Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

• Solar panels

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help me understand solar panels?

I have moved into a property that have them but I don’t see the benefit of them?

Is there a way of using the energy that they have generated directly into my home? At the moment we are selling it off to a company who pay us around 250 a year but our energy usage it £250 a month (it is winter)

Also, do they use electric to power or not?

Thanks in advance
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Hi,

I have moved into a property that have them but I don’t see the benefit of them?

Is there a way of using the energy that they have generated directly into my home? At the moment we are selling it off to a company who pay us around 250 a year but our energy usage it £250 a month (it is winter)

Thanks in advance
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Georgiina33 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks in advance
    Hello there and welcome!
    I'm not a massive expert in solar panels and it depends on how they were installed. Generally what happens is they are wired into the mains to trickle the supply back into the grid and the Feed in Tariff supplier will pay you a standard estimate amount of what they think will have been exported back.

That being said, anything exported back to the grid should be after the energy has been used in the property so if you're paying quite high electricity and not seeing the benefit I would question if theyve been installed correctly.

The third option is that theyve been wired into the meter on the export side and you're actually getting paid for the full amount that is exported. That would require you to have an import/export meter and the export being read by said company. I don't believe many home FITs are set up that way so it's probably the former.

Do you have any display or anything for the solar panels to show you what it's generating? You could then investigate against your bill whether you're actually getting anything for it.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Georgiina33 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks in advance
    Hello there and welcome!
    I'm not a massive expert in solar panels and it depends on how they were installed. Generally what happens is they are wired into the mains to trickle the supply back into the grid and the Feed in Tariff supplier will pay you a standard estimate amount of what they think will have been exported back.

That being said, anything exported back to the grid should be after the energy has been used in the property so if you're paying quite high electricity and not seeing the benefit I would question if theyve been installed correctly.

The third option is that theyve been wired into the meter on the export side and you're actually getting paid for the full amount that is exported. That would require you to have an import/export meter and the export being read by said company. I don't believe many home FITs are set up that way so it's probably the former.

Do you have any display or anything for the solar panels to show you what it's generating? You could then investigate against your bill whether you're actually getting anything for it.

• Hi!
    Thanks so much for your reply!

There is a separate meter for the solar panel.. so I will do some investigating with the information you have given me! Thanks so much once again!
  • Hi!
    Thanks so much for your reply!

There is a separate meter for the solar panel.. so I will do some investigating with the information you have given me! Thanks so much once again!

• Hi Georgina
    You might find THIS forum of use if you need detailed advice - ther is a Solar section. (other forums exist)
    Hi,

Thanks in advance
  • Hi Georgina
    You might find THIS forum of use if you need detailed advice - ther is a Solar section. (other forums exist)
    Hi,

Thanks in advance