• I just wonder where this is all going. Despite switching all my bulbs to LED, reducing thermostat down and following numerous other expert advice, my energy prices continue to increase at an unsustainable rate. To heat and power a modern 5 bedroom house is now costing around £1800 a year. This is getting crazy and I really do worry about those on lower incomes and the vulnerable during winter months because I cannot see this getting better. I appreciate Pure Planet cannot help the price rises and one of the reasons I use them is to support renewable energy. I just wanted to let off a bit of steam at this latest rise..
  • I just wonder where this is all going. Despite switching all my bulbs to LED, reducing thermostat down and following numerous other expert advice, my energy prices continue to increase at an unsustainable rate. To heat and power a modern 5 bedroom house is now costing around £1800 a year. This is getting crazy and I really do worry about those on lower incomes and the vulnerable during winter months because I cannot see this getting better. I appreciate Pure Planet cannot help the price rises and one of the reasons I use them is to support renewable energy. I just wanted to let off a bit of steam at this latest rise..
  • I never noticed that turns out my increase is 10.82% not 8.5% like it reads above.
  • I never noticed that turns out my increase is 10.82% not 8.5% like it reads above.
  • Hi Marc - thanks for that. You’re still the cheapest by far (for me anyway).
    Quick question: the oil price has recently crashed by about 30%. Is the cost of gas and electricity linked in any way to the oil price? (I have heard that they are) And if so are we likely to see our tariffs changing again in the not too distant future (either up or down)? Cheers
  • Hi Marc - thanks for that. You’re still the cheapest by far (for me anyway).
    Quick question: the oil price has recently crashed by about 30%. Is the cost of gas and electricity linked in any way to the oil price? (I have heard that they are) And if so are we likely to see our tariffs changing again in the not too distant future (either up or down)? Cheers
  • Quote Originally Posted by MattC76 View Post
    Hi Marc - thanks for that. You’re still the cheapest by far (for me anyway).
    It’s not necessarily based on price of oil that may or may not drop its more around the non-commodity charges that make up the majority of an energy bill that’s increasing
    It’s not necessarily based on price of oil that may or may not drop its more around the non-commodity charges that make up the majority of an energy bill that’s increasing
  • Here is a chart showing the percentage increase in energy kWh costs only.
    This does not take into account the membership fee hence the percentage increase shown below is higher than quoted by PP as their quoted percentage includes the membership fee which has not increased.

Name:  PP-Jan2019-increase-crop.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  82.4 KB

- - - Updated - - -

ahhh that's the problem then, you need to reduce the steam pressure - that will use less energy...
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemosaic View Post
    I just wonder where this is all going. Despite switching all my bulbs to LED, reducing thermostat down and following numerous other expert advice, my energy prices continue to increase at an unsustainable rate. To heat and power a modern 5 bedroom house is now costing around £1800 a year. This is getting crazy and I really do worry about those on lower incomes and the vulnerable during winter months because I cannot see this getting better. I appreciate Pure Planet cannot help the price rises and one of the reasons I use them is to support renewable energy. I just wanted to let off a bit of steam at this latest rise..
  • Here is a chart showing the percentage increase in energy kWh costs only.
    This does not take into account the membership fee hence the percentage increase shown below is higher than quoted by PP as their quoted percentage includes the membership fee which has not increased.

Name:  PP-Jan2019-increase-crop.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  82.4 KB

- - - Updated - - -

ahhh that's the problem then, you need to reduce the steam pressure - that will use less energy...
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemosaic View Post
    I just wonder where this is all going. Despite switching all my bulbs to LED, reducing thermostat down and following numerous other expert advice, my energy prices continue to increase at an unsustainable rate. To heat and power a modern 5 bedroom house is now costing around £1800 a year. This is getting crazy and I really do worry about those on lower incomes and the vulnerable during winter months because I cannot see this getting better. I appreciate Pure Planet cannot help the price rises and one of the reasons I use them is to support renewable energy. I just wanted to let off a bit of steam at this latest rise..
  • Quote Originally Posted by papekani View Post
    Well done on the transparency, from a new member. Makes a refreshing change. Only thing I think you should have done was told customers in the email what their percentage increase was rather than quoting some "average". That would be been more honest in my opinion.
    Hi @papekani
    Thanks for the feedback, it's good to hear that we've done well on the transparency.
    Your other point about what's in the email.
    The email shows the increase for average national users, but also your account info, under 'Forecast annual cost' which explains our forecast for your energy usage, and what they will cost.
    It looks like this example:

Name:  Forecast annual cost in the email.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  50.7 KB

Have you had this info in the email from us?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

Well done on the transparency, from a new member. Makes a refreshing change. Only thing I think you should have done was told customers in the email what their percentage increase was rather than quoting some "average". That would be been more honest in my opinion.
    Hi @papekani
    Thanks for the feedback, it's good to hear that we've done well on the transparency.
    Your other point about what's in the email.
    The email shows the increase for average national users, but also your account info, under 'Forecast annual cost' which explains our forecast for your energy usage, and what they will cost.
    It looks like this example:

Name:  Forecast annual cost in the email.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  50.7 KB

Have you had this info in the email from us?

• Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    Good to hear that Marc. From your reply would I be correct in saying your letter (email) quoting your rates, which I accepted, is regarded as a legal contract?

I've no beef with the rates going up, or preferably down, after I've joined. PP are still saving my a small fortune compared to anyone else.
    Good morning @Oakbank
    Yes if you joined on that rate, that's the rate you're on. For existing Members the rate increase starts 15 January.
    You'd only be affected if you started your switch yesterday

• Quote Originally Posted by Oakbank View Post
    Good to hear that Marc. From your reply would I be correct in saying your letter (email) quoting your rates, which I accepted, is regarded as a legal contract?

I've no beef with the rates going up, or preferably down, after I've joined. PP are still saving my a small fortune compared to anyone else.
    Good morning @Oakbank
    Yes if you joined on that rate, that's the rate you're on. For existing Members the rate increase starts 15 January.
    You'd only be affected if you started your switch yesterday

• Marc, no I didn't receive an annual forecast cost in my email. Maybe it's because I'm a new customer with no reading history yet.

That wasn't really my point though. Rather than quoting an average percentage increase of 8.5%, I think you should have quoted the actual increase for each customer (e.g. for me it is 10.6%). You were able to quote the old and new rates, so this would have been very easy for you to do, and to not do so leaves me feeling that you're not actually being as transparent as you make out.

On a separate issue, I'm really concerned about your "100% renewable electricity" claim, which is the main reason I signed up. Your home page states "Our energy is 100% renewable". Is it or not?
  • Marc, no I didn't receive an annual forecast cost in my email. Maybe it's because I'm a new customer with no reading history yet.

That wasn't really my point though. Rather than quoting an average percentage increase of 8.5%, I think you should have quoted the actual increase for each customer (e.g. for me it is 10.6%). You were able to quote the old and new rates, so this would have been very easy for you to do, and to not do so leaves me feeling that you're not actually being as transparent as you make out.

On a separate issue, I'm really concerned about your "100% renewable electricity" claim, which is the main reason I signed up. Your home page states "Our energy is 100% renewable". Is it or not?
    Hi @MattC76
    That might be a quick question, but it's not a quick answer
    It's simplest if I point you in the direction of our blog. Every quarter we post about what's up with the wholesale energy market.
    Here's the latest post from November, which I also summarised in the community, here.
    In short, yes. The price of oil does impact the wholesale energy market. But when oil prices fluctuate, it creates market uncertainty. Which isn't good. I recommend looking at the blog post, as it has input from our energy buying team - they know a lot about this stuff.

Hi @MattC76
    That might be a quick question, but it's not a quick answer
    It's simplest if I point you in the direction of our blog. Every quarter we post about what's up with the wholesale energy market.
    Here's the latest post from November, which I also summarised in the community, here.
    In short, yes. The price of oil does impact the wholesale energy market. But when oil prices fluctuate, it creates market uncertainty. Which isn't good. I recommend looking at the blog post, as it has input from our energy buying team - they know a lot about this stuff.

• Only
    Just joined!!!

Must of recommended you to all my
    Social media... I’ll be updating now and telling them not to join!!!

Will also be leaving! You can’t trust anyone!
  • Only
    Just joined!!!

Must of recommended you to all my
    Social media... I’ll be updating now and telling them not to join!!!

Will also be leaving! You can’t trust anyone!
  • Be realist prices are not going to go down. I’ve been with them for 4 days and a price hike. How do I leave??
  • Be realist prices are not going to go down. I’ve been with them for 4 days and a price hike. How do I leave??
  • But where are you going to leave to? You surely joined PP because they were the cheapest when you did a comparison. This increase isn’t likely to make any other provider cheaper. If you prefer to have a fixed rate and pay the extra for that privilege, another provider is probably for you.
  • But where are you going to leave to? You surely joined PP because they were the cheapest when you did a comparison. This increase isn’t likely to make any other provider cheaper. If you prefer to have a fixed rate and pay the extra for that privilege, another provider is probably for you.
  • After saying in the latest email about managing to hold off any price increase to next year. Did you forget about the increase in October!! Bloody cheeky con artists
  • After saying in the latest email about managing to hold off any price increase to next year. Did you forget about the increase in October!! Bloody cheeky con artists
    Hi @papekani
    Yes it is
    What makes you think it isn't?

Hi @papekani
    Yes it is
    What makes you think it isn't?

• Quote Originally Posted by Jameschef View Post
    Only
    Just joined!!!
    It's not personal @Jameschef
    On whatever date the price changes takes place, there's always going to be someone who's just joined us.
    With this price change we're still very competitive

• Quote Originally Posted by Jameschef View Post
    Only
    Just joined!!!
    It's not personal @Jameschef
    On whatever date the price changes takes place, there's always going to be someone who's just joined us.
    With this price change we're still very competitive

• This post: https://community.purepla.net/thread...ll=1#post15433

Do you guarantee that every unit of electricity your customers use gets replaced by a unit of renewably sourced electricity? I think it would be really good to explain what you actually mean by "100% renewable". OVO does this particularly well, I think.
  • This post: https://community.purepla.net/thread...ll=1#post15433

Do you guarantee that every unit of electricity your customers use gets replaced by a unit of renewably sourced electricity? I think it would be really good to explain what you actually mean by "100% renewable". OVO does this particularly well, I think.
    This post: https://community.purepla.net/thread...ll=1#post15433

Thanks @papekani
    It's great to see that you really care about this.
    What confuses people is that while we buy only renewable (you see some of our renewable sources on our website) this goes into a energy market which is still dominated by dirty energy.
    That means the energy which ends up in your home may contain some dirty energy as well as clean.
    Our mission is to make the market 100% renewable. You're helping us to make that happen. All our electricity is backed by Renewable Energy Guarantees of Origin and all our gas is 100% carbon offset.
    Thanks for the feedback that we can explain this better.

This post: https://community.purepla.net/thread...ll=1#post15433

Thanks @papekani
    It's great to see that you really care about this.
    What confuses people is that while we buy only renewable (you see some of our renewable sources on our website) this goes into a energy market which is still dominated by dirty energy.
    That means the energy which ends up in your home may contain some dirty energy as well as clean.
    Our mission is to make the market 100% renewable. You're helping us to make that happen. All our electricity is backed by Renewable Energy Guarantees of Origin and all our gas is 100% carbon offset.
    Thanks for the feedback that we can explain this better.

• Thanks Marc. So, just to clarify, you guarantee that every unit of electricity your customers use gets replaced by a unit of renewably sourced electricity?
  • Thanks Marc. So, just to clarify, you guarantee that every unit of electricity your customers use gets replaced by a unit of renewably sourced electricity?
    Thanks Marc. So, just to clarify, you guarantee that every unit of electricity your customers use gets replaced by a unit of renewably sourced electricity?
    Hi @papekani

YES!!!

Thanks Marc. So, just to clarify, you guarantee that every unit of electricity your customers use gets replaced by a unit of renewably sourced electricity?
    Hi @papekani

YES!!!

• Members rate increase

Only joined this month and already a £58 yearly increase.

Not a good start at all.

Regards
    A very unhappy new customer
  • Only joined this month and already a £58 yearly increase.

Not a good start at all.

Regards
    A very unhappy new customer