• Quote Originally Posted by neilball View Post
    I do live in scotland so it is much colder here than it is down on England, and I also make full use of heat and AC (I’m not one of the sadists who will runnwith no heating in the car to eek out the maximum mileage) - so that’s heated seats, heated steering wheel, and a cabin temp of 22 degrees in winter.

I believe it's more battery efficient to use the heated seats instead of increasing the overall temperature
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by neilball View Post
    I do live in scotland so it is much colder here than it is down on England, and I also make full use of heat and AC (I’m not one of the sadists who will runnwith no heating in the car to eek out the maximum mileage) - so that’s heated seats, heated steering wheel, and a cabin temp of 22 degrees in winter.

I believe it's more battery efficient to use the heated seats instead of increasing the overall temperature

• While it’s certainly more efficient to use seat heating rather than heating the cabin I don’t enjoy driving in heavy cold weather gear including hat and gloves so I’m happy to trade some range for my comfort 👍
  • While it’s certainly more efficient to use seat heating rather than heating the cabin I don’t enjoy driving in heavy cold weather gear including hat and gloves so I’m happy to trade some range for my comfort 👍
  • Hi @Marc,

I endured a freezing trip to work at 6:30 AM the other day when it was -2C. The Leaf drove fine and I still got around 3.5 miles/kWh, which is decent. What was an issue was that the front cameras/sensors weren't behaving very well - I was getting alerts on the dashboard that vehicle detection wasn't working properly so I couldn't use the adaptive cruise control. There was another light flashing a warning, too, but I never got round to looking it up and can't remember what it was now.

However, later in the day (when it got above zero) everything was working fine again.
  • Hi @Marc,

I endured a freezing trip to work at 6:30 AM the other day when it was -2C. The Leaf drove fine and I still got around 3.5 miles/kWh, which is decent. What was an issue was that the front cameras/sensors weren't behaving very well - I was getting alerts on the dashboard that vehicle detection wasn't working properly so I couldn't use the adaptive cruise control. There was another light flashing a warning, too, but I never got round to looking it up and can't remember what it was now.

However, later in the day (when it got above zero) everything was working fine again.
  • Thanks @MikeZ
    Well as my Leaf is due to turn up next month I'll have some cold mornings to find out what happens!
    I guess freezing temps will also affect cameras/sensors on ICE cars too, not just EVs?
    BTW 3.5 miles per kWh in -2C sounds pretty good!

• Thanks @MikeZ
    Well as my Leaf is due to turn up next month I'll have some cold mornings to find out what happens!
    I guess freezing temps will also affect cameras/sensors on ICE cars too, not just EVs?

• Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Thanks @MikeZ
    Yeah, that's true - my old Golf used to moan about the tailgate not being properly closed when it was icy

It was -1 this morning and everything worked fine. Got 3.4 miles/kWh this time. It's great being able to pre-heat and just get in and drive while the neighbours are busy scraping their windscreens
    Thanks @MikeZ
    Yeah, that's true - my old Golf used to moan about the tailgate not being properly closed when it was icy

It was -1 this morning and everything worked fine. Got 3.4 miles/kWh this time. It's great being able to pre-heat and just get in and drive while the neighbours are busy scraping their windscreens
  • Quote Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
    It's great being able to pre-heat and just get in and drive while the neighbours are busy scraping their windscreens
    Ha, yes indeed I am definitely looking forward to that.
    I've been advised (in this community I think!) that if the car's been on charge overnight, to leave it plugged in while warming the car up first thing in the morning.

• Quote Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
    It's great being able to pre-heat and just get in and drive while the neighbours are busy scraping their windscreens
    I've been advised (in this community I think!) that if the car's been on charge overnight, to leave it plugged in while warming the car up first thing in the morning.

I've been charging up at work rather than home because it's free, so I just activate the pre-heat without it being plugged in. In that case it only runs for 15 minutes but that's enough to defrost and make the car toasty. This morning it used 2% of the battery doing that, so not a massive amount.
    I've been charging up at work rather than home because it's free, so I just activate the pre-heat without it being plugged in. In that case it only runs for 15 minutes but that's enough to defrost and make the car toasty. This morning it used 2% of the battery doing that, so not a massive amount.

Maybe.. but it won't do much for your sperm count though...

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post

Good Afternoon All,

Going back to using the zappi to divert Solar PV to EV charging. You need to check if your car has a minimum trigger point for charging. I believe such as a Zoe needs as much as 2.7kWh to kick start??

Regards

Richard
    Good Afternoon All,

Going back to using the zappi to divert Solar PV to EV charging. You need to check if your car has a minimum trigger point for charging. I believe such as a Zoe needs as much as 2.7kWh to kick start??

Regards

Richard
  • Quote Originally Posted by linesrg View Post
    Good Afternoon All,

Regards

Richard
    What do you think of the news that solar energy producers won't get paid for the electricity they give back to the grid @linesrg
    ?

Good Afternoon All,

Regards

Richard
    What do you think of the news that solar energy producers won't get paid for the electricity they give back to the grid @linesrg
    ?

• Marc,

This has been well flagged. Solar PV prices have dropped to a point where they don't need subsidising. It is a shame the DNO's don't 'allow' more self install even if they charged for inspections as it would still be cheaper than having to have it professionally installed.

Existing users aren't affected so being an early adopter I'll just keep taking the money.

Regards

Richard
  • Marc,

This has been well flagged. Solar PV prices have dropped to a point where they don't need subsidising. It is a shame the DNO's don't 'allow' more self install even if they charged for inspections as it would still be cheaper than having to have it professionally installed.

Existing users aren't affected so being an early adopter I'll just keep taking the money.

Regards

Richard
    Good for you!

Good for you!

Good Afternoon All,

Regards

Richard
    I generally use my zappi in Eco mode, and the i3 is happy to take a min of 1.5kWh from solar or the grid and then increase once solar starts generating more. Being in the NW, we don't get enough sun when the EVs are at home to make use of the ECO ++ mode

I applied for the FRED trial, which is a hub and app combo which provides greater insight and control - not got the goodies yet, but will report back once I do.

So far though, the Zappi has been a worthwhile investment
    Good Afternoon All,

Regards

Richard
    I generally use my zappi in Eco mode, and the i3 is happy to take a min of 1.5kWh from solar or the grid and then increase once solar starts generating more. Being in the NW, we don't get enough sun when the EVs are at home to make use of the ECO ++ mode

I applied for the FRED trial, which is a hub and app combo which provides greater insight and control - not got the goodies yet, but will report back once I do.

So far though, the Zappi has been a worthwhile investment
  • Marc, still liking your Leaf? I thinking that way.

A friend of mine has just bought a new car. Petrol driven. I asked him why he had not thought of going electric. His answer was that there were not enough charging points yet. I asked him where he fills up his car and whether he always fills up at that petrol station. He named it, a local one, it was near to home.
    “How often to you put petrol in at a different filling station away from home?”
    “Oh, very rarely.” was his reply.
    “So why therefore are you worried about the lack of charging points as you don’t need them, you are always filling up locally and with an EV you can do it at home.”
    “I never thought of that” he said!

I have had my car for 9 years. It’s petrol. I have done 66,000 miles in it. In all 9 years I think on no more than half a dozen times have I filled up other than at my local petrol station. I suspect for most people this is the same and they allow the anxiety of there being no charging point where they are going to pervade when in practice they don’t need one for 95%+ of the time.

By the way I checked in B&Q the the other day for long automatic power leads whereby I can leave my car plugged in and drive off, but they don’t have them!
    Richard
  • Marc, still liking your Leaf? I thinking that way.

A friend of mine has just bought a new car. Petrol driven. I asked him why he had not thought of going electric. His answer was that there were not enough charging points yet. I asked him where he fills up his car and whether he always fills up at that petrol station. He named it, a local one, it was near to home.
    “So why therefore are you worried about the lack of charging points as you don’t need them, you are always filling up locally and with an EV you can do it at home.”

I have had my car for 9 years. It’s petrol. I have done 66,000 miles in it. In all 9 years I think on no more than half a dozen times have I filled up other than at my local petrol station. I suspect for most people this is the same and they allow the anxiety of there being no charging point where they are going to pervade when in practice they don’t need one for 95%+ of the time.

By the way I checked in B&Q the the other day for long automatic power leads whereby I can leave my car plugged in and drive off, but they don’t have them!
    Richard
  • hi G4RHL
    There are charging stations where you can drive off while your car is plugged in?

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Marc, still liking your Leaf? I thinking that way.

• hi G4RHL
    There are charging stations where you can drive off while your car is plugged in?

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post

• Hey @G4RHL
    Oh yes. Love it. Are you tempted? I don't know your budget, obvs, but if you're looking for something soon, I'd wait for this year's version of the Leaf, the e+ or whatever they're calling it. I'm sure the waiting list is pretty long already though.

Yep, I always charge at home.
    I've had range anxiety a couple of times, but it wasn't serious (!). I was headed home, so knew that even with just a few miles left 'in the tank' I'd be OK. I guess it would be different if you pulled into a service station with hardly any power left only to find that the EV charger it out of order, or already in use.
    Do you have a driveway at home? That'll make all the difference. No driveway, and I think you're basically relying on public charging points (unless there's one where you work?)

Hahahaha

• Hey @G4RHL
    Oh yes. Love it. Are you tempted? I don't know your budget, obvs, but if you're looking for something soon, I'd wait for this year's version of the Leaf, the e+ or whatever they're calling it. I'm sure the waiting list is pretty long already though.

Yep, I always charge at home.
    I've had range anxiety a couple of times, but it wasn't serious (!). I was headed home, so knew that even with just a few miles left 'in the tank' I'd be OK. I guess it would be different if you pulled into a service station with hardly any power left only to find that the EV charger it out of order, or already in use.
    Do you have a driveway at home? That'll make all the difference. No driveway, and I think you're basically relying on public charging points (unless there's one where you work?)

Hahahaha

• Pleased you like the Leaf. I had a tour around Nissan’s factory earlier this year and they mentioned a new Leaf was coming with a greater than 200 mile battery. Now announced and I understand orders being placed. It’s their top of the range model and it seems you don’t need to specify extras as it comes with them all. Perhaps just a choice of colour!

I think I have to go EV on my next change but am limited to a vehicle that will do getting on for 230 miles or so on a full charge. Reason being that one journey frequently made is about 90 miles there and back but no charging facility anywhere near the destination. Hence the need for a long extension lead!

The Leaf figures high in my choices as with the others with similar mileages by the time you add on extras you may want you are up to the Leaf price anyway. Plus Nissan have been producing the Leaf since I think 2011 so have some experience of issues and problems. Mind you the iPace is nice!

Yes, I can park on my drive. I would prefer a charging point in my garage but that will depend on the installer’s flexibility in doing that as opposed to sticking it on my house wall in the drive. My garage is not attached to the house. A gap of 1 meter filled by a gate. The garage though does have a separate power supply fed to it from my consumer unit but I imagine the capacity may be too small.

Minor issues. The major one is amassing the funds to buy!
    Richard
  • Pleased you like the Leaf. I had a tour around Nissan’s factory earlier this year and they mentioned a new Leaf was coming with a greater than 200 mile battery. Now announced and I understand orders being placed. It’s their top of the range model and it seems you don’t need to specify extras as it comes with them all. Perhaps just a choice of colour!

I think I have to go EV on my next change but am limited to a vehicle that will do getting on for 230 miles or so on a full charge. Reason being that one journey frequently made is about 90 miles there and back but no charging facility anywhere near the destination. Hence the need for a long extension lead!

The Leaf figures high in my choices as with the others with similar mileages by the time you add on extras you may want you are up to the Leaf price anyway. Plus Nissan have been producing the Leaf since I think 2011 so have some experience of issues and problems. Mind you the iPace is nice!

Yes, I can park on my drive. I would prefer a charging point in my garage but that will depend on the installer’s flexibility in doing that as opposed to sticking it on my house wall in the drive. My garage is not attached to the house. A gap of 1 meter filled by a gate. The garage though does have a separate power supply fed to it from my consumer unit but I imagine the capacity may be too small.

Richard
  • I don't think I'll ever own an ICE-car again to be honest @G4RHL

Doesn't the new model, the Leaf+, cover this? (Assuming that the Acme-built 100 mile long extension lead doesn't do the trick

Yep, that's an issue all right.
    I'm seeing quite a few original Leafs still being driven around, and some of these will be second hand.
    Doesn't sort your range issue though, does it?
    Grrrr, back to the drawing board.......

• I don't think I'll ever own an ICE-car again to be honest @G4RHL

Doesn't the new model, the Leaf+, cover this? (Assuming that the Acme-built 100 mile long extension lead doesn't do the trick

Yep, that's an issue all right.
    I'm seeing quite a few original Leafs still being driven around, and some of these will be second hand.
    Doesn't sort your range issue though, does it?
    Grrrr, back to the drawing board.......

• There are a number of EV cars being released late summer, early autumn that will do over 200 miles and at the same time I have every confidence that in time there will be charging points in most localities. It is not like building a petrol station and the supply already exists. A lot of the proposed cars seem to be existing models but with an electric motor and a battery. Nissan and Jaguar have I understand built and designed their EVa as such from the start but of course they each will nick parts from other models. Nissan has had 8 years+ of experience in this field. When I had a tou4 of their factory recently we were not allowed in the battery plant. It is massive.

I suppose I could buy 100 40m extension leads from B&Q and plug them together.
    Richard
  • There are a number of EV cars being released late summer, early autumn that will do over 200 miles and at the same time I have every confidence that in time there will be charging points in most localities. It is not like building a petrol station and the supply already exists. A lot of the proposed cars seem to be existing models but with an electric motor and a battery. Nissan and Jaguar have I understand built and designed their EVa as such from the start but of course they each will nick parts from other models. Nissan has had 8 years+ of experience in this field. When I had a tou4 of their factory recently we were not allowed in the battery plant. It is massive.

I suppose I could buy 100 40m extension leads from B&Q and plug them together.
    Richard