• Meter readings on bill not correct

Received my first bill and noticed the readings aren't right! I sent an opening reading, however my bill is showing an opening estimate? Also sent my first reading in on 9th Jan, however an estimate has been used on my bill? Can anyone clarify this?

I'm on econ. 7 meter. My initial opening readings sent were 25664 (day) and 8250 (night), however PP have used 25947.8 (day) and 8352.5 (night). Obviously different to what I sent them! The reading I sent them isn't on the bill.

I also sent them a reading on 9th Jan - 26439 (day) 8488 (night), however on my bill there's an estimate reading of 26468.1 (day) and 8496.9 (night). It's got the reading I sent in, however it also has an estimate?

Sorry if this is confusing!! My first ever electricity bill and I'm very confused!! Getting a bill for £92.12 for one person was a bit of a shock!!!
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Received my first bill and noticed the readings aren't right! I sent an opening reading, however my bill is showing an opening estimate? Also sent my first reading in on 9th Jan, however an estimate has been used on my bill? Can anyone clarify this?

I'm on econ. 7 meter. My initial opening readings sent were 25664 (day) and 8250 (night), however PP have used 25947.8 (day) and 8352.5 (night). Obviously different to what I sent them! The reading I sent them isn't on the bill.

I also sent them a reading on 9th Jan - 26439 (day) 8488 (night), however on my bill there's an estimate reading of 26468.1 (day) and 8496.9 (night). It's got the reading I sent in, however it also has an estimate?

Sorry if this is confusing!! My first ever electricity bill and I'm very confused!! Getting a bill for £92.12 for one person was a bit of a shock!!!
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hello matt.
    Ok here goes hope this makes sence.
    The opening readings you give are sent to the regulators who for some reason that nobody knows change them slightly. The reading the regulators give back to PP are the ones they have to use. The important thing is that your old suppljer uses the same readings on your final bill. The variance is with in allowed tollerance so sadly and somewhat annoyingly they cannot be changed.they show as estimates until all partys agree them.
    Opening readings being changed happens a lot and with all suppliers,but being as PP show the readings so readily in the app its easier to notice.

Your second point. To make statements as accurate as poss.
    The reading sent on 9th is used and then an estimated reading is generated onthe 12th to take your usage upto the billing date. If you send your reading in on the 11th or early on 12th then this estimated reading would not get generated.either way it wont make any differance to your DD payments and evens out on the next statement.
  • Hello matt.
    Ok here goes hope this makes sence.
    The opening readings you give are sent to the regulators who for some reason that nobody knows change them slightly. The reading the regulators give back to PP are the ones they have to use. The important thing is that your old suppljer uses the same readings on your final bill. The variance is with in allowed tollerance so sadly and somewhat annoyingly they cannot be changed.they show as estimates until all partys agree them.
    Opening readings being changed happens a lot and with all suppliers,but being as PP show the readings so readily in the app its easier to notice.

Your second point. To make statements as accurate as poss.
    The reading sent on 9th is used and then an estimated reading is generated onthe 12th to take your usage upto the billing date. If you send your reading in on the 11th or early on 12th then this estimated reading would not get generated.either way it wont make any differance to your DD payments and evens out on the next statement.

• hi matt
    Just to add that you won't pay for the same energy twice, whatever units you pay PP for are units you won't pay the previous provider for (or vice versa).
    If there is a small difference from what you think it should be, as long as both the outgoing and incoming company use the same readings the price difference will only be the no. of units times the difference in unit price between the two suppliers.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattTyler95 View Post
    Received my first bill and noticed the readings aren't right! I sent an opening reading, however my bill is showing an opening estimate? Also sent my first reading in on 9th Jan, however an estimate has been used on my bill? Can anyone clarify this?

• hi matt
    Just to add that you won't pay for the same energy twice, whatever units you pay PP for are units you won't pay the previous provider for (or vice versa).
    If there is a small difference from what you think it should be, as long as both the outgoing and incoming company use the same readings the price difference will only be the no. of units times the difference in unit price between the two suppliers.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattTyler95 View Post

• Thanks! Kinda makes sense 😂
  • Thanks! Kinda makes sense 😂