• What is the last thing you bought online?

Hey guys

I got home yesterday to find a 'smart plug' had been delivered.

It's called a wifi plug (I was inspired by members @UncleScooby and @jelockwood and @G4RHL who know a lot about smart homes!) which I had actually forgotten buying.

Name:  Apple HomeKit wifi plug.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  52.7 KB

Not 100% sure what I'll do with it! Although last night I did work out how to ask my phone to switch a lamp on and off. Which was nice!

It got me thinking - that we buy some funny old things online these days. What's the last thing that you bought online and was delivered to your door? (physical/real stuff only, nothing digital).
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Hey guys

I got home yesterday to find a 'smart plug' had been delivered.

It's called a wifi plug (I was inspired by members @UncleScooby and @jelockwood and @G4RHL who know a lot about smart homes!) which I had actually forgotten buying.

Name:  Apple HomeKit wifi plug.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  52.7 KB

Not 100% sure what I'll do with it! Although last night I did work out how to ask my phone to switch a lamp on and off. Which was nice!

It got me thinking - that we buy some funny old things online these days. What's the last thing that you bought online and was delivered to your door? (physical/real stuff only, nothing digital).

• The next step is to use Siri or Alexa to 'talk' to it.

You can also use their app to monitor energy usage by the appliance plugged in to it i.e. your currently plugged in lamp.

They also have some fun things you can setup as listed here - https://wifiplug.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...-Things-to-Try

A more useful thing is to have a motion sensor somewhere which when it detects motion triggers turning on the light - to discourage would be thieves.

The are all sorts of types of motion sensors, some are Z-Wave only, some Zigbee only, some HomeKit only. The most flexible in terms of compatibility would be a Philips Hue motion sensor along with the Philips Hue bridge. The sensor is Zigbee but the bridge makes it work with HomeKit, Alexa, etc.

If you have other existing smart home stuff some of it may already be suitable for this.
  • The next step is to use Siri or Alexa to 'talk' to it.

You can also use their app to monitor energy usage by the appliance plugged in to it i.e. your currently plugged in lamp.

They also have some fun things you can setup as listed here - https://wifiplug.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...-Things-to-Try

A more useful thing is to have a motion sensor somewhere which when it detects motion triggers turning on the light - to discourage would be thieves.

The are all sorts of types of motion sensors, some are Z-Wave only, some Zigbee only, some HomeKit only. The most flexible in terms of compatibility would be a Philips Hue motion sensor along with the Philips Hue bridge. The sensor is Zigbee but the bridge makes it work with HomeKit, Alexa, etc.

If you have other existing smart home stuff some of it may already be suitable for this.
  • Socks 🧦🙄🙄🙄. Ultra disappointing too, may I add! 😖

Ordered what I thought were thick longish slouch socks (like I wore early 90s for aerobics 💪), thinking they’d be perfect this winter for my boots 👢👢and long treks to from work 🏃*♀️.

Oh how disappointed I was 😫👎. They are absolute 💩😡! Soooooo thin and flimsy! Chinese effort! Waste of my money! Lesson learnt!

- - - Updated - - -

Be careful you don’t become an obese couch potato Marc 🛋🥔with all this robotic 🤖👾technology 🙄😂😉of yours!
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Socks 🧦🙄🙄🙄. Ultra disappointing too, may I add! 😖

Ordered what I thought were thick longish slouch socks (like I wore early 90s for aerobics 💪), thinking they’d be perfect this winter for my boots 👢👢and long treks to from work 🏃*♀️.

Oh how disappointed I was 😫👎. They are absolute 💩😡! Soooooo thin and flimsy! Chinese effort! Waste of my money! Lesson learnt!

- - - Updated - - -

Be careful you don’t become an obese couch potato Marc 🛋🥔with all this robotic 🤖👾technology 🙄😂😉of yours!

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by jelockwood View Post
    The next step is to use Siri or Alexa to 'talk' to it.

Thanks @jelockwood
    Some great info there, nice one
    So far I've managed to set up a Siri Shortcut (using the new Shortcuts app that comes with iOS12) so that I use a specific phrase and Siri turns the lamp on or off. Pretty cool!
    I do like the idea of the lamp blinking whenever ISS passes over. And the IFTTT applet for the lamp coming on or off when I enter or leave a specific area. I'll have a play with that and report back!
    Your home must be like NASA....

• Quote Originally Posted by jelockwood View Post
    The next step is to use Siri or Alexa to 'talk' to it.

Thanks @jelockwood
    Some great info there, nice one
    So far I've managed to set up a Siri Shortcut (using the new Shortcuts app that comes with iOS12) so that I use a specific phrase and Siri turns the lamp on or off. Pretty cool!
    I do like the idea of the lamp blinking whenever ISS passes over. And the IFTTT applet for the lamp coming on or off when I enter or leave a specific area. I'll have a play with that and report back!
    Your home must be like NASA....

• A map and guide book. Yes, paper, not digital. I normally buy digital versions of books, but find a paper map useful and find printed guide books (with decent index) more comprehensive and useful for browsing.

Bill
  • A map and guide book. Yes, paper, not digital. I normally buy digital versions of books, but find a paper map useful and find printed guide books (with decent index) more comprehensive and useful for browsing.

Bill
  • Just made a purchase of 48 ostrich burgers.
  • Just made a purchase of 48 ostrich burgers.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Just made a purchase of 48 ostrich burgers.
    😖😥🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮👎

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Just made a purchase of 48 ostrich burgers.
    😖😥🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮👎

WALT WHITMAN
  • Christmas presents 🎅🎄
  • Christmas presents 🎅🎄
  • Technically for me it was PP

- - - Updated - - -

Talking of Home Automation, check out a Raspberry PI running Domoticz, then the fun can really begin. We now monitor and control all kinds of devices round the house from the fish tank to ceiling lights to CCTV to the weather outside. It gets quite addictive (& expensive!)
  • Technically for me it was PP

- - - Updated - - -

Talking of Home Automation, check out a Raspberry PI running Domoticz, then the fun can really begin. We now monitor and control all kinds of devices round the house from the fish tank to ceiling lights to CCTV to the weather outside. It gets quite addictive (& expensive!)