• Solar panels v smart meter

Someone asked this question previously but it wasn't answered.

I have solar panels supplying electricity (50% of summer usage) and becaise the unused electricity is fed back into tje grid, smart meters cannot read credots only debits from the grid. Tjetefore, one cannot have a smart meter installed if the property jas these pamels.

This is separate to the feed-in tariff qiestion you answered.

Here are 2 questions on this issue:

1. Will you force smart meters on customers? (They would have to switch elsewhere if they have solar panels, which defeats the green credentials of your business).

2. Where no feed-in tarriff is paid to the Customer (where a third party owner gets the money and has their own generation meter fitted - as I have), can they sign up with you as their supplier?

I need to know this begore switching to you (and so do my green friends!)

Thanks!
    Excuse spelling errors as v small screen text area to see on Amdroid
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Someone asked this question previously but it wasn't answered.

I have solar panels supplying electricity (50% of summer usage) and becaise the unused electricity is fed back into tje grid, smart meters cannot read credots only debits from the grid. Tjetefore, one cannot have a smart meter installed if the property jas these pamels.

This is separate to the feed-in tariff qiestion you answered.

Here are 2 questions on this issue:

1. Will you force smart meters on customers? (They would have to switch elsewhere if they have solar panels, which defeats the green credentials of your business).

2. Where no feed-in tarriff is paid to the Customer (where a third party owner gets the money and has their own generation meter fitted - as I have), can they sign up with you as their supplier?

I need to know this begore switching to you (and so do my green friends!)

Thanks!
    Excuse spelling errors as v small screen text area to see on Amdroid
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hi @terrypc and welcome. Some great questions!

Whilst we recommend smart meters and the benefits they’ll bring in terms of energy efficiency and control for consumers, we won’t ‘force’ smart meters on our members.

We don’t have a Feed-in-Tariff but yes, you should be able to switch you general energy supply to Pure Planet and keep your FIT with the current supplier.

Is this all the info you need? Happy to keep chatting and to provide more info. Also, head to this post for some more explanation from us around our future smart meter plans.
    Last edited by Toby; 02-11-17 at 09:25.
  • Hi @terrypc and welcome. Some great questions!

Whilst we recommend smart meters and the benefits they’ll bring in terms of energy efficiency and control for consumers, we won’t ‘force’ smart meters on our members.

We don’t have a Feed-in-Tariff but yes, you should be able to switch you general energy supply to Pure Planet and keep your FIT with the current supplier.

Is this all the info you need? Happy to keep chatting and to provide more info. Also, head to this post for some more explanation from us around our future smart meter plans.

• Is export on domestic arrays not deemed?

- - - Updated - - -

Terrypc. My experience with smart meters is that that they don't work. I've had one for 6 months with the wrong tariffs loaded on the consumer display and every bill estimated. EDF installed but no data of any use on their website. I was better off with a dumb meter and a man in a van.

It's possible future smart meters will act as export meters for microgen but from what I've seen they barely add any value to an import supply at present.

I wouldn't let that stop you changing supplier. You will still get your FiT.
  • Is export on domestic arrays not deemed?

- - - Updated - - -

Terrypc. My experience with smart meters is that that they don't work. I've had one for 6 months with the wrong tariffs loaded on the consumer display and every bill estimated. EDF installed but no data of any use on their website. I was better off with a dumb meter and a man in a van.

It's possible future smart meters will act as export meters for microgen but from what I've seen they barely add any value to an import supply at present.

I wouldn't let that stop you changing supplier. You will still get your FiT.

• I have had solar panels for the last 8 years and an old style meter which runs backward when the panels are generating more than I am using. In summer days the excess electricity runs the meter back then at night I use some of the power I have 'stored' during the day. Evrry year I have a fight with the supplier when they see the reading in October is less than the reading in April. Morally I need to accept thst the meter be replaced with a smart meter which does not run backward, but will only agree to this if my new supplier guarantees that their smart meter will work with the solar panels.
  • I have had solar panels for the last 8 years and an old style meter which runs backward when the panels are generating more than I am using. In summer days the excess electricity runs the meter back then at night I use some of the power I have 'stored' during the day. Evrry year I have a fight with the supplier when they see the reading in October is less than the reading in April. Morally I need to accept thst the meter be replaced with a smart meter which does not run backward, but will only agree to this if my new supplier guarantees that their smart meter will work with the solar panels.

• Hi brownbear.
    You should have a feed in meter installed which would of prevented this situation. However a new 2nd gen smart meter should be able to cope with it.
  • Hi brownbear.
    You should have a feed in meter installed which would of prevented this situation. However a new 2nd gen smart meter should be able to cope with it.

• The real question here is will Smart meters reliably measure the amount of energy exported.
    (A simple yes doesn't cut it for me)
    Even if the answer I got to that question was an unequivocal yes, I'd like to see evidence and I still wouldn't be an early adopter in those circumstances because I'm a cynic and I don't believe the training given to the meter installers is sufficiently robust to cover the myriad configurations of home generation installations reliably.
    The technology has been in existence long enough to expect virtually zero install errors/problems, but reports seem to suggest that even with simple installs there are problems.
    I know some installations are going to go wrong and I know it's going to take months or years to be as sure as one can be that the billing figures will be good.
    Fortunately smart meters aren't compulsory (but they will be presented as such...a different issue entirely), so if it ain't broke (at the moment), don't fix it.
    Last edited by woz; 16-12-18 at 22:21. Reason: my horse has returned
  • The real question here is will Smart meters reliably measure the amount of energy exported.
    (A simple yes doesn't cut it for me)
    Even if the answer I got to that question was an unequivocal yes, I'd like to see evidence and I still wouldn't be an early adopter in those circumstances because I'm a cynic and I don't believe the training given to the meter installers is sufficiently robust to cover the myriad configurations of home generation installations reliably.
    The technology has been in existence long enough to expect virtually zero install errors/problems, but reports seem to suggest that even with simple installs there are problems.
    I know some installations are going to go wrong and I know it's going to take months or years to be as sure as one can be that the billing figures will be good.
    Fortunately smart meters aren't compulsory (but they will be presented as such...a different issue entirely), so if it ain't broke (at the moment), don't fix it.

• @woz in my experience solar panels and the like are frequently mis installed causing meters to go backwards. Unfortunately this appears to be due to the limited 50% deem policy that FIT introduced.

Smart meters will be able to accurately record generation recorded on the export supply at a premises but, again, domestic setups rarely have a secondary, export, meter point set up which leads to the panels being directly wired into the meter but being paid on a deemed rate by the FIT licensee. What should happen is the panels are installed alongside a meter that is capable of not going backwards and not recording (unless there is a secondary MPAN).

I believe there is work going on a Often to look at FITs and their usefulness. I know I might be biased but smart should really help in this area (with the caveat that they should be installed correctly)
  • @woz in my experience solar panels and the like are frequently mis installed causing meters to go backwards. Unfortunately this appears to be due to the limited 50% deem policy that FIT introduced.

Smart meters will be able to accurately record generation recorded on the export supply at a premises but, again, domestic setups rarely have a secondary, export, meter point set up which leads to the panels being directly wired into the meter but being paid on a deemed rate by the FIT licensee. What should happen is the panels are installed alongside a meter that is capable of not going backwards and not recording (unless there is a secondary MPAN).

I believe there is work going on a Often to look at FITs and their usefulness. I know I might be biased but smart should really help in this area (with the caveat that they should be installed correctly)

• I agree and that was precisely my point - I don't believe the installers will be sufficiently well trained or familiar. If you had a setup which was working properly would you take the chance as an early adopter- I wouldn't.
    In case I get lynched by a mob of experienced installers, I'm not saying there aren't installers who who won't get it right...
    As for solar panels are frequently mis-installed, it beggars belief that the installers aren't held responsible for subsequent losses.
    I have no doubt the Smart meters are technically able to accurately measure the export, after all why would you design one these days which wasn't able to do that but without a proper inspection regime in place I stand by my post. (...and if there is a proper inspection regime then the inspectors clearly don't know their stuff either because there would be zero meters going backwards if they did)
    What about a mandatory technical inspection after every Smart install and every microgen install?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmart View Post
    @woz in my experience solar panels and the like are frequently mis installed causing meters to go backwards.
    Unfortunately this appears to be due to the limited 50% deem policy that FIT introduced.

• I agree and that was precisely my point - I don't believe the installers will be sufficiently well trained or familiar. If you had a setup which was working properly would you take the chance as an early adopter- I wouldn't.
    In case I get lynched by a mob of experienced installers, I'm not saying there aren't installers who who won't get it right...
    As for solar panels are frequently mis-installed, it beggars belief that the installers aren't held responsible for subsequent losses.
    I have no doubt the Smart meters are technically able to accurately measure the export, after all why would you design one these days which wasn't able to do that but without a proper inspection regime in place I stand by my post. (...and if there is a proper inspection regime then the inspectors clearly don't know their stuff either because there would be zero meters going backwards if they did)
    What about a mandatory technical inspection after every Smart install and every microgen install?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmart View Post
    @woz in my experience solar panels and the like are frequently mis installed causing meters to go backwards.
    Unfortunately this appears to be due to the limited 50% deem policy that FIT introduced.