• Announcing Members’ rate increase from 15 January 2019

Hi all

We’ve announced a change to our Members’ rate - that’s the per unit rate you pay for your energy - and I wanted to give you more information here in the Community.

We know that nobody likes a price rise. Wholesale prices have risen by 25 per cent throughout 2018. They have been higher than the market expected, for longer than expected.

Because we buy your energy in advance, we’ve been able avoid an increase for existing Members until after Christmas.
    We’re letting you know six weeks in advance to give you time to plan.

When do the new rates take effect?
    The change is effective from 15 January 2019 for all existing Members. New Members joining us from today - 27 November - will be quoted and join at the new rates.

What are the new rates?

Name:  Pure Planet prices 27 November 2018.JPG
Views: 1234
Size:  75.8 KB

For a typical household using both electricity and gas, the average cost will rise by 8.4 per cent for the dual fuel medium users. The increase for single gas users is 7.7 per cent, and for single electricity user is 8.5 per cent.
    This means the average bill for medium use dual fuel users will increase from £921 to £998 a year.
    All our Members will get an email over the next few days with the detail about how their annual energy cost is affected.
    We are not changing any Direct Debits.

Why are we putting our prices up?
    Due to wholesale market prices rising in the last few months, we need to increase your Member’s rate.
    As you know, our Members’ rate is based on wholesale energy costs. There’s zero markup on the energy you use. You pay no more than we pay.
    Wholesale prices have risen by 25 per cent throughout 2018.

With the new tariff how does Pure Planet compare to other suppliers?
    Name:  How Pure Planet compares November 2018.png
Views: 1283
Size:  1.17 MB

Why do different regions of the UK have different rates?
    The difference in the cost across each geographical region is down to the cost of transporting gas and electricity to your home.
    The costs are determined and applied by your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) and we pass these on at cost.
    We don’t make money on the transport costs of getting energy to your home.

When did we last put up our prices?
    Against a whole energy cost increase of 25 per cent in 2018, we have put up our prices twice, by 5.6% in March 2018 and by 5.63% in October 2018, for average dual fuel users.
    We also reduced our Membership fee in May 2018 from £10 per fuel a month to £8.50 per month.

Will prices go up again in the future?
    Our tariff is variable, which means our prices can go down as well as up. If prices go down we’ll pass them on to Members immediately. Having a variable tariff means that all our Members are on a fair, competitive rate - based on wholesale prices.

How does the Pure Planet tariff work?
    We have one tariff for all our customers, so you’re always on our best rate.
    Our Members’ rate is the per kilowatt (kWh) unit rate. It’s a pass through rate, based on wholesale costs, which you pay what we pay for your energy. There’s zero markup.
    Our Membership fee is the standing charge. It’s the daily rate calculated and collected in 12 equal monthly installments each year. It covers: Your meter maintenance, our people costs, operating and systems costs, our low profit margin and VAT.
    Our Membership fee is £8.50 a month per fuel.
    For dual fuel members we have a dual fuel discount worth £30 a year.

Where do I find my tariff information?
    In your Pure Planet app, tap My account > Balance & Payments to see your tariff.

Why didn’t you warn me about a price rise before I switched?
    In the last few weeks, we’ve made a statement on our website and the price comparison sites: “The wholesale market has been rising in recent months, so it's likely that we'll need to increase our Members' rate in the near future.”
    We also posted a thread in the community last month about a possible rise.
    We’ve got more information about the rate change on our blog. You can also read our latest quarterly blog post about the wholesale energy market.

Got any questions? Let’s talk about them below.

Last edited by Marc; 27-11-18 at 09:40.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet.

• Hi all

We’ve announced a change to our Members’ rate - that’s the per unit rate you pay for your energy - and I wanted to give you more information here in the Community.

We know that nobody likes a price rise. Wholesale prices have risen by 25 per cent throughout 2018. They have been higher than the market expected, for longer than expected.

Because we buy your energy in advance, we’ve been able avoid an increase for existing Members until after Christmas.
    We’re letting you know six weeks in advance to give you time to plan.

When do the new rates take effect?
    The change is effective from 15 January 2019 for all existing Members. New Members joining us from today - 27 November - will be quoted and join at the new rates.

What are the new rates?

Name:  Pure Planet prices 27 November 2018.JPG
Views: 1234
Size:  75.8 KB

For a typical household using both electricity and gas, the average cost will rise by 8.4 per cent for the dual fuel medium users. The increase for single gas users is 7.7 per cent, and for single electricity user is 8.5 per cent.
    This means the average bill for medium use dual fuel users will increase from £921 to £998 a year.
    All our Members will get an email over the next few days with the detail about how their annual energy cost is affected.
    We are not changing any Direct Debits.

Why are we putting our prices up?
    Due to wholesale market prices rising in the last few months, we need to increase your Member’s rate.
    As you know, our Members’ rate is based on wholesale energy costs. There’s zero markup on the energy you use. You pay no more than we pay.
    Wholesale prices have risen by 25 per cent throughout 2018.

With the new tariff how does Pure Planet compare to other suppliers?
    Name:  How Pure Planet compares November 2018.png
Views: 1283
Size:  1.17 MB

Why do different regions of the UK have different rates?
    The difference in the cost across each geographical region is down to the cost of transporting gas and electricity to your home.
    The costs are determined and applied by your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) and we pass these on at cost.
    We don’t make money on the transport costs of getting energy to your home.

When did we last put up our prices?
    Against a whole energy cost increase of 25 per cent in 2018, we have put up our prices twice, by 5.6% in March 2018 and by 5.63% in October 2018, for average dual fuel users.
    We also reduced our Membership fee in May 2018 from £10 per fuel a month to £8.50 per month.

Will prices go up again in the future?
    Our tariff is variable, which means our prices can go down as well as up. If prices go down we’ll pass them on to Members immediately. Having a variable tariff means that all our Members are on a fair, competitive rate - based on wholesale prices.

How does the Pure Planet tariff work?
    We have one tariff for all our customers, so you’re always on our best rate.
    Our Members’ rate is the per kilowatt (kWh) unit rate. It’s a pass through rate, based on wholesale costs, which you pay what we pay for your energy. There’s zero markup.
    Our Membership fee is the standing charge. It’s the daily rate calculated and collected in 12 equal monthly installments each year. It covers: Your meter maintenance, our people costs, operating and systems costs, our low profit margin and VAT.
    Our Membership fee is £8.50 a month per fuel.
    For dual fuel members we have a dual fuel discount worth £30 a year.

Where do I find my tariff information?
    In your Pure Planet app, tap My account > Balance & Payments to see your tariff.

Why didn’t you warn me about a price rise before I switched?
    In the last few weeks, we’ve made a statement on our website and the price comparison sites: “The wholesale market has been rising in recent months, so it's likely that we'll need to increase our Members' rate in the near future.”
    We also posted a thread in the community last month about a possible rise.
    We’ve got more information about the rate change on our blog. You can also read our latest quarterly blog post about the wholesale energy market.

Got any questions? Let’s talk about them below.

• I recently referred someone and my app says it was successful and that you had emailed me my voucher. I have not received it. Also unhappy that you didn't use notification facility via app to give notice of price increase
  • I recently referred someone and my app says it was successful and that you had emailed me my voucher. I have not received it. Also unhappy that you didn't use notification facility via app to give notice of price increase
  • Day 4 of being a PP customer and I’m told members price is increasing......nice
  • Day 4 of being a PP customer and I’m told members price is increasing......nice
  • I am on a fixed rate of 12.18 pence per kwh for a year, how can you now say you are going to increase this
    fred Nelson
  • I am on a fixed rate of 12.18 pence per kwh for a year, how can you now say you are going to increase this
    fred Nelson
  • Quote Originally Posted by Bax View Post
    Day 4 of being a PP customer and I’m told members price is increasing......nice
    I've started today.....
    I've started today.....
  • My switch is completing in 4 days, I was informed from the start that prices were going to rise soon so no surprise. They have risen to £65 more per year for fuel cost of last supplier but the service charge is £140 + less per year with you so I'm still smiling and very happy to join you. Just slightly gutted that living in North Yorkshire we get classed as North East not the cheaper Yorkshire, wish I didn't know that 😂
    Last edited by JennyR68; 27-11-18 at 14:30.
  • My switch is completing in 4 days, I was informed from the start that prices were going to rise soon so no surprise. They have risen to £65 more per year for fuel cost of last supplier but the service charge is £140 + less per year with you so I'm still smiling and very happy to join you. Just slightly gutted that living in North Yorkshire we get classed as North East not the cheaper Yorkshire, wish I didn't know that 😂
  • I'm curious. When would this information have been sent o individual customers please?
  • I'm curious. When would this information have been sent o individual customers please?
  • I was accepted on the old cheaper rates, so I am expecting you to honour that rate?
  • I was accepted on the old cheaper rates, so I am expecting you to honour that rate?
  • Day 1. Price increase ..... sheesh :-(
  • Day 1. Price increase ..... sheesh :-(
  • Quote Originally Posted by fred Nelson View Post
    I am on a fixed rate of 12.18 pence per kwh for a year, how can you now say you are going to increase this
    fred Nelson
    Hi @fred Nelson
    Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting
    We don't have a fixed rate. What gave you that idea?
    We've only ever had one, simple tariff. It's variable, which means rates can move up and down at any time, but we aim to keep price changes to a minimum

• Quote Originally Posted by fred Nelson View Post
    I am on a fixed rate of 12.18 pence per kwh for a year, how can you now say you are going to increase this
    fred Nelson
    Hi @fred Nelson
    Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting
    We don't have a fixed rate. What gave you that idea?
    We've only ever had one, simple tariff. It's variable, which means rates can move up and down at any time, but we aim to keep price changes to a minimum
    Quote Originally Posted by billysally208 View Post
    I've started today.....

Hi @Bax and @billysally208
    I understand it's frustrating because you've just joined us.
    We've one, simple tariff that's variable - it can go up as well as down.
    And when it does someone, somewhere will have just joined us... so it's nothing personal.
    Even after this change, we're still extremely competitive so I hope you'll decide to stay.

I've started today.....

Hi @Bax and @billysally208
    I understand it's frustrating because you've just joined us.
    We've one, simple tariff that's variable - it can go up as well as down.
    And when it does someone, somewhere will have just joined us... so it's nothing personal.
    Even after this change, we're still extremely competitive so I hope you'll decide to stay.
  • Quote Originally Posted by JennyR68 View Post
    My switch is completing in 4 days, I was informed from the start that prices were going to rise soon so no surprise. They have risen to £65 more per year for fuel cost of last supplier but the service charge is £140 + less per year with you so I'm still smiling and very happy to join you.
    Welcome to the community @JennyR68
    Nice one for getting involved

• Quote Originally Posted by JennyR68 View Post
    My switch is completing in 4 days, I was informed from the start that prices were going to rise soon so no surprise. They have risen to £65 more per year for fuel cost of last supplier but the service charge is £140 + less per year with you so I'm still smiling and very happy to join you.
    Welcome to the community @JennyR68
    Nice one for getting involved
  • Quote Originally Posted by mikemikes View Post
    I'm curious. When would this information have been sent o individual customers please?
    Hi @mikemikes

• Quote Originally Posted by mikemikes View Post
    I'm curious. When would this information have been sent o individual customers please?
    Hi @mikemikes
  • Quote Originally Posted by Lloydy View Post
    I was accepted on the old cheaper rates, so I am expecting you to honour that rate?
    Hi @Lloydy
    Welcome to the community!
    Thanks for posting.
    Do you mean you've already joined us and you're counting down to your switch? If so, yes

I was accepted on the old cheaper rates, so I am expecting you to honour that rate?
    Hi @Lloydy
    Thanks for posting.
    Do you mean you've already joined us and you're counting down to your switch? If so, yes
  • Quote Originally Posted by Sis View Post
    Day 1. Price increase ..... sheesh :-(
    Hi @Sis
    Nothing personal. Someone, somewhere will be affected by bad timing, whatever we do.
    We did make it clear on our website, blog and here in the community that prices were likely to go up.
    We still have one of the most competitive tariffs on the market, and you really are making a difference by using 100% renewable electricity and 100% carbon offset gas.

• Quote Originally Posted by Sis View Post
    Day 1. Price increase ..... sheesh :-(
    Hi @Sis
    Nothing personal. Someone, somewhere will be affected by bad timing, whatever we do.
    We did make it clear on our website, blog and here in the community that prices were likely to go up.
    We still have one of the most competitive tariffs on the market, and you really are making a difference by using 100% renewable electricity and 100% carbon offset gas.
  • Well done on the transparency, from a new member. Makes a refreshing change. Only thing I think you should have done was told customers in the email what their percentage increase was rather than quoting some "average". That would be been more honest in my opinion.
  • Well done on the transparency, from a new member. Makes a refreshing change. Only thing I think you should have done was told customers in the email what their percentage increase was rather than quoting some "average". That would be been more honest in my opinion.
  • Lower costs = less admin time and that's a payoff.
    I think some peeps are joining up and referring peeps and all this voucher stuff perhaps takes away from resolving joining issues. But I guess PP need to keep up the momentum and grow which results in admin time issues..it's an industry catch 22 that's affects all.
  • Lower costs = less admin time and that's a payoff.
    I think some peeps are joining up and referring peeps and all this voucher stuff perhaps takes away from resolving joining issues. But I guess PP need to keep up the momentum and grow which results in admin time issues..it's an industry catch 22 that's affects all.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @Lloydy
    Thanks for posting.

Good to hear that Marc. From your reply would I be correct in saying your letter (email) quoting your rates, which I accepted, is regarded as a legal contract?

I've no beef with the rates going up, or preferably down, after I've joined. PP are still saving my a small fortune compared to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @Lloydy
    Thanks for posting.

Good to hear that Marc. From your reply would I be correct in saying your letter (email) quoting your rates, which I accepted, is regarded as a legal contract?

I've no beef with the rates going up, or preferably down, after I've joined. PP are still saving my a small fortune compared to anyone else.
  • Just done the sums for my estimated usage and it still justifies my "switch to Pure" decision compared to a fixed deal

Hopefully that will be it for the winter now? We can hope
  • Just done the sums for my estimated usage and it still justifies my "switch to Pure" decision compared to a fixed deal

Hopefully that will be it for the winter now? We can hope
  • hi editigertony
    the app does not support notifications (yet), if your voucher doesn’t appear over the next few days head off to help in the app and message the team. T&cs state a minimum of 14 days notice for a price increase, much more than that has been given and there was s warning writ large on both the website and in the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by edintigertony View Post
    I recently referred someone and my app says it was successful and that you had emailed me my voucher. I have not received it. Also unhappy that you didn't use notification facility via app to give notice of price increase
    - - - Updated - - -

hi fred, you are not on a fixed rate for a year, the tariff is variable with a 14 day notice min of changes. Who told you it was fixed for a year?
    Quote Originally Posted by fred Nelson View Post
    fred Nelson
    - - - Updated - - -

well at least you got a fairly long notice period - that was lucky!
    I've started today.....
    - - - Updated - - -

it will be sent over the next few days, pp are only obliged to give 14 days notice but have given longer for existing customers
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemikes View Post
  • hi editigertony
    the app does not support notifications (yet), if your voucher doesn’t appear over the next few days head off to help in the app and message the team. T&cs state a minimum of 14 days notice for a price increase, much more than that has been given and there was s warning writ large on both the website and in the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by edintigertony View Post
    I recently referred someone and my app says it was successful and that you had emailed me my voucher. I have not received it. Also unhappy that you didn't use notification facility via app to give notice of price increase
    - - - Updated - - -

hi fred, you are not on a fixed rate for a year, the tariff is variable with a 14 day notice min of changes. Who told you it was fixed for a year?
    Quote Originally Posted by fred Nelson View Post
    fred Nelson
    - - - Updated - - -

well at least you got a fairly long notice period - that was lucky!
    I've started today.....
    - - - Updated - - -

it will be sent over the next few days, pp are only obliged to give 14 days notice but have given longer for existing customers
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemikes View Post