• POLL: Are you vegan or vegetarian or have you thought about it?

Name:  Go meat free.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  112.2 KB

Hi everyone

I spotted this really interesting article/report about how the global food system is 'broken'.

The report, by the Interacademy Partnership, has found that the way we produce food is driving global warming and also leaves billions hungry.

Studying the impact of the global food system over three years, the findings are pretty grim:

- The way we produce food generates a third of greenhouse gases (more than all the combined emissions from transport, heating, lighting and air conditioning)
    - Global warming caused by this is already damaging food production through extreme weather such as flooding
    - Billions of people go hungry and a third of world's population don't get enough vitamins, while at the same time 600 million people are obese, and a further 2 billion overweight
    - More than 1 billion tonnes of food goes to waste every year.

The Interacademy Partnership is made up of academics and scientists around the world. Member Tim Benton, a professor at the University of Leeds, is quoted by The Guardian as saying "the global food system is broken.... Our food system is currently unsustainable."

The findings have also been reported by the Daily Mail.

According to the research, reducing meat and dairy consumption is the single biggest way we, as individuals, can lessen our impact on the planet.

I've toyed with veganism and vegetarianism for the past couple of years. Although last Sunday I did have some roast chicken. I have to admit I have no idea where the chicken came from, how it was farmed.

Have you ever thought about becoming a veggie or a vegan? It would be interesting to hear what the Pure Planet Community thinks. I'm also going to be looking a little closer at food impact and waste in the New Year.
    Last edited by Marc; 29-11-18 at 11:43. Reason: Adding photo
    Community Manager - Pure Planet.

• Name:  Go meat free.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  112.2 KB

Hi everyone

I spotted this really interesting article/report about how the global food system is 'broken'.

The report, by the Interacademy Partnership, has found that the way we produce food is driving global warming and also leaves billions hungry.

Studying the impact of the global food system over three years, the findings are pretty grim:

- The way we produce food generates a third of greenhouse gases (more than all the combined emissions from transport, heating, lighting and air conditioning)
    - Global warming caused by this is already damaging food production through extreme weather such as flooding
    - Billions of people go hungry and a third of world's population don't get enough vitamins, while at the same time 600 million people are obese, and a further 2 billion overweight
    - More than 1 billion tonnes of food goes to waste every year.

The Interacademy Partnership is made up of academics and scientists around the world. Member Tim Benton, a professor at the University of Leeds, is quoted by The Guardian as saying "the global food system is broken.... Our food system is currently unsustainable."

The findings have also been reported by the Daily Mail.

According to the research, reducing meat and dairy consumption is the single biggest way we, as individuals, can lessen our impact on the planet.

I've toyed with veganism and vegetarianism for the past couple of years. Although last Sunday I did have some roast chicken. I have to admit I have no idea where the chicken came from, how it was farmed.

Have you ever thought about becoming a veggie or a vegan? It would be interesting to hear what the Pure Planet Community thinks. I'm also going to be looking a little closer at food impact and waste in the New Year.
  • Love this polly Marc πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘. I’m veggie (for 32 years)but seriously getting closer to going vegan
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN

• Love this polly Marc πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘. I’m veggie (for 32 years)but seriously getting closer to going vegan
  • I'm not vegetarian but I am fully organic (clean energy/ clean food) for meat and veg and know exactly where any meat I eat comes from and we eat far less of it than cheap meat. I rarely eat meat out as don't know where it's from and usually choose vegetarian option.
  • I'm not vegetarian but I am fully organic (clean energy/ clean food) for meat and veg and know exactly where any meat I eat comes from and we eat far less of it than cheap meat. I rarely eat meat out as don't know where it's from and usually choose vegetarian option.
  • My infinitely better half is vegetarian, but not through choice. She simply cannot eat meat! Apparently she lacks something in her system that enable her to digest animal protein. So, from the age of two she has eaten nothing but vegetables and dairy produce. She can tolerate seafood though. The more expensive the better
    What makes this a bit ironic is her father was a beef farmer.

Me? I'm a devout carnivore I'm afraid. Though since meeting my other half four decades ago I have reduced my meat intake; smaller portions and less often. When dining out I'll usually choose seafood rather than meat, unless there is venison on the menu.

Going vegan I don't understand. To me it's a lifestyle choice that goes against evolution. We, homosapiens, have evolved to be omnivores. What is also apparent is that we seem to have also evolved to be gluttons, hence the obesity and diabetes epidemic.
    Last edited by Marc; 03-12-18 at 14:07. Reason: Filling in starred-out word
  • My infinitely better half is vegetarian, but not through choice. She simply cannot eat meat! Apparently she lacks something in her system that enable her to digest animal protein. So, from the age of two she has eaten nothing but vegetables and dairy produce. She can tolerate seafood though. The more expensive the better
    What makes this a bit ironic is her father was a beef farmer.

Me? I'm a devout carnivore I'm afraid. Though since meeting my other half four decades ago I have reduced my meat intake; smaller portions and less often. When dining out I'll usually choose seafood rather than meat, unless there is venison on the menu.

Going vegan I don't understand. To me it's a lifestyle choice that goes against evolution. We, homosapiens, have evolved to be omnivores. What is also apparent is that we seem to have also evolved to be gluttons, hence the obesity and diabetes epidemic.
  • Quote Originally Posted by JennyR68 View Post
    I'm not vegetarian but I am fully organic (clean energy/ clean food) for meat and veg and know exactly where any meat I eat comes from and we eat far less of it than cheap meat. I rarely eat meat out as don't know where it's from and usually choose vegetarian option.
    That sounds like a good policy @JennyR68
    Would you consider going veggie?

I'm not vegetarian but I am fully organic (clean energy/ clean food) for meat and veg and know exactly where any meat I eat comes from and we eat far less of it than cheap meat. I rarely eat meat out as don't know where it's from and usually choose vegetarian option.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    What is also apparent is that we seem to have also evolved to be gluttons, hence the obesity and diabetes epidemic.
    Yep, it's scary isn't it?
    What's the solution, do you think? Is it simply a case of encouraging people not to buy ready made processed food which is full of bad stuff, and take the time to prepare and cook healthier food?

• Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    What is also apparent is that we seem to have also evolved to be gluttons, hence the obesity and diabetes epidemic.
    Yep, it's scary isn't it?
    What's the solution, do you think? Is it simply a case of encouraging people not to buy ready made processed food which is full of bad stuff, and take the time to prepare and cook healthier food?
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    No flexitarian works better to keep my hubby happy 😁
    No flexitarian works better to keep my hubby happy 😁
    No flexitarian works better to keep my hubby happy
    Good move @JennyR68

Have you ever seen the film Cowspiracy? I believe it's still on Netflix. I challenge anyone to watch it and not immediately go vegan....

No flexitarian works better to keep my hubby happy
    Good move @JennyR68

Have you ever seen the film Cowspiracy? I believe it's still on Netflix. I challenge anyone to watch it and not immediately go vegan....
  • It's a very big emotive subject and there's no perfect point of view as this artcle highlights http://uk.businessinsider.com/vegani...esearch-2018-8 . I personally am not entirely convinced that veganism is very environmentally friendly in the short term never mind the long because of the prevalence of so many ingredients that have to be transported around the world, never mind the ingredients often used
    that yes an animal may not have suffered but that doesn't mean it's good to eat ie https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...urite-nut.html So amid this big mess of conflicting ideas and food production methods we all have to work with our own consciences to the best of our abilities with the finances we have. For me i'm happy with organic and as local as possible as my baseline and the price I have to pay for that choice naturally reduces the meat intake. So lacto -veggie for us tonight as run out off pennies in this weeks budget for any more meat :-) But I will watch that video if I can find it.
  • It's a very big emotive subject and there's no perfect point of view as this artcle highlights http://uk.businessinsider.com/vegani...esearch-2018-8 . I personally am not entirely convinced that veganism is very environmentally friendly in the short term never mind the long because of the prevalence of so many ingredients that have to be transported around the world, never mind the ingredients often used
    that yes an animal may not have suffered but that doesn't mean it's good to eat ie https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...urite-nut.html So amid this big mess of conflicting ideas and food production methods we all have to work with our own consciences to the best of our abilities with the finances we have. For me i'm happy with organic and as local as possible as my baseline and the price I have to pay for that choice naturally reduces the meat intake. So lacto -veggie for us tonight as run out off pennies in this weeks budget for any more meat :-) But I will watch that video if I can find it.
  • Hi @JennyR68
    Here's a short YouTube version of Cowspiracy. It's a good 'taster' (geddit?!)

• Hi @JennyR68

Hi @JennyR68

Thank you, just had a lovely lunch of vegan chilli and polenta chips, did add cheese & soured cream on the side though πŸ˜‚ And about to tackle a big pike of ironing with the full length version I found on Netflix,😁
    Hi @JennyR68

Thank you, just had a lovely lunch of vegan chilli and polenta chips, did add cheese & soured cream on the side though πŸ˜‚ And about to tackle a big pike of ironing with the full length version I found on Netflix,😁
  • I was a vegetarian for 13 years then stopped and I’m now dairy free (my little boy is allergic and I feed him). It’s alarming how quick your stomach adjusts to it, I known if milks slipped into my diet as I get a crippling stomach pain...! So many good dairy free varieties out there though pizza and chocolate aren’t quite the same!
  • I was a vegetarian for 13 years then stopped and I’m now dairy free (my little boy is allergic and I feed him). It’s alarming how quick your stomach adjusts to it, I known if milks slipped into my diet as I get a crippling stomach pain...! So many good dairy free varieties out there though pizza and chocolate aren’t quite the same!
  • Hi @Laurenw
    Agree, vegan food which 'pretends' (not the right word, but you know what I mean!) to be meat/dairy doesn't taste right.
    Veggie sausages are pointless IMHO.
    I don't have much of a sweet tooth so not sure about chocolate.
    Maybe a vegan recipes thread would be useful?
    Although I know @Bev has already shared some amazing recipes here

• Hi @Laurenw
    Agree, vegan food which 'pretends' (not the right word, but you know what I mean!) to be meat/dairy doesn't taste right.
    Veggie sausages are pointless IMHO.
    I don't have much of a sweet tooth so not sure about chocolate.
    Maybe a vegan recipes thread would be useful?
    Although I know @Bev has already shared some amazing recipes here