I was hoping to be able to see an ongoing record of my monthly usage figures, to see whether I'm using less or more etc, and I was worried that this would distort this, if the reading isn't replaced by a correct one, especially as it is so significantly out.

If as 'woz' says, the more correct if slightly late reading will replace the estimated one in those past months stats, then all is well!

Thank you also for clarifying about the units - I had just got mixed up about which ones need converting, I knew only one of the two needed converting, but forgot which.

Warm wishes,

Danni

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Woz,

Can I also ask - how often does the direct debit amount get adjusted if it proves to be far out, and can you ask for it to be adjusted if it seems too much?

And when does the difference . any over or under payment get settled, is that just once a year or more frequently?

Many thanks!

Danni

• hi puddleshark
    Accounts are generally reviewed every 6 months, and certainly at the one year mark.
    The balance has to be a fair way out for PP to change the DD, because it fluctuates naturally. As a rule of thumb you should be around one average month payment in credit as it's paid at the beginning of the period (this depends on whether you've changed the DD date)
    If you think your payments are off track you can request a review at any time by going to help in the app, ask wattbot, type "message the team" and ask, or if you have a suggested new DD amount you can ask if that's OK too.
    My advice is to not worry unless your balance goes way out of line either way.
    Chances are your annual estimate is reasonably close.
    Quote Originally Posted by puddleshark View Post
    Many thanks for the replies, very helpful!

Warm wishes,

Danni

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Woz,

Many thanks!

Danni
  • hi puddleshark
    Accounts are generally reviewed every 6 months, and certainly at the one year mark.
    The balance has to be a fair way out for PP to change the DD, because it fluctuates naturally. As a rule of thumb you should be around one average month payment in credit as it's paid at the beginning of the period (this depends on whether you've changed the DD date)
    If you think your payments are off track you can request a review at any time by going to help in the app, ask wattbot, type "message the team" and ask, or if you have a suggested new DD amount you can ask if that's OK too.
    My advice is to not worry unless your balance goes way out of line either way.
    Chances are your annual estimate is reasonably close.
    Quote Originally Posted by puddleshark View Post
    Many thanks for the replies, very helpful!

Warm wishes,

Danni

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Woz,

Many thanks!

Danni