• Nissan Leaf 2018 range experiment

OK, so this is not particularly scientific, but I've been looking at what difference using D, B, and/or Eco mode makes on my 40-mile commute.

To start with I was using Eco mode most of the time as I thought that it would give me the best miles/kWh. With Eco ON and using either D or B, I had been consistently getting 4.1-4.2 miles/kWh. So, for the last few days, I've been making the journey with Eco OFF and using either B or D. The result? A pretty consistent 4.1-4.2 miles/kWh! It doesn't appear to make any difference whether I'm using B or D, although I actually prefer B for the extra "engine braking" that the increased regen gives.

So, for the time being, I'll be keeping Eco off and using B on the open road and e-pedal in built-up areas and traffic jams.
  • OK, so this is not particularly scientific, but I've been looking at what difference using D, B, and/or Eco mode makes on my 40-mile commute.

To start with I was using Eco mode most of the time as I thought that it would give me the best miles/kWh. With Eco ON and using either D or B, I had been consistently getting 4.1-4.2 miles/kWh. So, for the last few days, I've been making the journey with Eco OFF and using either B or D. The result? A pretty consistent 4.1-4.2 miles/kWh! It doesn't appear to make any difference whether I'm using B or D, although I actually prefer B for the extra "engine braking" that the increased regen gives.

So, for the time being, I'll be keeping Eco off and using B on the open road and e-pedal in built-up areas and traffic jams.
  • Interesting
    Obviously you aren't putting your foot down hard enough.... because you're not a boy racer....(careful how you answer that)
    Does eco mode just limit the acceleration? What's the difference between B and D technically?
    I suppose the steadier the speed and the less braking, the less difference e-pedal will make. It seems logical to use it in heavier traffic and where your speed fluctuates a lot.
    What will be even more interesting is when you and @Marc start comparing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
    OK, so this is not particularly scientific, but I've been looking at what difference using D, B, and/or Eco mode makes on my 40-mile commute.

Last edited by woz; 22-10-18 at 01:53.
  • Interesting
    Obviously you aren't putting your foot down hard enough.... because you're not a boy racer....(careful how you answer that)
    Does eco mode just limit the acceleration? What's the difference between B and D technically?
    I suppose the steadier the speed and the less braking, the less difference e-pedal will make. It seems logical to use it in heavier traffic and where your speed fluctuates a lot.
    What will be even more interesting is when you and @Marc start comparing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post

• Hi @woz,

My boy racer days are well behind me now The Leaf will do 0-60 in under 8 seconds but, unfortunately, it doesn't have the handling to match (at least not on country roads) because of the weight of the battery.

Eco reduces the accelerator response - you have to press it further for the same acceleration. If you floor it in Eco it will override that, though. I think it also reduces the A/C and heating but haven't noticed any difference.

D is the normal drive setting (like a standard automatic transmission) and B is the same but with extra regeneration. The car will coast in D (like slipping an ICE vehicle into neutral) but B will apply some regenerative braking when you lift off (but nowhere near as much as when using e-pedal).

I'm also looking forward to seeing how Marc gets on with his
  • Hi @woz,

My boy racer days are well behind me now The Leaf will do 0-60 in under 8 seconds but, unfortunately, it doesn't have the handling to match (at least not on country roads) because of the weight of the battery.

Eco reduces the accelerator response - you have to press it further for the same acceleration. If you floor it in Eco it will override that, though. I think it also reduces the A/C and heating but haven't noticed any difference.

D is the normal drive setting (like a standard automatic transmission) and B is the same but with extra regeneration. The car will coast in D (like slipping an ICE vehicle into neutral) but B will apply some regenerative braking when you lift off (but nowhere near as much as when using e-pedal).

I'm also looking forward to seeing how Marc gets on with his
  • Hey @MikeZ
    I have to admit, when I had the Leaf for a week in the summer, the whole B v D completed passed me by. I was quite taken with the e-pedal, once I had got over the boy racer acceleration (I should know better.....)
    I'm about a month away from taking delivery. My current petrol guzzler old banger is making loads of whining sounds - almost like it 'knows' that time is almost up.
    I'll start off sticking with D with e-pedal on. But yes will be interesting to try out B.
    Another question that popped into my head this morning - how much does cold weather affect range? I'm guessing only extreme cold will really have an impact.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Hey @MikeZ
    I have to admit, when I had the Leaf for a week in the summer, the whole B v D completed passed me by. I was quite taken with the e-pedal, once I had got over the boy racer acceleration (I should know better.....)
    I'm about a month away from taking delivery. My current petrol guzzler old banger is making loads of whining sounds - almost like it 'knows' that time is almost up.
    I'll start off sticking with D with e-pedal on. But yes will be interesting to try out B.
    Another question that popped into my head this morning - how much does cold weather affect range? I'm guessing only extreme cold will really have an impact.

• Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hey @MikeZ
    Very cold weather will have an impact, but not by a massive amount. Suggest you look at Lemon-Tea Leaf's videos on YouTube. He's done lots of Nissan Leaf range tests with different speeds, settings, and temperatures. Also useful information on getting round "Rapidgate", for owners who need to use rapid chargers multiple times in a long journey.
    Last edited by MikeZ; 22-10-18 at 11:48.
    Hey @MikeZ
    Very cold weather will have an impact, but not by a massive amount. Suggest you look at Lemon-Tea Leaf's videos on YouTube. He's done lots of Nissan Leaf range tests with different speeds, settings, and temperatures. Also useful information on getting round "Rapidgate", for owners who need to use rapid chargers multiple times in a long journey.
  • Quote Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
    Suggest you look at Lemon-Tea Leaf's videos on YouTube. He's done lots of Nissan Leaf range tests with different speeds, settings, and temperatures. Also useful information on getting round "Rapidgate", for owners who need to use rapid chargers multiple times in a long journey.
    Thanks @MikeZ will do
    What is the longest journey you've done in the Leaf so far? Any angst about running out of power yet?!

• Quote Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
    Suggest you look at Lemon-Tea Leaf's videos on YouTube. He's done lots of Nissan Leaf range tests with different speeds, settings, and temperatures. Also useful information on getting round "Rapidgate", for owners who need to use rapid chargers multiple times in a long journey.
    Thanks @MikeZ will do
    What is the longest journey you've done in the Leaf so far? Any angst about running out of power yet?!

Thanks @MikeZ will do
    So far just my commute which is around 42 miles there and back. I don't think I've gone below 40% charge so far, so no range anxiety yet

I'll be doing a longer journey in a couple of weeks of around 150 miles. It's nearly all motorway so will stop around half way and do a 45-minute Ecotricity charge while I have some lunch. I haven't yet thought of a scenario where range will be an issue for me.
    Thanks @MikeZ will do
    So far just my commute which is around 42 miles there and back. I don't think I've gone below 40% charge so far, so no range anxiety yet

I'll be doing a longer journey in a couple of weeks of around 150 miles. It's nearly all motorway so will stop around half way and do a 45-minute Ecotricity charge while I have some lunch. I haven't yet thought of a scenario where range will be an issue for me.
  • Sounds like a good trip @MikeZ
    That's one of the biggest things to adapt to, isn't it? Need to be much more organised with a EV and really plan ahead.

BTW Seen this news from Germany? Leaf to become first EV to be able to sell energy back to the grid
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-au...-idUKKCN1MX1AE

• Sounds like a good trip @MikeZ
    That's one of the biggest things to adapt to, isn't it? Need to be much more organised with a EV and really plan ahead.

BTW Seen this news from Germany? Leaf to become first EV to be able to sell energy back to the grid
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-au...-idUKKCN1MX1AE

• I can see why a portable flexible energy sink/source does make sense in smoothing out demand, but the question I had to ask is how much difference will those extra battery cycles make to the life of the batteries.
    Not too much it seems, and there is an interesting article HERE (2017) about batteries generally. Worth a read.
    I suppose it's rhetorical at this stage anyway and maybe the technology will overtake any concerns long term.

I followed a link in that article (the link is to a fairly old article but still relevant) which made a point of saying for longer battery life you should't charge to 100% also, a point I never thought of, if you're at 100% there is nowhere for the energy from regenerative braking to go to..
    Last edited by woz; 23-10-18 at 16:11.
  • I can see why a portable flexible energy sink/source does make sense in smoothing out demand, but the question I had to ask is how much difference will those extra battery cycles make to the life of the batteries.
    Not too much it seems, and there is an interesting article HERE (2017) about batteries generally. Worth a read.
    I suppose it's rhetorical at this stage anyway and maybe the technology will overtake any concerns long term.

I followed a link in that article (the link is to a fairly old article but still relevant) which made a point of saying for longer battery life you should't charge to 100% also, a point I never thought of, if you're at 100% there is nowhere for the energy from regenerative braking to go to..
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    for longer battery life you should't charge to 100% also, a point I never thought of, if you're at 100% there is nowhere for the energy from regenerative braking to go to..
    Yes, I hear the same @woz
    Right now the 'default' thinking is to charge for as long as possible, because public charging points are few and far between
    I'm thinking we'll end up charging in short 'spurts' - a quick 10 mins here and there, such as when popping to the shops

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    for longer battery life you should't charge to 100% also, a point I never thought of, if you're at 100% there is nowhere for the energy from regenerative braking to go to..
    Yes, I hear the same @woz
    Right now the 'default' thinking is to charge for as long as possible, because public charging points are few and far between
    I'm thinking we'll end up charging in short 'spurts' - a quick 10 mins here and there, such as when popping to the shops

• I’ve got a 4 year old Leaf 24kw. Did a 300 mile trip last week From London to Pembrokeshire. Stopped 4 times to charge. Would have stopped a couple of times anyway so probably added about 90 mins to the journey. Didn’t take too much planning, all Ecotricity services.
  • I’ve got a 4 year old Leaf 24kw. Did a 300 mile trip last week From London to Pembrokeshire. Stopped 4 times to charge. Would have stopped a couple of times anyway so probably added about 90 mins to the journey. Didn’t take too much planning, all Ecotricity services.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Royborsberry View Post
    I’ve got a 4 year old Leaf 24kw. Did a 300 mile trip last week From London to Pembrokeshire. Stopped 4 times to charge. Would have stopped a couple of times anyway so probably added about 90 mins to the journey. Didn’t take too much planning, all Ecotricity services.
    Nice one @Royborsberry
    Does your Leaf also have eco pedal options?

I’ve got a 4 year old Leaf 24kw. Did a 300 mile trip last week From London to Pembrokeshire. Stopped 4 times to charge. Would have stopped a couple of times anyway so probably added about 90 mins to the journey. Didn’t take too much planning, all Ecotricity services.
    Nice one @Royborsberry
    Does your Leaf also have eco pedal options?

• @Royborsberry, good result

Must have added some stress though hoping the next charging point was working and not in use by someone else?
  • @Royborsberry, good result

Must have added some stress though hoping the next charging point was working and not in use by someone else?
  • Has got eco mode but. Or the one pedal driving that’s on the new leaf. On waiting list for a Tesla Model 3. Never spent more than 10k in a car so it better see me out!

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn’t stressful at all, you can see live updates of chargers and their availability, and there are so many chargers now there’s nearly always an alternative nearby.
  • Has got eco mode but. Or the one pedal driving that’s on the new leaf. On waiting list for a Tesla Model 3. Never spent more than 10k in a car so it better see me out!

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn’t stressful at all, you can see live updates of chargers and their availability, and there are so many chargers now there’s nearly always an alternative nearby.
    Wow, I'm impressed, I didn't realise that information was available , Is that through the car or an app on the phone?
    Wow, I'm impressed, I didn't realise that information was available , Is that through the car or an app on the phone?
  • Each company tends to have its own app or Zap-Map covers all the chargers in the uk. They are much more reliable than they were a few years ago.
  • Each company tends to have its own app or Zap-Map covers all the chargers in the uk. They are much more reliable than they were a few years ago.
  • Zap map is really cool @Royborsberry
    I'd like to see it in the car's built in sat nav, as well as on my phone.
    Although the 2018 Leaf does (at least I think it does) show you the nearest charging point if you ask it

• Zap map is really cool @Royborsberry
    Although the 2018 Leaf does (at least I think it does) show you the nearest charging point if you ask it

• They’ve just been added to Google maps, so type in EV chargers and your nearest locations will be visible on the map 😀
  • They’ve just been added to Google maps, so type in EV chargers and your nearest locations will be visible on the map 😀
  • Amazingly on the iOS version of Google Maps too @Royborsberry
    I suppose it's just a matter of time before Google also gets the data on whether the charger is in use, charger types available, and so on

• Amazingly on the iOS version of Google Maps too @Royborsberry
    I suppose it's just a matter of time before Google also gets the data on whether the charger is in use, charger types available, and so on

• Great minds think alike. I was designing this functionality into my car's dash onto the way to work. Easy to do these days and would be SOOOO cool in electric cars. Maybe the likes of BMW already have it in the pipeline as an optional extra

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Zap map is really cool @Royborsberry
  • Great minds think alike. I was designing this functionality into my car's dash onto the way to work. Easy to do these days and would be SOOOO cool in electric cars. Maybe the likes of BMW already have it in the pipeline as an optional extra

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Zap map is really cool @Royborsberry