• 'Metre readings lower than expected'

Hi,

I know how to read my gas and electricity metre. However this is the second time that I have tried to input the metre readings when requested exactly as they are printed on the gas and electric boxes and I have received the message 'readings lower than expected' with a prompt to re-check and re-type.

Last estimated electricity reading:8982
    Current one:9145

Last gas reading:3239
    Current one:3373

My last reading shows an estimate which is different to the one I gave so im assuming the readings were estimated for me.

I have attached pictures of my readings directly from the boxes taken yesterday for your reference. Please advice how to proceed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Hi,

I know how to read my gas and electricity metre. However this is the second time that I have tried to input the metre readings when requested exactly as they are printed on the gas and electric boxes and I have received the message 'readings lower than expected' with a prompt to re-check and re-type.

Last estimated electricity reading:8982
    Current one:9145

Last gas reading:3239
    Current one:3373

My last reading shows an estimate which is different to the one I gave so im assuming the readings were estimated for me.

I have attached pictures of my readings directly from the boxes taken yesterday for your reference. Please advice how to proceed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hello energy.
    Yes it does this for some weird reason. Some calculation based on past readings and usage is made and this is why it says higher or lower than expected. Provided what your entering is correct then it is nothing to worry about.
    The reading you give today will show in the app and on your statement. As for the estimate on your statement,if you give readings today and get your statement on th 20th for example then todays reading will be estimated up to account for usage from today up until the 20th. Does that make any sence.
  • Hello energy.
    Yes it does this for some weird reason. Some calculation based on past readings and usage is made and this is why it says higher or lower than expected. Provided what your entering is correct then it is nothing to worry about.
    The reading you give today will show in the app and on your statement. As for the estimate on your statement,if you give readings today and get your statement on th 20th for example then todays reading will be estimated up to account for usage from today up until the 20th. Does that make any sence.

• The reason this happens is that the software is designed to trap errors made by human fingers, but the software is very crudely written and doesn’t learn (or doesn’t appear to learn)
    The software has already decided that you were/are likely to use a certain amount of energy in the time from your last accepted reading, so when you put in a figure that’s lower by a certain programmed amount or percentage (not sure which) it says “hey, it’s possible you may have mistyped, i’ll warn you just in case” In a perfect world it would both learn your pattern of use and look at the average daily temperature in your area but I doubt it does that.
    That said it largely does do its job in preventing errors being made, but with consequences that trap some genuine readings too. Perhaps it should be made clear in the app that all it’s asking is that you double check before you enter the reading.
  • The reason this happens is that the software is designed to trap errors made by human fingers, but the software is very crudely written and doesn’t learn (or doesn’t appear to learn)
    The software has already decided that you were/are likely to use a certain amount of energy in the time from your last accepted reading, so when you put in a figure that’s lower by a certain programmed amount or percentage (not sure which) it says “hey, it’s possible you may have mistyped, i’ll warn you just in case” In a perfect world it would both learn your pattern of use and look at the average daily temperature in your area but I doubt it does that.
    That said it largely does do its job in preventing errors being made, but with consequences that trap some genuine readings too. Perhaps it should be made clear in the app that all it’s asking is that you double check before you enter the reading.

• (Blimey @woz, that's a good reply at that time of the morning - Proper night owl )
  • (Blimey @woz, that's a good reply at that time of the morning - Proper night owl )

• I was rather pleased with myself when the app told me my readings were lower than expected. I must be using less energy and saving more money - thanks PP! 👍☺
  • I was rather pleased with myself when the app told me my readings were lower than expected. I must be using less energy and saving more money - thanks PP! 👍☺

• Hi @Scubaseahorse, when you got this message, as a matter of interest, could you then still "submit" them?
    Last edited by Gil; 18-11-18 at 10:13.
  • Hi @Scubaseahorse, when you got this message, as a matter of interest, could you then still "submit" them?

• Quote Originally Posted by dgilbert2 View Post
    Hi @Scubaseahorse, when you got this message, as a matter of interest, could you then still "submit" them?
    Yes, I just clicked submit with no problem at all. The app must have to work to certain parameters, it can't know everyone's exact usage, and I think that's just a small reminder to make sure we've got it right, for our own accuracy.
  • Quote Originally Posted by dgilbert2 View Post
    Hi @Scubaseahorse, when you got this message, as a matter of interest, could you then still "submit" them?
    Yes, I just clicked submit with no problem at all. The app must have to work to certain parameters, it can't know everyone's exact usage, and I think that's just a small reminder to make sure we've got it right, for our own accuracy.

• Makes sense, thanks for the update @Scubaseahorse
  • Makes sense, thanks for the update @Scubaseahorse

• Yeah same here, it tells me every month, but can still submit 👍. Just a precaution 👏

yeah I’m thinking you’re a total insomniac Woz 🦉👀😂
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Yeah same here, it tells me every month, but can still submit 👍. Just a precaution 👏

yeah I’m thinking you’re a total insomniac Woz 🦉👀😂
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN

• I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep, what better way than to post on here! Worked like a charmName:  zzz.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  1.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Yeah same here, it tells me every month, but can still submit ������. Just a precaution ������

yeah I’m thinking you’re a total insomniac Woz ���������������� �
  • I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep, what better way than to post on here! Worked like a charmName:  zzz.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Yeah same here, it tells me every month, but can still submit ������. Just a precaution ������

yeah I’m thinking you’re a total insomniac Woz ���������������� �

• It would be good to be able to respond to "usage is less than we expected" to put PP's mind at rest. When we changed to PP and at the same time we fitted a new (more efficient boiler) and addressed a few other heat issues.
  • It would be good to be able to respond to "usage is less than we expected" to put PP's mind at rest. When we changed to PP and at the same time we fitted a new (more efficient boiler) and addressed a few other heat issues.

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep, what better way than to post on here! Worked like a charmName:  zzz.jpg
    Hi WOZ, looking at the times of some of your posts, you have trouble going to sleep as well
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep, what better way than to post on here! Worked like a charmName:  zzz.jpg
    Hi WOZ, looking at the times of some of your posts, you have trouble going to sleep as well

• haha my problem is staying awake at the right times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post
  • haha my problem is staying awake at the right times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Duppy View Post