• Thank you for your answer. That explains it But there are lots of wind farms and hydro up north, these are renewable energy right?, and we are talking about electricity, surely do not need to transport it too far. I am guessing that we have to subsidise the very remote part of scotland. Accept that it's out of PP's control.
  • Thank you for your answer. That explains it But there are lots of wind farms and hydro up north, these are renewable energy right?, and we are talking about electricity, surely do not need to transport it too far. I am guessing that we have to subsidise the very remote part of scotland. Accept that it's out of PP's control.
  • Price rise

Only joined on 7th November thinking it was a fixed deal. Will it cost me an exit fee to go elsewhere?
  • Only joined on 7th November thinking it was a fixed deal. Will it cost me an exit fee to go elsewhere?
  • I'm looking forward to tomorrow when my Pure Planet account starts but it's also the day when I can switch to a cheaper supplier.

I urge everyone to use a comparison site that shows all suppliers not just the ones that compensate the comparison site.

I'm in Yorkshire on the cheapest rate and there are other cheaper companies out there. I've just joined Pure Planet and I've been hit by the big rate rise just after joining, it feels like a switch and bait move to me. There seems to be A LOT of other people on here in the same boat as me. How can there be so many people who have just joined and are complaining?
  • I'm looking forward to tomorrow when my Pure Planet account starts but it's also the day when I can switch to a cheaper supplier.

I urge everyone to use a comparison site that shows all suppliers not just the ones that compensate the comparison site.

I'm in Yorkshire on the cheapest rate and there are other cheaper companies out there. I've just joined Pure Planet and I've been hit by the big rate rise just after joining, it feels like a switch and bait move to me. There seems to be A LOT of other people on here in the same boat as me. How can there be so many people who have just joined and are complaining?
  • Nope no exit fees. The only extra charge will be the higher bills from another supplier. Cant imagine theres any cheaper ones out there.
  • Nope no exit fees. The only extra charge will be the higher bills from another supplier. Cant imagine theres any cheaper ones out there.
  • hi 167
    Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    This doesn't answer my question. At some point, officers of Pure Planet arrived at the decision to increase the price of energy. On what date was the decision signed off, authorised, ratified? Please don't just cut and paste the "official line", please read my question and answer it.
    PP don't have "officers" (unless some of the staff work part time for the Police or some other official body...)
    I don't work for PP so take my reply with a pinch of salt.

I read your question, I usually try to fathom out the purpose of a question before I reply, but with your question I was unable to do that (probably because the question has no purpose in the context of both asking a business about their commercially sensitive decisions, and affecting any outcome of such decisions. )

The answer (or my answer) is that PP don't want to p**s people off by raising prices, so the decision isn't taken lightly.
    I imagine much commercially sensitive discussion went into the strategy of the rise, when it was required and how it should be handled.
    The clue lies in the words commercially sensitive.
    Also I have to ask, what on earth difference does it make if PP decided yesterday or a week ago last Tuesday that price rises would need to be announced now for increase on 15th January? It was a commercial decision based on complex buying and forward buying of energy and their balance sheet.

The warning of an imminent need to increase prices was writ large all over the website, and in the community. Anyone with a modicum of awareness knew there was going to be a price increase. In fact I was surprised they managed to hold off for so long, and to give more than the statutory notice as agreed with Ofgem, both of those actions to the benefit of existing customers.

If they deem to share this information with you (and I sincerely hope they don't) I'm sure it will change absolutely nothing, but maybe I'll be surprised at your reply and you have an incredibly good reason as to why you are entitled to the information and how it will change things for you when you're informed (or not) that it was decided two days before or two weeks before or whenever.
    Last edited by woz; 01-12-18 at 02:10.
  • hi 167
    Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    This doesn't answer my question. At some point, officers of Pure Planet arrived at the decision to increase the price of energy. On what date was the decision signed off, authorised, ratified? Please don't just cut and paste the "official line", please read my question and answer it.
    PP don't have "officers" (unless some of the staff work part time for the Police or some other official body...)
    I don't work for PP so take my reply with a pinch of salt.

I read your question, I usually try to fathom out the purpose of a question before I reply, but with your question I was unable to do that (probably because the question has no purpose in the context of both asking a business about their commercially sensitive decisions, and affecting any outcome of such decisions. )

The answer (or my answer) is that PP don't want to p**s people off by raising prices, so the decision isn't taken lightly.
    I imagine much commercially sensitive discussion went into the strategy of the rise, when it was required and how it should be handled.
    The clue lies in the words commercially sensitive.
    Also I have to ask, what on earth difference does it make if PP decided yesterday or a week ago last Tuesday that price rises would need to be announced now for increase on 15th January? It was a commercial decision based on complex buying and forward buying of energy and their balance sheet.

The warning of an imminent need to increase prices was writ large all over the website, and in the community. Anyone with a modicum of awareness knew there was going to be a price increase. In fact I was surprised they managed to hold off for so long, and to give more than the statutory notice as agreed with Ofgem, both of those actions to the benefit of existing customers.

If they deem to share this information with you (and I sincerely hope they don't) I'm sure it will change absolutely nothing, but maybe I'll be surprised at your reply and you have an incredibly good reason as to why you are entitled to the information and how it will change things for you when you're informed (or not) that it was decided two days before or two weeks before or whenever.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer365 View Post
    After saying in the latest email about managing to hold off any price increase to next year. Did you forget about the increase in October!! Bloody cheeky con artists
    Perhaps PP are working to the Gregorian calendar rather than the one you're working to?
  • Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer365 View Post
    After saying in the latest email about managing to hold off any price increase to next year. Did you forget about the increase in October!! Bloody cheeky con artists
    Perhaps PP are working to the Gregorian calendar rather than the one you're working to?
  • Hi Nigel
    Your rates won't change until 15th Jan so your timing was good.
    Good luck finding another supplier, at least you have a while to look round, but many are or have already increased prices. You'll want to be looking for a fixed price deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Parkinson View Post
    Only joined on 7th November thinking it was a fixed deal. Will it cost me an exit fee to go elsewhere?
  • Hi Nigel
    Your rates won't change until 15th Jan so your timing was good.
    Good luck finding another supplier, at least you have a while to look round, but many are or have already increased prices. You'll want to be looking for a fixed price deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Parkinson View Post
  • Price rises and switching

Literally just joined and then hear about the price increase. Haven't completed my final bill with previous provider as it's still waiting for info from pure planet. So if I now find a cheaper alternative, can I leave pure planet?
  • Literally just joined and then hear about the price increase. Haven't completed my final bill with previous provider as it's still waiting for info from pure planet. So if I now find a cheaper alternative, can I leave pure planet?
  • Ebico trys to help lower income folk with low energy prices cf big 6 that offer lower for more consumption
  • Ebico trys to help lower income folk with low energy prices cf big 6 that offer lower for more consumption
  • Could you tell me how the new rates will be implemented, given that the increase date falls half way through my billing period, do you estimate useage up to the change date, or will you ask for meter readings, so that the billing will be as accurate as possible
    Last edited by Duppy; 01-12-18 at 14:58.
  • Could you tell me how the new rates will be implemented, given that the increase date falls half way through my billing period, do you estimate useage up to the change date, or will you ask for meter readings, so that the billing will be as accurate as possible
  • Hi Nigel
    I am pretty sure Pure Planets energy charges are competitive compared to many other suppliers. I ran a comparison on Money Saving Expert several days ago and, for me, PP are still the best deal financially (with a GREEN ENVIRONMENT outlook).
  • Hi Nigel
    I am pretty sure Pure Planets energy charges are competitive compared to many other suppliers. I ran a comparison on Money Saving Expert several days ago and, for me, PP are still the best deal financially (with a GREEN ENVIRONMENT outlook).
  • hi LG1
    yes there is no penalty for leaving but I think I read somewhere that you have to be with PP for 10 days before you leave.
    (What I'm unclear about is whether that includes the time taken to switch out which is longer than 10 days.)

That said if you find an alternative and switch out it will make no difference to when your final bill from your original provider is processed. PP will still send the readings to be verified and it will take as long as it takes (too long in nearly all cases, but that's a different issue).
    What you should do is talk to your first provider and if you're in reasonable credit with them ask them to reduce the DD to as low as possible.
    Also don't forget the prices don't rise for you until 15 Jan.
  • hi LG1
    yes there is no penalty for leaving but I think I read somewhere that you have to be with PP for 10 days before you leave.
    (What I'm unclear about is whether that includes the time taken to switch out which is longer than 10 days.)

That said if you find an alternative and switch out it will make no difference to when your final bill from your original provider is processed. PP will still send the readings to be verified and it will take as long as it takes (too long in nearly all cases, but that's a different issue).
    What you should do is talk to your first provider and if you're in reasonable credit with them ask them to reduce the DD to as low as possible.
    Also don't forget the prices don't rise for you until 15 Jan.
  • Hi LG1
    WOZ sums it up really! I read recently that wholesale energy costs have risen by approximately 20% this year - PP have held their prices when others have increased theirs immediately and I hope PP will reduce prices if & when wholesale prices go down (not holding my breath).
    I ran a price comparison through Money Saving Expert recently and for me, Pure Planet were still my best supplier.
    Regards
  • Hi LG1
    WOZ sums it up really! I read recently that wholesale energy costs have risen by approximately 20% this year - PP have held their prices when others have increased theirs immediately and I hope PP will reduce prices if & when wholesale prices go down (not holding my breath).
    I ran a price comparison through Money Saving Expert recently and for me, Pure Planet were still my best supplier.
    Regards
  • nearly negates?
    Your old supplier will also increase their rates, and very likely to be higher than PP so your argument is specious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle View Post
    I had a increase from 1st October during my first month and now this.

All in all it nearly negates the entire savings I calculated when I signed up. My old energy supplier is still offering the very same rates I left but not worth going back.
  • nearly negates?
    Your old supplier will also increase their rates, and very likely to be higher than PP so your argument is specious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle View Post
    I had a increase from 1st October during my first month and now this.

All in all it nearly negates the entire savings I calculated when I signed up. My old energy supplier is still offering the very same rates I left but not worth going back.
  • Hi Marc#community..I was so looking forward to joining P.P.# have only 6 days left before my switch..But sadly to say I,LL have to cancel my switch..As from end Nov..I would be charged new tarrif increases..
  • Hi Marc#community..I was so looking forward to joining P.P.# have only 6 days left before my switch..But sadly to say I,LL have to cancel my switch..As from end Nov..I would be charged new tarrif increases..
  • As a very large electricity user and very new to PP obviously I'm not happy about the increases which will cost me a lot more than most of you (around £300 pa) so I'm interested to know where all these 'leavers' are going to go to find a better rate. I hope they will come back on and tell us!
  • As a very large electricity user and very new to PP obviously I'm not happy about the increases which will cost me a lot more than most of you (around £300 pa) so I'm interested to know where all these 'leavers' are going to go to find a better rate. I hope they will come back on and tell us!
  • I too am not sure where the cheap rates are as i still find PP to be the cheapest.
    PP @ 14pence per unit
    SSE @ 16.5 per unit.
    Multiply this by 30000 units is still a £750 saving and thats before sse increase their soon to be announced price rises.
  • I too am not sure where the cheap rates are as i still find PP to be the cheapest.
    PP @ 14pence per unit
    SSE @ 16.5 per unit.
    Multiply this by 30000 units is still a £750 saving and thats before sse increase their soon to be announced price rises.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbrighton View Post
    I’m trying to get my head around your business model, are you a business, a co-op or a charity?
    Will you always be the cheapest? I’m sick of changing supplier all the time and think it’s pathetic that I have to do so in order to keep the rate at its best posssible. Can’t you strive to Make a bit of a cult where in return for loyalty you avoid stinging people after the first year? Not saying you are now but I mean so in a year I don’t have to look elsewhere! Also your refer a friend, rather then Amazon why can’t you apply an account credit?
    Hi @Jamesbrighton
    Welcome to the community.
    We are a private, independent company. Our motivation is not to make massive amounts of money. Our motivation is to help get the UK powered by 100% renewable energy.
    Our model is that we have zero mark-up. We've got one variable tariff, you pay what we pay. We don't make profit on the energy you use.
    So when the cost of energy rises 25% in one year, we unfortunately have to pass on the cost to our Members.
    We have a Membership fee which covers maintenance of your meter, our staffing costs, our systems costs, our low profit margin, VAT. This hasn't increased (in fact we reduced it earlier this year).

Good shout about getting credit instead of Amazon vouchers.
    We know that many other Members would also prefer this. It's something we're working on and when there's an update the community will be first to know!
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbrighton View Post
    I’m trying to get my head around your business model, are you a business, a co-op or a charity?
    Will you always be the cheapest? I’m sick of changing supplier all the time and think it’s pathetic that I have to do so in order to keep the rate at its best posssible. Can’t you strive to Make a bit of a cult where in return for loyalty you avoid stinging people after the first year? Not saying you are now but I mean so in a year I don’t have to look elsewhere! Also your refer a friend, rather then Amazon why can’t you apply an account credit?
    Hi @Jamesbrighton
    We are a private, independent company. Our motivation is not to make massive amounts of money. Our motivation is to help get the UK powered by 100% renewable energy.
    Our model is that we have zero mark-up. We've got one variable tariff, you pay what we pay. We don't make profit on the energy you use.
    So when the cost of energy rises 25% in one year, we unfortunately have to pass on the cost to our Members.
    We have a Membership fee which covers maintenance of your meter, our staffing costs, our systems costs, our low profit margin, VAT. This hasn't increased (in fact we reduced it earlier this year).

Good shout about getting credit instead of Amazon vouchers.
    We know that many other Members would also prefer this. It's something we're working on and when there's an update the community will be first to know!

• Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Parkinson View Post
    Hi @Nigel Parkinson
    Thanks for posting. I've moved your most to this thread about the rate change, to avoid having duplicate replies around the community.
    What made you think it was a fixed deal?
    We've only ever had one variable rate. Sorry to see you go, but as @Jon1 @woz said, no we don't charge exit fees

• Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Parkinson View Post
    Hi @Nigel Parkinson
    Thanks for posting. I've moved your most to this thread about the rate change, to avoid having duplicate replies around the community.
    What made you think it was a fixed deal?
    We've only ever had one variable rate. Sorry to see you go, but as @Jon1 @woz said, no we don't charge exit fees

• Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Hi Marc#community..I was so looking forward to joining P.P.# have only 6 days left before my switch..But sadly to say I,LL have to cancel my switch..As from end Nov..I would be charged new tarrif increases..
    Hi @Eileen
    If your switch is already underway, then the rate change for you won't start until 15 January.

• Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Hi Marc#community..I was so looking forward to joining P.P.# have only 6 days left before my switch..But sadly to say I,LL have to cancel my switch..As from end Nov..I would be charged new tarrif increases..
    Hi @Eileen
    If your switch is already underway, then the rate change for you won't start until 15 January.