• Second generation smart meters (SMETS2) update for Pure Planet members

Hi everyone

We’ve got an update to share about our plans to offer 2nd generation smart meters (SMETS2) to Pure Planet Members.

We’ve completed our initial internal testing of SMETS2 smart meters and we have also chosen a contractor to install them from early 2019.

What happens next?

The next step is for us to work with some Pure Planet Community Members who are up for taking part in a pilot of SMETS2 smart meters, before they’re offered to all.

The pilot is likely to start in February. It will involve testing the meter installation process and, of course, the network that sends us meter readings so you don’t have to.
    We’ll use your feedback and experience to fix any bugs and get everything in place before we start to install them by the thousands.

The pilot will involve a small number of people so we can keep track of what’s happening. It’s also important that we have Members testing the meters from various locations around the UK. This is because we’ll be testing the strength and reliability of different networks which will carry the data.

Members chosen to be part of the pilot will be given access to a special ‘Smart meters testing’ section here in the community - a place for us to get your feedback and collate any issues that come up.

If you’re up for that, let me know by posting in the replies below. If you’ve already posted in this thread that you’d like to be involved, you don’t have to post here again - we’ve already got you on the long list.

A shortlist will be drawn up and I’ll be in touch with the details.

More info about SMETS2

SMETS2 is the industry term for the 2nd generation of smart meters in the UK.

These will replace 1st generation smart meters (SMETS1) and will work with any energy supplier, not just the supplier who installs them.

Smart meters can send accurate data about your energy usage directly to us, so you don’t need to take manual meter readings or rely on estimates.

They also give you real-time information about your energy use, so you can find ways to use less and save money.

Pure Planet Members will not be forced to have a smart meter. If you don’t want one, that’s fine!

The SMETS2 rollout is being coordinated by an Ofgem-regulated body called the Data and Communications Company (DCC).

The DCC is responsible for building the smart meter network around the UK. It’s the body between energy suppliers like Pure Planet and you, the Member. DCC manages the data between supplier and customer, on a faster network. (The older versions of smart meters use 3G SIM cards which connect to specific energy companies only).

What has been happening in the past few months?

SMETS2 meters have been installed in homes by other energy suppliers since the summer. Despite initial testing and mass production they proving to be more complex and time-consuming that previously expected, creating delays in availability of meters.

We don’t believe that Pure Planet Members wanted to be issued with smart meters that were not yet ready to work as intended, which is why we’ve held back until now while we carried out more testing ourselves.

We’ll be posting regular updates in the community on how the pilot is progressing.

That’s it for now. Any questions? Let’s talk about them below.

You may also like:
    I’ve got a smart meter. Will it work with Pure Planet and how to I read it?

Last edited by Marc; 11-12-18 at 12:57.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet.

• Hi everyone

We’ve got an update to share about our plans to offer 2nd generation smart meters (SMETS2) to Pure Planet Members.

We’ve completed our initial internal testing of SMETS2 smart meters and we have also chosen a contractor to install them from early 2019.

What happens next?

The next step is for us to work with some Pure Planet Community Members who are up for taking part in a pilot of SMETS2 smart meters, before they’re offered to all.

The pilot is likely to start in February. It will involve testing the meter installation process and, of course, the network that sends us meter readings so you don’t have to.
    We’ll use your feedback and experience to fix any bugs and get everything in place before we start to install them by the thousands.

The pilot will involve a small number of people so we can keep track of what’s happening. It’s also important that we have Members testing the meters from various locations around the UK. This is because we’ll be testing the strength and reliability of different networks which will carry the data.

Members chosen to be part of the pilot will be given access to a special ‘Smart meters testing’ section here in the community - a place for us to get your feedback and collate any issues that come up.

If you’re up for that, let me know by posting in the replies below. If you’ve already posted in this thread that you’d like to be involved, you don’t have to post here again - we’ve already got you on the long list.

More info about SMETS2

These will replace 1st generation smart meters (SMETS1) and will work with any energy supplier, not just the supplier who installs them.

Smart meters can send accurate data about your energy usage directly to us, so you don’t need to take manual meter readings or rely on estimates.

They also give you real-time information about your energy use, so you can find ways to use less and save money.

Pure Planet Members will not be forced to have a smart meter. If you don’t want one, that’s fine!

The SMETS2 rollout is being coordinated by an Ofgem-regulated body called the Data and Communications Company (DCC).

The DCC is responsible for building the smart meter network around the UK. It’s the body between energy suppliers like Pure Planet and you, the Member. DCC manages the data between supplier and customer, on a faster network. (The older versions of smart meters use 3G SIM cards which connect to specific energy companies only).

SMETS2 meters have been installed in homes by other energy suppliers since the summer. Despite initial testing and mass production they proving to be more complex and time-consuming that previously expected, creating delays in availability of meters.

We don’t believe that Pure Planet Members wanted to be issued with smart meters that were not yet ready to work as intended, which is why we’ve held back until now while we carried out more testing ourselves.

We’ll be posting regular updates in the community on how the pilot is progressing.

You may also like:

• Can’t recall expressing my interest in the past Marc, but would very much like to be considered to be a part of the pilot 👍
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN

• Can’t recall expressing my interest in the past Marc, but would very much like to be considered to be a part of the pilot 👍
  • If you want a bit of geographical variation I'm in Cornwall and would like to take part.
  • If you want a bit of geographical variation I'm in Cornwall and would like to take part.
  • Thanks @Bev and @Lenny
    Community Manager - Pure Planet.

• Thanks @Bev and @Lenny
  • Could i be considered please up in the highlands of Scotland
    Last edited by Ewangrant36; 12-11-18 at 17:06. Reason: Wrong reply
  • Could i be considered please up in the highlands of Scotland
  • Yes please - small village in North Sheffield
  • Yes please - small village in North Sheffield
  • I’m in Taunton, happy to help.
  • I’m in Taunton, happy to help.
  • I would love to test these out for you. Please put me on the list
  • I would love to test these out for you. Please put me on the list
  • I’d be willing to help out trialling in South Yorkshire
    Last edited by thebuat; 12-11-18 at 17:30. Reason: Spelling
  • I’d be willing to help out trialling in South Yorkshire
  • Essex region if you require help there.
  • Essex region if you require help there.
  • Hi Marc,

I am happy to be part if the pilot. I am in Kent.

Dean
  • Hi Marc,

I am happy to be part if the pilot. I am in Kent.

Dean
  • I am up for being part of the trial

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi everyone

What happens next?

More info about SMETS2

You may also like:

• I am up for being part of the trial

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi everyone

What happens next?

More info about SMETS2

You may also like:

• Lincolnshire. Tech/testing background, now a normal human working for the NHS. Very happy to contribute.
  • Lincolnshire. Tech/testing background, now a normal human working for the NHS. Very happy to contribute.
  • I'd love to be part of the trial, please.
    Graham Baines, Argyll & Bute
  • I'd love to be part of the trial, please.
    Graham Baines, Argyll & Bute
  • I would be willing to help with this. Nottingham
  • I would be willing to help with this. Nottingham
  • Please add me to pilot list...Falkirk, Scotland
  • Please add me to pilot list...Falkirk, Scotland
  • Please add me to the list to test the new smart meters. Acomb, York.
  • Please add me to the list to test the new smart meters. Acomb, York.
  • Oh go on then i will have one, just so long as its 3 phase and the sparky is not an idiot like the one SSE sent out. Who nearly killed himself after turning off electric and starting work not realising the generator had kicked in. Wow BIG BANG.........
  • Oh go on then i will have one, just so long as its 3 phase and the sparky is not an idiot like the one SSE sent out. Who nearly killed himself after turning off electric and starting work not realising the generator had kicked in. Wow BIG BANG.........
  • We would be delighted to take part in new smart meter trial.
  • We would be delighted to take part in new smart meter trial.
  • Happy to help over here in Sheffield South Yorkshire.
  • Happy to help over here in Sheffield South Yorkshire.