• Smart Meter

Hi I am in process of switching to pure planet. I have cooling off period. I am absolutely determined not to have a smart meter. If I do not get assurance that SM is not obligatory I will cancel please advise

- - - Updated - - -

How to contact pure planet? Customer services?
  • Hi I am in process of switching to pure planet. I have cooling off period. I am absolutely determined not to have a smart meter. If I do not get assurance that SM is not obligatory I will cancel please advise

- - - Updated - - -

• Hello kesto
    Welcome to the community.
    Under NO circumstances can you be forced to have a smart meter,if you dont want one and many people dont then you dont have to have one. Its your choice.
  • Hello kesto
    Welcome to the community.
    Under NO circumstances can you be forced to have a smart meter,if you dont want one and many people dont then you dont have to have one. Its your choice.

• Quote Originally Posted by Kesto81 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

hi Kesto, welcome.
    PP don't have telephone support, communication is via HELP in the app if it's account related/personal, it's not live chat service, but you'll get a reply usually in a day or if busy in a day or two; for more general queries there's this community. Sometimes messages on here do get picked up by staff.
    I hope that helps.
    edit...
    oh...forgot to ask...I'm curious if you want to share the reason, why don't you want a smart meter?
    Last edited by woz; 27-08-18 at 23:03. Reason: bow tie spin due to windy conditions.

- - - Updated - - -

hi Kesto, welcome.
    PP don't have telephone support, communication is via HELP in the app if it's account related/personal, it's not live chat service, but you'll get a reply usually in a day or if busy in a day or two; for more general queries there's this community. Sometimes messages on here do get picked up by staff.
    I hope that helps.
    edit...
    oh...forgot to ask...I'm curious if you want to share the reason, why don't you want a smart meter?

• Hi @Kesto81
    Welcome to the community!
    Thanks for posting
    Great to hear you're switching to Pure Planet. @Jon1 is spot on - nobody will be forced to have a smart meter.
    So no need to worry
    Although like @woz I am interested as to why?
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Hi @Kesto81
    Welcome to the community!
    Thanks for posting
    Great to hear you're switching to Pure Planet. @Jon1 is spot on - nobody will be forced to have a smart meter.
    So no need to worry
    Although like @woz I am interested as to why?

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

• 1.Three of my friends have seen excessive billing. To compound this the dispute is not going anywhere as the company states smart meters cannot go wrong. This happened immediately after installation.
    2. I am retired, only two of us live. There is no fancy usage. I always send my meter reading on date every month.
    3. This meter is 10 yrs old and time tested. Why to change if this meter will last at least 50 yrs. Smart meters can go wrong and last only few yrs like a BB router.Then the dispute and I dont want any hassle at this stage.
  • 1.Three of my friends have seen excessive billing. To compound this the dispute is not going anywhere as the company states smart meters cannot go wrong. This happened immediately after installation.
    2. I am retired, only two of us live. There is no fancy usage. I always send my meter reading on date every month.
    3. This meter is 10 yrs old and time tested. Why to change if this meter will last at least 50 yrs. Smart meters can go wrong and last only few yrs like a BB router.Then the dispute and I dont want any hassle at this stage.

1.Three of my friends have seen excessive billing. To compound this the dispute is not going anywhere as the company states smart meters cannot go wrong. This happened immediately after installation.
    They can and do go wrong..HERES <---link) an article. (bearing in mind that it is from the Daily "we don't like smart meters" Telegraph)
    Last edited by woz; 28-08-18 at 17:08. Reason: lyrical wax melted prematurely
    1.Three of my friends have seen excessive billing. To compound this the dispute is not going anywhere as the company states smart meters cannot go wrong. This happened immediately after installation.
    They can and do go wrong..HERES <---link) an article. (bearing in mind that it is from the Daily "we don't like smart meters" Telegraph)

• Marc I am still not clear how to write to the company. The terms and conditions say that they email regarding installation of smart meter, and if no one is there for access , they will charge for that day. I just want to write to company that I do not want smart meter. I know it also says in T &T it is not compulsory and you said so. Do I take this is official?
  • Marc I am still not clear how to write to the company. The terms and conditions say that they email regarding installation of smart meter, and if no one is there for access , they will charge for that day. I just want to write to company that I do not want smart meter. I know it also says in T &T it is not compulsory and you said so. Do I take this is official?

• Hi kesto.
    Yes its offical you do not have to have a smart meter.
    The charge you mention is for anyone who arranges an engineer visit and then are not home to let them in.
    When the time comes PP will email you about smart meters at which point you will be able to say no thanks.no need to write in now.
  • Hi kesto.
    Yes its offical you do not have to have a smart meter.
    The charge you mention is for anyone who arranges an engineer visit and then are not home to let them in.
    When the time comes PP will email you about smart meters at which point you will be able to say no thanks.no need to write in now.

• Hi @Kesto81
    Yes, it is official. Smart meters will not be compulsory.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesto81 View Post
    Marc I am still not clear how to write to the company. The terms and conditions say that they email regarding installation of smart meter, and if no one is there for access , they will charge for that day. I just want to write to company that I do not want smart meter. I know it also says in T &T it is not compulsory and you said so. Do I take this is official?

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Hi @Kesto81
    Yes, it is official. Smart meters will not be compulsory.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesto81 View Post
    Marc I am still not clear how to write to the company. The terms and conditions say that they email regarding installation of smart meter, and if no one is there for access , they will charge for that day. I just want to write to company that I do not want smart meter. I know it also says in T &T it is not compulsory and you said so. Do I take this is official?

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

• Hello Kesto and welcome.
    I work in the smart metering programme and can confirm it is absolutely not compulsory to have a smart meter (even though some energy companies would claim otherwise to get you to have one).

That being said, the benefits of smart metering are not just automated readings. Meters can alert when there's a problem, inform the network operators when there's a power outage (rather than someone having to phone them), yes they're in their infancy but everyone had a problem with the internet when that first started and look how that went
  • Hello Kesto and welcome.
    I work in the smart metering programme and can confirm it is absolutely not compulsory to have a smart meter (even though some energy companies would claim otherwise to get you to have one).

That being said, the benefits of smart metering are not just automated readings. Meters can alert when there's a problem, inform the network operators when there's a power outage (rather than someone having to phone them), yes they're in their infancy but everyone had a problem with the internet when that first started and look how that went

Hi Kesto
    as a belt and braces approach, (since it seems to be worry for you) if your meter is inside and someone comes to change it don't allow them access, if it's outside put a note on it saying you do not wish to have a smart meter (and take a photo).

My reply is a little tongue in cheek because getting a smart meter is an OPT-IN process. If you don't actively opt in you won't get one.
    Hi Kesto
    as a belt and braces approach, (since it seems to be worry for you) if your meter is inside and someone comes to change it don't allow them access, if it's outside put a note on it saying you do not wish to have a smart meter (and take a photo).

My reply is a little tongue in cheek because getting a smart meter is an OPT-IN process. If you don't actively opt in you won't get one.

• Quote Originally Posted by MrSmart View Post
    Hello Kesto and welcome.
    I work in the smart metering programme and can confirm it is absolutely not compulsory to have a smart meter ....
    That being said, the benefits of smart metering are not just automated readings. Meters can alert when there's a problem, inform the network operators when there's a power outage (rather than someone having to phone them) ...
    Nice post @MrSmart

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Quote Originally Posted by MrSmart View Post
    Hello Kesto and welcome.
    I work in the smart metering programme and can confirm it is absolutely not compulsory to have a smart meter ....
    That being said, the benefits of smart metering are not just automated readings. Meters can alert when there's a problem, inform the network operators when there's a power outage (rather than someone having to phone them) ...
    Nice post @MrSmart

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​