• Members' rate change - 1 October 2018

Hello everyone,

We’ve announced a change to our Members’ rate - that’s the amount you pay for energy - and I wanted to give you more information here in the Community.

We’re not changing our monthly Membership fee. That’s staying at £8.50 per fuel a month (including VAT), and our dual fuel discount stays at £30 a year.

We’re only adjusting our Members’ rate (the unit kWh rates for renewable electricity and carbon offset gas).

As you know, our Members’ rate is based on wholesale energy costs. There’s zero markup on the energy you use. You pay no more than we pay.

New rates:

Name:  Pure Planet Member Rates 1 Oct 2018.JPG
Views: 2043
Size:  77.7 KB

Wholesale energy costs have risen significantly over recent months and, as our variable tariff is based on these costs, we need to make an increase to our Members’ rates, to reflect the price we pay for your energy.

The rate change will take effect for all existing members on 1 October 2018. For a typical household using both electricity and gas, the average cost will rise by 5.63%.

We’re emailing all Members over the next few days to explain the rate change, and what it means to you. It'll detail your new Members' rate, when the change will take effect, and your updated forecasted cost.

You can read much more detail on the background to the rate change in our blog, and how we compare to other energy suppliers, here.

Anyone getting a quote and joining Pure Planet today will also see the new rate, which will be in effect by the time their switch completes.

That’s it for now. Any questions? Let's talk about it below.

Last edited by Marc; 26-09-18 at 10:23. Reason: Fixing formatting issue with sub-heading
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Hello everyone,

We’ve announced a change to our Members’ rate - that’s the amount you pay for energy - and I wanted to give you more information here in the Community.

We’re not changing our monthly Membership fee. That’s staying at £8.50 per fuel a month (including VAT), and our dual fuel discount stays at £30 a year.

We’re only adjusting our Members’ rate (the unit kWh rates for renewable electricity and carbon offset gas).

As you know, our Members’ rate is based on wholesale energy costs. There’s zero markup on the energy you use. You pay no more than we pay.

New rates:

Name:  Pure Planet Member Rates 1 Oct 2018.JPG
Views: 2043
Size:  77.7 KB

Wholesale energy costs have risen significantly over recent months and, as our variable tariff is based on these costs, we need to make an increase to our Members’ rates, to reflect the price we pay for your energy.

The rate change will take effect for all existing members on 1 October 2018. For a typical household using both electricity and gas, the average cost will rise by 5.63%.

We’re emailing all Members over the next few days to explain the rate change, and what it means to you. It'll detail your new Members' rate, when the change will take effect, and your updated forecasted cost.

You can read much more detail on the background to the rate change in our blog, and how we compare to other energy suppliers, here.

Anyone getting a quote and joining Pure Planet today will also see the new rate, which will be in effect by the time their switch completes.

That’s it for now. Any questions? Let's talk about it below.

Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Ph well it is what it is,pretty sure im still saving £1000 per year compared to SSE, but it would help if i knew what region i was in.haha
  • Ph well it is what it is,pretty sure im still saving £1000 per year compared to SSE, but it would help if i knew what region i was in.haha
  • Thanks for the heads up, Marc. Good to hear the news from the man himself :P even if that means kWhs are getting slightly more expensive.
  • Thanks for the heads up, Marc. Good to hear the news from the man himself :P even if that means kWhs are getting slightly more expensive.
  • Aargh! The 1st day I change, you increase it!
  • Aargh! The 1st day I change, you increase it!
  • The increase for my region works out at 3% electric and 11.62% gas. if you pay the same amount for each that would be an average of 7.3%. Obviously the more you spend on electricity relative to what you spend on gas the lower the figure would be and vice versa.

The post says "For a typical household using both electricity and gas, the average cost will rise by 5.63%"..this is interesting, because that means a typical household spends far less on gas than electric...so...
    I had a look at the figures using the Ofgem typical domestic consumption figures <--link which are 12.000kWh for gas and 3100kWh for Electricity. for a medium user

Here's my working out using figures for my area - (I didn't have time to look at other regions), and which are:

Gas 2.625 to 2.93p/kwh difference = 0.305p/kWh x 12000= £36.60
    Elec. 12.138 to 12.502p/kWh difference =0.364p/kWh x 3100= £11.28
    total increase= £47.88

original cost before increase = 12000x2.625p(=£315 gas) + 3100x12.138p(=£376.28 electric)=£691.28
    As you can see the typical spend on electricity is higher than the spend on gas. (in fact it's either 20% more than gas or 16% less than electric depending on which you start with when using Ofgem/PP figures)
    so percentage increase for typical ofgem medium user is (47.88/691.28)x100%= 6.92%

I wonder how is the 5.63% is calculated?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not using your lottery numbers then....(but I bet it's still competitive)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ingham View Post
    Aargh! The 1st day I change, you increase it!
    Last edited by woz; 03-09-18 at 19:04.
  • The increase for my region works out at 3% electric and 11.62% gas. if you pay the same amount for each that would be an average of 7.3%. Obviously the more you spend on electricity relative to what you spend on gas the lower the figure would be and vice versa.

The post says "For a typical household using both electricity and gas, the average cost will rise by 5.63%"..this is interesting, because that means a typical household spends far less on gas than electric...so...
    I had a look at the figures using the Ofgem typical domestic consumption figures <--link which are 12.000kWh for gas and 3100kWh for Electricity. for a medium user

Here's my working out using figures for my area - (I didn't have time to look at other regions), and which are:

Elec. 12.138 to 12.502p/kWh difference =0.364p/kWh x 3100= £11.28
    total increase= £47.88

original cost before increase = 12000x2.625p(=£315 gas) + 3100x12.138p(=£376.28 electric)=£691.28
    As you can see the typical spend on electricity is higher than the spend on gas. (in fact it's either 20% more than gas or 16% less than electric depending on which you start with when using Ofgem/PP figures)
    so percentage increase for typical ofgem medium user is (47.88/691.28)x100%= 6.92%

I wonder how is the 5.63% is calculated?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not using your lottery numbers then....(but I bet it's still competitive)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ingham View Post
    Aargh! The 1st day I change, you increase it!
  • Hi woz.
    Love the maths but you have not factored in the membership which has not changed.this makes the total spend £865.28 and the £47.88 rise you worked out when taken as a percentage of that figure gives the 5.63%.
  • Hi woz.
    Love the maths but you have not factored in the membership which has not changed.this makes the total spend £865.28 and the £47.88 rise you worked out when taken as a percentage of that figure gives the 5.63%.
  • @Marc
    "Anyone getting a quote and joining Pure Planet today will also see the new rate, which will be in effect by the time their switch completes. "
    I thought a switch took 17 days? That would take us to 20th Sept?
  • @Marc
    "Anyone getting a quote and joining Pure Planet today will also see the new rate, which will be in effect by the time their switch completes. "
    I thought a switch took 17 days? That would take us to 20th Sept?
  • ha!.....and to think I was going to visit you for a jar of honey and now you don't know where you live, or is that a hint...

for anyone else who doesn't know where they live, here's a link<--- to the current prices* (no pun intended), multiply the unit rates shown on r.h.s of your bill by 1.05 and match the figures to a region on the chart.
    (*Only valid until 30th Sept)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Ph well it is what it is,pretty sure im still saving £1000 per year compared to SSE, but it would help if i knew what region i was in.haha
  • ha!.....and to think I was going to visit you for a jar of honey and now you don't know where you live, or is that a hint...

for anyone else who doesn't know where they live, here's a link<--- to the current prices* (no pun intended), multiply the unit rates shown on r.h.s of your bill by 1.05 and match the figures to a region on the chart.
    (*Only valid until 30th Sept)

Ph well it is what it is,pretty sure im still saving £1000 per year compared to SSE, but it would help if i knew what region i was in.haha
  • Thanks Marc. It would be good if we could know the % change of each region. Is that possible?
  • Thanks Marc. It would be good if we could know the % change of each region. Is that possible?
  • hi jon
    good point well made!
    I wondered about that, but since the price of membership wasn't changing and thus was not part of the increase, I didn't include it.
    You're quite right..I calculated the percentage increase in energy unit costs.

Back to the bottom of the class then...

Hi woz.
    - - - Updated - - -

hi Ian
    I haven't checked, but if you give me one region of interest I'll do a quick calc later. (no time to do them all!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianpocock View Post
    Thanks Marc. It would be good if we could know the % change of each region. Is that possible?
  • hi jon
    good point well made!
    I wondered about that, but since the price of membership wasn't changing and thus was not part of the increase, I didn't include it.
    You're quite right..I calculated the percentage increase in energy unit costs.

Back to the bottom of the class then...

Hi woz.
    - - - Updated - - -

hi Ian
    I haven't checked, but if you give me one region of interest I'll do a quick calc later. (no time to do them all!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianpocock View Post
    Thanks Marc. It would be good if we could know the % change of each region. Is that possible?
  • I’ve only just changed to Pure Planet too! I thought at the time, “I know it’s variable, but how likely is a price change immediately?!” Here’s my answer...
  • I’ve only just changed to Pure Planet too! I thought at the time, “I know it’s variable, but how likely is a price change immediately?!” Here’s my answer...
  • hi Gerry, look on the bright side...you get a month at the old rates (there isn't a sarcastic emoticon, or if there is I can't see it on my laptop)
    ...anyway welcome to PP and the community!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrybeanz View Post
    I’ve only just changed to Pure Planet too! I thought at the time, “I know it’s variable, but how likely is a price change immediately?!” Here’s my answer...
    Last edited by woz; 05-09-18 at 13:33. Reason: horizontal dustbin
  • hi Gerry, look on the bright side...you get a month at the old rates (there isn't a sarcastic emoticon, or if there is I can't see it on my laptop)
    ...anyway welcome to PP and the community!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrybeanz View Post
    I’ve only just changed to Pure Planet too! I thought at the time, “I know it’s variable, but how likely is a price change immediately?!” Here’s my answer...
  • recalculation due to not reading what's in front of me (very minor error I originally stated 12.502 and it was 12.506) and also reconsideration of adding the cost of membership and discount.
    Quoted prices are for one area only:

Elec. 12.138 to 12.506p/kWh difference =0.368p/kWh x 3100= £11.41
    total increase= £48.01

PLUS as a separate calc including monthly membership rate of £204 and less dual fuel discount £30=£865.28

% increase in energy cost only for typical ofgem medium user is (48.01/691.28)x100%= 6.95%
    % increase in total cost for typical ofgem medium user is (48.01/865.28)x100%= 5.55%
    (or 5.36% if you ignore the £30 discount)

I still wonder how is the 5.63% is calculated?
    Last edited by woz; 05-09-18 at 15:24. Reason: penny tree wilt
  • recalculation due to not reading what's in front of me (very minor error I originally stated 12.502 and it was 12.506) and also reconsideration of adding the cost of membership and discount.
    Quoted prices are for one area only:

Elec. 12.138 to 12.506p/kWh difference =0.368p/kWh x 3100= £11.41
    total increase= £48.01

PLUS as a separate calc including monthly membership rate of £204 and less dual fuel discount £30=£865.28

% increase in energy cost only for typical ofgem medium user is (48.01/691.28)x100%= 6.95%
    % increase in total cost for typical ofgem medium user is (48.01/865.28)x100%= 5.55%
    (or 5.36% if you ignore the £30 discount)

I still wonder how is the 5.63% is calculated?
  • Me, I don't bother with the Maths n % rates, get bill pay it end of, no dithering n no delay. Dd is much better than payment card.

I know nowt about kilowots cos never got shown in school. Teachers should teach kids life skills, how t balance budget n accounts, work outhourly rate of wages x per annum. Kids av got it to easy, I never had a calculater I had t use my bonce with mental Arithmatic, still do in Maths at College.

Anyway I got my statement tday, it sez opening meter reading in Aug, then another reading on 3 Sept, so why does it say estimate with a big bill. PP may be friends of Earth but not my bank balance.
    Last edited by Kniterella; 05-09-18 at 18:25.
    Peace and Luve

Yours in Stitches

Ory 🌏🌞
  • Me, I don't bother with the Maths n % rates, get bill pay it end of, no dithering n no delay. Dd is much better than payment card.

I know nowt about kilowots cos never got shown in school. Teachers should teach kids life skills, how t balance budget n accounts, work outhourly rate of wages x per annum. Kids av got it to easy, I never had a calculater I had t use my bonce with mental Arithmatic, still do in Maths at College.

Anyway I got my statement tday, it sez opening meter reading in Aug, then another reading on 3 Sept, so why does it say estimate with a big bill. PP may be friends of Earth but not my bank balance.
    Peace and Luve

Yours in Stitches

Ory 🌏🌞
  • Moved to you 2 months ago for the good tariff.... didn’t last long. I won’t hold my breathe for you to lower those rates! I guarantee it’ll cost more than stated too as the estimated usage used is very low.
  • Moved to you 2 months ago for the good tariff.... didn’t last long. I won’t hold my breathe for you to lower those rates! I guarantee it’ll cost more than stated too as the estimated usage used is very low.
  • I've not even been with pure planet 2 weeks yet and already I have a rate rise.

Would be nice to be protected from rate rises for a period of time for new subscribers. A lot of other services do this.
  • I've not even been with pure planet 2 weeks yet and already I have a rate rise.

Would be nice to be protected from rate rises for a period of time for new subscribers. A lot of other services do this.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Dcng View Post
    I've not even been with pure planet 2 weeks yet and already I have a rate rise.

You can protect yourself from rate rises with a fixed rate tariff from the big 6 companies. I used to, but it was always a gamble. You have to bet on whether wholesale prices will go up or down, especially as you are usually paying above the cheapest tariff to start with.

I think every company has raised their price in the past few weeks and blamed higher wholesale prices. So when I switched to PP a month ago I expected their price to go up, but believe them enough to expect them to reduce the cost if wholesale prices fall again.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Dcng View Post
    I've not even been with pure planet 2 weeks yet and already I have a rate rise.

You can protect yourself from rate rises with a fixed rate tariff from the big 6 companies. I used to, but it was always a gamble. You have to bet on whether wholesale prices will go up or down, especially as you are usually paying above the cheapest tariff to start with.

I think every company has raised their price in the past few weeks and blamed higher wholesale prices. So when I switched to PP a month ago I expected their price to go up, but believe them enough to expect them to reduce the cost if wholesale prices fall again.
  • Well said Stephen 👍. Couldn’t have put it better myself 👏.
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN

Avatar - Saturn pics slightly boring so socks it is!
  • Well said Stephen 👍. Couldn’t have put it better myself 👏.
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN

Avatar - Saturn pics slightly boring so socks it is!
  • South West please...
  • South West please...
  • Can you confirm that the rates do always come down though when the wholesale market drops? And what you use to calculate wholesale costs? I do like the PP model and very much on board with the concept but keen to know how you model the costs. Thanks
  • Can you confirm that the rates do always come down though when the wholesale market drops? And what you use to calculate wholesale costs? I do like the PP model and very much on board with the concept but keen to know how you model the costs. Thanks