• Fermenting stuff!

We try not to do new years resolutions in our house. Instead we do lists of thing we want to do/achieve during the following year.

One of the things on my list was to start something that I've been interested in for awhile - fermenting stuff!

I'm starting off with a Kombucha - the first batch is brewing under the stairs - and second thing I want to try is making my own Kimchi - then I'm going to try a kefir.

I've had to buy a SCOBY for my Kombucha but I'm going to get the culture for the kefir from a friend.

Does anyone else ferment or brew their own at home?

Any tips that might be helpful or suggestions on anything else I should try?
  • We try not to do new years resolutions in our house. Instead we do lists of thing we want to do/achieve during the following year.

One of the things on my list was to start something that I've been interested in for awhile - fermenting stuff!

I'm starting off with a Kombucha - the first batch is brewing under the stairs - and second thing I want to try is making my own Kimchi - then I'm going to try a kefir.

I've had to buy a SCOBY for my Kombucha but I'm going to get the culture for the kefir from a friend.

Does anyone else ferment or brew their own at home?

Any tips that might be helpful or suggestions on anything else I should try?
  • What's Kombucha and Kimchi @Niall_PP
    ?
    Sounds quite exotic
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• What's Kombucha and Kimchi @Niall_PP
    ?
    Sounds quite exotic

• @Marc Kombucha is a fermented tea - its naturally sparkling and had lots of (supposed) health benefits along with being delish. You can pick up a small bottle in most health food stores but it can be expensive for a small bottle so brewing out own is a lot cheaper.
    Its gaining popularity now - even Jonny Wilkinson has his own brand! (which is actually really nice)

And Kimchi is a spicy Korean fermented cabbage - tastes amazing. My brother lived in South Korea for a few years and used to make his own at home which was always better than store bought Kimchi.

I had a an early taste of my Kombucha last night and it was showing promise. :-)
  • @Marc Kombucha is a fermented tea - its naturally sparkling and had lots of (supposed) health benefits along with being delish. You can pick up a small bottle in most health food stores but it can be expensive for a small bottle so brewing out own is a lot cheaper.
    Its gaining popularity now - even Jonny Wilkinson has his own brand! (which is actually really nice)

And Kimchi is a spicy Korean fermented cabbage - tastes amazing. My brother lived in South Korea for a few years and used to make his own at home which was always better than store bought Kimchi.

I had a an early taste of my Kombucha last night and it was showing promise. :-)
  • I used to ferment grape juice into wine. Does that count? Now I'm retired I'm considering starting again.

Kimchi. Pungent, rank, delicious and, I'm told, loaded with vitamin C. Captain James Cook fed sauerkraut, which is similar to kimchi, to his crew on each of his voyages. He never lost a man to scurvy.

The Koreans do fermented cucumber which ends up similar to rollmop herring.
  • I used to ferment grape juice into wine. Does that count? Now I'm retired I'm considering starting again.

Kimchi. Pungent, rank, delicious and, I'm told, loaded with vitamin C. Captain James Cook fed sauerkraut, which is similar to kimchi, to his crew on each of his voyages. He never lost a man to scurvy.

The Koreans do fermented cucumber which ends up similar to rollmop herring.
  • @Oakbank grape juice to wine definitely counts!

My grandparnets used to make wine/alcohol out (in the 40's/50's) or anything they could get their hands on. If they could add sugar to it they would make wine out of it!

I'm intrigued by fermented cucumber. Sounds amazing.
  • @Oakbank grape juice to wine definitely counts!

My grandparnets used to make wine/alcohol out (in the 40's/50's) or anything they could get their hands on. If they could add sugar to it they would make wine out of it!

I'm intrigued by fermented cucumber. Sounds amazing.
  • First batch of Kombucha is looking a little cloudy - think I brewed the tea for too long and made the initial mix too strong. Anyway its bottled up now for its second stage of fermenting with a little apple and ginger for flavour. Second stage is when it carbonates.
    @Marc i'll bring in a little bottle next week for you to taste.

Second batch is now under the stairs with a weaker brew. Going to try different tea for the third batch. I should have grown a second SCOBY by then too so i'll be able to brew batch 3 an 4 at the same time hopefully.

Also first batch of water kefir as also started brewing.
  • First batch of Kombucha is looking a little cloudy - think I brewed the tea for too long and made the initial mix too strong. Anyway its bottled up now for its second stage of fermenting with a little apple and ginger for flavour. Second stage is when it carbonates.
    @Marc i'll bring in a little bottle next week for you to taste.

Second batch is now under the stairs with a weaker brew. Going to try different tea for the third batch. I should have grown a second SCOBY by then too so i'll be able to brew batch 3 an 4 at the same time hopefully.

Also first batch of water kefir as also started brewing.
  • Thanks @Niall_PP
    It sounds, er... tasty I think

• Thanks @Niall_PP
    It sounds, er... tasty I think

• My favourite, enjoyed by all and sundry, was ginger wine. Recipe as follows:

Make a gallon of apple wine (not cider).
    When fermentation finished filter it into a second, clean demijohn.
    Transfer 1 pint to a saucepan and add 1 cup of sugar.
    Bruise some sliced root ginger and add to saucepan (quantity depends on how 'gingery' you like your wine. I just used one average root)
    Simmer gently for 10~15 minutes. (All the alcohol in this pint will evaporate, never mind)
    When cool add the liquor back to the demijohn. (Place in a cool place. It should not start fermenting again thanks to alcohol and excess sugar)
    Bottle.
    Drink.

While a great winter warmer on its own it's even better mixed 50/50 with whisky
  • My favourite, enjoyed by all and sundry, was ginger wine. Recipe as follows:

Make a gallon of apple wine (not cider).
    When fermentation finished filter it into a second, clean demijohn.
    Transfer 1 pint to a saucepan and add 1 cup of sugar.
    Bruise some sliced root ginger and add to saucepan (quantity depends on how 'gingery' you like your wine. I just used one average root)
    Simmer gently for 10~15 minutes. (All the alcohol in this pint will evaporate, never mind)
    When cool add the liquor back to the demijohn. (Place in a cool place. It should not start fermenting again thanks to alcohol and excess sugar)
    Bottle.
    Drink.

While a great winter warmer on its own it's even better mixed 50/50 with whisky