• Cutting food waste, going vegan, thinking about sustainable farming, tackling hunger

Happy new year everyone!

If you’re anything like me, you may have slightly overdone it in the past few weeks, especially the amount of food eaten.

Now that Christmas is over, it’s a good time to make a New Year resolution to eat less, move more, and get healthy.

Throughout January 2019 we at Pure Planet are going to be taking a look at food - what we’re eating, where it comes from, how it impacts our planet.

Zero Hunger is one of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.

The SDGs - aka “the world’s most important to-do list” - are the 17 things that the UN has agreed are the most pressing things we need to do by 2050.

Name:  Pure Planet supports the Sustainable Development Goals.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  52.2 KB

We’re one of 12,000 businesses that have signed the UN Global Compact (and the only British small energy supplier to do so).

Starting last month and for the next 17 months, we’ll be looking a different goal each month. We’ll be highlighting them here in the community.

January’s SDG is Zero Hunger.

Some of the topics we’ll be talking about in January include choosing veganism or vegetarianism for a month, how to re-use food waste, why the world is experiencing a rise in hunger for the third year running, how to measure your food's carbon footprint, and much else.

Latest
    research has revealed that without dairy and meat consumption, global farmland would be reduced by 75% and still feed the world.
    Our appetite for eating meat and dairy accounts for just 18% of calories consumed globally, but produces 60% of agriculture's greenhouse gases, and uses 83% of the farmland.

In a recent poll in the community - are you a
    vegan or vegetarian or have you considered it? - found that nearly half of Members who voted (47.62%) said they were neither, and it was staying that way.

Food for thought? Tell us what you think!

Community Manager - Pure Planet.

• Happy new year everyone!

If you’re anything like me, you may have slightly overdone it in the past few weeks, especially the amount of food eaten.

Now that Christmas is over, it’s a good time to make a New Year resolution to eat less, move more, and get healthy.

Throughout January 2019 we at Pure Planet are going to be taking a look at food - what we’re eating, where it comes from, how it impacts our planet.

Zero Hunger is one of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.

The SDGs - aka “the world’s most important to-do list” - are the 17 things that the UN has agreed are the most pressing things we need to do by 2050.

Name:  Pure Planet supports the Sustainable Development Goals.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  52.2 KB

We’re one of 12,000 businesses that have signed the UN Global Compact (and the only British small energy supplier to do so).

Starting last month and for the next 17 months, we’ll be looking a different goal each month. We’ll be highlighting them here in the community.

January’s SDG is Zero Hunger.

Some of the topics we’ll be talking about in January include choosing veganism or vegetarianism for a month, how to re-use food waste, why the world is experiencing a rise in hunger for the third year running, how to measure your food's carbon footprint, and much else.

Latest
    research has revealed that without dairy and meat consumption, global farmland would be reduced by 75% and still feed the world.
    Our appetite for eating meat and dairy accounts for just 18% of calories consumed globally, but produces 60% of agriculture's greenhouse gases, and uses 83% of the farmland.

In a recent poll in the community - are you a
    vegan or vegetarian or have you considered it? - found that nearly half of Members who voted (47.62%) said they were neither, and it was staying that way.

Food for thought? Tell us what you think!

• One of our team brought in some delicious homemade vegan cookies to PP Towers today.
    They lasted about 30 seconds....

Name:  vegan cookies at Pure Planet.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  2.67 MB

• One of our team brought in some delicious homemade vegan cookies to PP Towers today.
    They lasted about 30 seconds....

Name:  vegan cookies at Pure Planet.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  2.67 MB
  • in the words of Mrs Doyle go-on, go-on, go-on
    here's a handy link to start you off
    or if that's a small step too far..
    look here and here
  • in the words of Mrs Doyle go-on, go-on, go-on
    here's a handy link to start you off
    or if that's a small step too far..
    look here and here
  • and here (I didn't want to post the image for copyright reasons)
  • and here (I didn't want to post the image for copyright reasons)
  • As much as I support what they've done for the environment they still slaughter the animals and sell them...
    Quote Originally Posted by JennyR68 View Post
  • As much as I support what they've done for the environment they still slaughter the animals and sell them...
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    As much as I support what they've done for the environment they still slaughter the animals and sell them...
    Yes, thought this topic was about sustainable farming and the good of the planet. Vegan 8s not environmentally friendly in it's current form or sustainable long term. Surely the focus should be on working in harmony with nature to support the planet.
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    As much as I support what they've done for the environment they still slaughter the animals and sell them...
    Yes, thought this topic was about sustainable farming and the good of the planet. Vegan 8s not environmentally friendly in it's current form or sustainable long term. Surely the focus should be on working in harmony with nature to support the planet.
  • hi Jenny
    indeed it is, (I never mentioned veganism but it is mentioned in the title).
    I don't see the two as being exclusive; each to their own.
    Name:  cow1-t2-r.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  6.9 KB
  • hi Jenny
    indeed it is, (I never mentioned veganism but it is mentioned in the title).
    I don't see the two as being exclusive; each to their own.
    Name:  cow1-t2-r.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  6.9 KB
  • Quote Originally Posted by JennyR68 View Post
    It's an interesting debate @JennyR68 @woz
    The issue I have with the article you've linked to is that the author at one point writes:

In 2000, my husband and I turned our 1,400-hectare (3,500-acre) farm in West Sussex over to extensive grazing using free-roaming herds of old English longhorn cattle
    Which isn't something most people can really think about doing. Or even imagine how they'd start.

So what about this Guardian article which claims that the single biggest thing any of us can do to reduce our impact on the planet is cut out meat and dairy.

I can do that right now....

It's an interesting debate @JennyR68 @woz
    The issue I have with the article you've linked to is that the author at one point writes:

In 2000, my husband and I turned our 1,400-hectare (3,500-acre) farm in West Sussex over to extensive grazing using free-roaming herds of old English longhorn cattle
    Which isn't something most people can really think about doing. Or even imagine how they'd start.

So what about this Guardian article which claims that the single biggest thing any of us can do to reduce our impact on the planet is cut out meat and dairy.

I can do that right now....
  • @Marc the problem I have with that article is 'The study,*published in the journal Science, created a huge dataset based on almost 40,000 farms in 119 countries' This is not a one size fits all problem. How much travelling have you done in the highlands of Scotland, the Yorkshire Dale's, the mountains of Wales etc, You take the food animals off those terrains then you have totally unproductive land that could be used for food and suicidal farmers.The focus should be on paying the proper price for food that supports organic farming that supports the planet. And I can assure you that philosophy naturally cuts down the consumption of meat. It should not be cheap and the animals should not be factory farmed and fed unnaturall foods, mans greed has caused the problems and that needs reigned in. You don't need to scratch too deep to find plenty wrong with veg growing too!
    Last edited by JennyR68; 07-01-19 at 20:45.
  • @Marc the problem I have with that article is 'The study,*published in the journal Science, created a huge dataset based on almost 40,000 farms in 119 countries' This is not a one size fits all problem. How much travelling have you done in the highlands of Scotland, the Yorkshire Dale's, the mountains of Wales etc, You take the food animals off those terrains then you have totally unproductive land that could be used for food and suicidal farmers.The focus should be on paying the proper price for food that supports organic farming that supports the planet. And I can assure you that philosophy naturally cuts down the consumption of meat. It should not be cheap and the animals should not be factory farmed and fed unnaturall foods, mans greed has caused the problems and that needs reigned in. You don't need to scratch too deep to find plenty wrong with veg growing too!
  • Like most things in life there has to be a balance because people/ cultures will not change overnight. And just one small point I eat less meat and will purchase organic produce and eat healthily plus sweet treats..sorry this is My point went round my Vegan friends last Saturday and they made these marinades for the veg, had plenty left that I would of of put in the fridge and used until depleted..they chucked it in the Bin. More Education needed for those Vegans...as I said its all about a sustainable balance.
  • Like most things in life there has to be a balance because people/ cultures will not change overnight. And just one small point I eat less meat and will purchase organic produce and eat healthily plus sweet treats..sorry this is My point went round my Vegan friends last Saturday and they made these marinades for the veg, had plenty left that I would of of put in the fridge and used until depleted..they chucked it in the Bin. More Education needed for those Vegans...as I said its all about a sustainable balance.
  • https://www.soilassociation.org/news...e-environment/ Maybe more respect for these guys?
    Last edited by JennyR68; 07-01-19 at 21:31.
  • https://www.soilassociation.org/news...e-environment/ Maybe more respect for these guys?
    The focus should be on paying the proper price for food that supports organic farming that supports the planet.
    Totally agree @JennyR68.
    As @Strutt G says, it's tricky to change overnight (and stick with it). I'm not into trying to force people to go veggie or vegan anything else.
    At home we're mostly veggie, we eat meat maybe once a week - yep it's the classic Sunday lunch which we do try and make sure is sourced locally, organically.
    We're lucky enough to have that option, and to be able to afford it too.
    But not daily. If we wanted meat everyday it would be cheap, mass-produced, farmed in a way which is damaging.

The focus should be on paying the proper price for food that supports organic farming that supports the planet.
    Totally agree @JennyR68.
    As @Strutt G says, it's tricky to change overnight (and stick with it). I'm not into trying to force people to go veggie or vegan anything else.
    At home we're mostly veggie, we eat meat maybe once a week - yep it's the classic Sunday lunch which we do try and make sure is sourced locally, organically.
    We're lucky enough to have that option, and to be able to afford it too.
    But not daily. If we wanted meat everyday it would be cheap, mass-produced, farmed in a way which is damaging.
  • Just read the small print on the organic cheese I just picked up in lidl's 100% organic milk, 100% green energy. Win, win 😁👍
  • Just read the small print on the organic cheese I just picked up in lidl's 100% organic milk, 100% green energy. Win, win 😁👍
  • Hey @JennyR68
    Saw this article about a new 'science-based' diet and thought of you
    Some interesting points being made about reducing (not necessarily completely cutting out) red meat.

• Hey @JennyR68
    Saw this article about a new 'science-based' diet and thought of you
    Some interesting points being made about reducing (not necessarily completely cutting out) red meat.