Poll: Dealing with the Tundra temperatures!

• Winter fuel bills 🧀🧣πŸ”₯β„οΈπŸŒ‘πŸ’·πŸ•―

With dark colder nights drawing in, and winter fast approaching, just interested to know how you deal with / embrace it:
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • With dark colder nights drawing in, and winter fast approaching, just interested to know how you deal with / embrace it:

WALT WHITMAN
  • Great poll @Bev
    For me it depends if I'm feeling tight or generous
    I know some people won't touch the heating until December the earliest!
    I'm into the big jumpers but I'll have the heating at about 17 degrees too
    Mankini? Shudder....... (I was tempted to find a GIF to post here)
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Great poll @Bev
    For me it depends if I'm feeling tight or generous
    I know some people won't touch the heating until December the earliest!
    I'm into the big jumpers but I'll have the heating at about 17 degrees too
    Mankini? Shudder....... (I was tempted to find a GIF to post here)
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚re GIF, pleeeeease DON’T πŸ˜³πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

So sadly no gas supply so sadly central heating not an option, otherwise I sooooo know I’d bump it up and stay cosy.

But with leccy only, I’m like you Marc in the jumper respect, solely because the leccy heat options are a bit πŸ’©πŸ‘ŽπŸ˜. I use them, but far from ideal and mega mega mega costly, so plenty of 🧦🧦🧦🧦🧦, loads of hot 🚿🚿🚿🚿🚿and sometimes two duvets πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚but my reasons are purely due to the lack of gas supply here πŸ˜πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘Ž.

hey thanks for liking the polly πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚re GIF, pleeeeease DON’T πŸ˜³πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

So sadly no gas supply so sadly central heating not an option, otherwise I sooooo know I’d bump it up and stay cosy.

But with leccy only, I’m like you Marc in the jumper respect, solely because the leccy heat options are a bit πŸ’©πŸ‘ŽπŸ˜. I use them, but far from ideal and mega mega mega costly, so plenty of 🧦🧦🧦🧦🧦, loads of hot 🚿🚿🚿🚿🚿and sometimes two duvets πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚but my reasons are purely due to the lack of gas supply here πŸ˜πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘Ž.

hey thanks for liking the polly πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Hey bev.
    Another poll. I am very lucky that i dont actually pay the bill but im still a tight arse and it wont be going on till the girls in the office start moaning they are freezing.
    You can get electric central heating. We have it in one part of the building, an amptec flow boiler is what you need.there tiny and take up no space what so ever, no servicing or vents so can go anywhere.
  • Hey bev.
    Another poll. I am very lucky that i dont actually pay the bill but im still a tight arse and it wont be going on till the girls in the office start moaning they are freezing.
    You can get electric central heating. We have it in one part of the building, an amptec flow boiler is what you need.there tiny and take up no space what so ever, no servicing or vents so can go anywhere.
  • Thanks Jon! οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½, had no absolute idea! οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½
    Last edited by Bev; 17-09-18 at 18:04. Reason: Typo

WALT WHITMAN
  • Thanks Jon! οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½, had no absolute idea! οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½

WALT WHITMAN
  • I'm lucky I live in a sheltered housing flat, ch is paid in Service charge, the elderly folks here get so cold, so our gas ch is controlled by a computer at HW n wot temp is outside. Its so hot in these flats in Summer, I had my ceiling fan on day n night, but wen its freezing cold out in Nov its nice t turn up ch, after being outside. I am knitting lots of hats, cowls, gloves, mitts n loadsa colourful socks for my Etsy shop. The sox get snapped up so fast I can't knit em fast enuf.

I bought a lovely, 'soft as a kitten' 🐈 jumpurr today, I thought it must be wool n cashmere with silk but no it is poly/acrylic. It has embroideted flowers over left side, I don't usually like acrylic yarn, but these days its so soft. Can't beat wool socks n a nice cuddly FI or Aran wool πŸ‘ jumper.

- - - Updated - - -

Never heard of an amptec flow boiler. Is this some new heating imvention?
    Last edited by Kniterella; 17-09-18 at 19:15.
    Peace and Luve

Yours in Stitches

Ory 🌏🌞
  • I'm lucky I live in a sheltered housing flat, ch is paid in Service charge, the elderly folks here get so cold, so our gas ch is controlled by a computer at HW n wot temp is outside. Its so hot in these flats in Summer, I had my ceiling fan on day n night, but wen its freezing cold out in Nov its nice t turn up ch, after being outside. I am knitting lots of hats, cowls, gloves, mitts n loadsa colourful socks for my Etsy shop. The sox get snapped up so fast I can't knit em fast enuf.

I bought a lovely, 'soft as a kitten' 🐈 jumpurr today, I thought it must be wool n cashmere with silk but no it is poly/acrylic. It has embroideted flowers over left side, I don't usually like acrylic yarn, but these days its so soft. Can't beat wool socks n a nice cuddly FI or Aran wool πŸ‘ jumper.

- - - Updated - - -

Never heard of an amptec flow boiler. Is this some new heating imvention?
    Peace and Luve

Yours in Stitches

Ory 🌏🌞
  • oops, missed this one but unable to vote as my vote will be cancelled by the rest of the occupants (I'll leave you to guess why, suffice to say they don't pay the bills!)
  • oops, missed this one but unable to vote as my vote will be cancelled by the rest of the occupants (I'll leave you to guess why, suffice to say they don't pay the bills!)
  • I used to be really tight with putting the heating on but I've decided that if needs must.
    Also, getting hive installed has been a revelation and I'm sure will save me some cash as it is a lot more schedulable (is that a word?!) and I can switch it off with the touch of a button rather than having to be in the house and think about it a bit more.

My house has fairly big rooms and takes forever to heat up just 1 degree so I was toying with between option 2 on the poll and option 3. The only reason I didn't go for option 3 is that my OH usually puts the heating AND gas fire on in the lounge, I come home and switch it off
  • I used to be really tight with putting the heating on but I've decided that if needs must.
    Also, getting hive installed has been a revelation and I'm sure will save me some cash as it is a lot more schedulable (is that a word?!) and I can switch it off with the touch of a button rather than having to be in the house and think about it a bit more.

My house has fairly big rooms and takes forever to heat up just 1 degree so I was toying with between option 2 on the poll and option 3. The only reason I didn't go for option 3 is that my OH usually puts the heating AND gas fire on in the lounge, I come home and switch it off
  • @Bev, central heating is always an option even without gas. Air/Ground source heat pumps, BIOMASS, Electric Water heating combined with Solar lots of different options. Some of them are expensive but the governments renewable heat incentive (RHI) can help with the costs and if your current heating is electric only then it can save a lot of money in the long run. RHI is geared to try and give you a 7 year return on the investment. Modern Storage/Fan heaters coupled with Central control can also make heating from electric less inconvenient.
  • @Bev, central heating is always an option even without gas. Air/Ground source heat pumps, BIOMASS, Electric Water heating combined with Solar lots of different options. Some of them are expensive but the governments renewable heat incentive (RHI) can help with the costs and if your current heating is electric only then it can save a lot of money in the long run. RHI is geared to try and give you a 7 year return on the investment. Modern Storage/Fan heaters coupled with Central control can also make heating from electric less inconvenient.
  • Thank you uncle Scooby πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Thank you uncle Scooby πŸ‘

WALT WHITMAN
  • Sadly it's one of the laws of physics that those who aren't responsible for the bills get colder than those who are.
    I have graphs and research to prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmart View Post
    I used to be really tight with putting the heating on but I've decided that if needs must.

• Sadly it's one of the laws of physics that those who aren't responsible for the bills get colder than those who are.
    I have graphs and research to prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmart View Post
    I used to be really tight with putting the heating on but I've decided that if needs must.

• .....as the office proves, Woz! Bleeding sauna πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ˜‘πŸ˜“πŸ˜“! Bet their homes are the bloomin Tundra πŸ€­β„οΈβ„οΈβ„οΈβ„οΈ

WALT WHITMAN
  • .....as the office proves, Woz! Bleeding sauna πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ˜‘πŸ˜“πŸ˜“! Bet their homes are the bloomin Tundra πŸ€­β„οΈβ„οΈβ„οΈβ„οΈ

WALT WHITMAN
  • Need more "bad boys"

Interesting how most people voted for the watching bills option
  • Need more "bad boys"

• Sadly coming from a β€˜mixed race’ family (Dad was Scottish and Mother born in Yorkshire - apparently that is the tightest combination you can find !) i am very cost conscious and constantly follow the kids and wife around the house turning things off. Even though everything we have is LED or low energy based I just cant help it....maybe I’m a hidden β€˜Greenie’at heart....

TonyMcH

Quote Originally Posted by dgilbert2 View Post
    Need more "bad boys"

• Sadly coming from a β€˜mixed race’ family (Dad was Scottish and Mother born in Yorkshire - apparently that is the tightest combination you can find !) i am very cost conscious and constantly follow the kids and wife around the house turning things off. Even though everything we have is LED or low energy based I just cant help it....maybe I’m a hidden β€˜Greenie’at heart....

TonyMcH

Quote Originally Posted by dgilbert2 View Post
    Need more "bad boys"

• Interestingly, my son used to have his room quite warm, and used to leave TV, computers etc left on. Looking into his room, all you could see were standby lights and glows from various devices.
    He moved into his own home this weekend and he goes round switching everything off at the wall socket, he also hasn't had the heating on yet. When I asking about it he showed me his smart meter and says have you seen how much it costs. Funny it never bothered him when I was paying.
    Last edited by Duppy; 13-11-18 at 18:48.
  • Interestingly, my son used to have his room quite warm, and used to leave TV, computers etc left on. Looking into his room, all you could see were standby lights and glows from various devices.
    He moved into his own home this weekend and he goes round switching everything off at the wall socket, he also hasn't had the heating on yet. When I asking about it he showed me his smart meter and says have you seen how much it costs. Funny it never bothered him when I was paying.
  • @Duppy, your post made me smile, I can still associate with that one . All part of growing up I guess, just need my wife now to have the same "switch it off" stance LOL.
  • @Duppy, your post made me smile, I can still associate with that one . All part of growing up I guess, just need my wife now to have the same "switch it off" stance LOL.
  • Very good post, Duppy. I larfed too Gil πŸ‘πŸ˜‚

WALT WHITMAN
  • Very good post, Duppy. I larfed too Gil πŸ‘πŸ˜‚

WALT WHITMAN
  • @Bev larf!!!!???? if that like a baff
  • @Bev larf!!!!???? if that like a baff
  • Hee hee hee hee, love using that spelling πŸ€ͺ😁😁😁

WALT WHITMAN
  • Hee hee hee hee, love using that spelling πŸ€ͺ😁😁😁

WALT WHITMAN
  • We've reduced our bills by using as much gas ch than electric heaters. Also don't use the electric kettle or toaster, instead we use the an old fashion kettle on the stove and the grill to make toasts.
  • We've reduced our bills by using as much gas ch than electric heaters. Also don't use the electric kettle or toaster, instead we use the an old fashion kettle on the stove and the grill to make toasts.