Poll: Are you a vegan or vegetarian or have you considered it?

• Marc - Very interesting post.

What are the best vegan tips for getting enough B12? Can this be done without taking supplements?
  • Marc - Very interesting post.

What are the best vegan tips for getting enough B12? Can this be done without taking supplements?
  • Marmites a great source Lenny ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘as are nearly all breakfast cereals. I too worry re my B12 but itโ€™s never been low to date as always consume marmite. Love cereals with soya milk or soya yoghurt ๐Ÿ‘. I too steer away from supplements if possible.
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Marmites a great source Lenny ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘as are nearly all breakfast cereals. I too worry re my B12 but itโ€™s never been low to date as always consume marmite. Love cereals with soya milk or soya yoghurt ๐Ÿ‘. I too steer away from supplements if possible.

WALT WHITMAN
  • hi Lenny
    โ€‹There are very few options for B12 foods if you're vegan and only a slightly better choice if vegetarian. (eggs etc.)
    Bev has mainly covered the options but there is no harm in taking supplement (particularly if you aren't a marmite fan). Normally you don't need more than 2.5 to 3 microgrammes of B12 daily,
    however...

โ€‹If you suffer from any form of gastro-intestinal/bowel disease, such as Crohn's or Colitis or Celiac or there is a familial genetic predisposition to such (often ethnically) then you can end up low in B12 whether or not you're vegetarian or vegan because you may not be absorbing it properly from food, and in which case you should discuss with your GP who will test and arrange a course of top-up injections.

There is a very good article HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Marc - Very interesting post.

• hi Lenny
    โ€‹There are very few options for B12 foods if you're vegan and only a slightly better choice if vegetarian. (eggs etc.)
    Bev has mainly covered the options but there is no harm in taking supplement (particularly if you aren't a marmite fan). Normally you don't need more than 2.5 to 3 microgrammes of B12 daily,
    however...

โ€‹If you suffer from any form of gastro-intestinal/bowel disease, such as Crohn's or Colitis or Celiac or there is a familial genetic predisposition to such (often ethnically) then you can end up low in B12 whether or not you're vegetarian or vegan because you may not be absorbing it properly from food, and in which case you should discuss with your GP who will test and arrange a course of top-up injections.

There is a very good article HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Marc - Very interesting post.

• This can be to the extreme I know,but it shows the issues that can be caused.
    My son is getting married in a few weeks, and some of the bride's friends are vegan ( the bride is vegetarian ). The menu had been created around the needs of the vegan diet to the exclusion of all others, with non-vegans having to choose from a restricted menu.
    The worst point Is that the vegan couple can no longer go, but it is too late to change the menu.
  • This can be to the extreme I know,but it shows the issues that can be caused.
    My son is getting married in a few weeks, and some of the bride's friends are vegan ( the bride is vegetarian ). The menu had been created around the needs of the vegan diet to the exclusion of all others, with non-vegans having to choose from a restricted menu.
    The worst point Is that the vegan couple can no longer go, but it is too late to change the menu.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post
    Been invited for a vegan Roast this Sunday.
    Roughly speaking 5 days out of 7 preparing vegetarian which could be vegan dishes.
    How was the vegan roast @Strutt G ?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹
    Been invited for a vegan Roast this Sunday.
    Roughly speaking 5 days out of 7 preparing vegetarian which could be vegan dishes.
    How was the vegan roast @Strutt G ?

• Yo Marc, ha ha you're on your game this morning.

Well actually it did not turn out to be a roast but my good friends made two Lasagnes, roast new pots and some lovely salads.
    One was vegetarian (not vegan) and one was not and the meat came from a known supplier.
    Both were yummy.

I actually complained (in nice way) "hey Man I've come all this way looking forward to being veganised and your serving up meat options"
    Anyway, I don't know what else I can say other than we had a great time.
    Last edited by Strutt G; 13-05-19 at 11:55.
  • Yo Marc, ha ha you're on your game this morning.

Well actually it did not turn out to be a roast but my good friends made two Lasagnes, roast new pots and some lovely salads.
    One was vegetarian (not vegan) and one was not and the meat came from a known supplier.
    Both were yummy.

I actually complained (in nice way) "hey Man I've come all this way looking forward to being veganised and your serving up meat options"
    Anyway, I don't know what else I can say other than we had a great time.
    two Lasagnes, roast new pots and some lovely salads.
    I don't know what else I can say other than we had a great time.
    Two lasagnes? I'd have a great time too @Strutt G Sounds like heaven to me

two Lasagnes, roast new pots and some lovely salads.
    I don't know what else I can say other than we had a great time.

• Massive cop out serving bleeding lasagnes ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž, and with one being meat, Iโ€™d have been reluctant to eat, as once and only once thank the Lord ๐Ÿ™, at a works house party, two chilli con carne served. One veggie, one not. Youโ€™ve guessed it ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ, but thank God only one mouthful before she realised! Idiot! I didnโ€™t eat any more til got home, and tbh rarely eat out now no matter what ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Massive cop out serving bleeding lasagnes ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž, and with one being meat, Iโ€™d have been reluctant to eat, as once and only once thank the Lord ๐Ÿ™, at a works house party, two chilli con carne served. One veggie, one not. Youโ€™ve guessed it ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ, but thank God only one mouthful before she realised! Idiot! I didnโ€™t eat any more til got home, and tbh rarely eat out now no matter what ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Youre a little bugger re veganism ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Youre a little bugger re veganism ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

WALT WHITMAN
  • Oh no Bev, my thoughtless words....I was slightly disappointed on arrival, but the veg one had lentils, aubergine, courgette, mushrooms etc etc and was really really good but not vegan.
  • Oh no Bev, my thoughtless words....I was slightly disappointed on arrival, but the veg one had lentils, aubergine, courgette, mushrooms etc etc and was really really good but not vegan.
  • Ah, great you enjoyed it Strutty ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘, does sound really nice ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Ah, great you enjoyed it Strutty ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘, does sound really nice ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/foodanddrink/loma-linda-tuno-vegan-tuna-uk-morrisons-a4147776.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1558448732

Sooooooooooooo wanna try this little bad boy! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Good ole Morrisonโ€™s ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/foodanddrink/loma-linda-tuno-vegan-tuna-uk-morrisons-a4147776.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1558448732

Sooooooooooooo wanna try this little bad boy! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Good ole Morrisonโ€™s ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post

Sooooooooooooo wanna try this little bad boy!
    How do vegan replacements manage to replicate the texture it'll be flaky like tuna??

So impressive what they can do now (and super important as more and more people become veggie/ vegan) but not sure I'm sold on fake flakes
    โ€‹If you try it you'll need to let us know how it is!
    • The first snow of winter arrives! โ›„ Have you had snow yet?
    • Wondering how to keep Christmas eco-friendly? We're sharing our top tips๐Ÿ’š๐ŸŽ…โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹
    • Enter your photos in November's photo challenge - Illuminations โœจโ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹
    • How much do you know about renewable energy?๐Ÿค”โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹ Find out in our quiz!
  • Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post

Sooooooooooooo wanna try this little bad boy!
    How do vegan replacements manage to replicate the texture it'll be flaky like tuna??

So impressive what they can do now (and super important as more and more people become veggie/ vegan) but not sure I'm sold on fake flakes
    โ€‹If you try it you'll need to let us know how it is!
    • The first snow of winter arrives! โ›„ Have you had snow yet?
    • Wondering how to keep Christmas eco-friendly? We're sharing our top tips๐Ÿ’š๐ŸŽ…โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹
    • Enter your photos in November's photo challenge - Illuminations โœจโ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹
    • How much do you know about renewable energy?๐Ÿค”โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹ Find out in our quiz!
  • Will do Nat ๐Ÿ‘. Hope to try this week. Guessing might be chunks, and made with soya protein ๐Ÿ‘, but weโ€™ll see. Love the idea its tinned tho, as not one for frozen foods, so this will keep for months ๐Ÿ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Will do Nat ๐Ÿ‘. Hope to try this week. Guessing might be chunks, and made with soya protein ๐Ÿ‘, but weโ€™ll see. Love the idea its tinned tho, as not one for frozen foods, so this will keep for months ๐Ÿ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Gutted ๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜ซ, extra long trek ๐Ÿƒ*โ™€๏ธto Morrisonโ€™s specifically for these vegan tuna bad boys, and zilch ๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜ซ. Even asked, but the Gormless git just looked at me blankly as if Iโ€™d asked him to go catch me a fresh bugger ๐Ÿšฃ*โ™‚๏ธ๐ŸŽฃ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„. Why do they advertise all these things nationally, then only stock a select few stores with them?! ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ‘Ž. Oh well, just have to keep trying.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Gutted ๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜ซ, extra long trek ๐Ÿƒ*โ™€๏ธto Morrisonโ€™s specifically for these vegan tuna bad boys, and zilch ๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜ซ. Even asked, but the Gormless git just looked at me blankly as if Iโ€™d asked him to go catch me a fresh bugger ๐Ÿšฃ*โ™‚๏ธ๐ŸŽฃ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„. Why do they advertise all these things nationally, then only stock a select few stores with them?! ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ‘Ž. Oh well, just have to keep trying.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Here you go bev. Homemade vegan tuna.
    Alter it by swapping nori sheets for seaweed sheets.Name:  20190523_164644.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  58.1 KB
    Name:  20190523_164708.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  144.3 KB
  • Here you go bev. Homemade vegan tuna.
    Alter it by swapping nori sheets for seaweed sheets.Name:  20190523_164644.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  58.1 KB
    Name:  20190523_164708.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  144.3 KB
  • Thanks our Jon, but I canโ€™t do those seaweed sheets for love nor money. Tried twice from Chinese shop and both times vomited ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ

WALT WHITMAN
  • Thanks our Jon, but I canโ€™t do those seaweed sheets for love nor money. Tried twice from Chinese shop and both times vomited ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ

WALT WHITMAN
  • Gorgeous new bad boy from Innocent ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘. And totally vegan ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Name:  33708BAD-FEED-4F23-8DFA-FD2A0EBB12B4.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  1.22 MB

WALT WHITMAN
  • Gorgeous new bad boy from Innocent ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘. And totally vegan ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Name:  33708BAD-FEED-4F23-8DFA-FD2A0EBB12B4.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  1.22 MB

WALT WHITMAN
  • Hi Bev,

Looks good, Ah spirulina in a good brand - its a great escaper that powder remember it getting every where when it escaped from draw at work.

You better alter that picture because the Wozarator will highlight you fopar.

Ah its a sunny day and never type on a glass of wine.....
    Last edited by Strutt G; 25-05-19 at 15:34.
  • Hi Bev,

Looks good, Ah spirulina in a good brand - its a great escaper that powder remember it getting every where when it escaped from draw at work.

You better alter that picture because the Wozarator will highlight you fopar.

Ah its a sunny day and never type on a glass of wine.....
  • I bought some Spiralina some months back Strutty, but still in cupboard, not one of my favourites ๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Žbut in this Innicent, itโ€™s fine. Gorge juice ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘. Oh Jeez, whatโ€™s wrong with my picture? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

WALT WHITMAN
  • I bought some Spiralina some months back Strutty, but still in cupboard, not one of my favourites ๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Žbut in this Innicent, itโ€™s fine. Gorge juice ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘. Oh Jeez, whatโ€™s wrong with my picture? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

WALT WHITMAN