• Smart meter installation

Having recently joined pure planet I understand there are plans to install smart meters in 2019.can you please confirm how the roll out is planned as I'm keen to get one fitted asap.Cheers, Karl
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Having recently joined pure planet I understand there are plans to install smart meters in 2019.can you please confirm how the roll out is planned as I'm keen to get one fitted asap.Cheers, Karl
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Host

There is a dedidcated thread on Smart meters and their roll out on the Community message board.

Below is the statement made earlier in the year by PP:

“New models of smart meters are starting to be issued to homes and we at Pure Planet will be issuing all our members with one.

The current generation of smart meters, known as SMETS1, only work with the supplier who fits them.

We don’t want to invest in old technology and we don’t agree with some of the practises used by other suppliers which ties customers to their tariffs.

Which is why we’ve been waiting for the second generation of smart meters, known as SMETS2. These will work with all suppliers, regardless of who fits them.

SMETS2 smart meters are being rolled out to households from October 2018. The rollout is being coordinated by an Ofgem-regulated body called the Data and Communications Company (DCC).

The DCC is responsible for building the smart meter network around the UK. It is the body between energy suppliers like Pure Planet and you, the member. DCC manages the data between supplier and customer, on a faster network. (The older versions of smart meters use 3G SIM cards which connect to specific energy companies only).

We and other energy suppliers have been working behind the scenes for many months with the DCC, SMETS2 manufacturers and SMETS2 installers to prepare for the rollout.

We’ve been planning a pilot to test them with interested members over the summer, and then issuing to all our members, for free, this autumn.

But, what is emerging from the SMETS2 trials is that the initial testing and preparation for mass production is proving more complex and time-consuming that previously expected, and so availability of meters has been delayed.

Households involved in SMETS2 pilot schemes are experiencing issues with the new hardware connecting with the new network - the one which carries the data between households and suppliers. What this means is that meter readings are not being recorded correctly.

We don’t believe that Pure Planet members want to be issued with smart meters that are not yet ready to work as intended.

And we also don’t want to use the older meters because they prevent the freedom to choose your preferred energy supplier.

So we have decided the best solution is to wait until the SMETS2 bugs have been fixed and they work correctly with the DCC network.

Instead of testing SMETS2 with members in summer and installing them in the autumn, we’ll be aiming to test them at the end of 2018 and start issuing them to everyone in 2019”

Hope this helps

TonyMcH
  • Host

There is a dedidcated thread on Smart meters and their roll out on the Community message board.

Below is the statement made earlier in the year by PP:

“New models of smart meters are starting to be issued to homes and we at Pure Planet will be issuing all our members with one.

The current generation of smart meters, known as SMETS1, only work with the supplier who fits them.

We don’t want to invest in old technology and we don’t agree with some of the practises used by other suppliers which ties customers to their tariffs.

Which is why we’ve been waiting for the second generation of smart meters, known as SMETS2. These will work with all suppliers, regardless of who fits them.

SMETS2 smart meters are being rolled out to households from October 2018. The rollout is being coordinated by an Ofgem-regulated body called the Data and Communications Company (DCC).

The DCC is responsible for building the smart meter network around the UK. It is the body between energy suppliers like Pure Planet and you, the member. DCC manages the data between supplier and customer, on a faster network. (The older versions of smart meters use 3G SIM cards which connect to specific energy companies only).

We and other energy suppliers have been working behind the scenes for many months with the DCC, SMETS2 manufacturers and SMETS2 installers to prepare for the rollout.

We’ve been planning a pilot to test them with interested members over the summer, and then issuing to all our members, for free, this autumn.

But, what is emerging from the SMETS2 trials is that the initial testing and preparation for mass production is proving more complex and time-consuming that previously expected, and so availability of meters has been delayed.

Households involved in SMETS2 pilot schemes are experiencing issues with the new hardware connecting with the new network - the one which carries the data between households and suppliers. What this means is that meter readings are not being recorded correctly.

We don’t believe that Pure Planet members want to be issued with smart meters that are not yet ready to work as intended.

And we also don’t want to use the older meters because they prevent the freedom to choose your preferred energy supplier.

So we have decided the best solution is to wait until the SMETS2 bugs have been fixed and they work correctly with the DCC network.

Instead of testing SMETS2 with members in summer and installing them in the autumn, we’ll be aiming to test them at the end of 2018 and start issuing them to everyone in 2019”

Hope this helps

TonyMcH

• Quote Originally Posted by Host 2012 View Post
    Having recently joined pure planet I understand there are plans to install smart meters in 2019.can you please confirm how the roll out is planned as I'm keen to get one fitted asap.Cheers, Karl
    Welcome to the community @Host 2012
    Great reply from @TonyMcH which has it all
    Here's the thread he mentioned
    Hope that helps!
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by Host 2012 View Post
    Welcome to the community @Host 2012
    Great reply from @TonyMcH which has it all
    Here's the thread he mentioned
    Hope that helps!

• It actually depends on the make of smart meter as well as which supplier installs it. SMETS 1 smart meters made by Secure will continue to work when switching between Utilita, First Utility, OVO, E.ON, Bristol Energy and Octopus, for instance. Confirmed when my mother switched from First Utility to Octopus.
  • It actually depends on the make of smart meter as well as which supplier installs it. SMETS 1 smart meters made by Secure will continue to work when switching between Utilita, First Utility, OVO, E.ON, Bristol Energy and Octopus, for instance. Confirmed when my mother switched from First Utility to Octopus.

• Yes that is also true @MikeZ
    Our focus is SMETS 2 though

• Yes that is also true @MikeZ

• Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Yes that is also true @MikeZ
    ...and rightly so
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Yes that is also true @MikeZ
    ...and rightly so

• There is a plan to retro upgrade smets1 so they are compatible with s2’s. (I’ll believe it when I see it ...)
    I read it somewhere deeply technical can’t remember where at the moment
  • There is a plan to retro upgrade smets1 so they are compatible with s2’s. (I’ll believe it when I see it ...)
    I read it somewhere deeply technical can’t remember where at the moment

• Yes, it's claimed that a firmware upgrade is all that's needed. However, I believe that SMETS 1 meters use 2G data, so transmitting an upgrade to ten million (?) meters is going to take quite some time, not to mention that a considerable number can't get a decent 2G signal...
  • Yes, it's claimed that a firmware upgrade is all that's needed. However, I believe that SMETS 1 meters use 2G data, so transmitting an upgrade to ten million (?) meters is going to take quite some time, not to mention that a considerable number can't get a decent 2G signal...

• Thanks for all the replies. Is it possible to get involved in smet 2 pilots?
  • Thanks for all the replies. Is it possible to get involved in smet 2 pilots?

• Hi @Host 2012
    I'll update the community as soon as we're ready to start the pilot of SMETS2
    Won't be too long now

• Hi @Host 2012
    I'll update the community as soon as we're ready to start the pilot of SMETS2
    Won't be too long now

• Have been offered a Smart Meter from Scottish Power is this in conjunction with you?
    from Mike
  • Have been offered a Smart Meter from Scottish Power is this in conjunction with you?
    from Mike

• No it won't be, presumably you were with SP at some stage?
  • No it won't be, presumably you were with SP at some stage?

• Hi mike.
    Dont accept the SP smart meter as woz says nothing to do with PP and to rely on them not to stuff up the meter readings for a meter that wont be smart could get problematic.
  • Hi mike.
    Dont accept the SP smart meter as woz says nothing to do with PP and to rely on them not to stuff up the meter readings for a meter that wont be smart could get problematic.

• Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandsuelamble View Post
    Have been offered a Smart Meter from Scottish Power is this in conjunction with you?
    from Mike
    Hi @Mikeandsuelamble
    No, nothing to do with us.
    As @woz and @Jon1 say, if it's a Scottish Power smart meter it probably won't work with us.
    Check out this thread on what we're planning to do with 2nd generation smart meters soon

• Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandsuelamble View Post
    Have been offered a Smart Meter from Scottish Power is this in conjunction with you?
    from Mike
    Hi @Mikeandsuelamble
    No, nothing to do with us.
    As @woz and @Jon1 say, if it's a Scottish Power smart meter it probably won't work with us.
    Check out this thread on what we're planning to do with 2nd generation smart meters soon