• Switching

Hi all,

Just a thought but uswitch tells me that bearing in mind the new prices in january it would cost me a measly 85p a year extra to go back to green network energy on a 12 month fixed deal.

I must admit I am tempted by this. I like pp I really do but,am I better off going or not.I mean if prices here go up again in say March or maybe the summer I'd be missing out on green networks cheaper deal.

I suppose this boils down to what wholesale prices will be doing not on 15 of January but in say 6 months time. Is there any way to gauge what wholesale prices will do in around 4 to 6 months time?
  • Hi all,

Just a thought but uswitch tells me that bearing in mind the new prices in january it would cost me a measly 85p a year extra to go back to green network energy on a 12 month fixed deal.

I must admit I am tempted by this. I like pp I really do but,am I better off going or not.I mean if prices here go up again in say March or maybe the summer I'd be missing out on green networks cheaper deal.

I suppose this boils down to what wholesale prices will be doing not on 15 of January but in say 6 months time. Is there any way to gauge what wholesale prices will do in around 4 to 6 months time?

• A huge amount of factors affect the wholesale price. For example.
    Oil price,exchange rate,extended hot weather,extended cold,supply security from abroad,gas storage level, etc etc etc. If you can forecast all of that and more you can gauge where prices will go.
    I also predict that all other suppliers will be announcing happy new year price rises soon enough.
  • A huge amount of factors affect the wholesale price. For example.
    Oil price,exchange rate,extended hot weather,extended cold,supply security from abroad,gas storage level, etc etc etc. If you can forecast all of that and more you can gauge where prices will go.
    I also predict that all other suppliers will be announcing happy new year price rises soon enough.

• hi michaelc
    Well.. this is interesting, Uswitch seem to offer exclusive tariffs which as far as I can see aren't available directly on the green network energy website.
    Furthermore there is a per fuel exit penalty of ยฃ25 (for the first 316 days or 365 minus 49)

Also have you taken into account that there is still 6 weeks before your PP tariff increase takes effect? That means for 6 weeks out of the 52 you'll be paying less at PP

That said because my usage and postcode are different to yours I couldn't check out the statement you made, but I couldn't get near the figure you quoted with my usage. G.E.N. have a higher unit charge and lower daily fee than PP, so if you're a low user that would be more beneficial.
    As far as predictions go I predict that whatever I predict will be wrong...unless it's right, in which case it will still be wrong.

• hi michaelc
    Well.. this is interesting, Uswitch seem to offer exclusive tariffs which as far as I can see aren't available directly on the green network energy website.
    Furthermore there is a per fuel exit penalty of ยฃ25 (for the first 316 days or 365 minus 49)

Also have you taken into account that there is still 6 weeks before your PP tariff increase takes effect? That means for 6 weeks out of the 52 you'll be paying less at PP

That said because my usage and postcode are different to yours I couldn't check out the statement you made, but I couldn't get near the figure you quoted with my usage. G.E.N. have a higher unit charge and lower daily fee than PP, so if you're a low user that would be more beneficial.
    As far as predictions go I predict that whatever I predict will be wrong...unless it's right, in which case it will still be wrong.

• Woz,

The offer assumes the new prices for pp,so yes you are right I'd lose 6 weeks worth of unbeatable pp prices. In 6 weeks time though that wouldn't apply
    I live in West Yorkshire region by the way. When I joined pp they were by far the most affordable company,discounting a couple of rubbish sounding ones. That's not the case now.
    Future prices are what counts here.a decrease in the coming months would be good,but another increase would make gne the way to go. Wish I had a crystal ball

Michael
  • Woz,

The offer assumes the new prices for pp,so yes you are right I'd lose 6 weeks worth of unbeatable pp prices. In 6 weeks time though that wouldn't apply
    I live in West Yorkshire region by the way. When I joined pp they were by far the most affordable company,discounting a couple of rubbish sounding ones. That's not the case now.
    Future prices are what counts here.a decrease in the coming months would be good,but another increase would make gne the way to go. Wish I had a crystal ball

Michael

• Me too (crystal balls - Bev behave yourself!)...only you can decide what's more important to you.
    From a purely objective viewpoint if the gne fix is genuine (i.e if the figures are correct as you quoted) it seems like a good deal. My guess, given the current state of the market is that you won't have the choice for very long.
    Good luck whatever you decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelc View Post
    Woz,

Michael
  • Me too (crystal balls - Bev behave yourself!)...only you can decide what's more important to you.
    From a purely objective viewpoint if the gne fix is genuine (i.e if the figures are correct as you quoted) it seems like a good deal. My guess, given the current state of the market is that you won't have the choice for very long.
    Good luck whatever you decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelc View Post
    Woz,

Michael

• ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ”ฎ๐Ÿ”ฎ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‰
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ”ฎ๐Ÿ”ฎ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‰
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN

• Oh if only we could forecast the future, life would be so much simpler.
    IMHO it is safe to assume energy prices will go up. How much of an increase warrants a supplier switch depends on the Standing Charge, the price per kWh, dual fuel discount and early exit fees.
    Iโ€™m convinced the Big Six make calculating an accurate comparison as difficult as possible, within regulatory requirements.
    PP, on the other hand, quote wholesale prices, are quite clear the rate is variable, and give fair notice of upcoming increases.
    As a new user I donโ€™t know if PP have ever reduced their p/kWh.
  • Oh if only we could forecast the future, life would be so much simpler.
    IMHO it is safe to assume energy prices will go up. How much of an increase warrants a supplier switch depends on the Standing Charge, the price per kWh, dual fuel discount and early exit fees.
    Iโ€™m convinced the Big Six make calculating an accurate comparison as difficult as possible, within regulatory requirements.
    PP, on the other hand, quote wholesale prices, are quite clear the rate is variable, and give fair notice of upcoming increases.

• hi Oak
    no, because sadly we haven't seen a sustained reduction in wholesale costs since they started operating, but they did reduce the membership fee. I can feel the faint wind of a down-trend tickling my ears (it would be blowing my hair but lets not go there..)
    I hope it lasts..(the down-trend not the hair...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    Oh if only we could forecast the future, life would be so much simpler.
  • hi Oak
    no, because sadly we haven't seen a sustained reduction in wholesale costs since they started operating, but they did reduce the membership fee. I can feel the faint wind of a down-trend tickling my ears (it would be blowing my hair but lets not go there..)
    I hope it lasts..(the down-trend not the hair...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    Oh if only we could forecast the future, life would be so much simpler.