• Direct Debit review to keep energy usage and payments on track

Hi everyone

We’re carrying out a Direct Debit review and I wanted to tell you a bit more about it here in the Pure Planet Community.

Our warmer / cooler payment schedule has been designed to prevent Members building up debit or credit. We take a little less in summer (April to September) and a little more in winter (October to March) to match seasonal energy usage.

You can view this info at any time in your Pure Planet app - go to Menu > Balance & payments.

We regularly review Member’s accounts to make sure that payments and usage are on track.

There’s a few reasons why someone might be paying too much or too little, or have built up too much credit or debit:

- They may have over or under estimated their usage (commonly caused by selecting high, medium or low usage when getting a quote rather than entering actual usage).

- Circumstances may have changed, for example getting an EV changer installed, or someone moving in or out of a property

- A price change up or down may mean monthly Direct Debits no longer cover energy usage

- Unseasonably cold or mild weather

Members who are on track

Pure Planet Members who are on track - which means their DD payments already match their energy use - have received emails from us to confirm no action needs to be taken, and we’ll review their accounts again in about six months.

It's normal for there to be a little bit of debit or credit on your account. As we take payments in advance we would expect your account to always be about one month’s payment in credit.

Members who have built up debit or credit

We’ll contact Members who have built up either debit or credit and explain what happens next.

If we haven't received a meter reading from you recently we'll ask you for one of these so we have an accurate record of your usage.

If you’re paying too much / built up too much credit then we’ll refund you and then adjust your payments down to stop you building up credit.

If you’re paying too little / built up a debit then we’ll arrange to take a one-off payment or put in place a debt repayment plan, and then adjust your payments up to stop you building up credit.

We’ll always contact you before we make any changes.

FAQ: How to change my Direct Debit details in the app
    Last edited by Marc; 07-01-19 at 16:17.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet
  • Hi everyone

We’re carrying out a Direct Debit review and I wanted to tell you a bit more about it here in the Pure Planet Community.

Our warmer / cooler payment schedule has been designed to prevent Members building up debit or credit. We take a little less in summer (April to September) and a little more in winter (October to March) to match seasonal energy usage.

You can view this info at any time in your Pure Planet app - go to Menu > Balance & payments.

We regularly review Member’s accounts to make sure that payments and usage are on track.

There’s a few reasons why someone might be paying too much or too little, or have built up too much credit or debit:

- They may have over or under estimated their usage (commonly caused by selecting high, medium or low usage when getting a quote rather than entering actual usage).

- Circumstances may have changed, for example getting an EV changer installed, or someone moving in or out of a property

- A price change up or down may mean monthly Direct Debits no longer cover energy usage

- Unseasonably cold or mild weather

Members who are on track

Pure Planet Members who are on track - which means their DD payments already match their energy use - have received emails from us to confirm no action needs to be taken, and we’ll review their accounts again in about six months.

It's normal for there to be a little bit of debit or credit on your account. As we take payments in advance we would expect your account to always be about one month’s payment in credit.

Members who have built up debit or credit

We’ll contact Members who have built up either debit or credit and explain what happens next.

If we haven't received a meter reading from you recently we'll ask you for one of these so we have an accurate record of your usage.

If you’re paying too much / built up too much credit then we’ll refund you and then adjust your payments down to stop you building up credit.

If you’re paying too little / built up a debit then we’ll arrange to take a one-off payment or put in place a debt repayment plan, and then adjust your payments up to stop you building up credit.

We’ll always contact you before we make any changes.

FAQ: How to change my Direct Debit details in the app
  • OK but my credit built up seems very high. Could you review sooner?
  • OK but my credit built up seems very high. Could you review sooner?
  • hi Batman
    I think its going to be a case of using ...the batbot...(well that's one thing Batman never had...)
    You would be expected to be about one average payment in credit, and maybe a bit more depending on the timing of the DD.
    Don't forget the annual estimate is over a year so if you've not been with PP for long it may be a bit early to say whether you're on track.

If you want it reviewed head over to help in the app, ask batbot, type "message the team" and ask for them to review your balance or if way off track perhaps to reduce the DD, and a batmessage will wing it's way to you in a couple of days max.
    (and don't ask why I called you max, I know it's Bruce..)
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    OK but my credit built up seems very high. Could you review sooner?
  • hi Batman
    I think its going to be a case of using ...the batbot...(well that's one thing Batman never had...)
    You would be expected to be about one average payment in credit, and maybe a bit more depending on the timing of the DD.
    Don't forget the annual estimate is over a year so if you've not been with PP for long it may be a bit early to say whether you're on track.

If you want it reviewed head over to help in the app, ask batbot, type "message the team" and ask for them to review your balance or if way off track perhaps to reduce the DD, and a batmessage will wing it's way to you in a couple of days max.
    (and don't ask why I called you max, I know it's Bruce..)
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    OK but my credit built up seems very high. Could you review sooner?
  • Mmm seems a number of us are in same boat. My credit is nearly double my monthly payment and I have heard nothing
  • Mmm seems a number of us are in same boat. My credit is nearly double my monthly payment and I have heard nothing
  • A week ago I thought my credit was quite high, and I was a little surprised when I got a message that my dd had been reviewed and was staying the same.

Then I did my January readings, got a statement, discovered a much higher spend than previously - first big cold spell, lots of cooking over Christmas, and a price rise.

So perhaps I am on track? Like so many of us, I'll be watching carefully!
  • A week ago I thought my credit was quite high, and I was a little surprised when I got a message that my dd had been reviewed and was staying the same.

Then I did my January readings, got a statement, discovered a much higher spend than previously - first big cold spell, lots of cooking over Christmas, and a price rise.

So perhaps I am on track? Like so many of us, I'll be watching carefully!
  • Same for me @stephenrand. Mine was a tad higher in January (lights on a bit earlier due to the shorter days and yes, all that cooking for the festive period). It all seems to even out in the end. If not I'm guessing PP will review again.
  • Same for me @stephenrand. Mine was a tad higher in January (lights on a bit earlier due to the shorter days and yes, all that cooking for the festive period). It all seems to even out in the end. If not I'm guessing PP will review again.
  • Well, my electricity was very low between 17th Nov to 17th Dec....but my gas for one month was in the region of £500!! And I did no 'festive cooking" When you consider, what it is for the whole year....am I right in saying that your gas bill can be about £1000 a year? Shocked!! Clearly something is terribly wrong here!??
  • Well, my electricity was very low between 17th Nov to 17th Dec....but my gas for one month was in the region of £500!! And I did no 'festive cooking" When you consider, what it is for the whole year....am I right in saying that your gas bill can be about £1000 a year? Shocked!! Clearly something is terribly wrong here!??
  • hi Junelow
    Don't Panic (yet)
    Have you checked the figures on the statement against what the actual meter (not an in-home display) shows?
    I really doubt your monthly usage was £500 unless you live in a large draughty mansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNELOW View Post
    Well, my electricity was very low between 17th Nov to 17th Dec....but my gas for one month was in the region of £500!! And I did no 'festive cooking" When you consider, what it is for the whole year....am I right in saying that your gas bill can be about £1000 a year? Shocked!! Clearly something is terribly wrong here!??
    Last edited by woz; 27-01-19 at 18:10.
  • hi Junelow
    Don't Panic (yet)
    Have you checked the figures on the statement against what the actual meter (not an in-home display) shows?
    I really doubt your monthly usage was £500 unless you live in a large draughty mansion.
    Well, my electricity was very low between 17th Nov to 17th Dec....but my gas for one month was in the region of £500!! And I did no 'festive cooking" When you consider, what it is for the whole year....am I right in saying that your gas bill can be about £1000 a year? Shocked!! Clearly something is terribly wrong here!??
  • Hi WOZ excuse me but my first time posting, forgive me if I get this wrong lol!
    I lived in a 4 bedroomed house, and just moved, loads of confusion on that meter reading, and when I first went onto
    PP, my ex (going now through a horrific divorce) was on OVO energy, and he owed them alot of money, they then put me
    onto a pay as you go with BOOST, so I was with boost before my switch to PP.....dont understand this at all!! Deffo massive
    confusion here! No one can use half a year's supply in one month. Ludicrous.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I just realised I had to push the "quote" button to reply specifically to you.....see post above pls :-)

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    hi Junelow
    Don't Panic (yet)
  • Hi WOZ excuse me but my first time posting, forgive me if I get this wrong lol!
    I lived in a 4 bedroomed house, and just moved, loads of confusion on that meter reading, and when I first went onto
    PP, my ex (going now through a horrific divorce) was on OVO energy, and he owed them alot of money, they then put me
    onto a pay as you go with BOOST, so I was with boost before my switch to PP.....dont understand this at all!! Deffo massive

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I just realised I had to push the "quote" button to reply specifically to you.....see post above pls :-)

hi Junelow
    Don't Panic (yet)
  • Hmmmm £1000 a year on gas. Is this a lot ? I suppose it depends on the house size, would it cheer you up if i tell you i spend £750 per month on heating oil.
  • Hmmmm £1000 a year on gas. Is this a lot ? I suppose it depends on the house size, would it cheer you up if i tell you i spend £750 per month on heating oil.
  • hi June
    It's not possible to dissect what's happened with the switch from OVO other than to say you should no longer be on a prepay meter (I hope not!) and you need to make sure the readings used by OVO to close your account must match those used by PP to open your account.
    You're either going to be paying OVO for the energy or PP.(but not both for the same energy)
    As long as those numbers match you're likely to be in a better position paying PP for that energy already used because their unit rate is likely to be lower (I'm guessing...)

Do you have note of any real meter readings preferably taken weeks apart?
    I appreciate in your circumstances that may not have been high on your list of priorities!
    Also, do you have the original quote for when you joined PP
    If either (but preferably real readings and quote) we can help you to some idea your usage.
    I would expect a modern 4 bed home to be under £1000 a year unless you keep it very warm or it's badly insulated, best guess £850-£1000 for gas and less for electric (£650-850) but I've not seen your house so it's a wild guess.
    Hi WOZ excuse me but my first time posting, forgive me if I get this wrong lol!

- - - Updated - - -

• hi June
    It's not possible to dissect what's happened with the switch from OVO other than to say you should no longer be on a prepay meter (I hope not!) and you need to make sure the readings used by OVO to close your account must match those used by PP to open your account.
    You're either going to be paying OVO for the energy or PP.(but not both for the same energy)
    As long as those numbers match you're likely to be in a better position paying PP for that energy already used because their unit rate is likely to be lower (I'm guessing...)

I appreciate in your circumstances that may not have been high on your list of priorities!
    If either (but preferably real readings and quote) we can help you to some idea your usage.
    I would expect a modern 4 bed home to be under £1000 a year unless you keep it very warm or it's badly insulated, best guess £850-£1000 for gas and less for electric (£650-850) but I've not seen your house so it's a wild guess.
    Hi WOZ excuse me but my first time posting, forgive me if I get this wrong lol!

- - - Updated - - -

• Hello again WOZ

Well to be quite honest with you the OVO Bill was ONLY in my husband's name so if this is the case then PP should be sending
    that bill to him...... and not me. I have never ever had a bill in my name until the pre-paid meter was installed and until PP switched
    me.

June

hi June

- - - Updated - - -

Jon1 this is GAS not oil....

June

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Hmmmm £1000 a year on gas. Is this a lot ? I suppose it depends on the house size, would it cheer you up if i tell you i spend £750 per month on heating oil.
    - - - Updated - - -

Hi Woz,

The original quote from PP was about £89 a month direct debit for dual end of.

June

hi June

• Hello again WOZ

Well to be quite honest with you the OVO Bill was ONLY in my husband's name so if this is the case then PP should be sending
    that bill to him...... and not me. I have never ever had a bill in my name until the pre-paid meter was installed and until PP switched
    me.

June

hi June

- - - Updated - - -

Jon1 this is GAS not oil....

June

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Hmmmm £1000 a year on gas. Is this a lot ? I suppose it depends on the house size, would it cheer you up if i tell you i spend £750 per month on heating oil.
    - - - Updated - - -

Hi Woz,

June

hi June

• Quote Originally Posted by GaryClarkson View Post
    Mmm seems a number of us are in same boat. My credit is nearly double my monthly payment and I have heard nothing
    The team are working through our Members @GaryClarkson
    If you'd like it looked at urgently, that's no probs. All you have to do is contact our team via WattBot and they'll pick it up and sort it for you
  • Quote Originally Posted by GaryClarkson View Post
    Mmm seems a number of us are in same boat. My credit is nearly double my monthly payment and I have heard nothing
    The team are working through our Members @GaryClarkson
    If you'd like it looked at urgently, that's no probs. All you have to do is contact our team via WattBot and they'll pick it up and sort it for you
  • I haven't gone through one of these reviews yet, but am not sure I like the sound of a one off payment or a debt repayment plan. With the former this could be an expensive unplanned expense, and with a repayment plan - I don't really see the point of this - as surely just adjusting the DD would do the job. This has been the process with all my previous suppliers. I also wander what a debt repayment plan would encompass - e.g. would there be any interest charges.

Also while I'm on the subject what does everyone think about the higher winter payments/lower summer ones. I've personally never been keen on this as it means you are spending a lot more during the most expensive months of the year e.g. xmas. I get the argument that it minimises debit/credit levels, and therefore perhaps protects PP against bad debt, but I not sure I see the benefit for the consumer (if anything I prefer to be in credit as it offsets the immediate impact of price increases). Just my opinion - any other views welcome!
  • I haven't gone through one of these reviews yet, but am not sure I like the sound of a one off payment or a debt repayment plan. With the former this could be an expensive unplanned expense, and with a repayment plan - I don't really see the point of this - as surely just adjusting the DD would do the job. This has been the process with all my previous suppliers. I also wander what a debt repayment plan would encompass - e.g. would there be any interest charges.

Also while I'm on the subject what does everyone think about the higher winter payments/lower summer ones. I've personally never been keen on this as it means you are spending a lot more during the most expensive months of the year e.g. xmas. I get the argument that it minimises debit/credit levels, and therefore perhaps protects PP against bad debt, but I not sure I see the benefit for the consumer (if anything I prefer to be in credit as it offsets the immediate impact of price increases). Just my opinion - any other views welcome!
  • Hi Pilkers
    unless I have misunderstood (and I don't think I have but then I would say that) the "debt repayment plan" is a last resort for those who have run up a big bill and find themselves in difficulty unable to repay it- it's supposed to be a sympathetic helpful approach for those to avoid hurting them or their credit rating, not a threat. For others who are able to increase their DD or perhaps make a one off payment there would be no need for it. In answer to the question, every debt reppayment plan would be individually agreed and tailored to the personal circumstances, I can't imagine interest would be applied but I don't know.

The summer/winter split has been discussed at length many many times. Some would rather be in the position where PP (or whichever company it is as others are now doing the same) hold on to more of your money for longer by taking equal payments, but the split is fairer, you pay more when you use more.
    You may pay more in the months where you need money for xmas but I would argue you pay less in the months where you need money for holidays or you can budget then for Xmas.

As for wanting to be in credit for potential price increases, well...you can't predict when that will be but in any event it makes no difference because if there is an increase and you aren't paying enough you can increase your DD to cover it.
    ...and..if you want to generate a persistent comfort blanket just insist on your DD being slightly more.
    The one thing I would comment on is PP taking the first payment on the day you start, it would be much better if you could choose your DD date from the start, as everyone who switches in has little control of of the start date unless they back-time it and even then it isn't certain.
    The minimisation of credit/debit levels goes hand-in-hand with how much energy PP have to buy (and it's more when it's colder)

Some don't like it, it tends to be (with a few exceptions) those who are on very tight budgets and/or older people who are more set in their ways
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilkers View Post
    I haven't gone through one of these reviews yet, but am not sure I like the sound of a one off payment or a debt repayment plan. With the former this could be an expensive unplanned expense, and with a repayment plan - I don't really see the point of this - as surely just adjusting the DD would do the job. This has been the process with all my previous suppliers. I also wander what a debt repayment plan would encompass - e.g. would there be any interest charges.

• Hi Pilkers
    unless I have misunderstood (and I don't think I have but then I would say that) the "debt repayment plan" is a last resort for those who have run up a big bill and find themselves in difficulty unable to repay it- it's supposed to be a sympathetic helpful approach for those to avoid hurting them or their credit rating, not a threat. For others who are able to increase their DD or perhaps make a one off payment there would be no need for it. In answer to the question, every debt reppayment plan would be individually agreed and tailored to the personal circumstances, I can't imagine interest would be applied but I don't know.

The summer/winter split has been discussed at length many many times. Some would rather be in the position where PP (or whichever company it is as others are now doing the same) hold on to more of your money for longer by taking equal payments, but the split is fairer, you pay more when you use more.
    You may pay more in the months where you need money for xmas but I would argue you pay less in the months where you need money for holidays or you can budget then for Xmas.

As for wanting to be in credit for potential price increases, well...you can't predict when that will be but in any event it makes no difference because if there is an increase and you aren't paying enough you can increase your DD to cover it.
    ...and..if you want to generate a persistent comfort blanket just insist on your DD being slightly more.
    The one thing I would comment on is PP taking the first payment on the day you start, it would be much better if you could choose your DD date from the start, as everyone who switches in has little control of of the start date unless they back-time it and even then it isn't certain.
    The minimisation of credit/debit levels goes hand-in-hand with how much energy PP have to buy (and it's more when it's colder)

Some don't like it, it tends to be (with a few exceptions) those who are on very tight budgets and/or older people who are more set in their ways
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilkers View Post
    I haven't gone through one of these reviews yet, but am not sure I like the sound of a one off payment or a debt repayment plan. With the former this could be an expensive unplanned expense, and with a repayment plan - I don't really see the point of this - as surely just adjusting the DD would do the job. This has been the process with all my previous suppliers. I also wander what a debt repayment plan would encompass - e.g. would there be any interest charges.

• hi June

My point was that some of the £500 amount could have been because the changeover reading MAY have been incorrectly estimated, thus it was money that perhaps should have been paid to OVO.
    I was looking for reasons as per your original post as to why you've ended up with a £500 bill for one month.
    If your monthly was correctly estimated at £89 (I've assumed that's for summer) it would be £134 ish for the colder months, so worst case if it was cold I wouldn't expect your monthly gas use to be more than £70 to £90 tops, not £500, so the extra has to have come from either an incorrect estimate, very wrong changeover figures (which if so could be disputed), or very high use(least likely)
    Without readings at changeover and subsequent readings it's not possible for me to know.
    As far as the OVO bill is concerned, that's between you and your husband, you'll need readings history to establish if any of that is the cause of your £500 bill.
    Have you sent a message to PP yet?
    Go to help in the app, ask wattbot and type "message the team", if you don't have readings ask them ask them why it's £500.
    Replies aren't instant

by the way jon1 knows it was gas, he was trying to make you feel better!
    Hello again WOZ

me.

June

Hi Woz,

June
  • hi June

My point was that some of the £500 amount could have been because the changeover reading MAY have been incorrectly estimated, thus it was money that perhaps should have been paid to OVO.
    I was looking for reasons as per your original post as to why you've ended up with a £500 bill for one month.
    If your monthly was correctly estimated at £89 (I've assumed that's for summer) it would be £134 ish for the colder months, so worst case if it was cold I wouldn't expect your monthly gas use to be more than £70 to £90 tops, not £500, so the extra has to have come from either an incorrect estimate, very wrong changeover figures (which if so could be disputed), or very high use(least likely)
    Without readings at changeover and subsequent readings it's not possible for me to know.
    As far as the OVO bill is concerned, that's between you and your husband, you'll need readings history to establish if any of that is the cause of your £500 bill.
    Have you sent a message to PP yet?
    Go to help in the app, ask wattbot and type "message the team", if you don't have readings ask them ask them why it's £500.
    Replies aren't instant

by the way jon1 knows it was gas, he was trying to make you feel better!
    Hello again WOZ

me.

June

Hi Woz,

June
  • Quote Originally Posted by Pilkers View Post

Hi @Pilkers
    A debt repayment plan will be as @woz says to help people who've got significant debt and are really struggling.
    And we do not charge interest on debt.
    Our approach is to help as much as we can.
    Did you see my post about our work with debt charity StepChange?
  • Quote Originally Posted by Pilkers View Post

Hi @Pilkers
    A debt repayment plan will be as @woz says to help people who've got significant debt and are really struggling.
    And we do not charge interest on debt.
    Our approach is to help as much as we can.
    Did you see my post about our work with debt charity StepChange?
  • Thanks Marc - good to hear you are working with StepChange - I used to work for a housing association (Viridian) and we did a lot of work with them - a very good organisation.
  • Thanks Marc - good to hear you are working with StepChange - I used to work for a housing association (Viridian) and we did a lot of work with them - a very good organisation.
  • I’m extremely concerned as we are in arrears by over £500 ! PP say they will contact i
    us if we need to increase payments. That’s rubbish!!! Nobody has contacted us and I find it impossible to contact t them which is why I’m using this method.
    PP are rubbish!!!
  • I’m extremely concerned as we are in arrears by over £500 ! PP say they will contact i
    us if we need to increase payments. That’s rubbish!!! Nobody has contacted us and I find it impossible to contact t them which is why I’m using this method.
    PP are rubbish!!!
  • Hi @tedhender
    Welcome to the community
    We're working through Direct Debit reviews. But we can of course look into yours straight away. Have you sent a message to our Member services team?
    They'll sort it for you
  • Hi @tedhender
    Welcome to the community
    We're working through Direct Debit reviews. But we can of course look into yours straight away. Have you sent a message to our Member services team?
    They'll sort it for you