• Leaving heating on all day on low or switching on few hours a day only?

Hi all,

I’ve got a brand new combi-boiler in the flat I’ve just bought- no thermostat but if I leave the heating on all the time with the boiler temperature set at 32 to 36 degrees, then it’s giving me the ambient temperature I want in the flat (18-20 degrees as read on a thermometer). Not sure if all radiators are open full or not at the moment.

Now I’m thinking- would it be cheaper to only turn the heating on for a few hours a day...? Or would it actually take more energy to re-heat the place everyday once it’s cooled down...?
    It’s a normal size Victorian two bed ground floor flat with double glazing.

Many thanks
  • Hi all,

I’ve got a brand new combi-boiler in the flat I’ve just bought- no thermostat but if I leave the heating on all the time with the boiler temperature set at 32 to 36 degrees, then it’s giving me the ambient temperature I want in the flat (18-20 degrees as read on a thermometer). Not sure if all radiators are open full or not at the moment.

Now I’m thinking- would it be cheaper to only turn the heating on for a few hours a day...? Or would it actually take more energy to re-heat the place everyday once it’s cooled down...?
    It’s a normal size Victorian two bed ground floor flat with double glazing.

Many thanks

• Hi patricia.
    It is obviusly cheaper to have the heating on for a few hrs per day as opposed to all day.
    A small investment can save a huge amount of money, myself i put digital thermostata on every radiator.this allows me to leave boiler on all day 6am-10pm then each radiator has differant time and temperture settings according to when and how each room is used.if a room is going tp be empty room temp is set to 10c used room set to 20c.
  • Hi patricia.
    It is obviusly cheaper to have the heating on for a few hrs per day as opposed to all day.
    A small investment can save a huge amount of money, myself i put digital thermostata on every radiator.this allows me to leave boiler on all day 6am-10pm then each radiator has differant time and temperture settings according to when and how each room is used.if a room is going tp be empty room temp is set to 10c used room set to 20c.

• hi Patricia
    It's always cheaper to switch it on when you need it.
    It sounds like you'd benefit hugely from a time switch (programmer) and thermostat being fitted.That way you could time it to come on 30 mins before you arrive home.
  • hi Patricia
    It's always cheaper to switch it on when you need it.
    It sounds like you'd benefit hugely from a time switch (programmer) and thermostat being fitted.That way you could time it to come on 30 mins before you arrive home.

• Hi Patricia.

One way of looking at the question is this: Would you leave your car engine running 24hrs a day just so it's nice and warm when you pop out for a drive?

The principle is the same. Burn gas only when you need it. Get yourself a timer and turn the heating off, or down to something like 16 degrees, when you go to bed, and have it come on again about an hour before your alarm clock goes off.
  • Hi Patricia.

One way of looking at the question is this: Would you leave your car engine running 24hrs a day just so it's nice and warm when you pop out for a drive?

The principle is the same. Burn gas only when you need it. Get yourself a timer and turn the heating off, or down to something like 16 degrees, when you go to bed, and have it come on again about an hour before your alarm clock goes off.

• The boiler is set too low, set the boiler thermostat to just below maximum normally 75 and your room thermostat to 19-20c then set your programmer on/off periods to meet your own budget.
    When you're calling for heat you want the boiler /radiators to get hot as quick as possible, thus the rooms will reach temperature quicker resulting in the boiler reducing output/turning off.
    If your boiler is set low then the radiators will give less output resulting in the complete opposite. For example, boiler cutting on/off very frequently but rooms not warming enough or quick enough.
    You say new combi, so this should have been fitted to Part L so include room stat and now temperature compensation device.
  • The boiler is set too low, set the boiler thermostat to just below maximum normally 75 and your room thermostat to 19-20c then set your programmer on/off periods to meet your own budget.
    When you're calling for heat you want the boiler /radiators to get hot as quick as possible, thus the rooms will reach temperature quicker resulting in the boiler reducing output/turning off.
    If your boiler is set low then the radiators will give less output resulting in the complete opposite. For example, boiler cutting on/off very frequently but rooms not warming enough or quick enough.
    You say new combi, so this should have been fitted to Part L so include room stat and now temperature compensation device.

• hi kenty
    I think Patricia may have misquoted the temperature, can't see it going that low. Wonder if she meant 72 or 62?
    Is it mandatory to have a temperature compensation device? If so when did it become mandatory and more to the point what is it, what does it do and where is it fitted in the system?
    I had a combi fitted not that long ago and I don't remember it being mentioned.
    Patricia seems to imply that she has neither a thermostat (very odd) or a timer
    Quote Originally Posted by kenty3874 View Post
    The boiler is set too low, set the boiler thermostat to just below maximum normally 75 and your room thermostat to 19-20c then set your programmer on/off periods to meet your own budget.
  • hi kenty
    I think Patricia may have misquoted the temperature, can't see it going that low. Wonder if she meant 72 or 62?
    Is it mandatory to have a temperature compensation device? If so when did it become mandatory and more to the point what is it, what does it do and where is it fitted in the system?
    I had a combi fitted not that long ago and I don't remember it being mentioned.
    Patricia seems to imply that she has neither a thermostat (very odd) or a timer
    Quote Originally Posted by kenty3874 View Post
    The boiler is set too low, set the boiler thermostat to just below maximum normally 75 and your room thermostat to 19-20c then set your programmer on/off periods to meet your own budget.

• Interestingly, my partner and I had this exact same.cinversation. we have a boiler with a thermostat and the option to set the boiler itself on timer. We used to have it on timer but never really had the thermostat set at a regular temperature. Our house can get very cold and last year we had the fire on a lot. Then someone said it was cheaper to have the heating on all the time ticking over but on a low heat than to have it on timer as it will have to heat the bones of the house up so we thought we would try it. Had a higher energy bill for gas than usual this month and think that's why so this month we are back to having timer but also have the thermostat set to around 18 so it will only come on at the times we've set but ONLY if it's less than our set temperatute and I ebelieve this will work out better 😊
  • Interestingly, my partner and I had this exact same.cinversation. we have a boiler with a thermostat and the option to set the boiler itself on timer. We used to have it on timer but never really had the thermostat set at a regular temperature. Our house can get very cold and last year we had the fire on a lot. Then someone said it was cheaper to have the heating on all the time ticking over but on a low heat than to have it on timer as it will have to heat the bones of the house up so we thought we would try it. Had a higher energy bill for gas than usual this month and think that's why so this month we are back to having timer but also have the thermostat set to around 18 so it will only come on at the times we've set but ONLY if it's less than our set temperatute and I ebelieve this will work out better 😊

• Thanks all for replies,
    that’s right no thermostat, there’s an old one that was apparently linked to old boiler, but previous owner said it’s not linked to new boiler, which is true as I’ve tested it low and high and no effect on boiler. However there is a timer on the boiler. So I could set it to be on for set period only.
    Boiler radiator heat temperature set at below 40 degrees C, it goes as low as 30! Radiators barely hot but enough heat to maintain 18-20 degrees in the flat. Boiler comes on for a short while then switches off for a good while.
  • Thanks all for replies,
    that’s right no thermostat, there’s an old one that was apparently linked to old boiler, but previous owner said it’s not linked to new boiler, which is true as I’ve tested it low and high and no effect on boiler. However there is a timer on the boiler. So I could set it to be on for set period only.
    Boiler radiator heat temperature set at below 40 degrees C, it goes as low as 30! Radiators barely hot but enough heat to maintain 18-20 degrees in the flat. Boiler comes on for a short while then switches off for a good while.

• hi patricia
    your boiler is a condensing boiler and the efficiency is worse at lower temperatures, because part of the efficiency is gained from extracting the heat from the condensate, which doesn't work as well at lower temperatures. I concur with what kenty said.
    Try it at 60deg and see how you get on is my advice.
  • hi patricia
    your boiler is a condensing boiler and the efficiency is worse at lower temperatures, because part of the efficiency is gained from extracting the heat from the condensate, which doesn't work as well at lower temperatures. I concur with what kenty said.
    Try it at 60deg and see how you get on is my advice.

• I believe the temp setting on the boiler will be the return water temp. So if its set low then frankly it will be pointless should be set to at least 65 degrees.
  • I believe the temp setting on the boiler will be the return water temp. So if its set low then frankly it will be pointless should be set to at least 65 degrees.

• They can definitely be turned down to about 25 but wouldn't really come on. There's a misconception that running a boiler low is more cost effective. It makes no logical sense as the radiators won't be hot enough so house will take longer to reach temperature thus shutting down more frequently. Newer boilers also modulate so infact even though on full the amount of gas being used could be low at that time. And may have weather compensation which basically modulates the boiler temp dependent on the outside temp and in.
    This next part is taken from the net
    The most notable change applies to the minimum performance standard for domestic gas boilers in England, with the efficiency level of all boilers manufactured and installed needing to be at least 92% ErP. As well as the minimum level of efficiency, there are a some other measures that have to be taken into account too:

Time and temperature controls required for all gas and oil boiler installations
    Combi boiler installations must also include one of the following: Weather compensation, Load compensation, Flue Gas Heat Recovery, Smart controls.
  • They can definitely be turned down to about 25 but wouldn't really come on. There's a misconception that running a boiler low is more cost effective. It makes no logical sense as the radiators won't be hot enough so house will take longer to reach temperature thus shutting down more frequently. Newer boilers also modulate so infact even though on full the amount of gas being used could be low at that time. And may have weather compensation which basically modulates the boiler temp dependent on the outside temp and in.
    This next part is taken from the net
    The most notable change applies to the minimum performance standard for domestic gas boilers in England, with the efficiency level of all boilers manufactured and installed needing to be at least 92% ErP. As well as the minimum level of efficiency, there are a some other measures that have to be taken into account too:

Time and temperature controls required for all gas and oil boiler installations
    Combi boiler installations must also include one of the following: Weather compensation, Load compensation, Flue Gas Heat Recovery, Smart controls.