• Cannot reach PurePlanet, should I continue?

Hi, community,

I just signed up about 10 days ago to switch based on the significant savings vs my existing suppliers plus I do like the idea the sources are renewable.

However, when I got the final estimate back from PP, I saw it was based on a much lower electricity usage than I had originally submitted.

I submitted the issue via the webbot and asked for someone to call me. All I got back was some anodyne message saying did I know I could save 400 for something. The emails I get announcing tariff changes or indeed anything are from “No-Reply”. I am now concerned that the company is so lean and essentially virtual such that there will not be anyone available if there is a serious problem such as an outage. In the meantime, if I can’t reach anyone to analyse the data before a switch, it doesn’t seem the customer is relevant.

In the meantime, I have put the switching process on hold by not submitting the final readings and will inform the existing suppliers to pause next week (they have their issues too, but at least they have people and respond).

What would the community suggest?

Many thanks
    Tap below to see the best answer
  • Hi, community,

I just signed up about 10 days ago to switch based on the significant savings vs my existing suppliers plus I do like the idea the sources are renewable.

However, when I got the final estimate back from PP, I saw it was based on a much lower electricity usage than I had originally submitted.

I submitted the issue via the webbot and asked for someone to call me. All I got back was some anodyne message saying did I know I could save 400 for something. The emails I get announcing tariff changes or indeed anything are from “No-Reply”. I am now concerned that the company is so lean and essentially virtual such that there will not be anyone available if there is a serious problem such as an outage. In the meantime, if I can’t reach anyone to analyse the data before a switch, it doesn’t seem the customer is relevant.

In the meantime, I have put the switching process on hold by not submitting the final readings and will inform the existing suppliers to pause next week (they have their issues too, but at least they have people and respond).

Many thanks
    Tap below to see the best answer

• Best Answer

Hello and welcome to the community.

The whole estimate situation is a bit confusing. On offical documents it will be an estimate based on "average" use.this is a standard industry enforced figure used by all suppliers apparently it makes it easier to compare suppliers.
    In the real world you would of got a quote based on your actual usage when you started the sign up process.if you go into:- my account then my payments it will show what your actual payments will be based on the info you gave when signing up.
    PP indeed do not have a call centre but if any serious issues occur they will contact you immediatly but usual contact is via wattbot or email.this community is also very helpful if you have any questions.
    Just a footnote not supplying meter readings as far as im aware will not pause the switch.if you do indeed feel that the whole app based idea is not for you then you will have to cancel the switch.the way PP do things is a first for the utility industry and does take some getting used to. I have 2 accts with them now and am saving nearly 20% v SSE and had nothing but good service.
    With the wattbot you have to type:- message the team. Then it will ask for some personnal details.if not then all you are doing is asking a question to which you may or maynot get the answer you were lookjng for
    Last edited by Jon1; 08-09-18 at 09:13.
  • Hello and welcome to the community.

The whole estimate situation is a bit confusing. On offical documents it will be an estimate based on "average" use.this is a standard industry enforced figure used by all suppliers apparently it makes it easier to compare suppliers.
    In the real world you would of got a quote based on your actual usage when you started the sign up process.if you go into:- my account then my payments it will show what your actual payments will be based on the info you gave when signing up.
    PP indeed do not have a call centre but if any serious issues occur they will contact you immediatly but usual contact is via wattbot or email.this community is also very helpful if you have any questions.
    Just a footnote not supplying meter readings as far as im aware will not pause the switch.if you do indeed feel that the whole app based idea is not for you then you will have to cancel the switch.the way PP do things is a first for the utility industry and does take some getting used to. I have 2 accts with them now and am saving nearly 20% v SSE and had nothing but good service.
    With the wattbot you have to type:- message the team. Then it will ask for some personnal details.if not then all you are doing is asking a question to which you may or maynot get the answer you were lookjng for

• Best Answer

Hi there and welcome!
    In my experience you rarely need to call the Supplier and speak to someone as they're only dealing with the billing side of the energy.
    If there's a major problem with your supply it wouldn't be the supplier that you would speak to it would be the distribution network operators (Transco, as was for gas and the local electricity distribution company for power outages) these numbers can always be found on bills and the gas one is national - 0800 111 999 if you smell gas or go off supply.

If Pure is cheapest for you I really wouldn't worry about them not having someone on the end of the phone within minutes, there's a reason they're cheaper because they don't have to pay for buildings and bums on seats. The community are very helpful and for billing enquiries I don't think I've ever encountered an issue that needed to be responded to quicker than a couple of days.
  • Hi there and welcome!
    In my experience you rarely need to call the Supplier and speak to someone as they're only dealing with the billing side of the energy.
    If there's a major problem with your supply it wouldn't be the supplier that you would speak to it would be the distribution network operators (Transco, as was for gas and the local electricity distribution company for power outages) these numbers can always be found on bills and the gas one is national - 0800 111 999 if you smell gas or go off supply.

If Pure is cheapest for you I really wouldn't worry about them not having someone on the end of the phone within minutes, there's a reason they're cheaper because they don't have to pay for buildings and bums on seats. The community are very helpful and for billing enquiries I don't think I've ever encountered an issue that needed to be responded to quicker than a couple of days.

• Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply, Jon1.

Just to add, though, I am fine with the concept of user-provided support, but I do believe it needs to be backed by a real organisation that can be contacted and responds. Email is fine, chat even better if the strategy is to avoid call centres, but the quid pro quo surely has to be a quick and relevant response from the company? Electricity is so vital (no posting without it!) that its supply needs to be treated with respect.

I did realise that not supplying the meter readings won’t stop the process; I need to respond to EDF’s email asking if I would like to reconsider for that to happen, but I don’t want to do that until I can get a better sense of whether PP is a sustainable, reliable and responsive entity or not. You have clearly had a decent experience to date which is a relevant data point.

I’ll see if I get anything back from the company but in the meantime I do appreciate your having taken the trouble to respond.

Kind regards
  • Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply, Jon1.

Just to add, though, I am fine with the concept of user-provided support, but I do believe it needs to be backed by a real organisation that can be contacted and responds. Email is fine, chat even better if the strategy is to avoid call centres, but the quid pro quo surely has to be a quick and relevant response from the company? Electricity is so vital (no posting without it!) that its supply needs to be treated with respect.

I did realise that not supplying the meter readings won’t stop the process; I need to respond to EDF’s email asking if I would like to reconsider for that to happen, but I don’t want to do that until I can get a better sense of whether PP is a sustainable, reliable and responsive entity or not. You have clearly had a decent experience to date which is a relevant data point.

I’ll see if I get anything back from the company but in the meantime I do appreciate your having taken the trouble to respond.

Kind regards

• hi Lornesum and welcome
    when you signed up were you not asked for your consumption figures? Normally (I think) your DD would be set using the figures submitted? Anyway if not, and you know your figures your DD can be easily amended with a simple trip to help in the app, ask wattbot, and type "message the team"
    Even if you were to switch at a lower estimate it's something which can be put right fairly easily, and "cough" it would be to your advantage because the first payment is taken as soon as you switch, and at that point you'll be paying 2 providers for about 6 weeks (that's normal by the way- if it's a problem you would contact edf (if in credit) and ask for the minimum DD).
    My experience so far has been positive, (apart from spending far too much time on the community!)
    you'll be fine as long as you can get to grips with no call centre and PP being app based.
    Do you know about the summer/winter split for the DD?

Quote Originally Posted by Lornesom View Post
    Hi, community,

Many thanks
    Last edited by woz; 08-09-18 at 19:47. Reason: floor not level
  • hi Lornesum and welcome
    when you signed up were you not asked for your consumption figures? Normally (I think) your DD would be set using the figures submitted? Anyway if not, and you know your figures your DD can be easily amended with a simple trip to help in the app, ask wattbot, and type "message the team"
    Even if you were to switch at a lower estimate it's something which can be put right fairly easily, and "cough" it would be to your advantage because the first payment is taken as soon as you switch, and at that point you'll be paying 2 providers for about 6 weeks (that's normal by the way- if it's a problem you would contact edf (if in credit) and ask for the minimum DD).
    My experience so far has been positive, (apart from spending far too much time on the community!)
    you'll be fine as long as you can get to grips with no call centre and PP being app based.
    Do you know about the summer/winter split for the DD?

Hi, community,

Many thanks

• Thanks very much, woz and others, for replying.

I am minded to continue with PP and I take the point that one rarely needs to contact a supplier anyway. Most of the time I had to speak with EDF or BG it was to deal with a billing issue, so I hope with the PP approach it is the community that will be vigilant as to the real rates achieved; this is pretty complex, as who knows how much of anything we are really using when we rely on an old box with a dial on it we treat as absolute, and then some computer that says it’s £1000 at a tariff which moves beyond our control... I was a bit bothered that within 2 weeks of my signing up, I get a mail saying my rates are going up by a meaningful extent (but not “so do you still want to continue?”). This is our urban life: I look forward to when I can generate my own electricity but a fat turbine on the roof won’t go down well in central London, nor will my cold fusion pocket reactor. Till then let’s make the best of this solution - and stay vigilant.

Best regards
  • Thanks very much, woz and others, for replying.

I am minded to continue with PP and I take the point that one rarely needs to contact a supplier anyway. Most of the time I had to speak with EDF or BG it was to deal with a billing issue, so I hope with the PP approach it is the community that will be vigilant as to the real rates achieved; this is pretty complex, as who knows how much of anything we are really using when we rely on an old box with a dial on it we treat as absolute, and then some computer that says it’s £1000 at a tariff which moves beyond our control... I was a bit bothered that within 2 weeks of my signing up, I get a mail saying my rates are going up by a meaningful extent (but not “so do you still want to continue?”). This is our urban life: I look forward to when I can generate my own electricity but a fat turbine on the roof won’t go down well in central London, nor will my cold fusion pocket reactor. Till then let’s make the best of this solution - and stay vigilant.

Best regards

• hi @Lornesom
    Can you send me the plans for your pocket cold fusion reactor please, allegedly you now don't need planning permission for anything at all up North.
    You make an interesting point about the price rise, you have a 14 day cooling off period, but from your post you were out of time.
    I agree with your sentiments but what we have here in part is a politeness issue, with real world implications.
    The message should have said blah blah very sorry about price increase, here's why, blah blah and if you're within your cooling off period you don't want to continue you can cancel your switch in the app..."
    This is something that PP should perhaps look at in future, but there are arguments to be made both ways.

Effectively under usual circumstances there would be a 3 (ish) day period where someone could have signed up where they can't stop the switch, this is because it normally takes 17 days to switch, you may cancel in the first 14 days. You fell into the 3 (ish) day period. (more about that later)

The notice period for price rises is normally 14 days (I can't remember how it's phrased in the T+C's and I can't be bothered checking, if the legal people have done their due diligence it should say "at least 14 days")
    In this case there was a duck up at PP's end and because they issued some test bills to real customers the news of the rise was out of the proverbial bag and they consequently announced it almost 2 weeks early.
    If it would have gone as originally planned you probably would have been 10 days or so into your contract when the rise was announced.
    The argument is a that with PP one is free to switch out without penalty, although, and I'm not sure of this, I think you may need to be with PP (or maybe any provider?) for a couple of weeks before you can switch back out,
    What I'm uncertain of is whether that 2 weeks includes your notice time i.e can you give notice on day 1 of your contract or do you have to wait until day 14? Can anyone confirm?

so..under normal circumstances if the price rise was announced (with 2 weeks notice) on say, day 15, it would take effect 11(ish) days into your contract.
    You'd be a PP customer at the old rate for 11 days, and thereafter at the new rate.

If it's the case that you have to be with PP for 2 weeks before you give notice, you would be 'disadvantaged' by how ever many days it took to switch out +3 days.
    However if it's the case that you can give notice to switch out on day 1 of your contract you'd only be disadvantaged by 3 days, plus the excess of any days over 14 that it took to switch out.
    Does that make sense?

edit: aplologies for any odd layout issues above, there are line spacing and font issues with this software.
    Thanks very much, woz and others, for replying.

Best regards
    Last edited by woz; 09-09-18 at 19:07. Reason: run out of fissionable material
  • hi @Lornesom
    Can you send me the plans for your pocket cold fusion reactor please, allegedly you now don't need planning permission for anything at all up North.
    You make an interesting point about the price rise, you have a 14 day cooling off period, but from your post you were out of time.
    I agree with your sentiments but what we have here in part is a politeness issue, with real world implications.
    The message should have said blah blah very sorry about price increase, here's why, blah blah and if you're within your cooling off period you don't want to continue you can cancel your switch in the app..."
    This is something that PP should perhaps look at in future, but there are arguments to be made both ways.

Effectively under usual circumstances there would be a 3 (ish) day period where someone could have signed up where they can't stop the switch, this is because it normally takes 17 days to switch, you may cancel in the first 14 days. You fell into the 3 (ish) day period. (more about that later)

The notice period for price rises is normally 14 days (I can't remember how it's phrased in the T+C's and I can't be bothered checking, if the legal people have done their due diligence it should say "at least 14 days")
    In this case there was a duck up at PP's end and because they issued some test bills to real customers the news of the rise was out of the proverbial bag and they consequently announced it almost 2 weeks early.
    If it would have gone as originally planned you probably would have been 10 days or so into your contract when the rise was announced.
    The argument is a that with PP one is free to switch out without penalty, although, and I'm not sure of this, I think you may need to be with PP (or maybe any provider?) for a couple of weeks before you can switch back out,
    What I'm uncertain of is whether that 2 weeks includes your notice time i.e can you give notice on day 1 of your contract or do you have to wait until day 14? Can anyone confirm?

so..under normal circumstances if the price rise was announced (with 2 weeks notice) on say, day 15, it would take effect 11(ish) days into your contract.
    You'd be a PP customer at the old rate for 11 days, and thereafter at the new rate.

If it's the case that you have to be with PP for 2 weeks before you give notice, you would be 'disadvantaged' by how ever many days it took to switch out +3 days.
    However if it's the case that you can give notice to switch out on day 1 of your contract you'd only be disadvantaged by 3 days, plus the excess of any days over 14 that it took to switch out.
    Does that make sense?

edit: aplologies for any odd layout issues above, there are line spacing and font issues with this software.
    Thanks very much, woz and others, for replying.

Best regards

• Hi @Lornesom

Welcome to the community!
    Nice one for getting stuck in
    I hope everything is on track for you
    Thanks @Jon1 and @woz and @MrSmart for being so helpful and friendly towards a new member
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Hi @Lornesom

Welcome to the community!
    Nice one for getting stuck in
    I hope everything is on track for you
    Thanks @Jon1 and @woz and @MrSmart for being so helpful and friendly towards a new member
    Community Manager - Pure Planet