• Opening electricity readings wildly inaccurate despite photo provided

I switched on 9 December 2018. On 6 December 2018, I was asked to provide switching meter readings and photos, which I did.

The gas reading was used as my opening reading and on final bill from previous supplier.

The opening electricity readings have been changed, to much higher values (120kWh more), and from these the previous supplier has issued their final bill.

Considering that I log consumption weekly, I can see that my meter did not reach Pure Planet's made up readings until approx. the 18th December.

Why have my switching readings been tampered with?

And if it was in order to guess the actual figures on the 9 December, why didn't you just ask me for a reading on that day?

Why were my electricity figures falsified, whilst my gas reading was used as provided?

Who is going to compensate me for the 120kWh of energy that I've been billed for at my previous supplier's higher rate?
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • I switched on 9 December 2018. On 6 December 2018, I was asked to provide switching meter readings and photos, which I did.

The gas reading was used as my opening reading and on final bill from previous supplier.

The opening electricity readings have been changed, to much higher values (120kWh more), and from these the previous supplier has issued their final bill.

Considering that I log consumption weekly, I can see that my meter did not reach Pure Planet's made up readings until approx. the 18th December.

Why have my switching readings been tampered with?

And if it was in order to guess the actual figures on the 9 December, why didn't you just ask me for a reading on that day?

Why were my electricity figures falsified, whilst my gas reading was used as provided?

Who is going to compensate me for the 120kWh of energy that I've been billed for at my previous supplier's higher rate?
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Could not agree more, but this is nothing to do with PP.
    you send readings to PP who send them to the regulators, they then decide to change the figure for some reason or another and send their revised figure to PP and your old supplier for both parties to use. Changes happen more often than you would expect but unless the suppplier shows the readings on app or webpage somehow then you would of been none the wiser. Hopefully new smart meters will solve this crackpot system but somehow i doubt it as it keeps a quango employed.
  • Could not agree more, but this is nothing to do with PP.
    you send readings to PP who send them to the regulators, they then decide to change the figure for some reason or another and send their revised figure to PP and your old supplier for both parties to use. Changes happen more often than you would expect but unless the suppplier shows the readings on app or webpage somehow then you would of been none the wiser. Hopefully new smart meters will solve this crackpot system but somehow i doubt it as it keeps a quango employed.

• hi talldave
    Whilst I agree if you sent readings in it should have been much nearer I fear that the small difference 120kwh may be regarded as being in tolerance and something you'll have to live with.
    How much more than PP's rate was the rate charged by your previous supplier?
    If you want to dispute this you'll need to go to help in the app, type "message the team" and someone will get back to you - it may take a number of days what with holidays etc.
    I appreciate it's not really about the £2 (or whatever the difference is) - it's about why, when you submitted readings, a higher reading was used.
  • hi talldave
    Whilst I agree if you sent readings in it should have been much nearer I fear that the small difference 120kwh may be regarded as being in tolerance and something you'll have to live with.
    How much more than PP's rate was the rate charged by your previous supplier?
    If you want to dispute this you'll need to go to help in the app, type "message the team" and someone will get back to you - it may take a number of days what with holidays etc.
    I appreciate it's not really about the £2 (or whatever the difference is) - it's about why, when you submitted readings, a higher reading was used.

• Thanks for the reply - advice taken on asking for help via the app.

My previous supplier advised that "the industry" sees anything under 250kWh as not worth investigating, so tough ****. At around 4p a unit, the monetary value is trivial - but for me it's the principle. That 120kWh is almost 2 weeks consumption, so why have all this song and dance about switching you on a particular date, when the meter readings are just falsified to make them 2 weeks out?

This isn't just a Pure Planet rant, I despair at the whole energy industry's incompetence and see this as a prime example of why Smart metering has been/is/will be total fiasco in the UK. I've provided two numbers for my once in a blue moon event of an electricity switch - and they've been inexplicably incorrectly changed. With a Smart meter, my meter would be spitting out 48 or more readings a day - how the hell is this blundering industry going to cope? Well I know the answer, they're not - without a serious change of management away from the "but we've always done it this way" entrenched attitude.

Ironically, in this instance, it would have taken less effort to get it right - just use the figures I supplied.
  • Thanks for the reply - advice taken on asking for help via the app.

My previous supplier advised that "the industry" sees anything under 250kWh as not worth investigating, so tough ****. At around 4p a unit, the monetary value is trivial - but for me it's the principle. That 120kWh is almost 2 weeks consumption, so why have all this song and dance about switching you on a particular date, when the meter readings are just falsified to make them 2 weeks out?

This isn't just a Pure Planet rant, I despair at the whole energy industry's incompetence and see this as a prime example of why Smart metering has been/is/will be total fiasco in the UK. I've provided two numbers for my once in a blue moon event of an electricity switch - and they've been inexplicably incorrectly changed. With a Smart meter, my meter would be spitting out 48 or more readings a day - how the hell is this blundering industry going to cope? Well I know the answer, they're not - without a serious change of management away from the "but we've always done it this way" entrenched attitude.

Ironically, in this instance, it would have taken less effort to get it right - just use the figures I supplied.

• Thanks Jon1 for the explanation - it fits with my previous supplier telling me that "the industry" must have changed the figures. The only reason I can see to change them was to compensate for the readings being taken on the 6th and the switch being done on the 9th. But then they just show their total incompetence by "guessing" that I'd use 120kWh in 3 days, when in fact the daily consumption has been consistently around 10kWh - that's a factor of four times out; not just a small error, but FOUR times out. And this is the industry we trust to take us forward into the Smart metering era? We're screwed!
  • Thanks Jon1 for the explanation - it fits with my previous supplier telling me that "the industry" must have changed the figures. The only reason I can see to change them was to compensate for the readings being taken on the 6th and the switch being done on the 9th. But then they just show their total incompetence by "guessing" that I'd use 120kWh in 3 days, when in fact the daily consumption has been consistently around 10kWh - that's a factor of four times out; not just a small error, but FOUR times out. And this is the industry we trust to take us forward into the Smart metering era? We're screwed!

• I agree, and add to that a large tranche of (potentially incompetent/insufficiently trained) smart meter installers.
    Just to add it not the price of the units but the difference in price between the old and new, but I still agree, no recourse to fixing it even with good proof that it's wrong - and why is it so wrong?

If you walked into a shop and they said we're going to charge you a couple of quid more on your £100 item "'cos our supplier might have miscounted" I think I can guess most people's answer.

I have an idea.. Ofgem should bring in a regulation to allow each switch a 50kWh gap (i.e. not to pay 25kWh to each supplier.)
    Trivial for the suppliers - 99% of issues gone at the stroke of a pen, and fair too..

Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    Thanks Jon1 for the explanation - it fits with my previous supplier telling me that "the industry" must have changed the figures. The only reason I can see to change them was to compensate for the readings being taken on the 6th and the switch being done on the 9th. But then they just show their total incompetence by "guessing" that I'd use 120kWh in 3 days, when in fact the daily consumption has been consistently around 10kWh - that's a factor of four times out; not just a small error, but FOUR times out. And this is the industry we trust to take us forward into the Smart metering era? We're screwed!
    Last edited by woz; 30-12-18 at 20:58. Reason: magic dust working again..
  • I agree, and add to that a large tranche of (potentially incompetent/insufficiently trained) smart meter installers.
    Just to add it not the price of the units but the difference in price between the old and new, but I still agree, no recourse to fixing it even with good proof that it's wrong - and why is it so wrong?

If you walked into a shop and they said we're going to charge you a couple of quid more on your £100 item "'cos our supplier might have miscounted" I think I can guess most people's answer.

I have an idea.. Ofgem should bring in a regulation to allow each switch a 50kWh gap (i.e. not to pay 25kWh to each supplier.)
    Trivial for the suppliers - 99% of issues gone at the stroke of a pen, and fair too..

Quote Originally Posted by talldave View Post
    Thanks Jon1 for the explanation - it fits with my previous supplier telling me that "the industry" must have changed the figures. The only reason I can see to change them was to compensate for the readings being taken on the 6th and the switch being done on the 9th. But then they just show their total incompetence by "guessing" that I'd use 120kWh in 3 days, when in fact the daily consumption has been consistently around 10kWh - that's a factor of four times out; not just a small error, but FOUR times out. And this is the industry we trust to take us forward into the Smart metering era? We're screwed!

• Think 120 kWh a problem? My readings are 400+kWh out per month. I still haven't reached the estimated reading at the end of Oct last year despite sending readings and photo as requested. Hope there's an adjustment soon. At this rate I'll have paid a year's electric in 3 months and be flat broke without knowing when I'll get a refund or reduced monthly dd.
  • Think 120 kWh a problem? My readings are 400+kWh out per month. I still haven't reached the estimated reading at the end of Oct last year despite sending readings and photo as requested. Hope there's an adjustment soon. At this rate I'll have paid a year's electric in 3 months and be flat broke without knowing when I'll get a refund or reduced monthly dd.

• Hi Mugs have you sent a message to the team via Help... utalising wattBot?
    If not start by typing "Message the Team" followed by your concerns..you should get a response within 2 days.
    Last edited by Strutt G; 21-01-19 at 23:09.
  • Hi Mugs have you sent a message to the team via Help... utalising wattBot?
    If not start by typing "Message the Team" followed by your concerns..you should get a response within 2 days.

• Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Hi Mugs have you sent a message to the team via Help... utalising wattBot?
    Yes, did that thanks. Think the problem lies with where they got the estimated usage. I didn't live in the UK before so 'inherited' the previous tenant's/supplier's data. Clearly was not overly concerned with income/expenditure! Nonetheless previous supplier pulled a fast one in giving PP the opening reading, and I was struggling to get this app working. Team say it might take a few weeks more before its sorted.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Hi Mugs have you sent a message to the team via Help... utalising wattBot?
    Yes, did that thanks. Think the problem lies with where they got the estimated usage. I didn't live in the UK before so 'inherited' the previous tenant's/supplier's data. Clearly was not overly concerned with income/expenditure! Nonetheless previous supplier pulled a fast one in giving PP the opening reading, and I was struggling to get this app working. Team say it might take a few weeks more before its sorted.

• Yea there's a third party regulatory that adjusts the figures based on what you have just said, it will pan out...and you will only eventually pay what you use.
    400kWs of E based on "my last tarrif including Vat is £47.42, that's a south east tarrif. So 120kWs is £14.23.
    So you are paying approx £33.19 more unless I've read your original message wrong.
    Last edited by Strutt G; 22-01-19 at 17:58.
  • Yea there's a third party regulatory that adjusts the figures based on what you have just said, it will pan out...and you will only eventually pay what you use.
    400kWs of E based on "my last tarrif including Vat is £47.42, that's a south east tarrif. So 120kWs is £14.23.
    So you are paying approx £33.19 more unless I've read your original message wrong.

• Hi there,

I have had a similar, perhaps more extreme, version of this problem. Signed up for PP at the beginning of the year (31st dec I think) and submitted photos of starting meter readings a week or two later ( we weren't quite moved into the house yet).

Having received my first bill, they have got the initial starting point readings correct, but have vastly vastly overestimated the amount of energy we used this month, and as a result overcharged a considerable amount.

Our mas meter read 17014.03, but they have charged me as though it reads 17239.
    Similarly, our electricity meter is on 10837, but their estimate put it at 11661.

Seeing as we weren't even occupying the house for practically half of this billing period, so have used very little energy altogether, this is all the more frustrating.

Having gotten onto the app and tried to explain to the team, they seem to have got completely the wrong end of the stick. I sent them photos of both of our meters, and to date their only response has been to explain why final bills can take 6 weeks to be issued. As though I'm leaving, not joining them?! Possible cause of the mixup is that the previous tenants were clients of theirs too. But frankly I feel completely taken for a ride as I apparently have no way to stop them taking a large amount of money out of my account, and no recourse to any sensible advice or help from them.

Anyone have any similar experiences, or secret tips of how to access a useful human to resolve similar difficulties?!

Yours desperately
    Chris
  • Hi there,

I have had a similar, perhaps more extreme, version of this problem. Signed up for PP at the beginning of the year (31st dec I think) and submitted photos of starting meter readings a week or two later ( we weren't quite moved into the house yet).

Having received my first bill, they have got the initial starting point readings correct, but have vastly vastly overestimated the amount of energy we used this month, and as a result overcharged a considerable amount.

Our mas meter read 17014.03, but they have charged me as though it reads 17239.
    Similarly, our electricity meter is on 10837, but their estimate put it at 11661.

Seeing as we weren't even occupying the house for practically half of this billing period, so have used very little energy altogether, this is all the more frustrating.

Having gotten onto the app and tried to explain to the team, they seem to have got completely the wrong end of the stick. I sent them photos of both of our meters, and to date their only response has been to explain why final bills can take 6 weeks to be issued. As though I'm leaving, not joining them?! Possible cause of the mixup is that the previous tenants were clients of theirs too. But frankly I feel completely taken for a ride as I apparently have no way to stop them taking a large amount of money out of my account, and no recourse to any sensible advice or help from them.

Anyone have any similar experiences, or secret tips of how to access a useful human to resolve similar difficulties?!

Yours desperately
    Chris

• Hi Lomax2020,

Gas 17239 less 17014 is 225kWs based on my tarrif with Vat included = £6.90 approx
    Ele 11661 less 10837 is 824kWs ". ". ". ". = £108.15 "
    In my view you should "message the Team" again and explain that you are a new customer and not leaving..requesting PP to review your previous message.

This does not assist now but send in regular readings via the APP and when you are next prompted. Your direct debit will eventually reflect nearer to what you use when the usage pans out...as actual opening reads and actual closing reads. The account is meant to be in credit as we all joined paying in advance. Sorry not sure if this assists. Revert Back once you have contacted PP again?

In my short experience PP are not taking their customers for a ride, it's APP based which does not suit some peeps. I have used wattBot and get responses within 2 days. And this community forum and FaQs greatly assists. Good luck
    Last edited by Strutt G; 23-01-19 at 22:46.
  • Hi Lomax2020,

Gas 17239 less 17014 is 225kWs based on my tarrif with Vat included = £6.90 approx
    In my view you should "message the Team" again and explain that you are a new customer and not leaving..requesting PP to review your previous message.

This does not assist now but send in regular readings via the APP and when you are next prompted. Your direct debit will eventually reflect nearer to what you use when the usage pans out...as actual opening reads and actual closing reads. The account is meant to be in credit as we all joined paying in advance. Sorry not sure if this assists. Revert Back once you have contacted PP again?

In my short experience PP are not taking their customers for a ride, it's APP based which does not suit some peeps. I have used wattBot and get responses within 2 days. And this community forum and FaQs greatly assists. Good luck

• hi strutt g and lomax2020
    I suspect the gas reading is in cu m in which case it’ll be lots more £££ more like £75
    sorry if that’s the case- i’m not trying to further depress you! Just to add that the dd shouldn’t change while it’s being sorted so it’s just a case of being patient...or if the dd is excessive ask to have it adjusted in the interim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Hi Lomax2020,

Last edited by woz; 24-01-19 at 00:22.
  • hi strutt g and lomax2020
    I suspect the gas reading is in cu m in which case it’ll be lots more £££ more like £75
    sorry if that’s the case- i’m not trying to further depress you! Just to add that the dd shouldn’t change while it’s being sorted so it’s just a case of being patient...or if the dd is excessive ask to have it adjusted in the interim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Hi Lomax2020,

• Hello lomax2020.
    Being as your opening readings are ok then this is not really a huge problem.

Yes granted your first statement of usage is very high due to estimated readings being used, however if you start giving regular actual readings in the app then your second statement will correct the inital over charge.

Lastly your direct debit payment wont change as it is based on a years usage.
  • Hello lomax2020.
    Being as your opening readings are ok then this is not really a huge problem.

Yes granted your first statement of usage is very high due to estimated readings being used, however if you start giving regular actual readings in the app then your second statement will correct the inital over charge.

Lastly your direct debit payment wont change as it is based on a years usage.

• Hi all. Have to say I get the same 'can take 6 weeks to fix' reply. But am also getting threatening letters from previous supplier which is frightening. I already have depression and anxiety issues and need this kind of mess like a hole in the head.
    Likewise 'the team' don't seem interested in modifying my dd to reflect real usage despite now having 4 readings.
    Previous supplier insists opening reading not been confirmed by pp.
    Nervous breakdown time around corner...
  • Hi all. Have to say I get the same 'can take 6 weeks to fix' reply. But am also getting threatening letters from previous supplier which is frightening. I already have depression and anxiety issues and need this kind of mess like a hole in the head.
    Likewise 'the team' don't seem interested in modifying my dd to reflect real usage despite now having 4 readings.

• hi Mugs
    I suggest you contact your previous supplier and offer to pay them a small amount by DD until this is sorted. Offer say £10 a month.
    That will prevent them them taking further action. If you do have a medical diagnosis it won't hurt to tell them you are a vulnerable customer, and ask them to put a note on the account about that and your offer to pay a small amount until the final bill is sorted.
    If they are sending you letters it's because presumably they think you owe them money.
    Some of that will be for energy they think you've used with them after you've switched. They can't take your readings from you but that doesn't mean they can't make a note of them on the account and work out an approximate amount in the interim, which would benefit both them and you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    Hi all. Have to say I get the same 'can take 6 weeks to fix' reply. But am also getting threatening letters from previous supplier which is frightening. I already have depression and anxiety issues and need this kind of mess like a hole in the head.
    Last edited by woz; 28-01-19 at 13:52.
  • hi Mugs
    I suggest you contact your previous supplier and offer to pay them a small amount by DD until this is sorted. Offer say £10 a month.
    That will prevent them them taking further action. If you do have a medical diagnosis it won't hurt to tell them you are a vulnerable customer, and ask them to put a note on the account about that and your offer to pay a small amount until the final bill is sorted.
    If they are sending you letters it's because presumably they think you owe them money.
    Some of that will be for energy they think you've used with them after you've switched. They can't take your readings from you but that doesn't mean they can't make a note of them on the account and work out an approximate amount in the interim, which would benefit both them and you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    Hi all. Have to say I get the same 'can take 6 weeks to fix' reply. But am also getting threatening letters from previous supplier which is frightening. I already have depression and anxiety issues and need this kind of mess like a hole in the head.

• can I give you my electric reading done gas
  • can I give you my electric reading done gas

• Hi sandown
    is this your opening reading when you switch in or an ongoing reading- unclear why you’re asking. If it’s an ongoing reading just submit through the app, if your starting not sure why you’ve sent one but not the other?
  • Hi sandown
    is this your opening reading when you switch in or an ongoing reading- unclear why you’re asking. If it’s an ongoing reading just submit through the app, if your starting not sure why you’ve sent one but not the other?

• Could someone please help me?
    My previous UK supplier billed me £117 for a cancelled Direct Debit which I accept but then sent me a further "final bill" for £187 for ONE months estimated bill. I have never used almost £200 on energy in less than 30 days in my life. When I contacted them (EDF)they intimated at a mix up sending final meter readings to Blue Planet upon them taking over my supply on Dec 27th 2018, now who is trying to pull a fast one here? EDF assure me they'll sort it out but I don't trust them.
  • Could someone please help me?
    My previous UK supplier billed me £117 for a cancelled Direct Debit which I accept but then sent me a further "final bill" for £187 for ONE months estimated bill. I have never used almost £200 on energy in less than 30 days in my life. When I contacted them (EDF)they intimated at a mix up sending final meter readings to Blue Planet upon them taking over my supply on Dec 27th 2018, now who is trying to pull a fast one here? EDF assure me they'll sort it out but I don't trust them.

• hi Brad
    no one is trying to pull a fast one although that does not preclude errors.
    You give PP your opening readings, they send them to regulator for verification, they may be amended at that stage; the readings are agreed by pp and edf, then edf produce a final bill and charge or refund you.
    The most important part of it all is that the opening readings used by pp match the closing readings used by edf.
    You have to wait for edf to produce your final bill now and check it against PP's opening readings. The readings may not be exactly what you submitted but there is an allowed tolerance - being the same for both providers is far more important than any small difference in the readings from what you expect.
    The only fast one I can see was you cancelling the DD, you've made life more difficult for yourself- it would have been better if you'd left the dd then contacted edf to ask them to reduce it until your final bill.
    Sadly other than hypnotism (by a hypnotist, not by me), I can't solve your distrust (*or is it mistrust) of edf.
    (*All grammatical discussions welcome.. I would say it's distrust of a particular entity or mistrust of energy companies? dunno...)

Quote Originally Posted by BradtheMiller View Post
    Could someone please help me?
    Last edited by woz; 31-01-19 at 03:52.
  • hi Brad
    no one is trying to pull a fast one although that does not preclude errors.
    You give PP your opening readings, they send them to regulator for verification, they may be amended at that stage; the readings are agreed by pp and edf, then edf produce a final bill and charge or refund you.
    The most important part of it all is that the opening readings used by pp match the closing readings used by edf.
    You have to wait for edf to produce your final bill now and check it against PP's opening readings. The readings may not be exactly what you submitted but there is an allowed tolerance - being the same for both providers is far more important than any small difference in the readings from what you expect.
    The only fast one I can see was you cancelling the DD, you've made life more difficult for yourself- it would have been better if you'd left the dd then contacted edf to ask them to reduce it until your final bill.
    Sadly other than hypnotism (by a hypnotist, not by me), I can't solve your distrust (*or is it mistrust) of edf.
    (*All grammatical discussions welcome.. I would say it's distrust of a particular entity or mistrust of energy companies? dunno...)

Quote Originally Posted by BradtheMiller View Post
    Could someone please help me?