• I have 1st gen smart meters from SSE. Can you simply switch to these meters?

I have 1st gen smart meters from SSE and have just started a switch. I know the smart display won’t work but can you simply switch to these meters without having to come and change them over? We also have a solar boost box so I don’t want to have to change the meters themselves - when SSE installed the smart meters they didn’t connect the boost box up again correctly so we had to get the solar company back in to rewire it. Can I confirm that switching doesn’t involve and meter changes and it’s only the digital display that won’t work? Thx
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • I have 1st gen smart meters from SSE and have just started a switch. I know the smart display won’t work but can you simply switch to these meters without having to come and change them over? We also have a solar boost box so I don’t want to have to change the meters themselves - when SSE installed the smart meters they didn’t connect the boost box up again correctly so we had to get the solar company back in to rewire it. Can I confirm that switching doesn’t involve and meter changes and it’s only the digital display that won’t work? Thx
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hi @Richburrough, yes, it will become "dumb" i.e. unable to communicate with Pure, but does not need to be changed. You will just need to manually read the meters each month and send them via the Pure app. I'm not sure about the solar boost box though, anyone else?
  • Hi @Richburrough, yes, it will become "dumb" i.e. unable to communicate with Pure, but does not need to be changed. You will just need to manually read the meters each month and send them via the Pure app. I'm not sure about the solar boost box though, anyone else?

• Your smart display continues to work too. Including for meter readings!! It is zeroed in terms of cost as the unit cost is not updated from zero.
    Surely there should be a facility to update manually or remotely.
  • Your smart display continues to work too. Including for meter readings!! It is zeroed in terms of cost as the unit cost is not updated from zero.
    Surely there should be a facility to update manually or remotely.

• Quote Originally Posted by JAR View Post
    .....Surely there should be a facility to update manually or remotely.
    You would of thought so I quite agree, however, the industry cannot / will not do it. So the way forward does seem to be SMET2.
  • Quote Originally Posted by JAR View Post
    .....Surely there should be a facility to update manually or remotely.
    You would of thought so I quite agree, however, the industry cannot / will not do it. So the way forward does seem to be SMET2.

• The smart meter installers continue to milk the system. I've actually had two SM1 meters fitted within 1 yr. EDF and SSE. And we all pay for this waste thro the surcharges added to our bills. No doubt I'll get a mk2 version also.
  • The smart meter installers continue to milk the system. I've actually had two SM1 meters fitted within 1 yr. EDF and SSE. And we all pay for this waste thro the surcharges added to our bills. No doubt I'll get a mk2 version also.