POLL: Are you vegan or vegetarian or have you thought about it?
29-11-18, 10:41 - Views: 3197
I spotted this really interesting article/report about how the global food system is 'broken'.
The report, by the Interacademy Partnership, has found that the way we produce food is driving global warming and also leaves billions hungry.
Studying the impact of the global food system over three years, the findings are pretty grim:
- The way we produce food generates a third of greenhouse gases (more than all the combined emissions from transport, heating, lighting and air conditioning)
- Global warming caused by this is already damaging food production through extreme weather such as flooding
- Billions of people go hungry and a third of world's population don't get enough vitamins, while at the same time 600 million people are obese, and a further 2 billion overweight
- More than 1 billion tonnes of food goes to waste every year.
The Interacademy Partnership is made up of academics and scientists around the world. Member Tim Benton, a professor at the University of Leeds, is quoted by The Guardian as saying "the global food system is broken.... Our food system is currently unsustainable."
The findings have also been reported by the Daily Mail.
According to the research, reducing meat and dairy consumption is the single biggest way we, as individuals, can lessen our impact on the planet.
I've toyed with veganism and vegetarianism for the past couple of years. Although last Sunday I did have some roast chicken. I have to admit I have no idea where the chicken came from, how it was farmed.
Have you ever thought about becoming a veggie or a vegan? It would be interesting to hear what the Pure Planet Community thinks. I'm also going to be looking a little closer at food impact and waste in the New Year.
Last edited by Marc; 29-11-18 at 10:43. Reason: Adding photo
Community Manager - Pure Planet
- New app update - get version 7.32.12 for new features including downloadable statements 😀
- Pure Planet Community latest highlights and rewards leaderboard 😍
- Community tips for an eco-friendly Christmas 🎄
- Sneak preview - how send a meter reading screens will look soon!
- What's the last movie you watched? A fun new thread from @Jowl 🎦
- Find out more about member @Gray4276 who is our latest community Zero Hero
- Why we're still asking for monthly readings from Members with new smart meters
- November photo challenge - illuminations✨
- POLL: What temperature do you heat your home to?