Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

• How do I know if my smart meter is smets 1 or 2?

How do I know if my smart meter is smets 1 or 2?
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • How do I know if my smart meter is smets 1 or 2?
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Hello.
    I find it highly unlikely its an smet2. Does it have E470 or G470 anywhere on the meter? This would mean its smet1.
    Hello.
    I find it highly unlikely its an smet2. Does it have E470 or G470 anywhere on the meter? This would mean its smet1.

• Thanks, I will check when I get home. 🙂
  • Thanks, I will check when I get home. 🙂

Thanks, I will check when I get home.
    Hi @John H
    Have you got your answer to your question?

The link that @woz posted looks good. Adding it again here.

Looping in @MrSmart too
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

Thanks, I will check when I get home.
    Hi @John H
    Have you got your answer to your question?

The link that @woz posted looks good. Adding it again here.

Looping in @MrSmart too

• I'm sure there's an easy way to find out, perhaps @mr smart will know, but in the meanwhile there's a list of the various types HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

hi jon, I don't think that info is correct, have a look HERE (e or g 470 would mean it was smets2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Hello.
    Last edited by woz; 09-10-18 at 20:31.
  • I'm sure there's an easy way to find out, perhaps @mr smart will know, but in the meanwhile there's a list of the various types HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

hi jon, I don't think that info is correct, have a look HERE (e or g 470 would mean it was smets2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Hello.

• Best Answer

Hi Everyone and thanks @woz for looping me in on my favourite subject!

I don't believe there's anything actually on the meter that says 'I'm a SMETS2', just been looking through my catalogue of meter pictures and none of them do anyway.
    There is, however, one big giveaway difference between SMETS1 and SMETS2 and it's the communications hub. Generally, in my experience, the comms hub for SMETS1 is either part of the meter itself (and therefore not visible as a separate device) or, in the case of L&G meters, has a smaller, thinner device somewhere nearby (probably from Trilliant) which provides the remote communications.

In SMETS2, the communications hubs all look similar in that they're big, square boxes that should sit on top of the electricity meter and will have a number of barcodes on them. Another key giveaway is that the meter will have a Meter Serial Number (which everyone is used to and knows and loves) but it will also have a 'GUID' or a Device ID which looks like this: AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF-00-GG-ZZ.

The comms hubs also have several LED lights on them in a row which will indicate whether it's connected to WAN, gas, Mesh network and HAN. SMETS2 comms hubs will also have a 'SKU' label on them - SKU1, SKU2 (but that's only for the Central and South region).

So, many giveaways actually, if you know what you're looking for
  • Hi Everyone and thanks @woz for looping me in on my favourite subject!

I don't believe there's anything actually on the meter that says 'I'm a SMETS2', just been looking through my catalogue of meter pictures and none of them do anyway.
    There is, however, one big giveaway difference between SMETS1 and SMETS2 and it's the communications hub. Generally, in my experience, the comms hub for SMETS1 is either part of the meter itself (and therefore not visible as a separate device) or, in the case of L&G meters, has a smaller, thinner device somewhere nearby (probably from Trilliant) which provides the remote communications.

In SMETS2, the communications hubs all look similar in that they're big, square boxes that should sit on top of the electricity meter and will have a number of barcodes on them. Another key giveaway is that the meter will have a Meter Serial Number (which everyone is used to and knows and loves) but it will also have a 'GUID' or a Device ID which looks like this: AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF-00-GG-ZZ.

The comms hubs also have several LED lights on them in a row which will indicate whether it's connected to WAN, gas, Mesh network and HAN. SMETS2 comms hubs will also have a 'SKU' label on them - SKU1, SKU2 (but that's only for the Central and South region).

So, many giveaways actually, if you know what you're looking for

• That's a brill reply @MrSmart
    Really thorough
    I've taken the posts out of the original thread about smart meters and create a new one, as it definitely deserves a thread of its own
    Thanks for helping out other Members

• That's a brill reply @MrSmart
    Really thorough
    I've taken the posts out of the original thread about smart meters and create a new one, as it definitely deserves a thread of its own
    Thanks for helping out other Members

• I've just checked mine and it hasE470 so a smets 1 Thanks for the help
  • I've just checked mine and it hasE470 so a smets 1 Thanks for the help

• That's great to hear @Sheila B
    Nice one for letting the community members know how helpful they are!

• That's great to hear @Sheila B
    Nice one for letting the community members know how helpful they are!

• I thought pure planet were only fitting Smets2 meter installs? Just had magnum utilities here and now i'm not convinced they are doing smaets2, he fumbled about saying he had the wrong gas meter etc etc. I told him if they install smets1 i will have them removed, now i'm debating cancelling the entire install

This is NOT what I expected from Pure Planet
  • I thought pure planet were only fitting Smets2 meter installs? Just had magnum utilities here and now i'm not convinced they are doing smaets2, he fumbled about saying he had the wrong gas meter etc etc. I told him if they install smets1 i will have them removed, now i'm debating cancelling the entire install

• hi bobs
    PP are only fitting smets2. They are not fitting smets1
    Existing Smets1 meters will where possible be updated with firmware to become smets2 compatible. Maybe he had the wrong meter,
    What has caused you to have such a conviction?
    ​I don't understand how you go from it being the wrong meter to assuming he was going to fit a smets1, did he say that?

Quote Originally Posted by BobS View Post
    I thought pure planet were only fitting Smets2 meter installs? Just had magnum utilities here and now i'm not convinced they are doing smaets2, he fumbled about saying he had the wrong gas meter etc etc. I told him if they install smets1 i will have them removed, now i'm debating cancelling the entire install

• hi bobs
    PP are only fitting smets2. They are not fitting smets1
    Existing Smets1 meters will where possible be updated with firmware to become smets2 compatible. Maybe he had the wrong meter,
    What has caused you to have such a conviction?
    ​I don't understand how you go from it being the wrong meter to assuming he was going to fit a smets1, did he say that?

I thought pure planet were only fitting Smets2 meter installs? Just had magnum utilities here and now i'm not convinced they are doing smaets2, he fumbled about saying he had the wrong gas meter etc etc. I told him if they install smets1 i will have them removed, now i'm debating cancelling the entire install

• Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    He was a little cagey in regards what he had been sent, then said he needed to go to swansea tomorrow to get the correct gas meter and that they were having issues "connecting" them back to the main system etc etc, just made me very uneasy. There is a reason I CANNOT have smets1 fitted here which I'm not going into here. Keep reading horror stories of them point blank lying and fitting smets1 which will cause a LOT of issues with the work i do and they WILL be removed pronto.
  • Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    He was a little cagey in regards what he had been sent, then said he needed to go to swansea tomorrow to get the correct gas meter and that they were having issues "connecting" them back to the main system etc etc, just made me very uneasy. There is a reason I CANNOT have smets1 fitted here which I'm not going into here. Keep reading horror stories of them point blank lying and fitting smets1 which will cause a LOT of issues with the work i do and they WILL be removed pronto.

• hi Bobs
    So the thought that he might fit a smets1 meter is simply something you've decided based on absolutely no evidence at all?

He won't fit a smets1 meter, he simply either had the wrong meter or thought it was going to take longer than the time he had.

May I ask how or why it would impact the work you do? Notwithstanding that it won't be a smets1 meter I can't imagine a situation where fitting a smets 1 meter would have any impact save for the radio frequencies.

Given your worries so far it may be better if you don't have one fitted at all if changing the meter to the wrong type is going to have such a big impact, and as what you have now works OK.
    I don't work for PP.
    Last edited by woz; 04-07-19 at 17:22.
  • hi Bobs
    So the thought that he might fit a smets1 meter is simply something you've decided based on absolutely no evidence at all?

He won't fit a smets1 meter, he simply either had the wrong meter or thought it was going to take longer than the time he had.

May I ask how or why it would impact the work you do? Notwithstanding that it won't be a smets1 meter I can't imagine a situation where fitting a smets 1 meter would have any impact save for the radio frequencies.

Given your worries so far it may be better if you don't have one fitted at all if changing the meter to the wrong type is going to have such a big impact, and as what you have now works OK.
    I don't work for PP.

• Hi @woz,

To be fair to BobS, he may have read some articles (I know I have) in the press/online, stating that some energy suppliers (not PP) have had SMETS 1 meters fitted instead of the SMETS 2 that were due to be installed. Apparently due to the installers still having a backlog of SMETS 1. Even after passing the "cut off" date for installing SMETS 1.
    Gray4276
  • Hi @woz,

To be fair to BobS, he may have read some articles (I know I have) in the press/online, stating that some energy suppliers (not PP) have had SMETS 1 meters fitted instead of the SMETS 2 that were due to be installed. Apparently due to the installers still having a backlog of SMETS 1. Even after passing the "cut off" date for installing SMETS 1.
    Gray4276

• fair point, I wasn’t intending to come across as unfair, hope it didn’t seem that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hi @woz,

• fair point, I wasn’t intending to come across as unfair, hope it didn’t seem that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray4276 View Post
    Hi @woz,

• I forgot to add there is info and a list of smets2 meters HERE
  • I forgot to add there is info and a list of smets2 meters HERE

• So here we are he did indeed arrive with meters and electric got changed over and hooked up, gas took some time and then the gas meter locked so he has now left with a "they'll let you know when i'll be back" Wow just wow....... absolutely unbelievable :\ Well Pure Planet your contractors are making you look somewhat unprofessional and I'm EXTREMELY annoyed at having had best part of an entire day wasted and also feel like a guinea pig for something which should be smooth and slick.

AND I guess he will be back to fix the bodged attempt at install.
  • So here we are he did indeed arrive with meters and electric got changed over and hooked up, gas took some time and then the gas meter locked so he has now left with a "they'll let you know when i'll be back" Wow just wow....... absolutely unbelievable :\ Well Pure Planet your contractors are making you look somewhat unprofessional and I'm EXTREMELY annoyed at having had best part of an entire day wasted and also feel like a guinea pig for something which should be smooth and slick.

• Quote Originally Posted by BobS View Post
    So here we are he did indeed arrive with meters and electric got changed over and hooked up, gas took some time and then the gas meter locked so he has now left with a "they'll let you know when i'll be back" Wow just wow....... absolutely unbelievable :\ Well Pure Planet your contractors are making you look somewhat unprofessional and I'm EXTREMELY annoyed at having had best part of an entire day wasted and also feel like a guinea pig for something which should be smooth and slick.

Hi @BobS
    Cheers for the feedback.
    I've flagged this up with our smart meters team, who liaise with Magnum Utilities on SMETS2 installations.
    The gas meter locked because there were some commissioning issues. If you wake up any gas meter 20 times in a day it will lock automatically.
    So, the engineer had to remove it. If he hadn't you'd be left with no gas. He did the right thing by taking it off.
    Magnum believe that the engineer agreed with you before he left that he'd be back in the morning to put it back. And it does appear that it was successfully commissioned before it locked, so it'll be fine once it's back up.
    Sorry that you had a frustrating experience today.
    We still in quite early days of our SMETS2 installs. Our Members' feedback is really useful.

So here we are he did indeed arrive with meters and electric got changed over and hooked up, gas took some time and then the gas meter locked so he has now left with a "they'll let you know when i'll be back" Wow just wow....... absolutely unbelievable :\ Well Pure Planet your contractors are making you look somewhat unprofessional and I'm EXTREMELY annoyed at having had best part of an entire day wasted and also feel like a guinea pig for something which should be smooth and slick.

Hi @BobS
    Cheers for the feedback.
    I've flagged this up with our smart meters team, who liaise with Magnum Utilities on SMETS2 installations.
    The gas meter locked because there were some commissioning issues. If you wake up any gas meter 20 times in a day it will lock automatically.
    So, the engineer had to remove it. If he hadn't you'd be left with no gas. He did the right thing by taking it off.
    Magnum believe that the engineer agreed with you before he left that he'd be back in the morning to put it back. And it does appear that it was successfully commissioned before it locked, so it'll be fine once it's back up.
    We still in quite early days of our SMETS2 installs. Our Members' feedback is really useful.

• Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @BobS
    Cheers for the feedback.
    To be fair the engineer was superb. HOWEVER I'm from a "documentation" background, why aren't the engineers aware that "adoption" takes "roughly XX minutes" at which point they can take a break and go have lunch / tidy their van / surf the internet or whatever. That isn't a specific dig at pure planet
    BUT every company seems to have a "slightly different install" so how is one to know exactly what to do eh and how long it takes with "company yy" and opposed to "company xx"

Now the bigger question is why does a gas meter lock for 12 hours if it's woken up 20 times? that should be easily programmable once commissioned eh

I have a technology background btw and wonder why companies are struggling so badly, are folks really so incompetent these days that something which should be simple become convoluted and difficult.

Bear in mind the install was booked/agreed for Thursday and he had been sent a smets1 meter which he rightly didn't attempt to fit so drove to swansea this morning to collect "the right one" which is indeed smets2 from what i can see on the helpful link in the thread. At least he's back in the morning and we'll be up and running. BTW my meter readings are due on the 8th, i took photos of both meters this morning but i'll cross that bridge if i need to
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @BobS
    Cheers for the feedback.
    To be fair the engineer was superb. HOWEVER I'm from a "documentation" background, why aren't the engineers aware that "adoption" takes "roughly XX minutes" at which point they can take a break and go have lunch / tidy their van / surf the internet or whatever. That isn't a specific dig at pure planet
    BUT every company seems to have a "slightly different install" so how is one to know exactly what to do eh and how long it takes with "company yy" and opposed to "company xx"

Now the bigger question is why does a gas meter lock for 12 hours if it's woken up 20 times? that should be easily programmable once commissioned eh

I have a technology background btw and wonder why companies are struggling so badly, are folks really so incompetent these days that something which should be simple become convoluted and difficult.

Bear in mind the install was booked/agreed for Thursday and he had been sent a smets1 meter which he rightly didn't attempt to fit so drove to swansea this morning to collect "the right one" which is indeed smets2 from what i can see on the helpful link in the thread. At least he's back in the morning and we'll be up and running. BTW my meter readings are due on the 8th, i took photos of both meters this morning but i'll cross that bridge if i need to

BTW my meter readings are due on the 8th, i took photos of both meters this morning but i'll cross that bridge if i need to
    And it would appear i need to. Electric got ""closing" reading on 5/7/19 but gas has never had "closing" entered so when i read the metersd last week the app would NOT take the reading as it was "too low" and i had to enter it via the webpage (go figure) now i sent both closing readings the day he did the install but the gas one has never appeared, any chance we can get this fixed ?
    BTW my meter readings are due on the 8th, i took photos of both meters this morning but i'll cross that bridge if i need to
    And it would appear i need to. Electric got ""closing" reading on 5/7/19 but gas has never had "closing" entered so when i read the metersd last week the app would NOT take the reading as it was "too low" and i had to enter it via the webpage (go figure) now i sent both closing readings the day he did the install but the gas one has never appeared, any chance we can get this fixed ?