• Economy 7 meter timer

We have just changed to Pure Planet but have a SSE economy 7 meter. How do we stop the Economy 7 timer? As I am now 81, at home most of the day and was not warm enough so have replaced the old storage heaters with new electric heaters. Hever these only come on during the night because of the old economy 7 timer!
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • We have just changed to Pure Planet but have a SSE economy 7 meter. How do we stop the Economy 7 timer? As I am now 81, at home most of the day and was not warm enough so have replaced the old storage heaters with new electric heaters. Hever these only come on during the night because of the old economy 7 timer!
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

hi jim
    Im a bit confused by your post, if you have the heating on a timer then are you sure you are classed as economy 7 and not economy 10?
    There are 2 possibilities as far as I can see, either your heating is controlled by a time clock, in which case all you need do is override the clock, or it’s controlled by the meter switch itself, in which case it will need to be rewired. If I were you i’d find a friendly local electrician who will have a look and advise. With economy seven you are at liberty to use appliances when you like, but if it was wired for a tariff other than economy 7 the system will/may have seals on it which is why i’m asking as to why you believe your heating isn’t configurable to be as you wish.
    sorry if post is a bit disjointed, post back if you need more info
    Last edited by woz; 28-11-18 at 23:32.
  • hi jim
    Im a bit confused by your post, if you have the heating on a timer then are you sure you are classed as economy 7 and not economy 10?
    There are 2 possibilities as far as I can see, either your heating is controlled by a time clock, in which case all you need do is override the clock, or it’s controlled by the meter switch itself, in which case it will need to be rewired. If I were you i’d find a friendly local electrician who will have a look and advise. With economy seven you are at liberty to use appliances when you like, but if it was wired for a tariff other than economy 7 the system will/may have seals on it which is why i’m asking as to why you believe your heating isn’t configurable to be as you wish.
    sorry if post is a bit disjointed, post back if you need more info

• Hi @Jim2018 you cannot adjust the E7 timer in that way unfortunately. All you could do is ask for the E7 meter / timer to be removed by contacting Pure through wattbot and entering "message the team"?
  • Hi @Jim2018 you cannot adjust the E7 timer in that way unfortunately. All you could do is ask for the E7 meter / timer to be removed by contacting Pure through wattbot and entering "message the team"?

• Gil as far as I know with E7 you are free to use appliances whenever you wish, so if Jim really is on E7 and there is a timer he is at liberty to change it. It may be that he was once on E10 in which case it will be wired that way.
    However, given the circumstances of the poster I'd ask a spark to come in and take a quick look first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil View Post
    Hi @Jim2018 you cannot adjust the E7 timer in that way unfortunately. All you could do is ask for the E7 meter / timer to be removed by contacting Pure through wattbot and entering "message the team"?
  • Gil as far as I know with E7 you are free to use appliances whenever you wish, so if Jim really is on E7 and there is a timer he is at liberty to change it. It may be that he was once on E10 in which case it will be wired that way.
    However, given the circumstances of the poster I'd ask a spark to come in and take a quick look first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil View Post
    Hi @Jim2018 you cannot adjust the E7 timer in that way unfortunately. All you could do is ask for the E7 meter / timer to be removed by contacting Pure through wattbot and entering "message the team"?

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Gil as far as I know with E7 you are free to use appliances whenever you wish, .....
    Unfortunately this is the not the case if you have old storage heaters. Our last two houses at one point were heated by storage heaters and were on a separate circuits. They only came on at night and could not be changed as the timer control relay for this circuit was part of the metering setup.

From what @Jim2018 has posted, this is the setup he realises he has. I agree though that a local electrician could check this out to see if he or Pure/local distributor need to get involved.

Jim can then use his new heaters whenever he wants
    Last edited by Gil; 01-12-18 at 07:13.
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Gil as far as I know with E7 you are free to use appliances whenever you wish, .....
    Unfortunately this is the not the case if you have old storage heaters. Our last two houses at one point were heated by storage heaters and were on a separate circuits. They only came on at night and could not be changed as the timer control relay for this circuit was part of the metering setup.

From what @Jim2018 has posted, this is the setup he realises he has. I agree though that a local electrician could check this out to see if he or Pure/local distributor need to get involved.

Jim can then use his new heaters whenever he wants

• Jim, just don't use the same electrician as installed your new heaters, he should have sorted this out for you so they could be used in the day
  • Jim, just don't use the same electrician as installed your new heaters, he should have sorted this out for you so they could be used in the day

• On the contrary, call back the original electrician and tell him he didnt finish the job. You expect him to make everything work as it should at no extra cost.
  • On the contrary, call back the original electrician and tell him he didnt finish the job. You expect him to make everything work as it should at no extra cost.

• Thank you for all your input ams advice. The system is definitely Economy 7 and controlled by the meter with no means of controlling by a clock and I will therefore need to change the meter.
  • Thank you for all your input ams advice. The system is definitely Economy 7 and controlled by the meter with no means of controlling by a clock and I will therefore need to change the meter.

• We have tried to contact Pureplanet twice using Wotbot as suggested but no response. Does anyone have any idea how to reach them other than via the Wotbot which does not seem to be working? The weather is definitely getting colder and I have now been referred to the hospital for low blood count and a heart condition - clearly keeping warm is more important than ever!!
  • We have tried to contact Pureplanet twice using Wotbot as suggested but no response. Does anyone have any idea how to reach them other than via the Wotbot which does not seem to be working? The weather is definitely getting colder and I have now been referred to the hospital for low blood count and a heart condition - clearly keeping warm is more important than ever!!

• Hi Jim,
    Sorry to hear about the hospital referral!!
    When you used WattBot,did you type in ‘MESSAGE THE TEAM ‘ and then enter your message? The Pure Planet team could take up to 48 hours to respond.
  • Hi Jim,
    Sorry to hear about the hospital referral!!
    When you used WattBot,did you type in ‘MESSAGE THE TEAM ‘ and then enter your message? The Pure Planet team could take up to 48 hours to respond.

• I'm prepared to be corrected but I thought the idea of Economy 7 was to encourage customers to use their appliances off-peak, not force them to do so, so there is something not right here. Perhaps it was once Economy 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim2018 View Post
    Thank you for all your input ams advice. The system is definitely Economy 7 and controlled by the meter with no means of controlling by a clock and I will therefore need to change the meter.
    Last edited by woz; 15-12-18 at 22:45.
  • I'm prepared to be corrected but I thought the idea of Economy 7 was to encourage customers to use their appliances off-peak, not force them to do so, so there is something not right here. Perhaps it was once Economy 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim2018 View Post
    Thank you for all your input ams advice. The system is definitely Economy 7 and controlled by the meter with no means of controlling by a clock and I will therefore need to change the meter.

• Hmmm as i see it the main fuse for the old night storage heaters has a seperate fuse which only goes live when on e7 and is controlled by time clock on meter. The sparky should of rewired this circuit into the main fuse board thus bypassing the time switch.
  • Hmmm as i see it the main fuse for the old night storage heaters has a seperate fuse which only goes live when on e7 and is controlled by time clock on meter. The sparky should of rewired this circuit into the main fuse board thus bypassing the time switch.

• hmmm, but the poster says the timing is controlled by the meter only.
    I don't however believe that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Hmmm as i see it the main fuse for the old night storage heaters has a seperate fuse which only goes live when on e7 and is controlled by time clock on meter. The sparky should of rewired this circuit into the main fuse board thus bypassing the time switch.
  • hmmm, but the poster says the timing is controlled by the meter only.
    I don't however believe that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Hmmm as i see it the main fuse for the old night storage heaters has a seperate fuse which only goes live when on e7 and is controlled by time clock on meter. The sparky should of rewired this circuit into the main fuse board thus bypassing the time switch.

• Quote Originally Posted by Jim2018 View Post
    We have tried to contact Pureplanet twice using Wotbot as suggested but no response. Does anyone have any idea how to reach them other than via the Wotbot which does not seem to be working? The weather is definitely getting colder and I have now been referred to the hospital for low blood count and a heart condition - clearly keeping warm is more important than ever!!
    Hi @Jim2018
    I've flagged this up with our Member services team.
    Hayley from our team replied on 7 December. Go to your app, make sure you're logged in, and you'll see the reply in the WattBot section.
    It sounds like you have a time switch connected to your meter - that controls when your heating comes on rather than the meter.
    The time switch isn't part of the meter, you might be able to change the times on it yourself.
    If not you'd need an electrician to come out and reconfigure it.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jim2018 View Post
    We have tried to contact Pureplanet twice using Wotbot as suggested but no response. Does anyone have any idea how to reach them other than via the Wotbot which does not seem to be working? The weather is definitely getting colder and I have now been referred to the hospital for low blood count and a heart condition - clearly keeping warm is more important than ever!!
    Hi @Jim2018
    I've flagged this up with our Member services team.
    Hayley from our team replied on 7 December. Go to your app, make sure you're logged in, and you'll see the reply in the WattBot section.
    It sounds like you have a time switch connected to your meter - that controls when your heating comes on rather than the meter.
    The time switch isn't part of the meter, you might be able to change the times on it yourself.
    If not you'd need an electrician to come out and reconfigure it.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​